Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

mossyfisk posted:

There's a bunch of Minbari in the dockers guild, maybe they prefer loading ships to being a harmonious peasant, or they want to live outside of their caste prescriptions.

Hopefully, when the time comes to return to homeworld, they'll bring the bizarre Earth concept of the labor union.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

s01e14 - By Any Means Necessary
  • It's cool that they aren't doing the Star Trek "alien monoculture" thing, and there's more than one religion/culture per species (e.g. not all Narn are followers of G'Quan.)
  • Neat, they're calling all the way back to the first or second episode for the sake of a character grudge. I like that kind of continuity.
  • I totally called it several episodes back, when Sinclair helped out Londo at G'Kar's expense, that next time it'd be the other way around.
  • The episode did a good job of making you feel the vise that was squeezing Sinclair and Garibaldi, forcing them into doing something they hated and knew was wrong.
  • The happy ending of the A plot (the strike) was a little abrupt. I'm fine with Sinclair's letter-of-the-law cleverness, but it felt unrealistic that all the workers would cheer and go back to work instantly upon hearing a single number. At the very least they'd want a few more details, or something in writing first. I mean, I can forgive it, since "let's go back to the negotiating table and hash this out and then do another vote on the resulting proposal" wouldn't make for very thrilling TV now that you know the central conflict is resolved. But it still feels like a hit to the realism of the characters, and I bet it could have been done quickly enough not to bog things down.
  • I also have an astronomical quibble with the ending of the B plot. The light-years thing may work from a timing perspective, but the light reaching them just then still wouldn't be the same light that touched (or at least grazed) the mountain unless the star, planet and station all happened to precisely line up at the exact correct moment. I don't know, maybe I'm just misunderstanding the phrase "the sunlight that has touched the mountain", and the timing is good enough. And it's implied that no one had thought of this technicality before, so it's likely there's no official theological ruling on it anyway and they're just kind of playing it by ear. So yeah, quibble withdrawn.

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 26, 2021

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

s01e14 - By Any Means Necessary
  • I also have an astronomical quibble with the ending of the B plot. The light-years thing may work from a timing perspective, but the light reaching them just then still wouldn't be the same light that touched (or at least grazed) the mountain unless the star, planet and station all happened to precisely line up at the exact correct moment. I don't know, maybe I'm just misunderstanding the phrase "the sunlight that has touched the mountain", and the timing is good enough. And it's implied that no one had thought of this technicality before, so it's likely there's no official theological ruling on it anyway and they're just kind of playing it by ear. So yeah, quibble withdrawn.

You are trying to make sense of religion

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

s01e15 - The Quality of Mercy
  • Cool, it's a Lost In Space mini-reunion! It's a pity June Lockhart and Bill Mumy had no scenes together, though.
  • Also cool, an episode with no A plot but three B plots. I've always kind of liked that construction, though you shouldn't do it too often. And hey, two of the plots even merged at the end, which is always fun.
  • If the thing about Minbari and alcohol is true (that even a small amount of it sends them into violent rages), you'd think that'd be a pretty well-known fact among people like ambassadors, who would want to prevent unfortunate incidents at formal receptions.
  • So we just clearly saw Londo's penis, or one of his penises, at any rate. That's... not a sentence I was expecting to type today.
  • Speaking of which, I'm obscurely proud of myself for seeing Londo's statue in the background of the opening scene, and noticing that it had both boobs and the sideways-mohawk that we've only seen on Centauri males.
  • I'll just say it: the "life energy transfer" machine is bad, lazy writing, especially where it swaps specific diseases and injuries to the other person. Yes, Star Trek has done the same thing, but it was dumb there too.
  • I'm still not entirely sure what the point of the psychic scan of the murderer guy was, other than to convince the audience that yes, he was an evil psycho. In-universe, why exactly did they traumatize Talia for this?
  • Super tiny thing I noticed: in the last courtroom scene where June Lockhart was cleared, the judge banged his gavel sideways, with the cylinder part horizontal. Never seen that before. I wonder if it was intentional or just the actor slipping up.
  • I was starting to think this would be our first Sinclair-less episode, but he popped up at the end. (Incidentally, I want to say he and Garibaldi are the only ones that have appeared in every episode so far. Anyone know if I'm right?)

