Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

carry on then posted:

the power Macintosh 5200 is another funy tech poo poo thing, we had some of those around. the library also had one of the all in one powermac g3 molars which i knew was ugly even then

My mom used to bring home a computer over the summer (since the schools tended to get broken into and poo poo took over summer break, they'd lend out everything they could in the hopes they would see it again for the new semester)

I loving loved the Molar mac. Her home computer was some ancient 68k LC, and my dad's was a 68k Performa. Having a G3 was like having access to a small god at the time, for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hypercard was the fuckin poo poo drat now i want to fire it up on an emulator

i had it for the //gs too

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i used hypercard in the weird little bonus computer lab. i had dreams of using it to make a choose your own adventure/street fighter type thing. i of course never got around to making it

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

hypercard was the fuckin poo poo drat now i want to fire it up on an emulator

i had it for the //gs too

My dream old computer is a IIc withthe cute little monitor. My firned had one and 100s of pirated games when I was a kid we played with that thing til well after the n64 was out.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
https://archive.org/details/msdos_FriendlyWare_PC_Introductory_Set_1983

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

carry on then posted:

the power Macintosh 5200 is another funy tech poo poo thing, we had some of those around. the library also had one of the all in one powermac g3 molars which i knew was ugly even then

i forgot about the all in one G3

today i learned the "molar" term. i always thought it looked like a disappointed face with an enormous forehead, what with the zip + floppy + CDROM holes

in retrospect it totally lived in this crossover world between two iterations of apple design language. you had the beige front, and the translucent polycarbonate top and back. a jony ive mullet

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

yeah it’s funny it’s like the ultimate iMac; an all in one g3, but with a real mouse real keyboard, and serial scsi AND usb 1, plus floppy and possibly Zip drive.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Ahh zip drives. Click of death.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

later on we had dino park tycoon on the macs at school, but class was never long enough to get anywhere meaningful. there was also sim tower installed at one point

Butt House
Oct 17, 2002

i love you, you jerk

cheque_some posted:

anyone else waste a bunch of time using Hyperstudio? That was the preferred Mac OS 9 time waster in my fifth grade class over Oregon Train and Number Munchers.

it let you do things like have different pages/slides and buttons you could tie to animations or music or page advancement, so we would build different adventure type games where you had different buttons you could pick with different outcomes. I remember at the end of the year the teacher took me aside and was like, if you like this, let me show you...powerpoint. This is the grown up version of Hyperstudio.

we had a mix of Apple IIc, iMacs, G3, and a few of what I believe must have been the Power Mac 5200s

we also had a Sony Mavica. Good to be in the "tech rich" classroom with the geek-friendly teacher

ok I’ve been lurking this thread a ton but holey moley HYPERSTUDIO

around 1994 I was in sixth grade and they built a new elementary school near my house with a ton of great tech…for 1994 at least. brand new pizza box Quadras and Performas. they even had the equipment for an school wide daily news broadcast. Teachers could turn their TVs to Chanel 39 or something, and it was a video feed from a Sony VCR in the library. I got involved with the news broadcast which was totally low rent…pretty much a Sony 8mm camcorder and VCR, and we shoved the library tables to create a “news desk”, and we did the pledge of allegiance.

one of the macs had a/v out and I figured out that we can use hyperstudio for graphics. we could put up the weather and todays lunch menu.

then! some of the performas also had a TV tuner and composite input. I was loving around in hyperstudio one day while the TV tuner application was running behind it. I drew something in pure magenta and holy poo poo the video bled through into hyperstudio, and only he magenta parts. not long after our lovely little 6th grade news program had a chyron :boom:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

SYSV Fanfic posted:

And one of their next immediately subsequent products, the Cliq

absolutely not reading the room or having self critical awareness at all

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Butt House posted:

around 1994 I was in sixth grade and they built a new elementary school near my house with a ton of great tech…for 1994 at least. brand new pizza box Quadras and Performas. they even had the equipment for an school wide daily news broadcast. Teachers could turn their TVs to Chanel 39 or something, and it was a video feed from a Sony VCR in the library. I got involved with the news broadcast which was totally low rent…pretty much a Sony 8mm camcorder and VCR, and we shoved the library tables to create a “news desk”, and we did the pledge of allegiance.

one of the macs had a/v out and I figured out that we can use hyperstudio for graphics. we could put up the weather and todays lunch menu.

then! some of the performas also had a TV tuner and composite input. I was loving around in hyperstudio one day while the TV tuner application was running behind it. I drew something in pure magenta and holy poo poo the video bled through into hyperstudio, and only he magenta parts. not long after our lovely little 6th grade news program had a chyron :boom:

hi welcome to yospos this owns

greg the peanut
Dec 24, 2000

Martytoof posted:

Speaking of school computers, Ontario had these really lovely Unisys ICON computers they’d dumped a bunch of money into. Wikipedia tells me they ran proto-QNX and they were around from like 1982 or something but I’m pretty sure I didn’t see them in my school until probably 1990.

