Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

FakePoet posted:

I'm still terrible at kickoffs, and honestly, probably not great in general considering I have like 1700 hours in the game. Though I did take a break for...a couple of years, so I'm still working off whatever happens when one does that.

One of my "issues", such as it is, is that I still don't know the right way to go about practicing whatever I need to. Mechanically speaking.

Join the discord that I linked above and find the #try-hardzone and post about it and people will help. Post replays or at the very least clips if you have them. If not you can probably get someone to party up with you and see how bad you are first hand!

If you're talking about practicing kickoffs, boost a little, flip, boost more then flip into the ball. Just do that over and over in 1s :zombie:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
I believe I'm in the discord, and I'll try and get in the habit of saving replays.

Though "people will help" and "play 1's" are mutually exclusive in my universe. Even as I tell myself that my despising 1's has probably, if not stunted, at least limited my growth as a player, historically.

They're just super not that fun to me :(

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Yeah all I'm saying is it's the best way to practice kickoffs, since you go for all of them. If 1s isn't fun for you don't play 1s. The people in the discord being helpful has nothing to do with you playing 1s except for the fact that at least one person will tell you to play 1s.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Playing ones is absolutely the best way to see what bad touches you're making.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
1v1 definitely has its merits, it puts you on the ball for the majority of the time and gives you no backup, nobody to blame for the mistakes you make so you just have to learn to deal with them. But it's also a game mode that can be painfully unfun. I tried to be a 1s main multiple times and never really got in a groove where I was enjoying more than one in every six games, but I am also really bad and don't have the mindset for 1v1. If you're not having fun, why are you even playing?

Besides free-play practice giving you space to just try stuff, 2v2 is good because you don't have so many people to content with, so you get more time to do things, you also have someone who might be inclined to be on your side so your mistakes aren't as immediately fatal. Plus, you get some idea of how to play around people, spacing, rotations, which 1v1 just does not require you to think about.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
My kickoff strategy is to watch my teammate(s) (using reverse camera when necessary) and try to direct the ball towards them. Can only do that for so long, so I don't always know where they're actually going; I have to guess with less than a half second of watching them. And to be sure, I just do boost with a flip in to the ball at the end, so I have time to watch and think rather than having to concentrate on timing button presses for the fast kickoff.

If my teammate goes for boost, I direct it to that side/corner. If they cheat, I try to stall it so they can take a shot. I've gotten pretty reliable at this... the vast majority of the time the ball goes backwards, but towards my teammate, which is the desired outcome. Stalling is harder since you really need to keep an eye on the opposing kickoff and counter them just right.

If my teammates are paying attention, this usually ends up with them getting a good chance at the ball. Sometimes it goes forwards and I check what my teammates are doing to see if I should fall back to net or follow through (with or without boost, depending on what's going on). Sometimes I whiff and gently caress over my teammates and probably cause a goal, usually because I'm a split second late in my timing when the other team does something unexpected and I have to adjust at the last second. Sometimes the other team whiffs and I score a goal.

IMO it's better for the ball to go backwards towards my teammates than to send it forwards where the other team can gain control. It's also way easier to predict and control if you accept that it's coming your way. Otherwise if it goes forwards, unless my teammates are following through right away (instead of getting boost), chances are the other team will return the ball while we're scrambling to set up a shot. Either someone on my team recognizes this and is ready to defend/clear, or the ball goes over everyone's heads because we expected to be able to make a play.

This is low diamond/high plat, so I could probably be doing this a lot better. I'm also that guy who always spams "I Got It!" on kickoff when I'm in front... gently caress that "left always goes" crap, that's some lazy bullshit... use your quick chat, that's what it's there for.

and lmao I don't 1v1 because that poo poo is way too stressful, so I have no idea how to do kickoff without relying on teammates.

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.

