Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

ColTim posted:

Garden hermits or ornamental hermits were hermits encouraged to live in purpose-built hermitages, follies, grottoes, or rockeries on the estates of wealthy landowners, primarily during the 18th century. Such hermits would be encouraged to dress like druids and remain permanently on site, where they could be fed, cared for, and consulted for advice, or viewed for entertainment.[1]

literally my dream job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

literally my dream job

there was a stately home in england looking for someone to do that job a few years ago and iirc the bloke who got it was fired because he kept slipping off to the pub rather than hermiting

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
During the recording sessions, bass player Darryl Jones introduced Sting to Davis, who was an idol of his. Sting was startled when Davis asked if he spoke French; after he said yes, Davis asked him to translate the Miranda warning into French and yell it into the microphone against a backing track.[5]

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ColTim posted:

Garden hermits or ornamental hermits were hermits encouraged to live in purpose-built hermitages, follies, grottoes, or rockeries on the estates of wealthy landowners, primarily during the 18th century. Such hermits would be encouraged to dress like druids and remain permanently on site, where they could be fed, cared for, and consulted for advice, or viewed for entertainment.[1]

this was a bit in a stoppard play too.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
very helpful page with lots of useful information

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
curious as to why you posted that one, friend

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

is that sarcastic or

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

it is weird that it's a timeline of childrens literature but also a whole bunch of other stuff. i know there aren't a lot of kids who can finish "the souls of black folk"

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Jonny 290 posted:

curious as to why you posted that one, friend
did you look at the page

i found it because i was looking for african-american children's literature, i posted it because >90% of the page is poo poo like

• Hattie McDaniel becomes the first African-American to win an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for her performance as Mammy in Gone with the Wind.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

he describes making an omelette for Charlie Parker with "fried onions, marmalade, maple syrup, bacon, tomatoes, covered with hot mayonnaise with some garlic fried in it and a little cheese sauce", saying they "wolfed down portions of it" with borscht and orange soda.[23]

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

literally my dream job

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Parahexavoctal posted:

he describes making an omelette for Charlie Parker with "fried onions, marmalade, maple syrup, bacon, tomatoes, covered with hot mayonnaise with some garlic fried in it and a little cheese sauce", saying they "wolfed down portions of it" with borscht and orange soda.[23]

Profound "apocalyptically drunk, or apocalyptically hungover, no in-between" energy

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

In contemporary Mexico the term is used for a number of sauces, some quite dissimilar, including mole amarillo or amarillito, mole chichilo, mole colorado or coloradito, mole manchamantel or manchamanteles, mole negro, mole rojo, mole verde, mole poblano, mole almendrado, mole michoacano, mole prieto, mole ranchero, mole tamaulipeco, mole xiqueno, mole pipián, mole rosa, mole blanco, chimole, guacamole and huaxmole.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
want to eat every single one of those

