Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I had to fix my elite strap with electrical tape after it cracked on both sides. I'm amazed that they haven't redesigned it, the plastic on the sides is too rigid and thin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

oh the kiwi one looks nice. i usually dont VR more than an hour anyways if im up moving around so that'll work, and at the Pc i can just tether it so thats fine. thanks for the reccomendation!

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
VTOL VR is getting a helicopter as DLC next week. Really excited for this!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

What is there to do in VTOL VR or is it more of a sandbox thing? I've had the game on my wishlist forever but never pulled the trigger on it because I was never really sure what the game was beyond piloting the various planes.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

queeb posted:

is the elite strap for the quest 2 pretty good? i have some knockoff amazon one that is OK but the elite strap looks like it may be more comfy, and has the battery pack.

I'm tempted by the bobovr M2 pro, mainly because it has an integrated but swappable battery pack that looks pretty sleek

https://www.amazon.com/BOBOVR-M2-Pro-Lightweight-Replaceable/dp/B09JNR4Y15

unfortunately the page now shows that it's both a "#1 New Release" and "currently unavailable", so I guess it's already sold out

I think it was about $60 when I looked before, which feels pretty reasonable

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

OK I've gone from having no interest in Pavlov at all to buying it immediately. It sounds like it has that Wild West Internet vibe I've missed for years and by the way I was an absolute master of NeoTokyo back in the day

Does it have any The Hidden maps by any chance

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

That's an official gamemode since October.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

OK I've gone from having no interest in Pavlov at all to buying it immediately. It sounds like it has that Wild West Internet vibe I've missed for years and by the way I was an absolute master of NeoTokyo back in the day

Yeah The Hidden is official now and TERRIFYING.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It’s so good, play it in that one prison map, that’s a blast.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Tip posted:

I'm tempted by the bobovr M2 pro, mainly because it has an integrated but swappable battery pack that looks pretty sleek

https://www.amazon.com/BOBOVR-M2-Pro-Lightweight-Replaceable/dp/B09JNR4Y15

unfortunately the page now shows that it's both a "#1 New Release" and "currently unavailable", so I guess it's already sold out

I think it was about $60 when I looked before, which feels pretty reasonable

I have this and I'm very happy with it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

explosivo posted:

What is there to do in VTOL VR or is it more of a sandbox thing? I've had the game on my wishlist forever but never pulled the trigger on it because I was never really sure what the game was beyond piloting the various planes.

There are many campaigns available on Steam Workshop, including one that ports over 6 missions from an Ace Combat game.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah The Hidden is official now and TERRIFYING.

Yeah? What’s the game mode called I loved Hidden source and haven’t encountered it yet

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Don’t get the elite strap.

I have this one and it’s been great. It’s beefy and good for big heads

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092VJKR3M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_9H7MH5RFX1W5CQVW95S8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Since we’re talking Pavlov, the quest version is separate and not in parity with the PCVR version, right?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Frog Act posted:

Yeah? What’s the game mode called I loved Hidden source and haven’t encountered it yet

They call it "The Hide" for some reason and it's not SUPER popular yet.
Push just came out and it has taken a lot of attention away from it.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

On the DAS are the earphones supposed to sit on your ears like regular headphones do? Mine do not and I'm not sure how to fix it.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I got a Rift S a while back, and while I liked it, I fell off of it. Mainly, it was kind of uncomfortable with glasses on and it did not seem calibrated right; Like, the image was a bit fuzzy for me around the edges.

I sort of want to get a Quest 2 to get back into VR but I would like to know what it has over the Rift S (Having swearing fealty to the Meta fiefdom aside), and if it could possibly be better in the complaints I mentioned.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

queeb posted:

oh the kiwi one looks nice. i usually dont VR more than an hour anyways if im up moving around so that'll work, and at the Pc i can just tether it so thats fine. thanks for the reccomendation!

They do make little straps for putting a battery pack on it. I think it's just Velcro though, but that seems to work for people.

