Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Solar Coaster posted:

Buy the car and use its floor to repair your floor.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JMurder
Mar 3, 2006

I don't need no instructions to know how to ROCK!!!

McTinkerson posted:

NACA ducts on polycarbonate windows is a time honoured tradition after all.

NACA ducts make any vehicle way cooler.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Movie studios pay top dollar for a car that looks original and brand new.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Nitrox posted:

Movie studios pay top dollar for a car that looks original and brand new.

Yeah, but you might get the same horrible treatment as what happened to poor LobsterboyX with one of his cars

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

You Am I posted:

Yeah, but you might get the same horrible treatment as what happened to poor LobsterboyX with one of his cars

I don't know the details of this story but I can imagine. :smith:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

You Am I posted:

That car was rented to the movie studio, which is also common.

Big productions prefer to purchase outright, especially if they want to use it for promotional purposes later. That usually happens to lead cars, not extras. Also, if they plan to destroy the car during shooting.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Usually film productions just rent cars from companies like Picture Cars who keep a massive stock on hand and can buy more as necessary.

About 15 years ago I went to a Picture Cars lot in Brooklyn and they had a fleet of police and fire department vehicles going back to the 50s, new and old sports cars, burned out wrecks and pristine vintage cars, from mundane to luxury.

These days they have upgraded to a much fancier spot and it’s harder to see the collection, unfortunately. The last time I was there they had a bunch of armored swat trucks sitting around. I’d love to get a real tour of the place.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

There is a Picture cars place a couple doors down from my work.
Place looks sketchy as hell, but they often have some neat looking cars out front for sale after they're (presumably) done with shooting whatever the gently caress movie/tv show.

There was an old boxy F-something-50 out front for a while that said "Derry Public Works" on the side of it.
This was just after they filmed the new version of IT, which happened in my area.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
These were between $70 and $80k brand new. This off-roader shortage is getting ridiculous

Satnav, lol

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

With the price markups you'd think bitcoin mining was actual physical mining taking place in the middle of nowhere

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I think at some point it's cheaper to build a Land cruiser out of actual money

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

dissss posted:

These were between $70 and $80k brand new. This off-roader shortage is getting ridiculous

Satnav, lol

If that's too expensive, why not get two Yugos for $400?

https://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/d/tucson-1987-yugos-gv/7426032830.html

Spades
Sep 18, 2011

dissss posted:

Land cruiser sadness

The worst part is that people will buy them at this price because despite it all nothing really does come close to one when it comes to farm work. Worst part after that, is that half the land cruisers are pre-wrecked by being driven on the beach so you get the luxury of replacing the chassis frame a year into ownership.

Had a close look at buying one new when the L200 broke half its drivetrain components spontaneously last year and could not justify it enough though. Maybe someday when the prices are back down.

In other NZ news it seems like trust fund kids are being made to sell off their shitboxes

:frog:

worst widebody, attached with scrivets! tiniest intercooler, attached with sadness! twice the price of the car spent on 'mods'!

I recently spent about half of that on a C7 Corvette to make it make 1000whp, so with appropriate adjustments I assume this car is smuggling a big block top fuel dragster engine sucking nitromethanol and putting down 6 second quarters for ninety thousand goddamn loving dollars, but I somehow get the feeling most of the money went into the clownish bodywork and paintjob leaving about a buck fifty for the world's smallest turbo setup and giant spacers and camber bolts to mungle the stock width wheels.

I actually fuckin adore that wing mounted with quarter inch ungusseted razor thin strut to the panel work too, having seem a similar setup smash a pair of giant angry dents into an 1gfe Altezza from just being taken up to the speed limiter once or twice.

fake edit - misremembered, the Altezza was actually mounted more securely than that. Somehow

check out those dents!

Spades fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 3, 2022

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I like how he admits falling for a check scam right off the bat. That car will sit on various sites, with never an offer over 25k, and then mysteriously burn down two years later, with the owner claiming full 90k value. Tale as Old as Time

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

dissss posted:

Satnav, lol

Motherfucker I'd kill for one of those, RHD even, here in the states
:negative:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

KakerMix posted:

Motherfucker I'd kill for one of those, RHD even, here in the states
:negative:

For $90,000 USD though?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

dissss posted:

For $90,000 USD though?

