Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Aardvark! posted:

The whole show is just like... Better than I was expecting lol

I have fond memories of watching this with my mum every Saturday night at 7:30 in the mid 90s. Such a quaint, oddball show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

HOLY gently caress posted:

especially Brian Blessed constantly shouting :allears:

Or talking normally as he likes to call it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Is anyone else watching the final season of Claws? I can see why they'd bury this show, since the satire is walking a loving tightrope. Trying to work out how nasty it's willing to go with this, but we'll see. Anyway, I'm enjoying it.

Oh, and it's always fun to see character actors like Julie Anne Emory, Juliet Landau and Linda Hamilton pop up in things, on top of Carrie Preston and Judy Reyes. It's just a great cast.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Dec 27, 2021

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Alhazred posted:

Or talking normally as he likes to call it.

My favorite Blessed story was the one where he was on stage at a sci-fi convention, and the host tried to hand him a microphone, and he refused it,

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

Do we have a picture of Angela Lansbury?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Davros1 posted:

My favorite Blessed story was the one where he was on stage at a sci-fi convention, and the host tried to hand him a microphone, and he refused it,

hahaha that loving rules

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Davros1 posted:

This has nothing to do with the microphone story, but I will use any and all openings to post one of the phenomenal bits of Blessed cursing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBhPDxszukU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Did I mess something up that I can’t find the setting for, or does HBOMax really aggressively only want me to watch stuff in English?

I tried watching season 2 of Beforeigners and it won’t even give me the option to not watch in English, and anything from Ghibli it reverts to English if I pause for more than a minute or two. It’s really strange.

I set you to Japanese cause I like it that way! Stop fighting me!

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Beforeigners season 2 is gloriously insane.

Two way timetravelers have superpowers now and super-Alfhildr just punched super-Jack The Ripper and the space time continuum exploded on an episode cliffhanger. She should have watched Timecop!

Also, is anyone watching The Silent Sea ? It's a Korean sci fi show set on the moon as a team is sent to retrieve some samples from an abandoned lunar base. It's got serious case of Prometheusitis where everyone makes dumb decisions when dealing with extremely deadly substances but it's keeping up the pace in twists and reveals. And it's got Doona Bae who makes anything 10 times more compelling. Even when watching a screen she's captivating.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CeeJee posted:

Also, is anyone watching The Silent Sea ? It's a Korean sci fi show set on the moon as a team is sent to retrieve some samples from an abandoned lunar base. It's got serious case of Prometheusitis where everyone makes dumb decisions when dealing with extremely deadly substances but it's keeping up the pace in twists and reveals. And it's got Doona Bae who makes anything 10 times more compelling. Even when watching a screen she's captivating.

I found it incredibly slow and silly (despite wanting to be desperately serious about everything) and thought the characters were pretty shallow despite the amount of time the show is clearly devoting to them.

It's also very similar to a certain semi-famous Doctor Who episode, to the point where I suspect it's just a straight up ripoff, with a strong dash of James Cameron's Aliens thrown in.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Oh my God is it the Who episode with Tennant fighting evil Martian water because lol

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

FilthyImp posted:

Oh my God is it the Who episode with Tennant fighting evil Martian water because lol

Yep. Got it in one.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

🎵 I'm blue
Yeah I'm a blue Shrek, guy
Step a foot in my swamp
And you're gonna die 🎵
I was going through Doctor Who and Torchwood in chronological order with my spouse (she'd seen up until the last Matt Smith season and I had never seen any of it) and there were two episodes that got me to stop. First was the paving stone blowjob episode of the Tennant run, and then the impregnated by aliens episode of Torchwood's second season. Both were just so incredibly stupid, mean-spirited, and apparently designed to piss off the audience.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Instead of watching bad kids' time travel tv, why not try short-lived 80s adventure series Voyagers?

Working through it with my son at the moment, and happy that he's on board. Its fast paced, with good writing, competent characters and lots of heart.