But I'd take other people's advice over mine, I use the DAS tethered. Got a cousin who's really happy with the Kiwi.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Unlucky7 posted:

I got a Rift S a while back, and while I liked it, I fell off of it. Mainly, it was kind of uncomfortable with glasses on and it did not seem calibrated right; Like, the image was a bit fuzzy for me around the edges.

I sort of want to get a Quest 2 to get back into VR but I would like to know what it has over the Rift S (Having swearing fealty to the Meta fiefdom aside), and if it could possibly be better in the complaints I mentioned.

The biggest thing the quest has over the rift s is it’s standalone capabilities.

But to address the concerns raised, it does have better screens and optics than the rift s. Although to be fair I use a rift s and a quest 2 with glasses and they both seem fine to me :iiam:

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

quest 2 has an adjustable IPD and rift s doesn't, so unless your eyes are at just the right distance apart for the rift s you'll probably get a clearer picture in the quest 2

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Luneshot posted:

Can someone remind me why the Cosmos series isn’t well regarded? The OP’s rating is a poop emoji, which is not exactly informative. I’m currently using a Rift S, but I’m considering upgrading, as I use VR on a regular basis (multiple nights a week) and the cable is starting to get finicky/controllers are starting to drift pretty badly.

I’d like to do the SteamVR ecosystem so I can use proper full-body tracking, and I know the Index is still a good headset even at its price.

A friend is suggesting I do a Cosmos Elite instead of an Index, noting that it is part of the SteamVR ecosystem and also offers some other nice-to-haves like wireless addons. I know Vive Pro Eye 2 is also an option or whatever, but why is the Cosmos thought of so poorly?

The design is cost reduced so it doesn't have eye relief and is less comfortable compared to HTC's Vive branded stuff and considerably worse than Index. The screens are pentile OLED so sharpness isn't much better than the Rift S but with worse screen door effect. It's based on v1 SteamVR tracking tech, which is less accurate than v2 and incompatible with the newer base stations, so you're stuck with a maximum of 2 per tracked space. The wireless kit is jank, the receiver overheats and the transmitter requires a dedicated PCIe slot in your PC.

The Cosmos was a disaster of a product, the Elite is the only variant that has any practical use as it actually works, unlike the inside-out tracked models. But it still sucks, don't buy it.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
One more question: Is it worth it to get the Quest 2 with the larger storage space?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Saukkis posted:

Yes, this is a major change. My friends with 3070 and Quest 2, and 3080 with Vive Pro have been dealing with this in recent months. Waiting for patches and trying to find settings that provide acceptable performance. December update improved things, but I think both are still staying in Horizon. The guy with Vive can't quite manage 90 fps even with VR-low settings, he suspects he could manage it with AMD FSR and better CPU.

Yeah I get around 40 fps on Odyssey VR-high with a 3070ti and 1.6 resolution (I don't think it's actually supersampling, based on how it looks it's probably 1.6x rift CV1 or something like that, significantly less than native for G2).

I have no trouble getting 90 fps all maxed (and not just VR maxed) in horizons.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Unlucky7 posted:

One more question: Is it worth it to get the Quest 2 with the larger storage space?

Most games are still fairly small but there's the occasional biggie like Saints & Sinners (~10GB) and MoH (~41GB).

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Private Speech posted:

Yeah I get around 40 fps on Odyssey VR-high with a 3070ti and 1.6 resolution (I don't think it's actually supersampling, based on how it looks it's probably 1.6x rift CV1 or something like that, significantly less than native for G2).

drat. I’ve only got a regular 3070. Does the in game scaling help at all? Elite is one game that could really benefit from DLSS.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

chaosapiant posted:

drat. I’ve only got a regular 3070. Does the in game scaling help at all? Elite is one game that could really benefit from DLSS.

I use it without scaling, but I assume it would help, as would not using high resolution - that said as someone mentioned earlier it gets really blurry on lower resolutions which makes the cockpit interfaces hard to make out.