DaveSauce posted:

My kickoff strategy is to watch my teammate(s) (using reverse camera when necessary) and try to direct the ball towards them. Can only do that for so long, so I don't always know where they're actually going; I have to guess with less than a half second of watching them. And to be sure, I just do boost with a flip in to the ball at the end, so I have time to watch and think rather than having to concentrate on timing button presses for the fast kickoff.

If my teammate goes for boost, I direct it to that side/corner. If they cheat, I try to stall it so they can take a shot. I've gotten pretty reliable at this... the vast majority of the time the ball goes backwards, but towards my teammate, which is the desired outcome. Stalling is harder since you really need to keep an eye on the opposing kickoff and counter them just right.

If my teammates are paying attention, this usually ends up with them getting a good chance at the ball. Sometimes it goes forwards and I check what my teammates are doing to see if I should fall back to net or follow through (with or without boost, depending on what's going on). Sometimes I whiff and gently caress over my teammates and probably cause a goal, usually because I'm a split second late in my timing when the other team does something unexpected and I have to adjust at the last second. Sometimes the other team whiffs and I score a goal.

IMO it's better for the ball to go backwards towards my teammates than to send it forwards where the other team can gain control. It's also way easier to predict and control if you accept that it's coming your way. Otherwise if it goes forwards, unless my teammates are following through right away (instead of getting boost), chances are the other team will return the ball while we're scrambling to set up a shot. Either someone on my team recognizes this and is ready to defend/clear, or the ball goes over everyone's heads because we expected to be able to make a play.

This is low diamond/high plat, so I could probably be doing this a lot better. I'm also that guy who always spams "I Got It!" on kickoff when I'm in front... gently caress that "left always goes" crap, that's some lazy bullshit... use your quick chat, that's what it's there for.

and lmao I don't 1v1 because that poo poo is way too stressful, so I have no idea how to do kickoff without relying on teammates.

The kickoff positions that start in the corners are physically closer than the ones near your goal, so when there is a corner spawn, they should go for kickoff.

Left goes automatically does two things for you:

1.) Removes ambiguity when there are two corner spawns or all three goal side spawns.
2.) Cuts down the number of spawn positions people have to be good at for kickoff as lots of people never play 1s.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Whoever is yelling at me in chat to stop triple committing, I will never stop triple
Committing, coward.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Irregardless posted:

The kickoff positions that start in the corners are physically closer than the ones near your goal, so when there is a corner spawn, they should go for kickoff.

I thought that was obvious, but yes I only take kickoff when I'm in a position to do so.

Irregardless posted:

Left goes automatically does two things for you:

1.) Removes ambiguity when there are two corner spawns or all three goal side spawns.
2.) Cuts down the number of spawn positions people have to be good at for kickoff as lots of people never play 1s.

I mean, I get WHY it's a thing. But there's nothing there that is advantageous over using quick chat. It eliminates any sort of skill, strategy, or spontaneity in the game if left is always taking the kickoff. It's lazy in my opinion.

The biggest thing I hate is when people rage over it. "bUt LeFt AlWaYs GoEs!" they cry as they double up on the kickoff even though another teammate called it and nobody argued.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Rather than argue I’m just gonna suggest you try left side goes for a week and let us know at the end if kickoffs went bad more or less often.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

DaveSauce posted:

I mean, I get WHY it's a thing. But there's nothing there that is advantageous over using quick chat. It eliminates any sort of skill, strategy, or spontaneity in the game if left is always taking the kickoff. It's lazy in my opinion.

I get that you are overstating the point you're trying to make here by like a ton, but I'm not really sure why?

Yes people raging over it is stupid. People rage over everything in this game, and it's always stupid. But having in the back of your brain "everyone thinks left goes" especially on the first kickoff of a game with random teammates is good to know. If you want to play it safe, it's a good idea to assume your teammates are probably going to behave accordingly.

DrakeD
Jul 9, 2008

Rats in the hallway again!
Also some people DO play with chat off.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

DrakeD posted:

Also some people DO play with chat off.