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

Cool, it's a Lost In Space mini-reunion! It's a pity June Lockhart and Bill Mumy had no scenes together, though.

Look closely at the courtroom scene with her and you'll see Mumy out of makeup in the background.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Action Jacktion posted:

Look closely at the courtroom scene with her and you'll see Mumy out of makeup in the background.

Yay! :neckbeard:

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Powered Descent posted:

• I'll just say it: the "life energy transfer" machine is bad, lazy writing

It really is. It's like something out of a bad Doctor Who episode. You see it in a lot of bad sci-fi and it's always just the writers throwing their hands up and using "MAGIC SPACE MEDICINE!" to handwave their way through a plot they got bored of writing.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

[
  • If the thing about Minbari and alcohol is true (that even a small amount of it sends them into violent rages), you'd think that'd be a pretty well-known fact among people like ambassadors, who would want to prevent unfortunate incidents at formal receptions.

It's probably a well-known fact among the ambassadors who actually give a poo poo.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Just finished S2:
lmao this show just murdered the idea of subtext with a rusty knife
I'm still loling.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 28, 2021

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

s01e16 - Grail
  • Oh hey, it's David Warner. Cool. He's even playing the same "spiritual good-guy warrior" type that he did in Quest of the Delta Knights.
  • The bad guy is named Deuce. We were making so many jokes about flushing him out, Garibaldi wiping downbelow until it's clean, etc. etc. :haw:
  • We've only met a few Minbari, and probably none of them are warrior caste. I bet they'll be... different.
  • I like Ivanova's bit at the very end. "No boom today, boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow."

s01e17 - Eyes
  • I wonder how much Kawasaki paid for the product placement.
  • Hey, the telepath, that's Jeffrey Combs! :neckbeard: They're on a roll, guest-star-wise.
  • So where anyone else would have been arrested for everything from drunk & disorderly to multiple assaults, Ivanova gets off scot-free because she's friends with the cop.
  • Okay, the main bad guy here is just WAY too over-the-top evil. It's impossible to take him seriously. The inevitable Trek comparison is to the TNG episode "The Drumhead", which handled this a lot better: Admiral Satie was outwardly reasonable and even pulled Worf into her orbit before she revealed herself as being on a witch hunt. The point of that episode was, and I quote, "Villains who twirl their mustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well-camouflaged." This villain twirled his mustache and flaunted his malevolence every chance he got, and the story was much shallower for it.

And one other (general) thing that's just occurred to me: Every single shot of the entire show so far has been in space. The camera hasn't gone down to a planet even once. That's kind of remarkable.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Powered Descent posted:

s01e17 - Eyes
  • I wonder how much Kawasaki paid for the product placement.

Less than you might think, and possibly nothing. The WB had three new genre shows in the 1993 slate - Babylon 5, Time Trax and Kung Fu: The Legend Continues - and the network promoted all three shows with a competition where the top prize was a Kawasaki bike. Thus, the bike had to appear in all three shows. This was no problem for the other two as they were set in 1993, but B5 was more of a problem. There were definitely rewrites involved, as Eyes was the last episode of S1 to be produced, but I don't know if Kawasaki insisted that their bike appeared in space or if it was the WB's idea.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

[*] Okay, the main bad guy here is just WAY too over-the-top evil. It's impossible to take him seriously. The inevitable Trek comparison is to the TNG episode "The Drumhead", which handled this a lot better: Admiral Satie was outwardly reasonable and even pulled Worf into her orbit before she revealed herself as being on a witch hunt. The point of that episode was, and I quote, "Villains who twirl their mustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well-camouflaged." This villain twirled his mustache and flaunted his malevolence every chance he got, and the story was much shallower for it.
[/list]

Apparently this was the actor's choice. He was going through some personal stuff and used the over the top acting as a coping mechanism.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

s01e18 - TKO
  • A low-stakes, character-focused episode like this is a nice change of pace now and then.
  • They waited something like fifteen episodes to call back to Ivanova and her father. Interesting choice, I'd almost forgotten about that whole thing.
  • I was going to say this episode predicted the rise of mixed martial arts, but I looked it up and apparently the UFC was founded the year before this episode aired.
  • Speaking of the early 90s, neon sign for Zima! :lol:
  • Overall, I enjoyed Ivanova's story a little more, even though almost nothing actually happened in it. (But then I've never really cared for sports stories where the sport is the entirety of the story.)
  • I had to google the episode title to figure out what the hell it meant. Turns out it's a boxing term.

e: What the hell is the deal with this Nazi-looking thing on the wall?

