Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

wizardofloneliness posted:

I really hope they weren't just reusing the actor and it's actually the same character and he was just wearing a bad wig and pretending to be Italian for some unexplained reason.
Book spoilers it isn’t an accident

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

straight up brolic posted:

Book spoilers it isn’t an accident

Excellent, can't wait to see how this gets revealed!

In non-apocalyptic show news, I finally started The Other Two. I only knew it as "show that Molly Shannon and Drew Tarver are on" and nothing more, and I can't believe it hasn't gotten more notice. I'm a few episodes in and absolutely loving it. The When in Gnome movie premiere bit gave me one of the biggest laughs I've had this year. I also like that the younger brother and the mom aren't made into some unlikable caricatures (any more than any character is), that they all actually do care for each other.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Other Two is really really good yeah. I think season 2 is even better

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, season 2 is even better and they got renewed for season 3 and had a hell of a cliffhanger at the end of season 2 Cary's career opportunity getting hosed by COVID.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Started watching Chuck, since it showed up on PrimeVideo over here. The B-plot certainly makes the show not bingeable, with what laying on pretty thick.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I don't see it mentioned much but I'm still enjoying The Mayor Of Kingstown. poo poo is getting pretty dark.

I'm not a huge Renner fan but he's fine. Aidan Gilley is kinda corny though.

Also, I see there's a new Boba Fett show on Disney. How is it?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's only the first episode but I enjoyed it. They do a kind of split timeline with Boba right after the events of Return of the Jedi and where he ended up in Mandalorian.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

isaboo posted:

I don't see it mentioned much but I'm still enjoying The Mayor Of Kingstown. poo poo is getting pretty dark.

I'm sure I'm going to get attacked but I wasn't all that impressed with the first episode. The effects looked really weirdly cheap to me and I don't really need an extended story about how he escaped the Sarlacc and became BFFs with the Tusken Raiders

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The only effect I thought was kind of off was the scenes where they were walking over a ridge which looked super fake. The rest of the desert scenes looked fine.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

The only effect I thought was kind of off was the scenes where they were walking over a ridge which looked super fake. The rest of the desert scenes looked fine.

Yeah I really can't put my finger on it, something seemed off.

I'm super hopeful, I think they just started it slow.

Edit -

Nice to see this guy getting work again.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

isaboo posted:

It's fine I guess. There are some dumb bits like when Boba forgets he has a jetpack, but it's okay. I hope to god they give him some motivation or a reason for wanting to be a crimelord in ep 2 though because right now he's just doing stuff because

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Medullah posted:

I'm sure I'm going to get attacked but I wasn't all that impressed with the first episode. The effects looked really weirdly cheap to me and I don't really need an extended story about how he escaped the Sarlacc and became BFFs with the Tusken Raiders

I kind of agree, I wasn't blown away by it, but I'm willing to wait and give judgment until at least a few more episodes pass. But that being said, I am far more interested in the post-sarlacc plot than the "modern" part. I really don't care about Fett trying to become a nice gangster, and the Ming-Na Wen character is just completely uninteresting to me. The post-ROTJ bits with almost total lack of dialogue kind of worked as a totally silent film.

That being said I did like seeing that Max Rebo is still finding work. David Pasquesi as the Twi'lek was kind of fun, too.

It's only the first episode but I enjoyed it. They do a kind of split timeline with Boba right after the events of Return of the Jedi and where he ended up in Mandalorian.

Of course you enjoyed it, Matt Berry was in it!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was kind of weird to hire him for what appears to be a serious part.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Started watching Chuck, since it showed up on PrimeVideo over here. The B-plot certainly makes the show not bingeable, with what laying on pretty thick.

The cast had terrific chemistry and I loved the premise but a large part of the dialogue was awful. There isn't a supercomputer in the world that can count the number of times the word "spy" was uttered.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

It was kind of weird to hire him for what appears to be a serious part.

That's totally "I fuckin love Star Wars and want to be in it" casting

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also I just remembered that the trailer for Toast of Tinseltown has Toast talking about trying to get a part in Star Wars.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Both the Star Wars shows hired a lot of comedians, regardless of the role -- Bill Burr, Amy Sedaris, Taika Waititi, Richard Ayoade, Paul Lee... I think I remember Adam Paly having a random voice cameo at one point too, and I feel like there was another episode with a bunch of actors from Wrecked in it. I think it's a thing the guys behind the show just like to do.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Also I just remembered that the trailer for Toast of Tinseltown has Toast talking about trying to get a part in Star Wars.

Daisy Ridley was in one of the first Toast of London episodes.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

isaboo posted:

It's dark indeed. I don't know if I love the show but it's pretty darn interesting.