Monsters. Every one.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I guess I just get annoyed when people rage about violating imaginary rules that don't make much sense in video games. But here I am posting about it so :shrug:

I mean maybe "left goes" is good for lower ranks, but at diamond and above I expect people to be able to work together and communicate and adapt. (edit: lmao I just remembered what game I'm talking about, people in diamond still rage and throw games due to some perceived slight against them by their teammates)

Also:

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Monsters. Every one.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jan 5, 2022

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I don't give a poo poo what random teammates say in quick chat.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Wow!

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

What a Save!

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Okay.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Thanks!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Calculated.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
*every single goal*

Nice shot!

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

*every single goal*

Nice shot!

I'm just being nice :mad:

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
May Centice grace your car with unlimited boost

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

*every single goal*

Nice shot!

I prefer "Nice one!" so when the other team scores, my teammates don't know if I'm complimenting our opponents on a nice play or sniping at them for loving it up.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Playing D grade soccer for my town club between the ages of 6 and 15 (when I decided I'd rather be home play video games and guitar) has condition me to "gg. Well played." at the end of every match no matter how bad a game it actually was, because they would make us line up at the end of the match and shake the hands of the other teams players and we'd alternate between mindlessly saying "Good game" and "Well played" with each handshake before going to McDonalds.

Plus as far as I'm concerned platinum rank is the D grade local club soccer of Rocket League so it's just the way you do things at that level.

Redezga fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 6, 2022

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Morale is a hugely important concern when playing with randos - if it's high people will play better and be more likely to stick around if you go down a goal or two. I try to send positive messages whenever possible to let them know I appreciate them.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

pthighs posted:

Morale is a hugely important concern when playing with randos - if it's high people will play better and be more likely to stick around if you go down a goal or two. I try to send positive messages whenever possible to let them know I appreciate them.

Welcome to Rocket League, I love you. Welcome to Rocket League, I love you. Welcome to Rocket League, I love you.

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

DaveSauce posted:

I mean maybe "left goes" is good for lower ranks, but at diamond and above I expect people to be able to work together and communicate and adapt. (edit: lmao I just remembered what game I'm talking about, people in diamond still rage and throw games due to some perceived slight against them by their teammates)

Imma keep it real for you, it doesn't change at champ either.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Savage!

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Honestly as angry as it makes me in the actual game, the mental image of a someone inexplicably rage rocketing their way out of arena in front of a packed crowd a minute in and never returning is very funny.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

FakePoet posted:

I'm still terrible at kickoffs, and honestly, probably not great in general considering I have like 1700 hours in the game. Though I did take a break for...a couple of years, so I'm still working off whatever happens when one does that.

One of my "issues", such as it is, is that I still don't know the right way to go about practicing whatever I need to. Mechanically speaking.

if you're on PC, there's a bakkesmod plugin called kickoff timer that I found helpful. it will give you the time it took between pressing the gas and contact with the ball. that at least gives you something quantitative to measure yourself against when practicing kickoffs in freeplay

it's not perfect, it won't start the timer if you just press boost and not gas (iirc, this might be vice versa), so there's some inaccuracy depending on how close together you press those

reading the opponent and the 50 is probably more important than the boost-flip-boost part of the kickoff (play ones) but this has been a useful tool for me

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
RLCS starts back up today with the first round of the winter split for North America, watch live here:

https://twitch.tv/rocketleague

and if you want drops link your Rocket League and Twitch accounts here:

https://esports.rocketleague.com/rewards/

You just need to leave the Rocket League channel idling, and click "claim reward" when you've watched long enough.