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 29, 2021

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

That's Garibaldi, the chief of security for B5. :v:

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
The genius of B5 is that even the worst episodes have something of value. The episode where Ivanova confronts the fact that she hasn't properly mourned her father and is one of the most authentically Jewish things to have even been on TV this side of Seinfeld is the same episode as the Kumite: Blood Sport homage complete with an H-list Van Damage stand-in.

Which one is good and which one is bad, I leave as an exercise for the viewer.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

A lot of people think TKO is the worst B5 episode so if you enjoyed it you should be smooth sailing from now on. I'm personally with you, I don't think it's that bad and the Ivanova story is good any way you slice it.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Boom shakalakalaka three bags full!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Powered Descent posted:

s01e18 - TKO
I was going to say this episode predicted the rise of mixed martial arts, but I looked it up and apparently the UFC was founded the year before this episode aired.

Not that anyone had ever heard of it.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Midjack posted:

I laughed

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Vitruvian Manic posted:

The genius of B5 is that even the worst episodes have something of value. The episode where Ivanova confronts the fact that she hasn't properly mourned her father and is one of the most authentically Jewish things to have even been on TV this side of Seinfeld is the same episode as the Kumite: Blood Sport homage complete with an H-list Van Damage stand-in.

Which one is good and which one is bad, I leave as an exercise for the viewer.
It is simply too much for me that they have Ivanova's mourning cut to goofy alien punching. This is my least favorite episode. HUMANS MAY NOT FIGHT IN THE MUTAI. Uggh.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

TKO: The Ivanova stuff is good, but the fighting plot is one of the lamest parts of the entire series. This episode is what people are thinking of when they (wrongly) claim S1 sucks and tell new viewers to skip it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Sweevo posted:

TKO: The Ivanova stuff is good, but the fighting plot is one of the lamest parts of the entire series. This episode is what people are thinking of when they (wrongly) claim S1 sucks and tell new viewers to skip it.

I have to confess, I like this episode.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Sweevo posted:

Yeah. But I do think that telling new folks to even skip this episode is just so wrongheaded. I simply can not imagine watching the rest of the series without having seen Ivanova’s half of TKO. It’s just such a critical character moment for her.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

A lot of people think TKO is the worst B5 episode so if you enjoyed it you should be smooth sailing from now on. I'm personally with you, I don't think it's that bad and the Ivanova story is good any way you slice it.

Chevy Slyme posted:

Yeah. But I do think that telling new folks to even skip this episode is just so wrongheaded. I simply can not imagine watching the rest of the series without having seen Ivanova’s half of TKO. It’s just such a critical character moment for her.

Ivanova's half is kind of like the TNG episode Family -- a pause to let a normally very stoic character process some emotions. I don't mind in the least that there's no threat to the station to be thwarted or mystery to be solved or galaxy-spanning political issue to be untangled.

The fighting half is just kind of... there. I didn't hate it, it's not aggressively bad or anything, it's just that it's essentially packing peanuts around the more interesting storyline. Meh. :geno:

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The fighting part seems like a concession to suits when they read the treatment for the episode consisting of a lapsed russian jew dealing with her loss of faith and the loss of her father. There seem to be a lot of those kind of tradeoffs for a better story throughout.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Chevy Slyme posted:

Oh yeah, I'm not saying to skip anything, just that this is what the people who do tell others to skip seem to think all of S1 is like for some reason.

