Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Yeah I'm just saying of all the antagonist characters to stick around for the whole back half, it's the worst one. Except maybe that dorky doctor who kind of looked like mark hamill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Tbh I've assumed that Marco isn't gonna survive past next episode, and the show's gonna make the final confrontation between the Rock crew and Filip, a sort of post-climax kinda deal. Though it really doesn't feel like the show has enough time to play anything out on a particularly big canvas, at this point, so maybe not.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Bezos is gonna troll the poo poo out of us by having the gatebuilders wipe out the Sol System 5 minutes into the next episode, and then 95% of episode 5 is just shots of space, and all of episode 6 is cancelled.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I won't complain anymore if the next episode has Marco giving a big speech and, halfway through, a PDC round rips through the ship and explodes his head. Not even one fired at them. Just a random bullet that's been going around the sun for years, decades even. Random one in a million shot that intersects with his head, and the crew are left to figure out what that means for them.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

kazmeyer posted:

I just have to say if you don't follow Keon Alexander on Twitter you really ought to. He's spent the past few weeks flirting (in character) with the actresses who play his opponents on the show, taunting Holden by putting him in fake ads (Holden looking grim during the space battle - Imodium, "Where Will You Be When the Diarrhea Comes Back") and he sent Ty a humongous rock for Christmas.

I think he'd been friends with Cara Gee and Dominique Tipper before joining the cast

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

General Battuta posted:

One thing I miss from the books is the Belter Spreadsheet People sitting down with Marcos and laying out exactly what a bad idea it was to destroy the one genuine home-grown stable human biosphere in the universe.

I need to see this

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Cojawfee posted:

I won't complain anymore if the next episode has Marco giving a big speech and, halfway through, a PDC round rips through the ship and explodes his head. Not even one fired at them. Just a random bullet that's been going around the sun for years, decades even. Random one in a million shot that intersects with his head, and the crew are left to figure out what that means for them.

Sir Isaac Newton as ever being the baddest mother in the valley

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

For anyone unable to see the bonus for episode 4 we learn that Jules Pierre Mao died in prison of natural causes

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The biggest failing of this show is that Marco isn't sympathetic at all. On paper his plight should be totally relatable and cause some sort of conflicted feelings, but I just want to see him erased because both him and his idiot son suck.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

veni veni veni posted:

The biggest failing of this show is that Marco isn't sympathetic at all. On paper his plight should be totally relatable and cause some sort of conflicted feelings, but I just want to see him erased because both him and his idiot son suck.

A great point. I felt for the belters originally, especially early on in the series with Dawes and Millers interactions. Ashford was also great. But as you say, Marco is a big dumb idiot and idgaf about his plight anymore.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

A great point. I felt for the belters originally, especially early on in the series with Dawes and Millers interactions. Ashford was also great. But as you say, Marco is a big dumb idiot and idgaf about his plight anymore.

I still have sympathy for the rest of the Belters. Mostly the renegades like Drummer and Ashford 2.0, but I also kinda like the Belters that have thrown their lot in with Marco and are slowly starting to realise what that means.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

Marco never really had a plight. Not like Diogo's uncle. Not like the people abandoned to die on Eros and Ganymede.

That said Marco is not *wrong* about the fact belters would be doomed harder than ever by the ring gates. No need to even give them scraps of food and water to get minerals and ice when there are thousands of planets and moons to get it from easier than asteroids and comets. But his methods are short sighted in the extreme to say the least. It's all very self serving.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 1, 2022

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

veni veni veni posted:

Marco isn't meant to be sympathetic, he's just a Charismatic arsehole who makes the big speeches and makes the big promises, but has no interest or idea about how to deliver but will resort to impulsive shock and awe tactics to distract his subjects from his failings and on to "the enemy", an enemy that only he defines and gets to change on a whim.

"Kill the inners" became "It's OK if we abandon, gut and pillage Ceres, those Belters aren't *real* Belters like us!" real quick.

He's every American President or British Prime Minister from the last 30 years, and his only "plight" is making sure he's got a big comfortable bed stuffed with money.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Without having read the books, seems like a nice way of resolving the Ceres situation would be for Drummer to take the supplies back, and the inners turn control of Ceres over to her.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Wanna see Chrissie react to Drummers "go die mad" speech.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
Thought this was a nice, if far too short, interview with Cara Gee and Keon Alexander that touches on the similarities and differences in the characters.
https://www.syfy.com/syfy-wire/cara-gee-and-keon-alexander-on-the-expanse-s6

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I disagree with Gee that Marco is justified in a lot of ways, categorically, but then on the show they haven't pointed out hey man most of our food and live soil for the belt actually came from Earth and Mars, we're kinda hosed here too Mr Inaros. And I kind of doubt that will be happening at this point, it'd be pointless, so I don't consider it a spoiler.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Nail Rat posted:

I disagree with Gee that Marco is justified in a lot of ways, categorically, but then on the show they haven't pointed out hey man most of our food and live soil for the belt actually came from Earth and Mars, we're kinda hosed here too Mr Inaros. And I kind of doubt that will be happening at this point, it'd be pointless, so I don't consider it a spoiler.

They actually did bring this up, in Season 5. One of Drummer's crew members/fuckbuddies points it out to Marco and he replies that he's got a 5-year-plan from some nerd where only some belters starve.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/18/opinion/the-macroeconomics-of-the-expanse.html

quote:

Earth appears to be suffering from mass technological unemployment. Half the population is unemployed and living on Basic, which apparently consists of in-kind provision of housing, food, and other necessities. (Kind of like a global version of Trump’s idea of replacing food stamps with food boxes.)