You'll want the Splash goal explosion, but instead get hundreds of RLCS decals for cars you don't use.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

pthighs posted:

As much as I'll sometimes get tilted when a teammate messes something up, if they throw a "Whoops" or "Sorry!" in chat, I always give back a "No Problem" because it's ok to make mistakes. We're just having some wholesome fun playing Rocket League.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
I stopped playing for like 16 months, and came back when I got a new tv - testing the hdr led to playing and I’m back to an hour a night. I’m one game away from hitting D3 for the first time, an all time high, which is crazy because before this break I could hardly stay in D1. I was comfortable around that rank but suspected that I couldn’t get much better on a 60hz tv that wasn’t huge.

Of course I can’t be sure, but it seems like upgrading the tv was a major contributor. I got a 120hz 65” screen and it feels so much easier to predict opponents that are far off because I can see them. The extra frame rate has really helped with handling, since during rapid camera movement you get twice the updates for your brain to react to. I never used to roll much during aerials but the smoothness makes my movements feel much more organic and experimenting is going well.

Basically what I’m saying is don’t play this game on Switch.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Enderzero posted:

I stopped playing for like 16 months, and came back when I got a new tv - testing the hdr led to playing and I’m back to an hour a night. I’m one game away from hitting D3 for the first time, an all time high, which is crazy because before this break I could hardly stay in D1. I was comfortable around that rank but suspected that I couldn’t get much better on a 60hz tv that wasn’t huge.

Of course I can’t be sure, but it seems like upgrading the tv was a major contributor. I got a 120hz 65” screen and it feels so much easier to predict opponents that are far off because I can see them. The extra frame rate has really helped with handling, since during rapid camera movement you get twice the updates for your brain to react to. I never used to roll much during aerials but the smoothness makes my movements feel much more organic and experimenting is going well.

Basically what I’m saying is don’t play this game on Switch.

I'm wondering if your new TV has less input lag? That might honestly have more to do with things than the framerate.

You should also join the discord: https://discord.gg/FjBK8bUk

There's plenty of people around your rank there, and plenty higher as well if you end up wanting some tips and pointers for how to improve.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
I’m on the discord but it’s always good to promote it. Input lag is probably a minor factor but I bought my last tv because it was good on that front - about 17ms which is spot on for 60hz - though you’re right, the new tv has an incredible 6ms. I really think it’s been my ability to estimate things better - tight timings like hitting a ball just after it’s bounced or seeing how a fast hit ball is moving is way easier with higher frame rate. And like I said, the larger size means I can see how opponents are moving and their car’s positioning much better and narrow the space of where they might hit it.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Me and my buddy play like almost every night for like a month, and then take 3 or 4 months off and mess around with other games. This time around something has changed, we're passing the ball to each other on purpose, or just calling out stuff so the other person can be there, and overall just communicating stuff throughout the game. It's been a huge boon to our gameplay its nuts. We were just kinda plat/diamond cusp but we've been winning games like crazy, compared to before and got to mid diamond pretty quick.

i think taking little breaks from the game can be sorta helpful sometimes maybe

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

Enderzero posted:

I’m on the discord but it’s always good to promote it. Input lag is probably a minor factor but I bought my last tv because it was good on that front - about 17ms which is spot on for 60hz - though you’re right, the new tv has an incredible 6ms. I really think it’s been my ability to estimate things better - tight timings like hitting a ball just after it’s bounced or seeing how a fast hit ball is moving is way easier with higher frame rate. And like I said, the larger size means I can see how opponents are moving and their car’s positioning much better and narrow the space of where they might hit it.

in 2020 I was on xbox with a crappy value TV. I switched to PC, hardwired controller, and a 144hz monitor and went from gold3 to high plat overnight. Pretty sure it was mostly input lag but It makes a huge difference.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Yeah, input delay is huge. The SSL's in this video seriously struggled against diamonds, for example :v: I'm c2 on PC and on my switch lite I think I play around a plat 1 level
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6lrAFp7Yd8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hitchens
Oct 24, 2012

harlequin macaw

How wild are the rank jumps?

I just got my competitive rank and starting at plat 3 before learning anything.
Do I drop back down fast?