All I remember was they had some weird game where you built a robot, though Wikipedia also tells me that much like everything ever produced in Canada they had some weird “heritage” stuff about fur trading and apparently driving around Canada in a pickup truck :confused:

bad computer

Sorry to drag this back up but drat. You could whip the poo poo out of the integrated trackball, and there was a game called upstairs downstairs where you had to manoeuvre around walls to get to a prize. Late 80s kindergarten in SWO..

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Butt House posted:

post more this rocks

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

Captain Foo posted:

post more this rocks

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Encarta 95 came with this dope 3D trivia game called Mind Maze.

When I was 12, I figured out that the questions were all in plaintext files stored alongside the game engine. I switched out the questions with different ones about some book we had to read for english class, and turned it in as my final project on that segment.

Winty
Sep 22, 2007

Butt House posted:

i also did a 'video production' elective in high school, but 10 years after you. imovie on macs with firewire minidv cameras. it was mostly an excuse for us to leave school to gently caress around and film somewhere in town. every segment would be broadcast on the local school district cable channel. somewhere on youtube is still the fast & furious parody we filmed (most of our segments did not qualify as 'news')

i remember the first year i did this the room was a rats nest of obsolete analog video equipment like something from serial experiments lain. squarepusher vibes. the next year they cleaned it up into a real classroom

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

loving around a bit with something you didn't previously know how to do is genuinely the highest form of education.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
using school equipment to put a picture of a teacher’s head on an elephants rear end or something was also pretty high up there

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

shoeberto posted:

I can't help you whatsoever but I have a game memory that's similarly driven me crazy for decades.
A friend of mine got a computer - an Acer I think? - with a bunch of shareware CDs. One of them was a semi-edutainment thing with a bunch of puzzles about conveyor belts at an airport or something, and you had to line all the belts up in the right directions to get all of the luggage sorted into the right place. I've spent a ton of time trying to find it to no avail. I think it's the only game from that period that I've had zero luck finding even the vaguest mention of its existence.

Shareware CDs, man.

Mothafuckin LET'S EXPLORE THE AIRPORT WITH BUZZY which we also got with our ugly rear end green acer (with built in drive for magnetic tape backups). also came with FURY3 and we grabbed mechwarrior 2 as well from the store that day :hellyeah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxxf3N1Uz8o

i played the unholy poo poo out of that minigame

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Poopernickel posted:

When I was 12, I figured out that the questions were all in plaintext files stored alongside the game engine. I switched out the questions with different ones about some book we had to read for english class, and turned it in as my final project on that segment.

mind maze owned, this owns

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Poopernickel posted:

bump for mind maze

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

funny tech poo poo; Mac users trying to convince you that they didn't need lots of games because they had marathon

Poopernickel posted:

this was the poo poo. You wouldn't get kicked off the school pcs for games for playing it either because they figured it was educational.

with hindsight, lol at being so determined to play games and avoid going outside that I just sat and played mindmaze and probably learned stuff

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

polyester concept posted:

later on we had dino park tycoon on the macs at school, but class was never long enough to get anywhere meaningful. there was also sim tower installed at one point

dino park tycoon owned. I remember buying it from one of those scholastic book fair things we had at school. Legit great game.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

in sixth grade i bought castles 2: siege and conquest from those. the pope hosed up my kingdom a lot

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Winty posted:

i also did a 'video production' elective in high school, but 10 years after you. imovie on macs with firewire minidv cameras. it was mostly an excuse for us to leave school to gently caress around and film somewhere in town. every segment would be broadcast on the local school district cable channel. somewhere on youtube is still the fast & furious parody we filmed (most of our segments did not qualify as 'news')

i remember the first year i did this the room was a rats nest of obsolete analog video equipment like something from serial experiments lain. squarepusher vibes. the next year they cleaned it up into a real classroom
High school video was great. Two periods a day and I did it for three years. A good portion of my junior and senior year were unsupervised loving around with the Avid machine.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