When I was 10 I wished I was Jon-Eric Hexum (RIP) and 30 years later I still do.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I just noticed that Netflix is making an Archive 81 show premiering in january, i'm a big fan of the podcast so I hope it will be good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
God…..Station Eleven is really fuckin good

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What's the tone of Station Eleven? I get the sense from the trailer that it's very ~inspirational~

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

God…..Station Eleven is really fuckin good

I need to sit down and actually remember everything I watched that came out this year, but I honestly think it might be my favorite show of 2021. If not, certainly in the top five. With the caveat of course that it might poo poo the ending, but so far at least it just hits the exact perfect note for me.

Maybe this is because I was more selective in my viewing this year, but I think 2021 had a higher than usual quality of TV for me.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

It’s that vague tone of “drama” that doesn’t have a super easily definable sense. It’s not grim but it touches on serious topics, or it’ll be funny but it’s certainly not a comedy. It definitely has a tone but it’s enough of its own thing that I’m hesitant to say it’s like X or Y without being incredibly misleading.

Honestly, “post-apocalyptic character stories about art and humanity in adverse situations but not taking itself as bone serious as that sounds” should probably give you an idea.

Like, it’s after almost everyone in the world dies of hell-plague and they give that the gravity it deserves, but also in episode 2 a dude auditions for their wandering acting company by doing the Bill Pullman speech from Independence Day with swelling music and the whole deal so it’s not humorless.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

feedmyleg posted:

What's the tone of Station Eleven? I get the sense from the trailer that it's very ~inspirational~

it DEFINITELY feels like the earlier seasons of LOST or the entire run of the leftovers. marinating and sloshing around in a mysterious, strange world where just enough is off, you've lost calibration as a viewer, etc. camera work and score are also very leftovers.

it's good. but ultimately, i find it hard to go in and out of these shows every week. these are the shows i love to marathon in a single run.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

It’s like Leftovers without as much misery. Definitely not like what you describe there.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

muscles like this! posted:

I started listening to the Always Sunny podcast and it is pretty fun. Ostensibly it is supposed to be a rewatch podcast where Glenn, Rob and Charlie watch the show in order with each podcast episode being about each show episode but really it is just the three of them screwing for 30 minutes and sometimes talking about a related subject. That is if it doesn't get derailed like Glenn starting to talk about the first time he got drunk but instead Rob gets him to tell the story where Glenn (accidentally) hung himself at a Christian camp.

Is he a rug?

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Station Eleven is absolutely fantastic. It definitely does have a LOST but devastating global pandemic plus a dash of Leftovers feel to it but in the best possible way. I adore the novel and it's strong throughout so I don't think there will be any issue in how the show wraps up.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I’m not picking up the LOST vibe even a little bit. Can you elaborate? The only things I can think of that they have in common is stuff like “more things are being revealed as the show progresses” and “episodes will center on different characters”, and they also share that with like Downton Abbey so it’s not much of a comparison.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Station 11 is like a poo poo filled balloon. It feels like it is heavy (because it is) but what is inside it is. . . just poo poo.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

You got an actual criticism or did you just come up with that line and want to use it?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Vitruvian Manic posted:

Station 11 is like a poo poo filled balloon. It feels like it is heavy (because it is) but what is inside it is. . . just poo poo.

:blastu:

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Loving season two of saved by the bell, just as good as season one.
It’s the only show where someone motivates another character like this:
“Are your dreams big enough if they don’t scare you a little bit? Sorry, I saw that on a pop-up ad for a dildo.”

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Xiahou Dun posted:

I’m not picking up the LOST vibe even a little bit. Can you elaborate? The only things I can think of that they have in common is stuff like “more things are being revealed as the show progresses” and “episodes will center on different characters”, and they also share that with like Downton Abbey so it’s not much of a comparison.

Episode 5 spoiler: Veronica Mars’ dad has shown up in day zero and theatrical troupe stuff and doesn’t appear to have aged

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

station eleven is the best thing on tv by a lot.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CeeJee posted:

Beforeigners season 2 is gloriously insane.

