Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Since I have decided to look for a job, the best I could muster was updating linkedin a bit and couldn't find the motivation to even work on my resume. Current work was just consuming my time and I was exhausted. Now that we've beaten a deadline I was given the week off and first thing I see on linkedin is a former coworker just got a director position at a company I'm interested in working, which I have also partnered with on projects in the past. My job title aligns with their open positions and the salaries are right, and it's all remote. This is almost too perfect but I finally have the motivation to slam out some killer resume poo poo and get that job.

So for all you cyber punks out there losing hope because of depression and exhaustion and work killing you, there may be hope! I'm gonna slow roll this a bit because I don't wanna get too excited! This dude has actually interviewed me before as part of an internal thing so let's hope he still likes me.

good luck! i'm currently at the first job i got through my professional network as opposed to shotgunning applications and it was a night and day difference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
submitted application online at the same time I reached out to someone I know and before they were even able to look in their system for me a different director set up a 30 minute call with me that went very well. I have some technical stuff to do (attacker scenario where I have to probably exploit some service or capture a flag, and write some instructional content so they can check my writing chops) and then I’ll have a panel interview next week. shits moving fast!

contacted an old boss about references and he instead is trying to get me to work with him again AND another reference I was talking to works at that company. goddamn I wish I knew it would be this streamlined for me but stress and depression are a hell of a demotivater. I’m so ready to get out of this place.

is it considered bad form to poach your entire team when you leave?I like my coworkers a lot and they would probably thrive elsewhere too. like obviously the answer is yes but I’m so excited

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Fart Sandwiches posted:

submitted application online at the same time I reached out to someone I know and before they were even able to look in their system for me a different director set up a 30 minute call with me that went very well. I have some technical stuff to do (attacker scenario where I have to probably exploit some service or capture a flag, and write some instructional content so they can check my writing chops) and then I’ll have a panel interview next week. shits moving fast!

contacted an old boss about references and he instead is trying to get me to work with him again AND another reference I was talking to works at that company. goddamn I wish I knew it would be this streamlined for me but stress and depression are a hell of a demotivater. I’m so ready to get out of this place.

is it considered bad form to poach your entire team when you leave?I like my coworkers a lot and they would probably thrive elsewhere too. like obviously the answer is yes but I’m so excited

Congrats and go for it.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Fart Sandwiches posted:

network-based job hunting is so good

poaching your old team is “bad form” in the same way that not giving notice is “bad form,” aka you might burn some bridges but you might not care about those bridges. (your contract might also have a no-poach clause which might cause you a varying amount of trouble)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

No poaching clauses are a pretty blatant violation of antitrust law but you still might have to go through some trouble to get that recognized. Your call as to whether you want to deal with that.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

oh that reminds me- my no-poach expires tomorrow :evilbuddy:

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
got a call from old boss (same guy who said he could get me more money now I’d put notice in formally) asking me to come back and run the team I quit. good money but that company is cooked, nothing I can fix as a product guy.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
wage inflation is real, y’all.

my normal yearly performance review is in april, but i got a mid-year pay bump of 3% (not a lot but it’s nice) back in August, and another 8% bump that starts Jan 1. they say they’re adjusting to market rates so they’re probably hiring some new folks and finding the new people are out-earning existing employees with the same job title. i was already making about 15% more than the range for my job on levels.fyi before those bumps, (which seems right because those sites always lag a bit)

if you are moving to a new job right now, make sure u get paid.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

for the first time my manager put her finger on the scale instead of just giving me what the planner program spit out. wasn't a ton more but hey everything helps 🤷‍♀️

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
that’s good to know. I’m def going for about a 20% bump. I know I’m underpaid but that’s kinda the territory of staying at one place for so long. I was always so risk averse and the work was good until it wasn’t.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Fart Sandwiches posted:

that’s good to know. I’m def going for about a 20% bump. I know I’m underpaid but that’s kinda the territory of staying at one place for so long. I was always so risk averse and the work was good until it wasn’t.

