Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SlowBloke posted:

Most trace applications have weird histories, the italian trace app "immuni" was done by a relatively unknown firm that was under the thumb of the Berlusconi family and other upper-class VCs. Today most people have no idea why they picked that firm rather than other offers.

i wouldn't say "most". the european norm seems to have been to just make a thin wrapper on top of the google and apple exposure api, with uk and germany being 2 noteworthy excepitons that i know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i wouldn't say "most". the european norm seems to have been to just make a thin wrapper on top of the google and apple exposure api, with uk and germany being 2 noteworthy excepitons that i know

I mean that none of those apps got made for free and the contracts have been very nebulous for very few lines of code since as you said, they just reused the available device sdk.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SlowBloke posted:

I mean that none of those apps got made for free and the contracts have been very nebulous for very few lines of code since as you said, they just reused the available device sdk.

that’s a baseless assertion in your seeming quest to extrapolate italy being a known dysfunctional shitocracy to everyone else. to give you a specific example to the contrary, latvian contact tracing app (first globally to have a nationwide deployment with the exposure notification apis) was built pro-bono by the national tech industry (participants start with the ninth icon here https://www.apturicovid.lv/iesaistitas-organizacijas ) - they established a non-profit, developed and launched the app in a month, and afterwards earned an endorsement (and only that) from the government for job well done

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
my name is Luca, I leak all the info stored

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

the french app is some weird thing that periodically asks to restart itself on ios and honestly idk

it works for me so im good, its also open source so i figure someone would have raised hell if it did anything shady

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Penisface posted:

its also open source so i figure someone would have raised hell if it did anything shady

so, there once was this commonly used logging library in java…

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Penisface posted:

its also open source so i figure someone would have raised hell if it did anything shady

:allears:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

finished reading this and wow, what an embarrasment. and easy to fix one as well, just remove all plurals and add a 4th term that is a 2-digit number

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

so, there once was this commonly used logging library in java…

well its a brand new application made for tracking people, which is a hot topic thing currently i.e. i don't think i am wrong if i say a lot of eyes are/were on that piece of code.

in the log4j case, the fuckup was quietly introduced to the code many years after everyone had integrated it in the builds and also had forgotten even thinking about what is going on with the logging library

ultimately its a mossad/not-mossad situation as is with the builtin contact tracking in iOS itself

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fwiw i fully agree with you, i just think there’s some amount of comedy in the timing

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

cinci zoo sniper posted:

that’s a baseless assertion in your seeming quest to extrapolate italy being a known dysfunctional shitocracy to everyone else. to give you a specific example to the contrary, latvian contact tracing app (first globally to have a nationwide deployment with the exposure notification apis) was built pro-bono by the national tech industry (participants start with the ninth icon here https://www.apturicovid.lv/iesaistitas-organizacijas ) - they established a non-profit, developed and launched the app in a month, and afterwards earned an endorsement (and only that) from the government for job well done

Can you stop putting words in my mouth, i didn't say ALL. Finland and Austria have not developed pro bono apps for instance(budgets in the 850-1m€ range), i am not aware of other examples of pro bono made tracing apps in the EU.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

finished reading this and wow, what an embarrasment. and easy to fix one as well, just remove all plurals and add a 4th term that is a 2-digit number

you know they cant fix it because a new version of their lovely algorithm will create new combinations for EVERYTHING, forcing people to relearn their location phrase

it's one of those things where just a few rounds of more thinking and peer review could have ended up with a really nice system, but then it would not be privately owned rent extraction and someone else could just steal their clever algorithm

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SlowBloke posted:

Can you stop putting words in my mouth, i didn't say ALL. Finland and Austria have not developed pro bono apps for instance(budgets in the 850-1m€ range), i am not aware of other examples of pro bono made tracing apps in the EU.

“none of those apps” seems to imply a rather specific relative number, but that’s not important. would a fully government developed app like the danish also count as bad under your auspices, because taxpayer money got spent on health infrastructure? im not sure i understand what’s egregious about a relatively important app having a budget of employing a team of 10 for a month either, to be frank

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Penisface posted:

you know they cant fix it because a new version of their lovely algorithm will create new combinations for EVERYTHING, forcing people to relearn their location phrase

i guess that’s fair, but having bad location markers memorised doesn’t seem to be particularly useful to me. is it that heavily relied upon in uk?

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

one of the most stupidest things in the pandemic is every tech head falling over themselves to implement a numbers go up dashboard or their own homebrew tracing app. of course, can't have an app from a foreign country, better spend time and energy rolling your own

to add insult to injury i did witness a scene last year when estonia's app failed to recognize a qr code so they had to use the swiss app

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i guess that’s fair, but having bad location markers memorised doesn’t seem to be particularly useful to me. is it that heavily relied upon in uk?

i dont know but i hope not. post brexit uk however seems to be the place where privatization will hand over crucial services to any company represented that has the best smiling salespeople (or tory donors)

its like the people at what3words could just add some dispersion to the dataset by enforcing an edit distance heuristic

and it still remains a problem that most of the world does not speak english, whoops

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

SlowBloke posted:

There is already a "search posts by poster id" feature, the only requirement would be to add a "search all content by the poster id and wipe it from the db" to be compliant.

zdr did this once for himself and it broke like half the threads lol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
what4wordsand2digits.com doesn't have the same ring to it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

akadajet posted:

zdr did this once for himself and it broke like half the threads lol

yeah, but:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

specifically, for someone requesting SA data deletion, the request would apply to the profile, but not the posts, with the exception granted by gdpr article 17(3). hence you would need to give pseudonym to the profile, but that’s about it

also jeffrey is okay about it. i had some old posts in the goldmine that had some personal info that i wasnt confortable with any longer & he made it pseudonymous (tbf i had to remind him a couple times cause poo poo's been nuts around here in the last couple years lol)