But are robots really the problem? For the first three seasons, Mars stands in stark contrast. It’s a mobilized, full-employment society where everyone is working either on supporting a military strong enough to stand up to Earth or on the long-term goal of terraforming the planet, making it suitable for humans.

Over the course of Season Three, however, the cold war was (mostly) resolved, while the protomolecule (don’t ask) seemed to have opened access to hundreds of habitable planets, making terraforming Mars seem pointless. And in Season Four, Martian society is in deep trouble. Unemployment is rife thanks to the winding down of both military spending and terraforming, with some ex-military Martians who can’t find jobs turning to crime.

So, my question: If Earth has mass unemployment because robots can do stuff, making human workers unnecessary, what were all those fully employed Martians doing?

In fact, the emergence of high unemployment on Mars after demobilization and the end of terraforming makes it seem as if the real problem wasn’t technology, it was secular stagnation — a situation in which private spending is consistently too weak to employ the economy’s resources, except during unsustainable asset or debt bubbles. Japan has been suffering from secular stagnation since the 1990s; a number of economists, myself included, believe that the whole advanced world now has much the same problem.

What’s the solution to secular stagnation? The answer, according to people like Larry Summers, is a big increase in public spending on infrastructure: roads, bridges, ports, and, if you happen to live on a planet without breathable air, terraforming.

The point is that when you’re in a secular stagnation economy, virtue is vice, prudence is folly, and good news can be bad. Even wasteful government spending can be a helpful stimulus. Before the outbreak of peace, Mars was a healthy society because it had a grand project; when that grand project became unnecessary, instead of freeing up resources to do other things, things got much worse.

So The Expanse is basically a show about the need for higher public investment. Well, and also monsters, alien technology, and space Mormons.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled 21st-century doom and gloom.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

Wow that article succs harder than Nancy Regan

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire posted:

Logically, if it were bullshit it would be pulled out of a bull's rear end

Well you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up there, but...

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I'm enjoying the season but knowing there are only 2 episodes left I feel like it's going to be super unsatisfying.

Assuming they don't leave things on a cliff hanger, presumably the alien dog thing will revive the child and that will be it. The weird ships and ring transits will both need to be revealed and resolved in just two episodes.

It certainly doesn't feel like it's rushing things, but given the short season.. maybe it should?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Haha krugman still reliving the glory days of his 1978 paper, "The Theory of Interstellar Trade"

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
what happened to lucky earther :ohdear:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

moonmazed posted:

Don't worry, he is living his best life on a farm on Ganymede.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

moonmazed posted:

I think the interview was taken after poo poo blew up and then calmed down, the background of the interview looks more hosed up then when we first saw Lucky Earther and the guy

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Why don't earthers just keep building roads and mining coal on a polluted cesspool of a planet with 30 billion people hmmm

Edit:

Pretty sure we see the guy helping wounded so I would imagine Lucky Earther is fine.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
This show is loving amazing but I can't believe we had Filip spin his wheels AGAIN. Though weirdly the X-Ray bit for this episode juxtaposes with it effectively, first one where I feel like it should have been part of the episode.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
This season has been mega disappointing to me. The characters and factions are more-or-less where we left them at the end of last season. We already know that Filip is conflicted and didn't need 4 more episodes of it. Drummer had already broken away by then too. The political conflict over Ceres is cool and Laconia is interesting because at least it's something new but there hasn't been much that wasn't already established by the end of S5.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Gaspy Conana posted:

This season has been mega disappointing to me. The characters and factions are more-or-less where we left them at the end of last season. We already know that Filip is conflicted and didn't need 4 more episodes of it. Drummer had already broken away by then too. The political conflict over Ceres is cool and Laconia is interesting because at least it's something new but there hasn't been much that wasn't already established by the end of S5.

I was pretty hype for this episode too with how the last one ended because I figured something would have to actually happen now

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Dude lost an arm

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Dude lost an arm

Yeah but they showed him hooked up to the medical snowglobe later so it's no big

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
I really get the feeling this show isnt actually ending so much as taking a sensible hiatus and this Laconia stuff is setting up a sequel series they'll do in a few years.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Finally caught up on the episode, to the surprise of nobody, Drummer is still the coolest person on the show and the one who gets poo poo done. Blasting the solar system with a,"You ain't poo poo!" news report aimed at Marcos ruled.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I often low-grade rant about shows casting actors who look nothing alike but play blood relatives. I really appreciate that the actor playing Filip looks like he absolutely could be Naomi and Marco's kid.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I often low-grade rant about shows casting actors who look nothing alike but play blood relatives. I really appreciate that the actor playing Filip looks like he absolutely could be Naomi and Marco's kid.

he was straight-up channeling marco during his speech at the end of the ep, too. really good.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

he was straight-up channeling marco during his speech at the end of the ep, too. really good.

Both him and the guy that plays Marco are straight up excellent which makes how little movement their characters have gotten even more frustrating.

Jerusalem posted:

Finally caught up on the episode, to the surprise of nobody, Drummer is still the coolest person on the show and the one who gets poo poo done. Blasting the solar system with a,"You ain't poo poo!" news report aimed at Marcos ruled.

:hellyeah:

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Kesper North posted:

Haha krugman still reliving the glory days of his 1978 paper, "The Theory of Interstellar Trade"

No you see, The Matrix is really about how automation is killing America.

Jerusalem posted:

Avasarala has barely done anything this season, and Drummer is making up for it. :shobon:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
The best ending for this show is a reversion to monarchy practices, and Drummer marries Avarsala to consolidate power through the solar system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 22 days!)

Feels super weird that we only have two episodes left. How are they gonna wrap things up in a way that is satisfying?