The child in me likes the idea of a CD-ROM encyclopedia a lot more than wikipedia, just for the form factor and the "you gotta sit down and browse" sort of approach rather than searching and getting randos to pull in newspapers blurbs to get views on stuff.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

SYSV Fanfic posted:

i've always heard of this but never experienced it despite using zip drives for almost everything from 1997 until whenever usb thumbdrives became ubiquitous, including through university where they spent the entire time in my backpack when not in use. maybe it's because i always kept the disks in those plastic clamshell cases :iiam:

mr backup z64 was superior to the doctor v64 since it loaded faster and saved games to the zip disks instead of needing some extra memory cartridge

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i love wikipedia, but while it is not the case that a good encyclopedia is more accurate than wikipedia in pure error-count, the errors wikipedia makes are sometimes real glaring and unfortunate stuff. but the print encyclopedia ship has long since sailed, so w/e.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

The_Franz posted:

i've always heard of this but never experienced it despite using zip drives for almost everything from 1997 until whenever usb thumbdrives became ubiquitous, including through university where they spent the entire time in my backpack when not in use. maybe it's because i always kept the disks in those plastic clamshell cases :iiam:

mr backup z64 was superior to the doctor v64 since it loaded faster and saved games to the zip disks instead of needing some extra memory cartridge

I was managing editor of the high school paper one year, and our publisher's zip drive killed our disc and that was their reason we needed to send another.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Kitfox88 posted:

Mothafuckin LET'S EXPLORE THE AIRPORT WITH BUZZY which we also got with our ugly rear end green acer (with built in drive for magnetic tape backups). also came with FURY3 and we grabbed mechwarrior 2 as well from the store that day :hellyeah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxxf3N1Uz8o

i played the unholy poo poo out of that minigame

No loving way, that's it!!!

this rules, gently caress yeah

I tried to do poo poo like this in jr high/HS with my parent's Sony camcorder but it was way less cool cuz it was in the era of Adobe Premier and poo poo. Still, some of my most fun memories was making dumb videos for school projects that were really just an excuse to gently caress around with digital video.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
gently caress me I'm so happy I know the name of that game now. I've been looking for it since like 2006.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

yeah I never got the Zip drive click of death. I did have a syquest ez 135 that came pre loaded with Mac game demos so that ruled (until they died in a very non- clicky way).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i never had a zip drive but i had a mouse for my amiga that just didnt work right, i could only get it to move to the right if i slammed it hard against the table

years later i discovered that you could take the ball out and clean the rollers and im pretty sure thats why that old mouse didnt work. impossible to test that hypothesis tho :(

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
kids would steal mouse balls out of the lab computer mice so the librarians would superglue the doors shut

you can imagine how well they worked after a few weeks without being cleaned

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
love how IT got appended onto Library

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

hell yea library computers. but re mouse its weird cause i was always in the library playing the handful of games they had, and later making games in qbasic on the machine the physics teacher set up

tbh the timeline is muddy, i just remember my amiga mouse sucking and later thinking "maybe i shouldve cleaned it"... i might have gotten and discarded the amiga mouse before i realized that mice had balls?

anyway one of the games on the library computer was Europaspillet which i guess was an attempt at staking out a similar spot here as the oregon trail one. check it out, its garbage, almost constnat pc speaker bleeting out various national anthems:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5oHDntXi6Q

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

ErrorInvalidUser posted:

love how IT got appended onto Library

becuase it would be too hard to just keep all the mice in a basket behind the circulation desk and check them out to each student, and have each one turn them in at end of class (with ball)

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

SYSV Fanfic posted:

i thought i'd lost my zip disk with my college projects on it but nope it was still in my one g3 all these years

DamnGlitch posted:

yeah I never got the Zip drive click of death. I did have a syquest ez 135 that came pre loaded with Mac game demos so that ruled (until they died in a very non- clicky way).

i didn't, either, but my professors warned us constantly and told everyone to buy extras and alternate disks. they were pricy at the time and I was determined to avoid extra expenses

I've said it before in this thread, but I had a princely 32mb cf card and reader and felt like I was from the future when I realized it worked as a regular drive, saving me minutes of transfer time and much of the anxiety of zip clicks. a few months later someone shared how to turn our computers in the dorms into ftp servers and suddenly nobody carried those drat disks and a lot of design students became big fans of fetch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

at the first major conference i went to microsoft had a giveaway if you talked to ten vendors across the 200,000 sq ft exhibit hall. it took me over an hour

my reward was a 32 mb usb flash drive when 128mb was the minimum standard giveaway

also it was nonbootable