I could definitely get it to 90 stable but I prefer the eye candy.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 1, 2022

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SCheeseman posted:

It's based on v1 SteamVR tracking tech, which is less accurate than v2 and incompatible with the newer base stations, so you're stuck with a maximum of 2 per tracked space.

That's actually not true; The Cosmos Elite Lighthouse faceplate does actually support V2 Lighthouses, but it ships with the original V1 Vive Wands so they've gotta ship it with V1 Lighthouses.

Which is completely stupid when HTC made V2 Vive Wands.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Unlucky7 posted:

for a long time the wisdom was don't get ripped off for more storage space but I think with the rapidly ballooning sizes of games I would go for the 256GB if I was buying now

I'm really struggling with the 64GB right now, especially because to install a game you actually need double the required space available

the base model is now 128GB but I have a feeling that's going to start feeling pretty tight as more large games come out

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's actually not true; The Cosmos Elite Lighthouse faceplate does actually support V2 Lighthouses, but it ships with the original V1 Vive Wands so they've gotta ship it with V1 Lighthouses.

Which is completely stupid when HTC made V2 Vive Wands.

Correction noted! Still kind of dumb that they'd mix and match like that.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Unlucky7 posted:

Ymmv but I've never even come close to filling up the 64gb. Esp if you end up playing PCVR which is stored on your PC.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SCheeseman posted:

Correction noted! Still kind of dumb that they'd mix and match like that.

My guess has been it's because the V1 Wands are cheaper, and HTC thought it'd be a way to save money or something given the HMD's price.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Sorry another dumb question but how does the Quest 2 connect to a PC? The OP says by USB or Wifi but I am just seeing the USB on the site.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Unlucky7 posted:

Sorry another dumb question but how does the Quest 2 connect to a PC? The OP says by USB or Wifi but I am just seeing the USB on the site.

Quest 2 can do either USB or Wifi

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My guess has been it's because the V1 Wands are cheaper, and HTC thought it'd be a way to save money or something given the HMD's price.

I think it's because they had a warehouse full of them gathering dust

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tip posted:

I think it's because they had a warehouse full of them gathering dust

Yeah, that wouldn't surprise me either. Ditto on the lighthouses.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Cool Dad posted:

On the DAS are the earphones supposed to sit on your ears like regular headphones do? Mine do not and I'm not sure how to fix it.

Yes, they’re supposed to rest on top of your ears. There’s a detent on the base of the arm the headphones ride on that “clicks” into place. Unfortunately out of the factory they tensioned it too loosely. Just peel the side portions of the rear cushion to reveal a set of screws. The middle of a set of three is what you want to tighten a little to make the detent more pronounced to help it stay locked in place.

https://youtu.be/QQJoD7KAy9w

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

explosivo posted:

Quest 2 can do either USB or Wifi

Does Wifi work well? I tried using a wifi connection with my Steam Link (remember those?) way back when and it wasn't that good.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Unlucky7 posted:

Does Wifi work well? I tried using a wifi connection with my Steam Link (remember those?) way back when and it wasn't that good.

Works well, there is a bit of caveat of having a capable AC/AX (now called Wifi 5 and 6 respectively) router and best experience when you’re able to dedicate it to the headset.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Unlucky7 posted:

I had the exact same reservations as you going into it because I also tried using a steam link and it sucked rear end but the wifi PCVR on the quest 2 is nothing short of sorcery. You need optimal conditions; not even necessarily a *good* router, but a 5ghz router hard wired to your PC.

They added the wifi thing like a year after the quest 2 launched, which is why you don't always see it mentioned in documentation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Unlucky7 posted:

I'm using Remote Desktop with airlink via wifi, once its initially connected theoretically you can take a headset to anywhere with a wifi connection to play games on your home PC. It's the same reason as one of the posters mentioned about 128GB not being a big limitation on the device, since all you need installed on the Quest is Remote Desktop and then your PC hosts all the other games you want to play. Steam VR is pretty good as well.