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Dec 30, 2021

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Whenever the boxing bit comes up I just hit the fast forward/skip button. Easy solution.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

Midjack posted:

:v:

But seriously, folks, what is the deal here? My best guess: it's just the color-number-sector designation with an alien symbol in it instead of the number. I have vague recollections of seeing similar signs with different colors around the outside and different symbols but I can't recall exactly where or what episode(s). Is this like "Red 3" in Zorblonian, and no one in the production staff noticed the unfortunate similarity to :godwinning:?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

:v:

But seriously, folks, what is the deal here? My best guess: it's just the color-number-sector designation with an alien symbol in it instead of the number. I have vague recollections of seeing similar signs with different colors around the outside and different symbols but I can't recall exactly where or what episode(s). Is this like "Red 3" in Zorblonian, and no one in the production staff noticed the unfortunate similarity to :godwinning:?

It's an inverted "z" from the Babylon 5 station typeface; I suspect your guess is correct and the color scheme is just an unfortunate coincidence.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Red for red sector, Z for Zocalo.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Midjack posted:

It's an inverted "z" from the Babylon 5 station typeface; I suspect your guess is correct and the color scheme is just an unfortunate coincidence.

Yup, I think so. This is from the next episode in line:

It looks much more benign in a different color palette, and with a less... angular symbol. (As for this episode, we got partway into it and then had to pause for unrelated reasons; I'll post my usual full reaction once we're able to finish it.)

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
s04e12 – Conflicts of Interest
  • Garibaldi is doing PI work and he’s about to get his first assignment with the pro-Earth group
  • Zathras is back! But he’s not Zathras. He’s Zathras. Or something. Oh, there’s a family of them.
  • btw how does Zathras have furs? 🤔
  • Oh poo poo it’s Garibaldi’s ex!, Lise (who’s not at all acting chill about this being-sneaked-in thing)
  • Oh good, Sheridan is going to use the White Star fleet as cops
  • Lise and crew have an isoblock that’s used in biotech. There’s a genetic flaw in the telepaths and they’re trying to find a way to counteract it without causing a panic.
  • intense Garibaldi eye action
  • lmao that message he deleted from Lise was actually something important, right?
  • Garibaldi is heading to Mars to work for Edgars
  • first Voice of the Resistance broadcast

s04e13 – Rumors, Bargains and Lies
  • first of all, I’m very upset about the lack of Oxford comma in the title.
  • Minbar is falling into civil war. I really liked Delenn’s monologue about the destruction of her home
  • Sheridan’s kinda been a dick lately btw
  • oh god, the religious caste people are about to commit suicide together
  • good lord the amount of gaslighting in this episode
  • Lennier in sickbay for being self-sacrificial again and this time he lost part of his lung
  • Neroon bein a backstabbing rear end in a top hat

s04e14 – Moments of Transition
  • Garibaldi has to help Edgars transport some pharmaceutical materials to Io; I’m assuming it’s telepath-related
  • Lyta’s out of work without the Vorlons, and no one will touch her since she’s not with Psi Corps
  • and right on cue it’s Bester!
  • The Religious caste is officially surrendering. Delenn left a message with Lennier.
  • lmao at Shakiri jumping out of the Starfire Wheel
  • Goddamn, Neero just had a conversion experience and took Delenn’s place
  • aaaand Lyta’s Psi Corps now
  • Hell yeah, the Grey Council is back! And Delenn tilts things towards the Workers
  • Delenn left the space in the middle in tribute to Neroon until it’s taken by “the one who will be” (Sheridan)
  • Sheridan starting up his offensive campaign after Clark attacks a bunch of civilian refugees

s04e15 – No Surrender, No Retreat
  • super serious right off the bat
  • B5 crew still being super manipulative
  • lmao @ Garibaldi’s Marge grunt when Vir tells him about the campaign against Earth
  • I don’t think I’ve said it before, but Londo and G’Kar are clearly the best actors on the show. This scene with them is just stellar, like most of their scenes together. I’m curious how much stage experience they have.
  • :siren: SHOTS FIRED :siren:
  • Cpt MacDougan of the Vesta stands down after Sheridan passes a CHA roll
  • Sheridan gets his first major victory and liberates Proxima III. G’Kar and Londo sign their joint statement
  • Garibaldi leaves B5

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

discoukulele posted:

s04e12 – Conflicts of Interest

• I don’t think I’ve said it before, but Londo and G’Kar are clearly the best actors on the show. This scene with them is just stellar, like most of their scenes together. I’m curious how much stage experience they have.

