Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
two weeks ago I decided I need to start doing a little exercise and did random sets of 10 of push-ups, squats as sit-ups while in teams meetings.

i hosed up my shoulder and it’s still not back to normal.

gently caress getting old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Ah man. Is it at least getting better? Rotator Cuff poo poo's the worst - give it some good rest and use a trackball.

Had you not done pushups in awhile? They're good exercise, but everyone young and old should start out with modified pushups at first.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I've been living in my current place for almost six years. It's astounding how many little pockets of life build up. I've got a whole drawer of random ointments, which is the most geriatric thing I think. Cortisone stuff, neosporin, lidocaine cream, diflonec gel, CBD balm, clove oil (must have if you get a dental issue), icy hot, etc etc.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I hate how much slower I bounce back from injuries as an old. I slipped on ice and fell badly and prob cracked a rib three weeks ago.

I’m still on ibuprofen and can’t sleep on my side like I always do. also coughing and sneezing feels like getting stabbed.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

axolotl farmer posted:

I hate how much slower I bounce back from injuries as an old. I slipped on ice and fell badly and prob cracked a rib three weeks ago.

I’m still on ibuprofen and can’t sleep on my side like I always do. also coughing and sneezing feels like getting stabbed.

i woke up with a really bad leg cramp in my calf 3 days ago. after the initial sharp pain subsided,

day 1 i could barely walk
day 2 i could walk ok but it still hurt
day 3 it actually got a bit worse again
today it's 100% fine

note the entire time i was doing my best to periodically walk it off, stretching, etc

vOv

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Plantar fasciitis is a bitch. Ever since I innocently didn't look where I was going and stepped into a pothole, and then a day later was in agony, I had to buy an ankle brace and a spiky ball, tape my ankle up like a mummy, and focus on going up steps on tiptoes instead of regular..

Worst is that in my sitch it seems to recur every so often to the point I'm thinking about getting one of those rechargeable scooters (the one you ride standing up, not the ones for the morbidly obese in Wall-E, though I'm morbidly obese)

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Ah man. Is it at least getting better? Rotator Cuff poo poo's the worst - give it some good rest and use a trackball.

thanks friend! it’s getting better, another week and it’ll be fine. luckily I have Xmas off so no desk sitting for me whatsoever.

come to think of it, the same day I exercised we started pulling out Xmas stuff and there were a lot of awkward lifts involved.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Binary Badger posted:

Plantar fasciitis is a bitch. Ever since I innocently didn't look where I was going and stepped into a pothole, and then a day later was in agony, I had to buy an ankle brace and a spiky ball, tape my ankle up like a mummy, and focus on going up steps on tiptoes instead of regular..

Worst is that in my sitch it seems to recur every so often to the point I'm thinking about getting one of those rechargeable scooters (the one you ride standing up, not the ones for the morbidly obese in Wall-E, though I'm morbidly obese)

Wearing running shoes consistently really helped mine. You sure you didn't get a stress fracture or something?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Nope had it X-rayed and everything. Good thing my GP recommended that I see a sports injury doctor rather than some humdrum podiatrist. He mentioned I had some bone spurs but they were totally inconsequential, especially in regards to the plantar.

What also helped was getting orthopedic sneakers, ones designed especially for my foot, along with some more expensive New Balances with custom inserts.

Still want to get a scooter just cause it seems people are bringing them onto the subway, buses, commuter trains, etc. I want to inconvenience surrounding passengers too with dirty wheels in their faces.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
sinus troubles getting worse as i get older. i noticed a few weeks ago that under certain conditions i make old man noises and i really don't like it

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Nope had it X-rayed and everything. Good thing my GP recommended that I see a sports injury doctor rather than some humdrum podiatrist. He mentioned I had some bone spurs but they were totally inconsequential, especially in regards to the plantar.

when i had a stress fracture (metatarsal) it didn't show up in the first xrays and it wasn't until i went back to the dr's the next month that it did

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Binary Badger posted:

What also helped was getting orthopedic sneakers, ones designed especially for my foot, along with some more expensive New Balances with custom inserts.

Still want to get a scooter just cause it seems people are bringing them onto the subway, buses, commuter trains, etc. I want to inconvenience surrounding passengers too with dirty wheels in their faces.