yeah, I moved to this place and got a significant bump after 10 years at another employer which was a little more stable and boring to work at, but that’s what i was looking for at the time. i let them make the initial offer, i used sites like levels and glassdoor to make sure i wasn’t asking for too little, and I got more than their initial offer. that was only in 2019 but I guess the lesson is to always ask for a lot more all the time.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
i'm expecting most of my comp bump this cycle to be in equity. probably like 3-5% raise but a few hundred k over the next 4 years in rsus

gonna come back and quote this when it's 3% and another 10k a year in stock lol

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Blinkz0rz posted:

i'm expecting most of my comp bump this cycle to be in equity. probably like 3-5% raise but a few hundred k over the next 4 years in rsus

gonna come back and quote this when it's 3% and another 10k a year in stock lol

I sort of have the opposite problem, I joined my current employer shortly before they went public and got options on signing, they’ve been giving out RSUs annually since but in significantly smaller numbers so when my options run out it’s gonna be like a 25% pay cut and I’m not sure how to feel about it

like I always knew this would be happening eventually, so the options money has been plowed back into investments except for like a couple furniture purchases. we haven’t been relying on it or anything. but also I’m gonna be making less money for doing this in 8 months than I am now

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

if they let you take a big pay cut and you stay, that's kind of painting "doormat" across your back. i guess unless the pay-with-options is some crazy high number that other places simply couldn't match. but your situation sound like what mine would've been if i hadn't left oldjob. even counting the options at their current valuation (and ignoring purchase price), i make over 2x now what i did there

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Arcsech posted:

I sort of have the opposite problem, I joined my current employer shortly before they went public and got options on signing, they’ve been giving out RSUs annually since but in significantly smaller numbers so when my options run out it’s gonna be like a 25% pay cut and I’m not sure how to feel about it

like I always knew this would be happening eventually, so the options money has been plowed back into investments except for like a couple furniture purchases. we haven’t been relying on it or anything. but also I’m gonna be making less money for doing this in 8 months than I am now

same thing is happening to me. i joined right after going public so my contract had options in it. i've received an rsu-based equity refresh twice with my first one completing next quarter so yeah, search starts in earnest if i lose money in any way because

Achmed Jones posted:

if they let you take a big pay cut and you stay, that's kind of painting "doormat" across your back.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Achmed Jones posted:

if they let you take a big pay cut and you stay, that's kind of painting "doormat" across your back.

I’d be more concerned with whether I was happy with my situation than whether or not employer respects me (I know they don’t). If you want the money, sure, but if your otherwise happy whatever.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Well I've been holding off posting on the off chance somebody at works reads my posts (not likely) and waiting for my background check to clear (it just did!).

After 9 years at my current job, I got a new job !
I was always underpaid at my job, this new job is a massive raise, over 50%. By all measures I'm above market rate now.

I'm going to call my manager now and ruin new years for him. I'll make a longer post later.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Perplx posted:

Well I've been holding off posting on the off chance somebody at works reads my posts (not likely) and waiting for my background check to clear (it just did!).

I was always underpaid at my job, this new job is a massive raise, over 50%. By all measures I'm above market rate now.

I'm going to call my manager now and ruin new years for him. I'll make a longer post later.
:toot: :woop:

and dont feel a single molecule of regret when you call your manager. he and his company had every chance to elevate your salary to market rate and they chose not to. walk out of there with your head held high

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Perplx posted:

hell yes

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Perplx posted:

hell yeah :hellyeah:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

we got one last :yotj: squeezed in on the last day hell yeah

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Woo :yotj:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

lmao at calling the manager on nye to quit. pro tier power move

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
well I’m halfway through my capture the flag assessment for this job and it’s actually fun. the first challenge had me stumped and I was like why am I so stupid I’ll never get the job and it turns out I was testing the http served site and the challenge specified https. had to stop for night routine with my kid but I’m excited to get the rest done

