Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Bought myself a Quest 2 for Christmas for the primary purpose of hooking it up to the new PC I built at the end of last year and playing Star Wars Squadrons and Half Life Alyx. I had the quest delivered to my family home where I'm spending Christmas and bought Walking Dead Saints and Sinners through the headset in the Oculus store. I've read something about crossplay games but it's difficult to find a definitive answer online - will it be possible to download it on my PC for free when I get home, and then play it via Oculus link with better graphics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Sweet! Is there an equivalent steam demo? I couldn't find one.

NmareBfly posted:

Someone on Reddit made a SteamVR steam sale guide if you're one the clearly-insane people that got something other than an Oculus from Santa.

Thank you.

Falcon Age Looks like someone loving modeled a falcon in VR and then tried to make a game around it. Awesome.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Butterfly Valley posted:

Bought myself a Quest 2 for Christmas for the primary purpose of hooking it up to the new PC I built at the end of last year and playing Star Wars Squadrons and Half Life Alyx. I had the quest delivered to my family home where I'm spending Christmas and bought Walking Dead Saints and Sinners through the headset in the Oculus store. I've read something about crossplay games but it's difficult to find a definitive answer online - will it be possible to download it on my PC for free when I get home, and then play it via Oculus link with better graphics?

You want to Google a list of 'cross buy' games, and sadly there aren't that many. I think this came up a few weeks ago and someone said they've quietly stopped doing it for new games iirc

Edit Maybe I'm wrong? I see someone saying after the fall has cross buy so I'm not positive but it is definitely confusing as you can tell.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 28, 2021

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Butterfly Valley posted:

For saints and sinners, yes. If a game lists the platform as “Rift, Quest” then you can automatically use it on PC over airlink as well

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
Thanks to whoever recommended Tetris Effect earlier, this'll be my new "zone out for an hour" game.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Butterfly Valley posted:

You are interested in 'cross buy' games, not cross play. Here is the list
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/section/2335732183153590/#/?_k=mwk5sj

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

LLSix posted:

Sweet! Is there an equivalent steam demo? I couldn't find one.

Don't think so, but https://moonrider.xyz/ is a decent knock-off so you can see if you like the genre.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I could swear the episodes of Space Explorers costed money before, but now they are all free. You may want to check it out.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Oh my, Synth Raiders is exactly what I needed right now. Just excellent. Also got my strap for the DAS and I cannot believe how much of a game changer that thing is. The fit is incredible and I no longer have focus or comfort issues. I'm just IN THERE. So light too.

Top notch all around. The controllers are bit off though, I feel like I need something else on them as they're not big enough or too slippery or something. Will look for something to put on them like I did my Quest 1. Any that you guys love?

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

23 Skidoo posted:

I specifically went back and chose the other path for that reason, occurring thrice.

Wait, there's another path?!

I'm on my 3rd playthrough, this time to just collect all the treasure. Kind of nice not feeling the anxiety/fear of death when all the weapons are maxed out. The wolves still trigger some instinctual fear though.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
I can't seem to talk any of my friends irl to reset their quest 2, so if anyone here wants to do the double reset/referral shoot me a pm and we can set it up.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

I think someone here got Song In the Smoke when it was released. What's the final verdict?

That was me.

It has some interesting mechanics. The whole survival feeling was pretty great until you realized how much wood you needed for everything, including building a fire at night every night. Some things are really not intuitive or explained well, but once you conquor each part it starts to feel good.

That said, I got to the third area (or fourth, if you count the demo/tutorial area) and was attacked at night by a seemingly invincible enemy that didn't give a gently caress about fire. I sort of lost interest and haven't played since then.

One major con is there is NO autosave, even after sleeping, you always have to manually save. Lost a few hours of play to that once. Felt real bad. Probably worthy if it goes on sale, but I haven't played their "savage" update either.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Reek posted:

I can't seem to talk any of my friends irl to reset their quest 2, so if anyone here wants to do the double reset/referral shoot me a pm and we can set it up.

