Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

i was literally about to post: "*extremely shaggar voice* actually gdpr only applies to american companies" and you did it before i could lmao

he’s right about it though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
He is not.

GRPD is a harmonisation of pre-existing national laws. The only really new thing is that they gave it some teeth to punish intentional and persistent noncompliance.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i'm sure they'll get right on deploying those teeth against the locally-grown shitbags instead of just the foreign ones, lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Antigravitas posted:

He is not.

GRPD is a harmonisation of pre-existing national laws. The only really new thing is that they gave it some teeth to punish intentional and persistent noncompliance.

the EU can’t innovate but they can sure invent dumb rules about cookie warnings and fine foreign governments for nonsense

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

on the one hand some parts of GDPR are silly and other parts are applied seemingly more against US companies than EU companies.

on the other hand, US companies abso-loving-lutely deserve it and we will never get around to doing anything even close to punishing them for anything ever in the states

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I’m suing SA over my rap sheet. my bad posts have a right to be forgotten

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

akadajet posted:

done and done

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
As a stateside janitor all i really know about GDPR is that whenever it pops up as something we dont have to follow the inevitable rejoinder is "but why not do x like they require since thats a good idea?" Immediately followed by "its not required we dont care."

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

So what "is" luca?

luca deez nuts :v:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

oh no, someone is being mean to corporations! think of all the stifled innovation

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jabor posted:

i'm sure they'll get right on deploying those teeth against the locally-grown shitbags instead of just the foreign ones, lol

they actually do that though? :shrug: every company here is rather going to brave alligator pit than the state inspectorate for data that got established as the gdpr compliance watchdog. it’s has been a very useful and extremely easy to spot change domestically

akadajet posted:

the EU can’t innovate but they can sure invent dumb rules about cookie warnings and fine foreign governments for nonsense

poo poo in your own garden and we will let you be

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

all the domestic robocall/sms companies are now texting me unsubscribe links, because it will take me 0.00 euro and 3 minutes to generate an unauthorised communication report with an ironclad guarantee of being investigated and followed up, and our data folks will happily take every single scalp they legally can

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jabor posted:

furthermore, let’s take a look at the largest gdpr fines issued

#4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 are all european companies or public institutions

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

So what "is" luca?

spankmeister posted:

it's a combination of a vaccine certificate and contact tracing app, you can put your vaccine status in the app, and use it to check into restaurants and stuff, and if someone tests positive everyone who was there gets notified i think? the restaurant doesn't get your vaccine status or personal information, it's anonymous.

at least, that's the idea

majority of its fame for leaking pii left and right comes from the contact tracing functionality

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

yeah they didn't really do a very good job it turns out

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
supposedly Germany has laws sufficient to protect their citizens privacy, which an app made by a private company regardless of nationality should respect by having not-stupid data security. the GDPR projects that to other countries but certainly applies to domestic companies, no?

also Germany has all sorts of valid reasons not to trust the US government, but ostensibly those are because the US gov and US private businesses blatantly undermine privacy in the name of national security.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Midjack posted:

"phonedom" lol

uh, i gotta go. something came up.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ewiley posted:

supposedly Germany has laws sufficient to protect their citizens privacy, which an app made by a private company regardless of nationality should respect by having not-stupid data security. the GDPR projects that to other countries but certainly applies to domestic companies, no?

also Germany has all sorts of valid reasons not to trust the US government, but ostensibly those are because the US gov and US private businesses blatantly undermine privacy in the name of national security.

of course gdpr applies to domestic companies, it's just one of shaggars gimmicks to claim us companies are bewing tweated swo unfaiwly boo hoo (emphasis mine)

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
every us company should be brutalized by every foreign government

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ewiley posted:

both bundesdatenschutzgesetz and gdpr are applicable, the problem is not lack of adequate laws to hold luca developer accountable with. as antigravitas pointed out, luca developer has ties to the ruling parties, so the enforcement will have to at the very least wait

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

akadajet posted:

curious if this could actually work? it seems plausible?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Kesper North posted:

they’d have to hit the payment processor probably. the best was to avoid it is to not do business with eu countries

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

ZeusCannon posted:

As a stateside janitor all i really know about GDPR is that whenever it pops up as something we dont have to follow the inevitable rejoinder is "but why not do x like they require since thats a good idea?" Immediately followed by "its not required we dont care."

California and Massachussets aren’t that far off GDPR, to say nothing of Canada or Mexico, although none of those is identical.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ewiley posted:

or to make money. or just for fun. or because it's always been done that way and we don't know why.

redleader posted:

every us company should be brutalized by every foreign government

:yeah:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

the danish privacy laws prior to gdpr were pretty much the same, and were used extensively to punish local violators. it was much harder to go after big international ones, gdpr helps with that

also all companies suck and will do everything in their power to misuse private information, so the more laws against it the better

:qq: more about poor google & facebook pls

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Kesper North posted:

Unlikely imo. It's a public forum and pseudonymous as well. I'd have to read the relevant laws again but I think I remember that forums like this weren't covered the same way you can't demand mailing lists remove your mails.