Two way timetravelers have superpowers now and super-Alfhildr just punched super-Jack The Ripper and the space time continuum exploded on an episode cliffhanger. She should have watched Timecop!
It also have Olav the Holy appearing on talkshows, vikings explaining the importance of seatbelts and maybe Odin himself trying to solve a criminal case.

I also like how Alfhildr is not the sensible one. It really feel like she's from another time in that she has different ideas about beauty standards and social conventions. In shows like Vikings for example all the women has perfect skin and remove their body hair unlike Beforeigners who shows that that would not be the case for women living in that era

It is a little annoying that they couldn't come up with Norwegian title for the show though.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Dec 29, 2021

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm through 3 episodes of Station Eleven and I don't think I get it yet. I'm willing to stick with it because of all the praise but it feels like a rudderless ship.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Episode 3 is the one that really sold me, so that makes me :(

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I’m two episodes in to Brand New Cherry Flavor, and apart from being a little weird, nothing of interest has really happened, does it get more interesting?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It gets better and then significantly worse

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Through the 5 episodes of Station Eleven that are out: How did the logistics people know beforehand that the flu would be so bad? Were they involved in transporting experimental superflu? Along the same lines, even Day 1 at the airport, why did everyone react like it was a world ending flu? Did I miss something?

In any case, I like the show a lot more than I did thru 3 eps. Per my comment in the spoiler text, E3 was befuddling but E5 made a lot more sense.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

Through the 5 episodes of Station Eleven that are out: How did the logistics people know beforehand that the flu would be so bad? Were they involved in transporting experimental superflu? Along the same lines, even Day 1 at the airport, why did everyone react like it was a world ending flu? Did I miss something?

In any case, I like the show a lot more than I did thru 3 eps. Per my comment in the spoiler text, E3 was befuddling but E5 made a lot more sense.

My guess: I think the implication in the show, like in Jeevan's phone call with his sister in the first episode, is that the "day 1" is the first day that major governments acknowledge how bad it is, but that the flu has been spreading in Asia and Russia before the "official" start, and so by the time of day 1 there has already been a big impact in services and output from the effected regions. That being said, I think the timing of the flu outbreak and how it can seemingly infect and kill (some) people within hours (hence the security guard at the building dying at his desk, or the plane crashing in the first episode) doesn't make a ton of sense, but I think it adds to the slightly dream/nightmare like quality of it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

I don’t understand the type of person who watches TV and gets hung up on stuff like this at all!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Alhazred posted:

It is a little annoying that they couldn't come up with Norwegian title for the show though.

Fremvandrerne. It’s a pun in Norwegian and once you get it, you hear them say it constantly for obvious reasons.

Another good Norwegian word I learned is Kongemorder “regicide”, literally “king murder”.

As to the Station Eleven disease chat (spoilered cause disease and not spoilers) : It’s certainly novel but it’s not like it’s the T virus or some other sci-fi weirdness. It’s a highly infectious disease with a long incubation period and a really debilitating but brief symptomatic stage. And the 1918 Influenza Epidemic was a solid chunk of the way to doing that and or, you know, the Plague. Things like the security guard dying could be someone who was infected for a long time but was feeling fine, then he starts getting worse and worse at his desk, maybe he falls asleep or something and by the time he’s really bad off no one’s around to help him.

Yeah, it’s an unlikely thing but it’s not exactly a giant blow to suspension of disbelief. And considering we’ve got entire multimedia franchises built around stuff like an alien who is also an ancient god gets in punch-fights with robots, I don’t think asking the audience to go along with the premise of “what if like a disease was really bad” is that big a demand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

Episode 5 spoiler: Veronica Mars’ dad has shown up in day zero and theatrical troupe stuff and doesn’t appear to have aged

I really hope they weren't just reusing the actor and it's actually the same character and he was just wearing a bad wig and pretending to be Italian for some unexplained reason.

Lori Petty also looks exactly the same in the present day and when we first see her 18 years before, so maybe they just don't care that much about making everyone look old, which is fine by me. Lori Petty rules by the way, just in case anyone didn't know.