A life is worth more thank $90,000 USD. It's at least $117,000.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

$80K for a 73 Cutlass S with an LS3 engine swapped in?

https://www.atomicmotors.net/Pre-ow...hLrAMkv2-toFrJA

Rust bubbles under the vinyl top and this wasn't "factory equipped" with t-tops as they weren't an option in 73 and no mention of what upgrades, if any, were done to the suspension.

And on a personal note, it drives me up the wall when people swap in a new Chevy engine into a nice old car like this. Just ruins it.

ad posted:

This stunning beauty will take your breath away! A car like this will come along once in a lifetime. With just over 18,000 original miles, it feels like stepping back into 1973.

EXCEPT, this one is equipped with a LS3. 376ci, 430 HP, 424 lb-ft torque, 6 speed automatic transmission!

Estimated top speed over 150 MPH!!
With power steering, power brakes and ice-cold A/C, this is the car you take to car shows and bring home trophies. A real crowd pleaser!!

Factory equipped with a Hurst T-top and swivel seats, this elegant time capsule is sure to please.
This conversion has just been completed. Comes with original engine and transmission on a stand.
This vehicle is located at Atomic Motors Classic Car Sales and Restorations in Henderson, NV just 20 mins from the fabulous Las Vegas Strip. Come down and see us or call at 702-826-3811 or 702-556-0888. We are on-line at https://www.atomicmotors.net

Only registered members can see post attachments!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I just can't get too excited about most cars from the 70s and I think that motor swap is ideal, I'm also not impressed with a 70s smog motor.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

StormDrain posted:

I just can't get too excited about most cars from the 70s and I think that motor swap is ideal, I'm also not impressed with a 70s smog motor.

It always weirds me out when supposed car enthusiasts go "oh, the smog motor sucks."

Rebuild it! Do some work on it! Tune it!

Just dropping in a fuel injected Chevy into an old car is lazy, it's not correct for the car as Oldsmobile had their own V-8, and it doesn't impress me that the car can now go 150mph. So? You're not going to drive it 150mph and anyone can make a car fast by throwing money at it.

As it is, it's just a 73 Cutlass with the wrong engine in it and a ridiculous price tag.

I mean, this is my 73 Cutlass Supreme. I've had the thing for nearly 30 years now, it was car in high school. Back then I had to scrounge parts wherever I could, combing through every out of the way salvage yard I could find since the repro parts cutoff at 72. I put in a 425 Olds V-8 from a 67 Delta 88, got a hood from a 75 Hurst Olds, I've had this car down to the nuts and bolts and back and it's still an ongoing project.

The car in the ad is just a host of bad decisions. I mean, I don't get the point of it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I don't really disagree with you, original cars are cool. I wouldn't swap the weak and slow motor in the Binder either. I just gave up on caring what other people do. I'd rather see an Olds body driving around with an LS3 in it than see a broken Olds rotting next to someone's garage or out in a field. And again, that car is cool and great for you, I don't want it.

So to me, original survivors are slightly above restored cars, which are equal to lightly modified for safety and period correct improvements, which are also equal to interesting crazy mods and unique swaps, which are all slightly above dropping a crate motor in an old car which is better than a neglected car which is better than a crushed car.

Basically I like all cars!!! I'd be a terrible judge at a car show.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

PeterCat posted:

The car in the ad is just a host of bad decisions. I mean, I don't get the point of it.

They'd probably feel the same way about your car - why put all that effort into keeping it original when you could just swap in something modern and objectively better.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I'm also casting aspersions on the claim that'll go 150 mph on tires that look to be rated at much less than that and the price tag they've got on it.

If it's the original, 18,000 mile suspension under there, that would be terrifying.

It's basically neither fish nor fowl. Either leave the original engine in it and have a nice time capsule of a car, or do something more interesting with it.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

dissss posted:

They'd probably feel the same way about your car - why put all that effort into keeping it original when you could just swap in something modern and objectively better.

I come down kinda in the middle. If it's something that's basically fine, like one of the olds V8's, I'd probably try to keep it and maybe add one of the new throttle body fuel injection systems on it for better driveability. Maybe some other engine mods to help it get out of its own way but I'd be super unlikely to take it up past even 100mph anywhere but a drag strip.