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

holy mole

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

yeah i could eat those

man i love food

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Van Halen bought the Frankenstrat's northern ash body and maple neck (which was a factory reject) for $130 from Wayne Charvel and Lynn Ellsworth, who sold Boogie Body bodies and necks. Van Halen was able to purchase the factory second body at a discount price of $50 due to a knot in the wood. The $80 neck had jumbo fret wire, and its truss rod was adjustable at the heel. But new evidence reveals where the creation of Ed’s Boogie Bodies actually took place. Research from Frankenstein historian & luthier, Donny Ward, concluded a very valid theory of the actual origin of Ed’s Boogie Bodies purchase, as company paper work never documented these months very well or never. Ward’s research indicated that at the time, Ellsworth was in no position to mass produce the first 100 body order from Charvel, as Ellsworth primary shop abilities was for his furniture business. Therefore he couldn’t fulfill Charvel’s request. Ellsworth had to turn down the build offer. The 100 body order became a reality at the more experienced Schecter guitar factory in the San Fernando Valley. New to this type of guitar building, Charvel received an educational crash course from Schecter on these builds while fulfilling Charvel’s order. Yet Donny Ward’s research found Schecter’s templet body outline of this batch of 100 resembles the Schecter template rather than a Ellsworth template. Also a theory emerged that Charvel still stamped inked the bodies as “Boggie Bodies”, even though this 100 batch was done at the Schecter factory with his supervision and advice. Charvel watched and learned. Charvel wasn’t a master builder. Also, probably some bodies were not stamped. This batch was delivered and sold at Charvel’s Azusa, California workshop. Ward’s calendar dating and the Schetcher template connection on the 100 batch is great evidence that Eddie’s body was from this very Schecter build session, indicating Ellsworth’s hands were never on the physical design or build of Ed’s Boogie Body plank in reality. Luthier Johnny B did a massive research project on the Frankie after The Met museum show on guitar history in where the real Frankenstein was on display. Through photos made from The Met display, Johnny B detailed the very “notch” in the lower body hook and how off the body’s stringer centerline was. Johnny B’s detailed how amazingly raw and crude the Frankie was in construction yet incredibly Ed made it work for years. Photo blow ups from The Met display also revealed to Johnny B of the hairline crack Ed made in the neck bolt socket in the body from fastening the neck too many times, thus forcing Ed to retire the Frankie. Ed and Ellsworth only had met months later after the 1st LP was released when Ellsworth demoed a new guitar at Pasadena’s Dr.Music where Van Halen shopped. Upon the demo the shop recommended Ellsworth get in touch with a guy named Eddie Van Halen. Ellsworth never heard of him. They called Ed and Ellsworth finally spoke to Ed. Right then Ed finally told him he already had one of his guitars with the Boogie Bodies. Thus the two sparked a relationship...

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I just read that article like four days ago haha

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I like how sometimes one thread or another will get talking about a specific topic, and then a day or two later there's a post in this thread that is obviously the result of that discussion.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

I like how
hes pretty great

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

He is. I don't know how anyone could dislike how

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

I like how sometimes one thread or another will get talking about a specific topic, and then a day or two later there's a post in this thread that is obviously the result of that discussion.

genuinely unrelated to anything on the forums, i was trying to job my memory about a thing eddie van halen did to his tremolos. it worked, because in that utter mess of an article *is* a very poorly-written attempt to explain how he jammed a coin into the void under the fine tuners so it didn't detune if he broke a string, but the writing of the article sent me scuttling here

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im literally blocking off the floyd rose trem bridge in the one guitar i own that has it because it's so loving impossible to keep in tune and i'm not a cool soloist that ever does a whammy bar dive bomb

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

im literally blocking off the floyd rose trem bridge in the one guitar i own that has it because it's so loving impossible to keep in tune and i'm not a cool soloist that ever does a whammy bar dive bomb

i spent ages setting up mine and it's perfect now - keeps tune better than most of my hardtails, i guess because there's no slack beyond the nut and bridge. the thing is i'm now utterly terrified of ever changing string gauge or even brand and having to go through all that poo poo again. in particular whoever decided that that intonation setting scheme was a good idea needs to be burned at the stake.

i should replace it with one of the ones based on the floyd rose 2, where there's a cam connected to the bar that locks it in neutral position when the bar is down - it's supposed to be a drop-in replacement but again i'm loving terrified of going through that setup again, and in the time it took me to get that right i managed to gently caress up the tone control on my other main guitar which means i have to dive back into the spaghetti nightmare back there caused by me setting up coil taps on it, and i have to laugh when people in the 3d printer thread talk about how 3d printers are somehow unique for requiring fettling to get them right

funnily enough easily the most low-maintenance of my guitars is the £99 squier mustang - it barely even needs tuning, it Just Works.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
there's some gluttonous rear end in a top hat out there that put an Evertune bridge on his rogue vi baritone

these have individual springs for each string, you basically tune it up on the peg until the pitch doesn't rise any more, then back it down a half turn, and actually tune it with a hex key on the bridge. it will then forever hold perfect tune no matter what dumbass tension you use
the problem with evertunes is that you have to mill away half the guitar body to make room

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Something Awful (SA) is a comedy website housing a variety of content, including blog entries, forums, feature articles, digitally edited pictures, and humorous media reviews.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

He is. I don't know how anyone could dislike how

I'm a big fan of the way in which.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Its front page featured a picture, entitled hello.jpg, showing a naked man, hunched over, widely stretching his anus with both of his hands to approximately the width of a grapefruit[citation needed].