Andreas Katsulas is a character actor of wide experience, including multiple roles on Star Trek series.
Peter Jurasik is an acting instructor at UNC Wilmington and also has an extensive credits list on IMDB.
And yes, they're perfectly cast to play off each other, in the best written roles on the whole show. More than anything else, just on the strength of the performances, Babylon 5 is G'kar and Londo's story.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

G'Kar and Londo certainly stand head and shoulders above everyone else. Both incredible actors with incredible roles. If I were going to pick who the single main character of B5 is, I'd say it's Londo, but yeah him and G'Kar are the core of the show. Which is really interesting to me because the show wants you to think Sheridan is the main character, maybe Sheridan and Delenn, but nah--it's Londo. Everything ultimately revolves around him.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Honestly, despite how I think by volume there's more Human stories, the very first episode (after the pilot, at least) was a Londo and G'kar story, and that did a whole lot for setting out what kind of show B5 would be and their continuing stories that constantly affect eachother may be the coolest part of the show.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
s04e16 – The Exercise of Vital Power
  • lots of people defecting to the resistance side
  • Garibaldi has his meeting with Edgars and bumps into his ex. They’re going to try to take down Sherian’s force from the inside.
  • lmfao “First, I want you to tell me what you think about telepaths.”
  • This telepath is killing it in the face-acting department
  • The brain implants are accelerants and without the shadow ships to connect with, the telepaths would be getting stir crazy and violent if they were awake
  • Edgars’ real fight is against the telepaths. Clark is empowering the telepaths. The corporations (who, of course, are actually running everything) are getting anxious about Clark/the telepaths.
  • Dr. Franklin seems pretty defeated by whatever Sheridan’s plans are for the telepaths and he’s starting to realize that Sherian really has changed.
  • Edgars instructs Garibaldi to capture Sheridan and bring him to him. Garibaldi plans to use Sheridan’s father, using info about his blood disease
  • We still don’t know wtf happened when Garibaldi went missing

s04e17 – The Face of the Enemy
  • Sheridan’s father has been captured
  • lmfao at this incredibly OOT tranq’d-up bar fight
  • now ya done it, G
  • Edgars created the anti-telepath virus
  • lmfao at how loving huge this fake tooth is
  • Garibaldi has an eye camera and a way to contact Bester. Bester thinks the virus might be Shadow tech.
  • Garibaldi gets returned to normal with his memory intact
  • Some telepaths killed Edgars and kidnapped Lise

s04e18 - Intersections in Real Time

Don’t have a whole lot of specific things to say about this one. It was a fascinating episode. I’m really curious to find out what was real and what wasn’t after that ending.

s04e19 – Between the Darkness and the Light
  • hell yeah get it, Lyta
  • I mean, if he has level 12 blocks that only a Psi Cop can put in his head, doesn’t that kinda prove that he’s been tampered with?
  • Oh poo poo, so Lyta can just send memories to people
  • Everyone’s teaming up to rescue Sheridan
  • Earth is using Shadow tech ships
  • oh drat, Ivanova :(
  • fantastic episode, but now I’m depressed. drat.

s04e20 - Endgame
  • Ivanova’s still dying. This sucks.
  • One of Sheridan’s teachers from the academy is waiting for him on the Earth side
  • oh poo poo, just opening up a jump gate in the atmosphere
  • hell yeah Marcus use the healing device, why didn’t anyone else suggest that? ugh
  • Clark ded
  • I am supremely on board for trading Marcus for Susan
  • And Marcus finally says “I love you” :(

Anyways that was a fantastic arc of episodes, and I'm looking forward to finishing up the season tomorrow, probably :D