If the engine was blown for one reason or another and the block was unusable, I wouldn't feel too bad about swapping in something newer but its cooler to me to at least have it be the same manufacturer. LS in place of a small block is fine, or even a Coyote in place of a 5.0 or 302, maybe a big block depending on the car.

Side note: A 1973 Oldsmobile Delta 88 (not a Cutlass as in the ad) was the car used in the original Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2, and turned into a death chariot in Army of Darkness.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

This all sounds like people who’ve never actually dailied a malaise-era smog V8. Everything about it sucks. The power sucks, the idle sucks, starting it sucks, tip-in sucks, downshifts suck, the transmission sucks, the fuel mileage sucks, the fumes suck, keeping it in tune sucks. Literally all they have going for them is the sound, sometimes, if you like the sound of a low-compression V8 wheezing to death.

While I appreciate a factory-stock resto as well, gently caress actually driving that era of car in a factory configuration on any kind of regular basis if you have a choice.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nobody actually wants to drive a 200 horsepower 70s brick with a 3 speed. Like if you want to keep a car original to look at that's cool I guess but people who drive 70s cars with the original drivetrain are in the same category as Yugo enthusiasts. Nobody thought they were good when they came out so now they're rare by virtue of being only kept around by masochists and weirdos.

Edit: If you don't believe me look up the price of anything original with a 426 HEMI. Everyone wants those instead.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jan 5, 2022

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Getting a car you like on the road is imo way more important than any dumb purity. Unless it's an easier way, or an unique trim etc.
Finding parts for old inline 3 fartbox '69 < just putting something working and cool in there.
Except for porsches. Always swap a porsche because gently caress these elitist and their special kind of pUrItY

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

StormDrain posted:

I just gave up on caring what other people do.

The older I get, the harder I lean into this. Sometimes other people's decisions break my brain but to each their own.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I like the sleeper thing that Olds has going, but the price is absolutely nuts. Bonus points to the builder/seller/whatever for keeping the original engine and transmission to go with the car. The swap seems complete in that the AC and PS still work and the modern engine comes with a modern transmission. I feel like so many LS swaps have ancient transmissions. I sure hope those very "traditional" looking tires can cope with the power from that motor.

I get that there aren't many <20k mile cars from the 1970s around, but Olds made tons and tons of Cutlasses way back when.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

This is extremely cool and as a 70s kid I love that you’ve had it so long and made it so badass

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

MrYenko posted:

This all sounds like people who’ve never actually dailied a malaise-era smog V8. Everything about it sucks. The power sucks, the idle sucks, starting it sucks, tip-in sucks, downshifts suck, the transmission sucks, the fuel mileage sucks, the fumes suck, keeping it in tune sucks. Literally all they have going for them is the sound, sometimes, if you like the sound of a low-compression V8 wheezing to death.

While I appreciate a factory-stock resto as well, gently caress actually driving that era of car in a factory configuration on any kind of regular basis if you have a choice.

IDk, when I got my 73 it was in stock configuration and it was fine. It did have the run on issues when shut down due to the lean carb settings, and the points distributor had to be looked after, but it never left me high and dry. An HEI transistor distributor replaced the points, and the rest was a matter of tuning.

Of course my folks were driving a Lumina APV minivan and an 84 S-10 Blazer with a 2.6 when I got it so I might have a weird baseline for cars.

giundy
Dec 10, 2005
Following the discussion, opinion time: my dad has a bitchin’ 92 Camaro convertible, teal green. It has the abysmal 305 and 4spd auto. Would anyone shed a tear over swapping it?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

giundy posted:

Following the discussion, opinion time: my dad has a bitchin’ 92 Camaro convertible, teal green. It has the abysmal 305 and 4spd auto. Would anyone shed a tear over swapping it?

The 305 is a 327 with a 283 crank isn't it?
How hard would it be to swap back to a 327 crank?

I guess the heads, cam etc are probably fairly craptacular though.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

giundy posted:

gently caress no. Any later/larger GM engine would be proper and welcome.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

wesleywillis posted:

The 305 is a 327 with a 283 crank isn't it?
How hard would it be to swap back to a 327 crank?

I guess the heads, cam etc are probably fairly craptacular though.

The 305 is a 3.736” bore with the 3.48” stroke crank from a 350. It’s absolute trash unless you have literally no other options. You can make more power with better heads, but roughly no one does because the bores won’t accept the larger valve sizes common in performance SBC heads.