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Perplx posted:

h*ck yes congrats

i will be next

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Perplx posted:

congratulations comrade

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

i.. am freaking out and cannot concentrate. i have an interview tomorrow setup by a recruiter. the recruiter wants to be on a skype call at the same time and display answers to questions on screen in case i don't know any. the recruiter (and their boss) informed me this is how everyone does it, which i don't buy, and i just want out. i'm conflicted by them helping quite a bit in prepping, and they'll probably never get paid by the company if i cancel or ignore tomorrow's interview. at the same time, i can't see myself doing this. it just sucks

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

that’s super shady and if their client ever finds out could cause a big shitshow

if I knew who they were I’d reach out directly and rat them out

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Good Sphere posted:

i.. am freaking out and cannot concentrate. i have an interview tomorrow setup by a recruiter. the recruiter wants to be on a skype call at the same time and display answers to questions on screen in case i don't know any. the recruiter (and their boss) informed me this is how everyone does it, which i don't buy, and i just want out. i'm conflicted by them helping quite a bit in prepping, and they'll probably never get paid by the company if i cancel or ignore tomorrow's interview. at the same time, i can't see myself doing this. it just sucks

if you go through with it and get caught then every single hiring manager that talks to anyone at this company who knows about it is going to blackball you forever. gently caress the scummy-rear end recruiter, stop working with them, and tell the company you're interviewing with to get their contract blown up if you're feeling feisty

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

qirex posted:

that’s super shady and if their client ever finds out could cause a big shitshow

same, that’s super sketchy

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

super shady, i would not touch it

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

thank you guys, yeah i'm not doing this. i'd still have the interview, but the recruiters are the ones that would pay me

qirex posted:

yeah that's been crossing my mind a lot. at the same time, that also worries me. at this point, i've given the recruiters all of my vital personal information, and signed a ton of documents basically signing my life away

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

for the love of god don't do it, and strongly consider blowing up the recruiting agency's situation

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Good Sphere posted:

yeah that's been crossing my mind a lot. at the same time, that also worries me. at this point, i've given the recruiters all of my vital personal information, and signed a ton of documents basically signing my life away

uhhh could you explain here? they're recruiters not employers

is it actually a staffing agency, and the agency is interviewing you with clients and trying to cheat? that's also very very bad of course, but it's a different thing from what you're describing because it could blow back on you much more than burning a recruiter. it's just as shady though

wait you're saying recruiters are paying you? that's not what "recruiter" means, please clarify what you mean by that word

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

what the hell?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
in case you guys were wondering about the integrity of zoom school, it's the exact same thing as this dude's interview

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Achmed Jones posted:

uhhh could you explain here? they're recruiters not employers

is it actually a staffing agency, and the agency is interviewing you with clients and trying to cheat? that's also very very bad of course, but it's a different thing from what you're describing because it could blow back on you much more than burning a recruiter. it's just as shady though

wait you're saying recruiters are paying you? that's not what "recruiter" means, please clarify what you mean by that word

sorry you are right. i get confused, because they sound like a recruiter, but they are a staffing company. they relieve a lot of the work companies would have to do; the staffing company interviews potential employees, so the company only has to perform one interview

and yes, the pay would be coming through the staffing company

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

It sounds like a staffing agency, which still has recruiters and they do pay you

e: yeah those places are near universally scum middlemen

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
tbqh you may be in "talk about this with a lawyer instead of an internet forum" territory, because if the client finds out that the staffing agency is doing this lawsuits might very well start flying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Good Sphere posted:

sorry you are right. i get confused, because they sound like a recruiter, but they are a staffing company. they relieve a lot of the work companies would have to do; the staffing company interviews potential employees, so the company only has to perform one interview

and yes, the pay would be coming through the staffing company

ah ok in that case you are significantly more hosed - you took a job with crooks.

document _everything_. document proof of your claims as well. try to decline the cheating. if you don't need this job and it won't somehow legally gently caress you, quit immediately and find a job that isn't this much of a shitshow.

you probably want to call a lawyer right about now, too