Renner is a funny one. He has an amazing voice, has perfected the art of "brooding badass" but I just don't....like him.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Abbott Elementary popped up on Hulu for me and I think it's got some real potential. I also don't know if I can take watching it because it's too loving real in a lot of ways and I'm not sure I want to go to work and then go home to watch a show about work

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel as this pandemic draws on, but I'm enjoying YOU right now. Totally insane and creepy. It's one of those shows like Sunny or Search Party (though nowhere near the level of either) where you have to get into the head of some deeply bad people and empathize with them while not forgetting they are messed up. Very V-effect, probably the most telling form of it in modern personal drama stuff.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Everyone is talking about Station Eleven but it's the last thing I want to watch. I don't understand how you can make a "happy" apocalypse show. We have all seen during this pandemic that people are selfish and will let mountains die for their own comforts. How the only people who matter to them are those they have known since childhood and everyone else can go die in a fire. Since I have none of the latter, none of this is relatable to me. What is the appeal, exactly? The delusion that you are one of the lucky few that will make it?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

For me it's the good acting, strong characters, and compelling narrative.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AceOfFlames posted:

Everyone is talking about Station Eleven but it's the last thing I want to watch. I don't understand how you can make a "happy" apocalypse show. We have all seen during this pandemic that people are selfish and will let mountains die for their own comforts. How the only people who matter to them are those they have known since childhood and everyone else can go die in a fire. Since I have none of the latter, none of this is relatable to me. What is the appeal, exactly? The delusion that you are one of the lucky few that will make it?

Personally I just never really have this issue about anything? I just like watching good storytelling and it doesn’t matter what it’s about or how timely or whatever it is. I guess I spend a lot less time doomscrolling than a lot of people these days, though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also who said it was happy? In this thread, the show it's most compared to is The Leftovers lol

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

AceOfFlames posted:

Where are you getting the idea that it’s happy? There’s a minority of good people sometimes doing good things among selfish assholes and a giant pile of dead people.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There have been some articles I’ve seen about how it’s more life-affirming than most post-apocalypse shows. Which I think is definitely true, but like….it’s still a post-apocalypse show.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Oh poo poo, Zack Stone is Gonna Be Famous is on Netflix, heck yeah.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Escobarbarian posted:

There have been some articles I’ve seen about how it’s more life-affirming than most post-apocalypse shows. Which I think is definitely true, but like….it’s still a post-apocalypse show.

Ah, the classic “I haven’t watched the show but I read a headline and ~*~imagined~*~” criticism.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
HBO Max has been really fucky on our garage tv where I usually watch stuff so I watched the first 2 eps of Station Eleven and had to drop it for a while since the app refused to stay logged in. It's been working fine today though and drat, this show. I'm curious what's going on with Keith Mars and I'm curious about pretty much everything in this world. I gather this is an adaptation of a book, so is it planned to be just a miniseries thing or an ongoing show?

I'm with Esco in that watching pandemic stuff or really bleak stuff in bleak times doesn't turn me off, but it has affected my wife's ability to watch certain things for sure. She couldn't watch Y The Last Man (good for her) and hasn't been interested in Station Eleven at all either (too bad cuz it's great). I feel like there've been one or two other shows over the last couple years that were similar. Especially things dealing with families losing kids or if there's a miscarriage plot point since she was pregnant most of this year. That turned out well though and we have a healthy baby boy now, but she still can't handle watching that kind of stuff.

And that's fine, I don't push it.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Escobarbarian posted:

Personally I just never really have this issue about anything? I just like watching good storytelling and it doesn’t matter what it’s about or how timely or whatever it is. I guess I spend a lot less time doomscrolling than a lot of people these days, though.

Same. Just started it last night, watched the first two eps and rather liked it, and the "Shakespearean actress (and dual wielding knife fan)" protagonist. The idea of a post apocalypse travelling arts crew is kinda refreshing, looking forward to seeing where/how it all pans out.

Funny thought it was I totally would have turned down that dude for auditioning with *that* speech, though. Make it a Jack Burton monologue and now we're talking.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1476993009459867648

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Huh, drat

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
nooooo

RIP to a real one, St Olaf's finest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHEcaz-L7LA

isaboo fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 31, 2021

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

RIP. I actually just got to the episode of Malcolm in the Middle with her in it. Betty White playing off Chloris Leachman was a powerful combination.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, 2 weeks shy of 100. That's kind of unfair.

So I'm three seasons into Letterkenny. I'm enjoying it but I don't know if I understand half of the plots.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Steve Martin was tweeting about Betty White last night. Guess he knew she didn't have long.

https://twitter.com/SteveMartinToGo/status/1476745349393965059

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For my first piece of TV in 2022 I decided to rewatch the scene in Station Eleven episode 7 where Frank makes the guy’s voice on his tapes into the Tribe Called Quest beat and raps over it and everyone experiences a brief moment of joy and then I cried because it’s so beautiful and this show is so good

Happy new year TVIVers!!!!£

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

what are you talking about it's 6 PM

(happy new year)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dang Americans always late to the beginning of the year