What you’re thinking of is the 302, which was available 67-69 in the Z/28 only.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It's a 92 Camaro. There are no purists to care. If you like the car do whatever you want to make it a car you want to drive.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

giundy posted:

No, swapping a newer fuel injected SBC into a car that had an older fuel injected SBC is fine.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Motronic posted:

It's a 92 Camaro. There are no purists to care. If you like the car do whatever you want to make it a car you want to drive.

There are absolutely 305 fanboys/purists, for reasons I cannot begin to fathom.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Godholio posted:

All of the (lovely) fuel economy, none of the power!

My first two cars had LG4s. 155hp @ 4200rpm. Holy poo poo that was an awful engine. I mean, it’s not entirely the fault of the displacement, but if you’re fixing all the other issues of malaise-era engines so you can go make power, you go with a 350ci bottom end, because they’re bigger, better, plentiful, stronger, and cheaper.

Some friends had a Bayliner with a Mercury Marine 305 and an outdrive, and it was miserable in that, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

StormDrain posted:

Well, the '73, at least outside of California wasn't a smog motor. It was basically the last year it wasn't. That last year, you could even still get a 455 in the Cutlass!

That said, I like Olds, and would prefer to keep an Old motor, but it is very difficult to argue against a modern engine if you actually want to drive it, not to mention find parts for said engine. The Olds never got the love the Chevys got, or even Buick/Pontiac. There's stuff out there, but nothing really new. It's a struggle to not just swap in an LS in my '70 Cutlass. It would be definitely cheaper than getting the factory mill to an equivalent power level, and even if you did, it *still* wouldn't get the fuel mileage. Most days I could give a gently caress about "correct". There are plenty of (too many, IMHO) concours restorations. That results in cars not being driven. How many garage/show queens do you need?
I do appreciate the effort when made to keep the cars like powered, though. It really depends on your goals. Mine will never again be a daily, so I can maintain the Olds power. Albeit, it will be fuel injected, and already has an overdrive in it.

I'm not a huge fan of the Collonade A-bodies. The '73 is not the worst, but still "meh" at best. $80K for that car is just so far into crack-pipe territory that I can't even see it over the horizon.

PeterCat posted:

I'm also casting aspersions on the claim that'll go 150 mph on tires that look to be rated at much less than that and the price tag they've got on it.

If it's the original, 18,000 mile suspension under there, that would be terrifying.

It's basically neither fish nor fowl. Either leave the original engine in it and have a nice time capsule of a car, or do something more interesting with it.

I can tell you from experience that 120 on worn out stock A-body suspension is... interesting. It starts to float about there. Suggestive steering, as it were.

boxen posted:

Side note: A 1973 Oldsmobile Delta 88 (not a Cutlass as in the ad) was the car used in the original Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2, and turned into a death chariot in Army of Darkness.

Almost every film Sam Raimi made had a '73 Delta in it. Uncle Ben's car in Spider Man, for example.
Guess what kind of car Sam Raimi once owned?

Erulisse posted:

Getting a car you like on the road is imo way more important than any dumb purity. Unless it's an easier way, or an unique trim etc.
Finding parts for old inline 3 fartbox '69 < just putting something working and cool in there.
Except for porsches. Always swap a porsche because gently caress these elitist and their special kind of pUrItY

I like the way you think. Preach it!

StormDrain posted:

I just gave up on caring what other people do. I'd rather see an Olds body driving around with an LS3 in it than see a broken Olds rotting next to someone's garage or out in a field. And again, that car is cool and great for you, I don't want it.

And all of that, right there.

giundy posted:

gently caress no. LS that bitch and grow a mullet.
That teal was the best color. A friend had an RS in that color. All of the appearance of a Z28, none of the horsepower (such as it was.) His was at least a manual.

Godholio posted:

...really? Because that was the worst SBC. I think the only worse GM old-school V8 (which excludes the 4100) was probably the Olds 260. Yeah. A short-deck, small-bore version of the Olds V8. The only good thing about it was that it was a V8, and reasonably reliable. It was just so tiny and smog-laden. Oh, wait - I guess the Caddy 8-6-4 was worse, until the system was bypassed. The Olds 307 was meh, but better than the Chevy 305, especially with the hotter cam and roller lifters in the G-body 442.