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
s04e21 – Rising Star
  • yayyyyy Ivanova survived!
  • it’s also great to see her get a scene where she gets to really act her heart out
  • and I mean, I’m sad for Ivanova, but Marcus never really developed as a character for me
  • also gotta point out that Sheridan is much more attractive with facial hair
  • This interrogation scene makes me realize that I want a Garibaldi spinoff about his time as a PI
  • I mean… the option to resign and still get a pension and whatnot is a p sweet deal tbh.
  • gently caress yes lmao @ the Daffy bomb
  • :( @ Lennier’s scene with Delenn where they talk about unrequited love
  • Alright, settin up a new Alliance
  • lmao yay President Sheridan
  • So, my understanding is that, at this point, they were getting canceled, right? Because this all definitely feels like a series finale.
  • and Mars is gaining independence
  • gently caress yes Captain Ivanova!
  • I love this friendship that Londo and G’Kar have come around to
  • oh my god, what the gently caress @ G’Kar watching them bone
  • So yeah, that definitely felt like a series finale, but I’m curious about why there’s another episode this season

s04e22 – The Destruction of Falling Stars
  • What the gently caress is happening
  • so 100 years of peace followed
  • A lot of people died in the first year. Colony of TP’s on B5 because they throught they could manage them. They couldn’t. Eventually there was the Telepath War. Garibaldi may have been shot.
  • some kinda incident with Delenn & Sheridan’s son
  • Sheridan died on Minbar, but there’s some kind of other story that people believe
  • Delenn may still be around and living in seclusion
  • an elderly Delenn, flanked by other Minbari, shows up to stand up for her man
  • Babylon 5 was destroyed 20 years after the events of S4
  • Earth eventually broke from the Alliance. Earth split internally, as well.
  • Holographic Garibaldi takes out a military base
  • 1000 years in the future, things feel very Dark Ages. This monastery is not being recognized by Rome. Earth got destroyed in the war 500 years ago (the Great Burn). The younger priest is doubting a myth about Lorien. Prophecy says that the Rangers will return to rebuild the Alliance.
  • So I guess you can make an argument that Holographic Garibaldi kicked off the events that led to the Great Burn (but it probably would’ve happened anyways tbqh)
  • The Rangers are on Earth and are blending in with society while attempting to secretly rebuild
  • The sun is going super nova, but a new Earth is being created and everything we’ve seen was more or less a time capsule
  • that scene of the man in the far future entering his suit is loving sick. And whattdaya know, the suit kinda looks like a Vorlon suit

An amazing ending to a fantastic season. I still have a lot to process with that finale. I"m really curious about what exactly season 5 is going to look like, or when it's going to take place. I'm wondering if it's going to be about Sheridan & Delenn's son? I'm also hoping that we get some kind of resolution to what was predicted for Londo and G'Kar. We saw the parasites starting to appear on Centauri Prime, but the whole build-up to Londo getting one never really happened, and we don't know anything about how Sheridan's "crusade" led to the destruction of Centauri Prime. Unless that was supposed to be an alternate future that they diverted from? Anyways, I'm super stoked about starting the new season and I'm so torn on whether to watch the first one tonight or not.

e: also, I'd love some more info about Sheridan's vision

discoukulele fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 4, 2022

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Basically, episode 21 is a lead in to a finale that was shot, because, yeah they didn’t think they’d get a season 5. When season 5 was ordered, they filmed S4 e22 first, and held the s4 finale, which is a true epilogue for the whole series, for after s5. So you’ll see it then. I don’t think it’s a particularly meaningful spoiler to say that it’s set around the decommissioning of the station, 20 years later, so just waiting a year to air it didn’t really affect anything.

Season 5 picks up right where season 4 left off before the Deconstruction fast-forward interlude. It’s the story of the first year of the new Alliance, and of Sheridan’s struggles as it’s first president to guide it through that infancy.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 4, 2022

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
Sweet, I'm definitely looking forward to it. I think that I might actually go ahead and watch Thirdspace and In The Beginning before I start the next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

discoukulele posted:

Sweet, I'm definitely looking forward to it. I think that I might actually go ahead and watch Thirdspace and In The Beginning before I start the next season.

Not a bad idea. It’s a real good time to watch both. Thirdspace is kind of the Monster of the Week episode that Season 4 was so desperately missing because of the Almost-Cancellation panic rush to wrap up all the outstanding arcs. In the Beginning is a nice look at the historical events that you’ve learned about by now from an outsiders perspective.