I'm interested, PM'd you.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

CrazyLittle posted:

Yup. It gets way more complex in many different ways.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1145716350

The slow blade penetrates the shield.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Reek posted:

That doesn't work any more, they patched out the reset loophole a few days ago (I just got my Quest and tried to do it lmao, confirmed with some ppl on reddit too)

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Turin Turambar posted:

You are interested in 'cross buy' games, not cross play. Here is the list
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/section/2335732183153590/#/?_k=mwk5sj

Thanks to all for the help. So if I'm understanding it right, I should be able to download the PC version of Saints and Sinners on the Oculus store when I get back, and it'll be a version designed to make use of the better hardware in my PC to then link back to the headset?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah, when connected via Link/AirLink the headset becomes just a regular PC headset, and the version of S&S you then play is the PC port installed on your machine. They're separate games though, literally two different ports, so your progress won't carry over from one to the other, unless there's some cloud syncing in place that I'm not aware of.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Shine posted:

I have a tiny Noctua ca6n in mine and I like it. Zero fogging issues since I installed it, and it does keep my face noticeably cooler.

I just ask because I feel like I should do something useful with it and I can’t think of anything else besides tater tot storage.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bad Munki posted:

I just ask because I feel like I should do something useful with it and I can’t think of anything else besides tater tot storage.

I have several friends with an Index who swear by a fan in the Frunk. Definitely get one.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Anyone else with a Reverb find that the connection between the main cable and the headset gets screaming hot?

I think that may be the cause of my disconnection issues... maybe.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

That doesn't work any more, they patched out the reset loophole a few days ago (I just got my Quest and tried to do it lmao, confirmed with some ppl on reddit too)

drat, I knew I waited too long.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Welp, death lap kinda sucks. Not because of motion sickness but because the controls are just the weirdest way I can imagine trying to control a car.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Welp, death lap kinda sucks. Not because of motion sickness but because the controls are just the weirdest way I can imagine trying to control a car.

I tried it at launch and I thought everything about it sucked

the cars are no fun to drive

the courses are boring as hell and wide open

the power ups weren't fun to use

I've felt pretty similarly about every made for VR racing combat game I've tried, I don't think anyone has really nailed the mario kart of VR yet

it's definitely doable, good racing games feel GREAT in VR

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I think the best racing game, or the one that will be a breakout success, will be a cart-flyer. I just don't think driving on a flat loving road is interesting when you can literally do anything else. So I imagine the VR equivalent of the planes in Diddy Kong Racing tbh

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Anyone done a VR version of Decent yet?

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Rare if you're reading this please get to work on the Diddy Kong racing port

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

KakerMix posted:

Anyone done a VR version of Decent yet?

Yes, it’s called overload and some of the original descent devs worked on it as well

https://store.steampowered.com/app/448850/Overload/

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Inzombiac posted:

Anyone else with a Reverb find that the connection between the main cable and the headset gets screaming hot?

I think that may be the cause of my disconnection issues... maybe.

That wasn't it.

I'm gonna stop bitching in this thread because there's no universal solution; SteamVR just sucks major assssss.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

forest spirit posted:

I think the best racing game, or the one that will be a breakout success, will be a cart-flyer. I just don't think driving on a flat loving road is interesting when you can literally do anything else. So I imagine the VR equivalent of the planes in Diddy Kong Racing tbh

Z-Race is kinda like this. Your hand is the "car" and you wiggle it around like a kid with their hand out the car window

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Lemming posted:

Then in the second and third episodes they add the force and guns which makes the lightsaber pointless to use lol

Can you deflect the lasers back at them with the lightsaber?

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006

roffels posted:

Wait, there's another path?!

I'm on my 3rd playthrough, this time to just collect all the treasure. Kind of nice not feeling the anxiety/fear of death when all the weapons are maxed out. The wolves still trigger some instinctual fear though.

I keep selling all the treasures, 'cause Daddy needs Tuned Up weapons.
Yeah, when you have Ashley it's either a heap of ganados (heaps more fun than a girl getting crushed repeatedly, or El Gigante, you just use the big lever in the middle to choose your poison.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

panic state posted:

Can you deflect the lasers back at them with the lightsaber?