What finally worked for me was switching to shoes with a bit of a heel. Now I’m mostly back to wearing whatever but if I go a month or so only wearing sneakers / nothing, I start feeling it again.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
had sinus bullshit for a couple of weeks, was waiting for it to clear.

woke up with a swollen uvula and one ear doing some low grade ringing and hurting.

telehealth wrote me two antibiotics so i'll be on the mend soon but it sure was nicer when this didn't happen every other winter.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Blinkz0rz posted:

under certain conditions i make old man noises

conditions like "breathing" and "eating" and "moving"

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i went ice skating for the first time in 25 years and between sensory-induced nostalgia and my fully corroded just absolute dogshit skills, never have i ever felt so drat old

the skills do come back even after the first hour but what an hour

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'd like to ice skate but it never gets cold enough here now.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i've been ice skating once. it was in grad school. it was ok i guess

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
Aww! Woman Stills Believes She’ll Learn How to Skateboard Before She Dies

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
i miss ice skating but i have wide feet and the last time i was able to skate without foot pain was when i had a pair custom shaped to my foot

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Blinkz0rz posted:

i miss ice skating but i have wide feet and the last time i was able to skate without foot pain was when i had a pair custom shaped to my foot
this is very real, but i also don't think it's realistic to skate in anything more than just ok comfort for more than 15-30 minutes at a time. unless you're dropping nearly 4 figs on a pair of custom slates yeah

i was able to do 45-60 mins with a couple breaks (not bones thankfully) but hit that wall around then

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i fruitbooted so learning to ice skate was v easy. havent been in at least almost 20 years tho

then again when our pal rel_q's ankle collapsed during so it kinda put me off

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Blinkz0rz posted:

i miss ice skating but i have wide feet

ewok feet crew

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

graph posted:

eee-wok feet crew

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
so true, i have such a hard time finding well-fitting shoes i’m thinking about having some made

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i just pick whatever comes up on sketchers extra-wide every year and a half or whatever

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

my big issue is that i have the mortons toe thing where your big toe is missing a joint and is shorter than your second toe. as a result the shoes that fit me in length never fit me in width since my feet are like five inches across. it's hilarious looking at my running shoes next to my so's lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
haha ok thats goofy. i claim solidarity as i have brachydactyly and if i want to get into bowling i have to either start powerlifting or buy a custom ball for the thumb hole. also i cant play slap bass

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

mediaphage posted:

my big issue is that i have the mortons toe thing where your big toe is missing a joint and is shorter than your second toe.
Well I just realized how little I have paid attention to feet all these years

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

'barefoot' shoes are usually a good foot shape. some even look ok!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Well I just realized how little I have paid attention to feet all these years

the greeks, hosed up as they were, considered it an ideal form so you see it a lot on their statues. i think it’s like a 10% incidence

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

mediaphage posted:

the greeks, hosed up as they were, considered it an ideal form so you see it a lot on their statues. i think it’s like a 10% incidence

the greeks also considered democracy an ideal form and look where that got us

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

graph posted:

i fruitbooted so learning to ice skate was v easy. havent been in at least almost 20 years tho

then again when our pal rel_q's ankle collapsed during so it kinda put me off

yeah i learned to rollerblade jumping off this drainage ditch and landing in the dirt

ice skating on boring rear end flat ice holds no fear for me

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

ice skating on boring rear end flat ice holds no fear for me

yeah after being on ice for 6 minutes i was already doing crossovers haha

took a little bit longer for backwards inlines but yeah

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Jonny 290 posted:

haha ok thats goofy. i claim solidarity as i have brachydactyly and if i want to get into bowling i have to either start powerlifting or buy a custom ball for the thumb hole. also i cant play slap bass

a lot of people play with no thumbhole and there are a bunch of pros that use a two handed method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAwy1nsYoH8

you literally cannot even have a thumbhole on a ball if you're rolling two handed in the pba.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

mediaphage posted:

my big issue is that i have the mortons toe thing where your big toe is missing a joint and is shorter than your second toe. as a result the shoes that fit me in length never fit me in width since my feet are like five inches across. it's hilarious looking at my running shoes next to my so's lol

lmao ive never heard of this but ive got it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Mr. Nice! posted:

a lot of people play with no thumbhole and there are a bunch of pros that use a two handed method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAwy1nsYoH8

you literally cannot even have a thumbhole on a ball if you're rolling two handed in the pba.

haha this is rad

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

https://i.imgur.com/UJ9F3cG.mp4

yospos skate meetup

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

yospos only wishes it could be so fabulous

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
went for a walk yesterday. big mistake, lol. ankle hurts now. wtf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i had a somewhat high fasting blood glucose test at a small clinic last week and spent the whole week dreading a prediabetes or diabetes diagnosis. felt terrible and couldnt focus at work even more than usual

went to an endocrinologist today thought and did a whole bunch of blood tests, glucose tolerance test, and some others and everything came back completely normal and the endocrinologist said "idk what the hell kind of place you went to last week but it looks like you're totally fine. check back next year i guess"