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
A large orange[1], I would say.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Dec 29, 2021

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

[original research?]

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

quote:

In a seedy basement, Porter lies severely wounded with two gunshot wounds in his back from a .357 Magnum Colt Python revolver. A surgeon removes the bullets and Porter spends months healing.

He then begins tracking down Val Resnick, his former partner, and Lynn, his ex-wife, both of whom betrayed Porter and left him for dead following a $140,000 heist from the Chinese Triads. After leaving Porter for dead, Val rejoined the Outfit, a powerful criminal organization, using $130,000 of the heist money to repay an outstanding debt. Porter is intent on reclaiming his $70,000 cut.

Porter enlists the help of a call girl, Rosie, who is affiliated with the Outfit. Porter once served as her driver, during which time they developed a romantic friendship, which ultimately was the reason behind Porter's wife conspiring against him. To get his money, Porter is forced to deal not only with Resnick but with a lowlife named Stegman, with crime bosses from the Outfit, with the Chinese Triads and with corrupt police detectives Hicks and Leary.

He first finds Val and kills him with a .44 Magnum Smith & Wesson Model 29 revolver in Rosie's apartment. After the kill, Porter then takes Val's 9mm Beretta 92FS pistol. Following several unsuccessful attempts to reclaim his $70,000, Porter shoots one of the Outfit's top men, Carter, with a .45 SIG Sauer P220 pistol that he took from a bodyguard. He then kidnaps Johnny, the son of Bronson, the Outfit's head, and arranges for Hicks and Leary to be busted by their own colleagues.

The mob's top figures, Bronson and Fairfax, join the hunt to take him down. Porter is captured by The Outfit after a wild chain of events involving the Triads. After being tortured, he lures Bronson and his men to an apartment that had previously been rigged by a few of the Outfit's men, to a phone connected to dynamite. While they meet an explosive demise, he and Rosie (with her dog, also named Porter) drive off to begin a new life.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

if you hate loving with floyd rose bridges you have two options:

1. pay someone else to do it for you
2. do it yourself in a 95% sort of way and never _quite_ be perfect

i started with (1) but have been doing (2) for a few years and it's fine. just buy or make a legit block for while you're changing strings instead of using a pad of note cards or whatever if you're not gonna do them one at a time. then tune strings in the order 342516 to the opposite of wherever the string is at. like if a string is 3 cents flat, tune it 3 cents sharp. do that until everythings either tuned or good enough, it doesnt take long at all

idk i found some youtube video that said to do that a couple years ago and it works p well. im a lot less annoyed with my esp these days. that also might be because i mostly play my jazzmaster so i dont have to deal with it as much

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

not worthless, just a big :whitewater: in retrospect

quote:

Bill Cosby defended Reubens, saying, "Whatever [Reubens has] done, this is being blown all out of proportion."

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

..., compared to the poo poo I get up to"

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Unlike court jesters,[dubious – discuss] clowns have traditionally served a socio-religious and psychological role, and traditionally[when?] the roles of priest and clown have been held by the same persons.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Unlike court jesters,[dubious – discuss] clowns have traditionally served a socio-religious and psychological role, and traditionally[when?] the roles of priest and clown have been held by the same persons.

oh that is a good one rofl

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The ghost town of Two Guns, Arizona, once featured a zoo, gift shop, restaurant, campground, gas station, and "death cave".

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

that's more commas, than even danish can apply

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_Constantinople

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
i know fan wikis are cheating, but this was too funny

There are also 319 Sunset Sarsaparilla deputy badges, which are weightless and monetarily worthless (finding them all may require pulling crates off the top shelves).