FWIW, getting SA GDPR and Cookie compliant seems trivial. Drop the google js dependency, do an inventory of what data of a user is being kept and why and evaluate which data is required; document it; prepare a way someone can receive a dump of all their data, and list a contact somewhere. And that's basically it. Doesn't need any of the idiotic consent banners either.

It would be different if SA's business model relied on targeted ads, of course. But destroying the industry of targeted ads is good.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the gdpr is cool and good and hopefully the eu keeps strengthening it until the "innoventors" like facebook and google indeed to do pull out of the region.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Dec 30, 2021

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Antigravitas posted:

Unlikely imo. It's a public forum and pseudonymous as well. I'd have to read the relevant laws again but I think I remember that forums like this weren't covered the same way you can't demand mailing lists remove your mails.

FWIW, getting SA GDPR and Cookie compliant seems trivial. Drop the google js dependency, do an inventory of what data of a user is being kept and why and evaluate which data is required; document it; prepare a way someone can receive a dump of all their data, and list a contact somewhere. And that's basically it. Doesn't need any of the idiotic consent banners either.

It would be different if SA's business model relied on targeted ads, of course. But destroying the industry of targeted ads is good.

Social media is covered by right to be forgotten too, which is why there is a "download all my data" and "wipe all my data" feature in multiple sites, even in roblox (https://devforum.roblox.com/t/update-to-gdpr-right-to-be-forgotten-messaging/885792) .There is already a "search posts by poster id" feature, the only requirement would be to add a "search all content by the poster id and wipe it from the db" to be compliant.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

sounds like it's now a question of whether or not dead gay comedy web 1.0 forums are considered social media or not

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
surely there’s some limit. if you, like, wrote an op-ed for a newspaper, i can’t imagine right to be forgotten gives you the right to demand it be unpublished just because you’re now embarrassed of what you wrote

my understanding is that the law is actually pretty vague and perhaps unintentionally sweeping, and i wouldn’t be surprised if e.g. roblox was just being extremely cautious, especially because iirc rtbf has extra protections for minors

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Carthag Tuek posted:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

:rubby:
crying about FAANG being punished is such a Shaggar thing to do

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

cinci zoo sniper posted:

both bundesdatenschutzgesetz and gdpr are applicable, the problem is not lack of adequate laws to hold luca developer accountable with. as antigravitas pointed out, luca developer has ties to the ruling parties, so the enforcement will have to at the very least wait

yes this is a problem if the government does not enforce its own laws and instead lets cronyism stand, I agree.

this Luca debacle reminds me of the even worse techbro/government mashup in the UK https://cybergibbons.com/security-2/why-what3words-is-not-suitable-for-safety-critical-applications/

at least w3w is “free”

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Carthag Tuek posted:

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

ewiley posted:

at least w3w is “free”

im willing to bet this will change exactly when enough clients are locked in

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

rjmccall posted:

surely there’s some limit. if you, like, wrote an op-ed for a newspaper, i can’t imagine right to be forgotten gives you the right to demand it be unpublished just because you’re now embarrassed of what you wrote

my understanding is that the law is actually pretty vague and perhaps unintentionally sweeping, and i wouldn’t be surprised if e.g. roblox was just being extremely cautious, especially because iirc rtbf has extra protections for minors

it is somewhat vague, because, while privacy is a primal right, the authors didn’t want to allow people to rewrite history or thrown tantrums and nuke research they’ve published into public domain.

specifically, for someone requesting SA data deletion, the request would apply to the profile, but not the posts, with the exception granted by gdpr article 17(3). hence you would need to give pseudonym to the profile, but that’s about it

things like your nyt op-ed about deep frying frozen olive oil or someone else on sa mentioning your would-be deleted username are exempt from from right of erasure requests by the gdpr article 85, which protects journalistic/scientific/literary expression

gdpr is difficult to comply with if you don’t want to do that and explicitly avoid taking the necessary steps, but otherwise not really. some foreign companies just catch light shaggaritis over it and think the commies are coming for them

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

jeffrey this is not a legal advice, just in case

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

as for roblox, they have data of children. my sage advice: don't do business with children, that's asking for it in legal terms

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

ewiley posted:

yes this is a problem if the government does not enforce its own laws and instead lets cronyism stand, I agree.

this Luca debacle reminds me of the even worse techbro/government mashup in the UK https://cybergibbons.com/security-2/why-what3words-is-not-suitable-for-safety-critical-applications/

at least w3w is “free”

Most trace applications have weird histories, the italian trace app "immuni" was done by a relatively unknown firm that was under the thumb of the Berlusconi family and other upper-class VCs. Today most people have no idea why they picked that firm rather than other offers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

SlowBloke posted:

"search all content by the poster id and wipe it from the db" to be compliant.

:cawg: