Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Krispy Wafer posted:

Perhaps we're supposed to be seeing this from Kevin's perspective as a put upon youngest child? Kind of like how the furnace growls at him; maybe reality isn't what it seems. Because otherwise the parents' behavior makes no sense.

Especially considering the filmmakers were empathetic enough to hire one of their own sons to dress up as Buzz's girlfriend rather than go WOOF at a real teenage girl's picture.

Then again they probably just didn't consider how toxic the family was to Kevin. It wouldn't be the first weird omission in a Christmas movie. Like in the Santa Clause, when original Santa dies what the gently caress happens to HIS Mrs. Claus, who he is contractually obligated to have. Did the elves kill her?

Santa's death was not an accident. He'd already killed Mrs. Claus and took his own life out of guilt. I assume the elves cleaned up the evidence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

When she realized the spell keeping her there had broken, she immediately ran out of the workshop and into the night. There's very little chance she would have survived the freezing polar cold, but either way she was free

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Friend posted:

He gets the bill, smirks and says "oh daaaaad" and then you hear the dad scream off-screen

For content (not sure if this really counts), Wanda Sykes was supposed to play the manager in Elf, but couldn't for whatever reason so Faizon Love took the role.
His name tag still says Wanda.

lol I was watching Elf with some friends last night and a buddy was like, "does his nametag say Wanda?" We just chalked it up to the character being that "eh, gently caress it" type of worker who would just grab whatever nametag was closest when they clocked it

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Cleretic posted:

I don't want a modern Home Alone focused on adult Kevin so I can see him do the same trap-based shenanigans. I want to see it so that I can find out Kevin got to move away from his neglectful and borderline-abusive family.

...poo poo, I've always wanted the anti-Christmas movie about someone who learns that they don't have to deal with all the ceremony and visiting family if they don't want to. Maybe that's just about Kevin McAllister.

Hmm, dealing with unwelcome evil visitors via a variety of painful and humiliating traps; that DOES seem rather cathartic for people dealing with toxic family. Maybe we've found the secret metaphor of the movie.

SiKboy posted:

Isnt a modern Home Alone with an adult Kevin basically Saw?

Suddenly I have a new preferred origin story for that series.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Marcade posted:

Ah, the Im-ho-ho-ho-tep treatment.

I greatly appreciated this joke.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I greatly appreciated this joke.

:same:

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Very yes.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

christmas boots posted:

Santa's death was not an accident. He'd already killed Mrs. Claus and took his own life out of guilt. I assume the elves cleaned up the evidence

the reindeer are in the enclosed pool area

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

titties posted:

:drat:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cleretic posted:

I don't want a modern Home Alone focused on adult Kevin so I can see him do the same trap-based shenanigans. I want to see it so that I can find out Kevin got to move away from his neglectful and borderline-abusive family.

...poo poo, I've always wanted the anti-Christmas movie about someone who learns that they don't have to deal with all the ceremony and visiting family if they don't want to. Maybe that's just about Kevin McAllister.

The burglars get out of prison and end up invited to a grown-up Kevin's Christmas party, who wants to spend time with the people who were actually keeping him company on Christmas.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Marcade posted:

Ah, the Im-ho-ho-ho-tep treatment.

Perfetto.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

If we are still talking about Home Alone.

The way that his parents baby Kevin at the beginning of the first film is criminal. It's actually a plot point how Kevin never learned how to do anything for himself, because his parents constantly baby him and treat him like a ... baby.

Robbing a child of agency and creating a learned helplessness is a form of abuse.

This is on top of the already discussed fact that everybody else in his family seems to hate him, bully him, and blame him for being abused/bullied.

I guarantee grown up Kevin doesn't talk to anyone in his family anymore, and they don't understand why.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

I might be missing something incredibly obvious but idgi

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

“The dogs are in the enclosed pool area” was one of the messages Chris Benoit sent out to a friend during the murder-suicide.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

“The dogs are in the enclosed pool area” was one of the messages Chris Benoit sent out to a friend during the murder-suicide.

Jesus christ

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Please, Chavo Guerrero would never be friends with Santa. Kerwin White, however...

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Aphrodite posted:

Wow. I was thinking it was a "dump the bodies in the hog pen to dispose of the evidence" sort of thing, but that's somehow even darker.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
PYF Subtle Movie Moments: The Im-ho-ho-ho-tep treatment

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

titties posted:

Hot drat!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BrigadierSensible posted:

If we are still talking about Home Alone.

The way that his parents baby Kevin at the beginning of the first film is criminal. It's actually a plot point how Kevin never learned how to do anything for himself, because his parents constantly baby him and treat him like a ... baby.

Robbing a child of agency and creating a learned helplessness is a form of abuse.

This is on top of the already discussed fact that everybody else in his family seems to hate him, bully him, and blame him for being abused/bullied.

I guarantee grown up Kevin doesn't talk to anyone in his family anymore, and they don't understand why.

Seems like some reality subtext here given the actor apparently had an awful stage dad who almost ruined his life and career until he got away. Chris Columbus even made sure to filter out any obvious stage parents when casting Harry Potter apparently.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Seems like some reality subtext here given the actor apparently had an awful stage dad who almost ruined his life and career until he got away. Chris Columbus even made sure to filter out any obvious stage parents when casting Harry Potter apparently.
Seems like it worked since by all accounts the leads at least all seem like fairly non-hosed-up people compared to most child stars.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Ravenfood posted:

Seems like it worked since by all accounts the leads at least all seem like fairly non-hosed-up people compared to most child stars.

Well he had that stage where he looked like he was riding the dragon every day, but maybe he was just playing a lot of WoW.

In other Home Alone news, the actor that played Buzz is just as bad in real life:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/12/23/actor-who-played-home-alone-brother-arrested-in-oklahoma/

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think they meant Chris Columbus' policy of screening out stage parents for the HP kids, not Culkin.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Krispy Wafer posted:

Well he had that stage where he looked like he was riding the dragon every day, but maybe he was just playing a lot of WoW.

In other Home Alone news, the actor that played Buzz is just as bad in real life:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/12/23/actor-who-played-home-alone-brother-arrested-in-oklahoma/

Buzz, your girlfriend? Woof

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I don't know if it was subtle or intentional but I'm watching "It Follows" and the opening 10 or 15 minutes feels like a really clever callback to "Halloween". The way the camera tracks backwards as people walk and talk using really wide revealing shots of the suburbs that make you scan the background, the creepy set up of the two kids watching the girl in the swimming pool (that invoke Michael Myers) and then culminating with the old school station wagon (that Myers used for his escape) being washed in the driveway. Except in Halloween the car was tan, not blue.

I don't know if the director was paying homage to Carpenter, flat out ripping him off or if it was just a coincidence but I got strong Jamie Lynn Curtis/PJ Soles vibes from the way it was shot and I think it was deliberate. One character was even worried that her mom would smell smoke on her. That recalls a scene from Halloween where one girl is scared her dad will smell weed after they smoke up.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

I meant the Harry Potter kids.

Also that might just be his facial structure since Kieran Culkin also looks like that.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

My kids recently watched the most recent Home Sweet Home Alone movie on Disney plus. Spoilers in case In the canon universe, Kevin regularly prank calls his brother Buzz, who is now a police officer, from his implied job as owner of McAllister security.

It's a pretty bad film.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Oh my god, completely forgot about that.

Watch it again, the Trump cameo is chilling.

It's like seeing Thatcher show up on the Flumps.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Bogmonster posted:

My kids recently watched the most recent Home Sweet Home Alone movie on Disney plus. Spoilers in case In the canon universe, Kevin regularly prank calls his brother Buzz, who is now a police officer, from his implied job as owner of McAllister security.

It's a pretty bad film.

I'm sure that movie sucks, but Kevin getting into home security at least makes a lot of sense.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The movie is truly awful.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Ravenfood posted:

I meant the Harry Potter kids.

Ratcliffe is sober now, but was in full swing alcoholism for a while.

Good for him getting dried out.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cleretic posted:

I'm sure that movie sucks, but Kevin getting into home security at least makes a lot of sense.

So does Buzz becoming a fuckin cop

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

So does Buzz becoming a fuckin cop

Beat that guy, you little trout sniffer.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

deoju posted:

Ratcliffe is sober now, but was in full swing alcoholism for a while.

Good for him getting dried out.

Oof, that adds a different layer to A Young Doctor's Notebook

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
In the Sam Raimi movies, Spiderman is from a working class family and his enemies are heads of giant corporations; they are also using cutting edge tech while Spidey is "all natural". All his adventures are set in or around his neighbourhood.

In the MCU movies, Spiderman is pupil to the head of a giant tech corp, uses Stark's cutting edge tech and his first enemy is a blue collar small businessman bullied out of business by Stark. His introduction to the MCU (the airport fight in Civil War) happens not only outside of NY, but outside of the US; and most of his adventures are also far away from NY, from Europe to another planet.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Yeah I'm not a fan of MCU Spider-Man being tech'ed up but at least in Spider-Man: Homecoming there was the plot line of him having to be a hero without the Stark technology.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Android Apocalypse posted:

Yeah I'm not a fan of MCU Spider-Man being tech'ed up but at least in Spider-Man: Homecoming there was the plot line of him having to be a hero without the Stark technology.
Am I misremembering? I thought he already had the Starktech suit at the beginning of Homecoming. He gets it when he goes to Berlin in Civil War, which is before Homecoming.

Edit: ah yeah he gets "depowered" when Stark decides he's hosed up with the boat.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

That Italian Guy posted:

In the Sam Raimi movies, Spiderman is from a working class family and his enemies are heads of giant corporations; they are also using cutting edge tech while Spidey is "all natural". All his adventures are set in or around his neighbourhood.

In the MCU movies, Spiderman is pupil to the head of a giant tech corp, uses Stark's cutting edge tech and his first enemy is a blue collar small businessman bullied out of business by Stark. His introduction to the MCU (the airport fight in Civil War) happens not only outside of NY, but outside of the US; and most of his adventures are also far away from NY, from Europe to another planet.

Reminding me that I watched Ghostbusters (1984) the other day and the EPA is the secondary villain interfering with the chutzpah and go-get-‘em attitude of a bunch of plucky small businessmen who need to store unregulated waste and nuclear technology in the centre of Manhattan.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Torquemada posted:

Reminding me that I watched Ghostbusters (1984) the other day and the EPA is the secondary villain interfering with the chutzpah and go-get-‘em attitude of a bunch of plucky small businessmen who need to store unregulated waste and nuclear technology in the centre of Manhattan.
It's that and other aspects of Ghostbusters that make me think there really would be something in a reboot or sequel or reimagining or whatever, just not at all like the ones we've been getting so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Peck is still a reckless rear end in a top hat about it though. Like, if you do discover a situation where there's a "containment unit" with a bunch of potentially hazardous materials in it, maybe don't arbitrarily cut off the power before studying it a little bit first?