You can do that in the lightsaber dojo in episode 1. There's lil training spheres flying around. Bit of a bitch too cause they go behind you and that's hard to deflect when you are sitting in bed or on a chair playing.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

DelphiAegis posted:

That was me.

It has some interesting mechanics. The whole survival feeling was pretty great until you realized how much wood you needed for everything, including building a fire at night every night. Some things are really not intuitive or explained well, but once you conquor each part it starts to feel good.

That said, I got to the third area (or fourth, if you count the demo/tutorial area) and was attacked at night by a seemingly invincible enemy that didn't give a gently caress about fire. I sort of lost interest and haven't played since then.

One major con is there is NO autosave, even after sleeping, you always have to manually save. Lost a few hours of play to that once. Felt real bad. Probably worthy if it goes on sale, but I haven't played their "savage" update either.

This is me except I didn’t even get as far before losing interest.

It’s weird because I was pretty high on the game based off first impressions but it never delivered.

The first bit of the game gave me a very anticipatory feeling like it was building up to something awesome once you figured out all the crafting mechanics - I got a huge “this is gonna be a prehistoric Saints and Sinners” vibe - but instead it just got boring somehow.

And, of course, by the time you realize this you’re outside the return window.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

You can do that in the lightsaber dojo in episode 1. There's lil training spheres flying around. Bit of a bitch too cause they go behind you and that's hard to deflect when you are sitting in bed or on a chair playing.

Another good reason to stand is that if you lunge at certain times, you can get free hits on robots outside of their normal block -> counterattack patterns, as well as moving out of the way of lasers shooting at you (I'm pretty sure about the dodging, I don't remember for absolute sure. I'm sure about that first thing though)

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yea, learned that from playing the superhot demo and getting repeatedly shot in the face/neck because I have the reflexes of a drunk sloth.

Wiggling the blade near a training remote is fun though.

There was some vr game, blade and something or swordsmanvr? that had a star wars mod with some cool looking saber effects and fighting. Haven't had a chance to really research it yet though.

Oh yea, on that quest bundle, the skyward brawl game or whatever it's called is just like Yugi oh but with medieval knights and spells. There's a single match against the ai, and then you play publicly. I didn't enjoy it much. So far sculptvr and the zombie land game are the fun ones of the group.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

EmuVR looks really cool, it's basically a little vr room with a bunch of tvs to play emulated games on. Duck Season played straight I suppose? It uses retroarch so there's a lot of supported consoles. I'm still fiddling with it but it feels cozy as gently caress, turn on snowy winter outside and turn down the lights.

https://www.emuvr.net/

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Tagichatn posted:

EmuVR looks really cool, it's basically a little vr room with a bunch of tvs to play emulated games on. Duck Season played straight I suppose? It uses retroarch so there's a lot of supported consoles. I'm still fiddling with it but it feels cozy as gently caress, turn on snowy winter outside and turn down the lights.

Wow this looks super cosy. Going to try this with the wife asap. Thanks for the link!

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

There was some vr game, blade and something or swordsmanvr? that had a star wars mod with some cool looking saber effects and fighting. Haven't had a chance to really research it yet though.

drat you got the force homie because that would be the blade and sorcery mod The Outer Rim which just got it's huge update. It's bonkers how much poo poo is in the mod

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Tagichatn posted:

This really needs a native quest port

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

TraderStav posted:

Oh my, Synth Raiders is exactly what I needed right now. Just excellent. Also got my strap for the DAS and I cannot believe how much of a game changer that thing is. The fit is incredible and I no longer have focus or comfort issues. I'm just IN THERE. So light too.

Top notch all around. The controllers are bit off though, I feel like I need something else on them as they're not big enough or too slippery or something. Will look for something to put on them like I did my Quest 1. Any that you guys love?

Bumping this to see if day crew has any recommendations they love on grips. I may just drop on the mamut brand that I had for the Quest 1 unless there's other input to consider. Thanks!