Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It's a New Year and nothing bad has happened. Yet.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

In case it doesn't get linked by OP before the lock comes down like what happens every month; This here is a link to the February thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3992479&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

It's the first day of Tet today btw
Happy Lunar New Year!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hrmph. Not impressed so far.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

2020 season 3

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
The previous two years have had incredible first weeks.

Just sayin’.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Unsupported claim. Citation needed.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
My mom just called.

My aunt died this morning.

gently caress 2022.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Debatable

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Duzzy Funlop posted:

My aunt died this morning.

Mein Beileid.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
From the December thread:

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Dude, this bullshit was my early and mid twenties. I worked with every tier of every level of JSOC. It’s all been written about elsewhere, but I know my poo poo when it comes to those idiots in SEAL Team 6. Or the regiment. It was a 3 star capture and kill command. All else was secondary or tertiary. Capture and Kill were the marching orders.

Also, not to correct you but only the regimental recon company is Tier 1 for the Rangers.

The tiers are just stupid readiness and money things like you said. But the RRC Rangers will quickly correct you about their tier if you are ever privileged enough to work with them.

For me the biggest LOL is how well the USAF has obscured its JSOC involvement. It’s loving huge. I can never remember what’s classified and what’s not so I go 100% classified even though I know that’s not what it is. My point being, lotta Air Power gets ate up by JSOC.
Is it true that a gently caress ton of Delta's knowledge, skills, and abilities were passed on through formal and informal trainings to the Rangers, and that over the course of the last 20 years, the Rangers went from being the airfield seizure guys that sometimes did MOUT, to an almost Tier-1 level equivalent when it comes to city fighting, CQB, capture/kill missions?

I've heard and read that in Iraq and elsewhere the Rangers mostly pulled outer / perimiter security for Delta, DevGru, white SEAL teams, and white SF and Green Beret CIF teams, and were the go-to QRF for JSOC, but that they also conducted high profile missions all on their own without Delta backup because Delta passed along its knowledge to its little brother organization.

Reading ans listening to podcasts about this poo poo is the closest I'll ever get to it, but it's fascinating and interesting to me.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Platystemon posted:

The previous two years have had incredible first weeks.

Just sayin’.

We can't beat Trump nearly starting a war like in 2020, right?

...right?

oh god I originally wrote 2019 and thought it had been last year that that happened but nooooope the last two years have been all hell of action-packed

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Disagree.
I woke up to discover that it's actually 2022 and the past few years plus my entire military career weren't just a bad dream. So same bad thing that happens to me every new year.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

I apparently drug my knuckles across the ice on my windshield as I was scraping it this morning and didn’t realize I was bleeding all over myself until I got to work this morning. So there’s that.

And I also have to work the overnight shift tonight because the guy that originally had it got covid.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Man, I hope that’s true for me but I’m still waiting for local government to clear me to find out if my house that appears to have escaped fires has also escaped exploding pipes from the 0 degree weather out here.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Hope your house is okay. Videos I saw yesterday had water spraying up from foundations. If your water is even still on, I'd be worried more about tonight.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Bored As gently caress posted:

Is it true that a gently caress ton of Delta's knowledge, skills, and abilities were passed on through formal and informal trainings to the Rangers, and that over the course of the last 20 years, the Rangers went from being the airfield seizure guys that sometimes did MOUT, to an almost Tier-1 level equivalent when it comes to city fighting, CQB, capture/kill missions?

I've heard and read that in Iraq and elsewhere the Rangers mostly pulled outer / perimiter security for Delta, DevGru, white SEAL teams, and white SF and Green Beret CIF teams, and were the go-to QRF for JSOC, but that they also conducted high profile missions all on their own without Delta backup because Delta passed along its knowledge to its little brother organization.

Reading ans listening to podcasts about this poo poo is the closest I'll ever get to it, but it's fascinating and interesting to me.

If this is remotely true then it doesn't speak well to Delta's skills lmao. Rangers are light infantry who spend some time in one of the Ranger battalions and spend most of their time in the regular Army doing regular Army poo poo. My last year in the Army my brigade leadership got packed full of rangers (Ranger CO, XO and CSM) and it was easily the worst command climate of the 3 brigade command teams I worked under. Rangers also filled out a lot of the battalion leadership and various staff positions. As long as you have a ranger scroll on your right sleeve then you are untouchable and never have to worry about being held accountable for your actions, mountains will be moved to protect you. Everything must be done with 110% effort at all times, HOOAH!

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Bored As gently caress posted:

A lot of Delta comes from Regiment. Those guys will go back to the rangers if they burn out or can’t keep up for what ever reason. That’s how a lot of the knowledge gets shared.

Rangers do sometimes pull security because they are still organized as a light infantry force with all the firepower associated. SF, Seals, and Marsoc are much smaller elements, so when it comes down to a fight, Rangers have a lot more they can leverage. This also works against them if those other elements need support.