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
dont most of the pandemic contact tracing apps just enable/activate the anonymized bluetooth id sharing contact tracing built in to anroid and ios?

the pennsylvania department of health app does that, it also has a case count line graph and links to information about vaccines and testing and whatever, but the main value of the app is enabling the builtin ios stuff

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yeah contact tracing is 90% a system service/API google and apple collaborated on and 10% interchangeable app front ends

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

yeah, they’re essentially an auth proxy between the gapple apis and respective national healthcare authorities. latvian is just like what you describe - “turn ios tracing on” page, national stats page, and settings menu to input your phone number, and governmental tracking case code if you get it

in europe the notable exception was uk’s nhs (well, england and wales specifically), which initially decided to roll their own covid crypto, and only began to switch away from that failure in june 2020. then later, still unsatisfied with not being able to spy on people via the apis, they tried coaxing users into upload their location history https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-56713017

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the california app doesn't even exist for iphone - it's just instructions on how to enable exposure notifications

frankly im impressed that they took the easiest and most foolproof way. well done, california

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
remember that it took a bit of time before the google and android apis were up and running, and several countries tried to make their own bluetooth tracking apps which lead to a ton of privacy issues but also the issue that some apps only did the tracing when you had the app up on your screen, which also meant it ate power like a hungry bitcoin miner

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

uk app was one of those iirc. uk app did also simply not work if the phone language was not set to english

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
At least euro trace apps code have been put on GitHub to please the skeptics, some authorities provided only the front ends while other provided the whole stack. Funnily enough the immuni git hub (https://github.com/immuni-app) includes front-end, back-end, ci tests and public open data

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Penisface posted:

but then it would not be privately owned rent extraction and someone else could just steal their clever algorithm

Penisface posted:

post brexit uk however seems to be the place where privatization will hand over crucial services to any company represented that has the best smiling salespeople (or tory donors)

i knew one of the w3w founders pre-w3w and his m.o. is definitely to exploit his connections to sell his product to the public sector, or other places where the taxpayer eventually foots the bill

combined, in w3w's case, with an attack dog legal team to savage anyone who threatens the business model

Rufus Ping fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 30, 2021

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
on the one hand, it's pretty cool that europe has a single currency and you can travel freely between its countries. on the other hand, literally everything else that the eu does

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol at euros whining cause they cant compete without the ability to arbitrarily punish superior american companies. sorry you guys write trash software that nobody would use if they werent forced to us it

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shaggar posted:

lol at euros whining cause they cant compete without the ability to arbitrarily punish superior american companies. sorry you guys write trash software that nobody would use if they werent forced to us it

B- you’re trying too hard

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

DELETE CASCADE posted:

on the one hand, it's pretty cool that europe has a single currency and you can travel freely between its countries. on the other hand, literally everything else that the eu does

eu is great, but we can leave our third hand for the americans

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

the california app doesn't even exist for iphone - it's just instructions on how to enable exposure notifications

frankly im impressed that they took the easiest and most foolproof way. well done, california

additionally the ENX system used in California, Maryland, Virginia, Washington (state), Washington (D.C.), Wisconsin, New Mexico, Connecticut, Utah, Massachusetts, Hawaii, Colorado, Louisiana and Missouri uses a privacy-preserving aggregation mechanism deployed by ISRG (who run Let's Encrypt), the MITRE Corporation and the National Cancer Institute to report how many exposure alerts have been displayed and other EN telemetry to public health authorities without ever revealing any individual's data

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Shaggar posted:

cmon you can do better shaggs. theres a lot about europe that sucks, the gdpr isnt one

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

it is somewhat vague, because, while privacy is a primal right, the authors didn’t want to allow people to rewrite history or thrown tantrums and nuke research they’ve published into public domain.

specifically, for someone requesting SA data deletion, the request would apply to the profile, but not the posts, with the exception granted by gdpr article 17(3). hence you would need to give pseudonym to the profile, but that’s about it

things like your nyt op-ed about deep frying frozen olive oil or someone else on sa mentioning your would-be deleted username are exempt from from right of erasure requests by the gdpr article 85, which protects journalistic/scientific/literary expression

gdpr is difficult to comply with if you don’t want to do that and explicitly avoid taking the necessary steps, but otherwise not really. some foreign companies just catch light shaggaritis over it and think the commies are coming for them

it depends on if nuking the public data would harm an american company. if it does, then its a critical privacy concern and the public data must be deleted. if its not an american company, than its public domain data and the user no longer has any expectation of control over it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

except the companies aren't "harmed" except for maybe hypothetical ad revenue

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
or the massive, arbitrary penalties they have to pay

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

that doesn't harm them at all. doesn't even harm the shareholders lmao

animist
Aug 28, 2018
they should make them pay more

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Achmed Jones posted:

it is a separate app on anroid though. it (maybe not anymore) would helpfully spam you with loud "BLUETOOTH IS DISABLED" notifications every hour if you enabled airplane mode (because, idk, you were on an airplane) with no option to say "yah i get it please shut up til im done flying thanks"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

Rufus Ping posted:

i knew one of the w3w founders pre-w3w and his m.o. is definitely to exploit his connections to sell his product to the public sector, or other places where the taxpayer eventually foots the bill

combined, in w3w's case, with an attack dog legal team to savage anyone who threatens the business model

how did google plus codes not instantly kill w3w overnight