There was a good show on History channel (and later YouTube) called Warfighters that talked about SOF missions with interviews with various service members. More than 1/2 we’re about regiment doing missions solo.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

He really is too good for this world.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
FAKE NEW YEAR DEMANDING RECOUNT OF ALL CALENDARS

HOW MANY DAYS DID GREGORIANS MAIL IN WHERE ARE THE LOST DAYS

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Mustang posted:

If this is remotely true then it doesn't speak well to Delta's skills lmao. Rangers are light infantry who spend some time in one of the Ranger battalions and spend most of their time in the regular Army doing regular Army poo poo. My last year in the Army my brigade leadership got packed full of rangers (Ranger CO, XO and CSM) and it was easily the worst command climate of the 3 brigade command teams I worked under. Rangers also filled out a lot of the battalion leadership and various staff positions. As long as you have a ranger scroll on your right sleeve then you are untouchable and never have to worry about being held accountable for your actions, mountains will be moved to protect you. Everything must be done with 110% effort at all times, HOOAH!

Definitely recommend the book Ranger Games for a look at ranger leadership and culture and how it led to a group of them deciding to rob a bank. Somehow years of training never covered “cover your license plate to avoid being instantly caught.”

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
They're paid to think in the heat of the moment, not before or after.

E: the 7 Ps don't apply to them. Proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Definitely recommend the book Ranger Games for a look at ranger leadership and culture and how it led to a group of them deciding to rob a bank. Somehow years of training never covered “cover your license plate to avoid being instantly caught.”

Hahahahahaha

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/Marina_Sirtis/status/1477226926263750656?t=vPdGK9MJG3pQ_P8wWn8xqA&s=19

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Crab Dad posted:

Hrmph. Not impressed so far.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I like this particular story because it's from my posts own local Ranger BN and it's where most of my BDE's rangers came from.

Read an excerpt, looks like a good book. It's interesting that the author was living in Seattle while his cousin robbed a bank in Tacoma so his descriptions of locations are all places I'm very familiar with.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Can't wait for the new entertainment and food options that will be developed this year!

https://twitter.com/HumanoidHistory/status/1477205875794268160?t=V5qwfjEbrH5AudpORdIjXQ&s=19

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

Can't wait for the new entertainment and food options that will be developed this year!

https://twitter.com/HumanoidHistory/status/1477205875794268160?t=V5qwfjEbrH5AudpORdIjXQ&s=19

I'm always a little disappointed how many people only know it from that dumb snl skit and don't realize it's a movie, let alone a book.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I liked the sequel clear and present ranger

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

facialimpediment posted:

"It's people! Soylent Green is people!!!" :gonk:

"That's right! Soylent Green *is* people! 40% *more* people than our leading competitor!" :capitalism:

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Midjack posted:

I'm always a little disappointed how many people only know it from that dumb snl skit and don't realize it's a movie, let alone a book.

Fun fact: the same author who wrote the book Soylent Green was based on also wrote the book that the Jet Li move the One is based on.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

habituallyred posted:

Fun fact: the same author who wrote the book Soylent Green was based on also wrote the book that the Jet Li move the One is based on.

Ha that is pretty wild

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

habituallyred posted:

Oh wow, I didn't know that at all!

Edit: what's the book? I'm not super familiar with Harrison's work and google is letting me down a bit here.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 1, 2022

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

habituallyred posted:

Which Harry Harrison book are you referring to (not Make Room, Make Room, I know that one)?

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Mustang posted:

My only tangential experience with this is a few years old, from 2013 when I was assigned to CJSOTF-A. Emphatically not SF, I was just there to fix their comm poo poo. My direct supervisor was a (SF and tabbed Ranger) 3rd Group MSG. He was prior Marine Force Recon before switching branches in the '90s. Been killing dudes since the '80s. He and all his SF team guys haaaaated working with Rangers. They preferred working with the local SEALS of Team 4, which is damning in its own way. Thought the Rangers needed way too much adult supervision to do anything useful. That was the going opinion of standard SF soldiers. Maybe the Rangers have stepped up since then, but I'm guessing that secondhand stories aren't enough to turn people into Delta Force 2.0

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Welcome to 22

https://twitter.com/stephen_streat/status/1477353641447022596?t=ESQ91D7ZHn4B_JlJwwFdcg&s=19

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Probably going to be Pi, Rho, or Sigma. My money's on Sigma because it probably has the least linguistic issues.

Pi definitely fits best because it feels like we've come around full circle. :smith:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Probably going to be Pi, Rho, or Sigma. My money's on Sigma because it probably has the least linguistic issues.

Also going with Sigma, you get the best memes too.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Waiting with bated breath for the Ligma variant

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arc Light posted:

Waiting with bated breath for the Ligma variant

That or they finally go through enough variants that they have to use Xi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Pi definitely fits best because it feels like we've come around full circle. :smith:

It would be a great setup for headlines about "irrational fears" of the new variant.