Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It could always be worse!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

As a Nintendo lover and NTDOY bag holder, I have no idea why the company that exists solely to print gobs of money is down so hard.

Especially when they're the only game in town because I'm one of eight people who actually owns a PS5.

e: the insane profits are priced in

Pokémon go short that stock

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Ooops, I thought market was closed today.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Congrats to Cathie for achieving a return of -24.1% on her ARKK ETF in a year that the S&P500 gained 26.9% and QQQ gained 28.6%. Absolute legend.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Vox Nihili posted:

Congrats to Cathie for achieving a return of -24.1% on her ARKK ETF in a year that the S&P500 gained 26.9% and QQQ gained 28.6%. Absolute legend.

This is why I don't check my Roth IRA.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I got 31.71% I my IRA this year :smug: let's not talk about the 0.22% my larger long term got. (it was long term + gambling hybrid port at the start of year) I may have made a terrible mistake early in the year. I split my "long term" port in the summer and got the gambling part to 10% profit over the July deposit, that feels in line.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

Ha, actually just read an article that says ARKK investors, on average, did even worse than the total returns would suggest, due to bad timing: https://www.morningstar.com/articles/1071658/ark-innovation-an-object-lesson-in-how-not-to-invest

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

I have initiated phase one of my Roth IRA yolo, and moved it all to money markets. I have called the top, you heard it here first, now to wait for the crash and figure out step 2.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

FateFree posted:

I have initiated phase one of my Roth IRA yolo, and moved it all to money markets. I have called the top, you heard it here first, now to wait for the crash and figure out step 2.

And so it was confirmed that we would see another 69 ATHs by June

drk
Jan 16, 2005

FateFree posted:

I see from your earlier post this month you are looking to turn $30k -> $1M in 10 years.

Your opening move is a money market account with 0.01% yields? If you're so sure of this crash, why not go into some triple inverse ETF or something

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Vox Nihili posted:

And so it was confirmed that we would see another 69 ATHs by June

*looks at ytd chart*

*draws straight line*

My technical analysis sees a trend

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

so do people still not understand what a recall is, because this is just Tesla deciding to fix trunk latches on a bunch of their cars... all major auto manufacturers issue recalls all the time.

like it's not good news, but I keep seeing people think "recall" means "buy back the car and crush it" or something

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Jumped into individual stocks around January of 2021 with all the meme stocks. Realized my big fault is always waiting too long thinking things will just continue to get bigger…which might have happened like twice. Oh I also really believe in the gamblers fallacy.

Played with options, got hosed on options, lost $700 of gambling money thru Robinhood.

It’s fitting that I won a free year of YNAB today…I’ll go back to my Roth IRA and 401k.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Lost about a thousand bucks betting the market would fail a few times this year. Made many several thousands just buying FAANGs. Lesson?

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

drk posted:

I see from your earlier post this month you are looking to turn $30k -> $1M in 10 years.

Your opening move is a money market account with 0.01% yields? If you're so sure of this crash, why not go into some triple inverse ETF or something

I am sure of absolutely nothing!

drk
Jan 16, 2005

FateFree posted:

I am sure of absolutely nothing!

You're the perfect index investor! Really though, dont leave money in a money market right now.

Its the worst kind of bet, a bet that is guaranteed to lose money in real terms. Personally, the most conservative thing I'd invest in is a short term bond fund or something. Negligible yields (1% or so right now), but thats two orders of magnitude more than a money market, and should be very very low risk (a bad year you might lose 1 or 2%).

drk fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 1, 2022

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

drk posted:

You're the perfect index investor! Really though, dont leave money in a money market right now.

Its the worst kind of bet, a bet that is guaranteed to lose money in real terms. Personally, the most conservative thing I'd invest in is a short term bond fund or something. Negligible yields (1% or so right now), but thats two orders of magnitude more than a money market, and should be very very low risk (a bad year you might lose 1 or 2%).

money market vs short-term bonds, total return, past 6 months:

short-term bonds are in pain due to the fed beginning a hiking cycle. they are also guaranteed to lose money in real terms (if not TIPS), but might also lose money in nominal terms, too!

drk
Jan 16, 2005
2021 was the sort of bad year I am talking about, but cherry picking the past 6 months makes it look worse because the market priced in two rate hikes that haven't happened yet during that time.

I guess my point was, if you cant even bother to take on the low risk of such a boring fund, you probably dont have the stomach for investing.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

drk posted:

2021 was the sort of bad year I am talking about, but cherry picking the past 6 months makes it look worse because the market priced in two rate hikes that haven't happened yet during that time.

I guess my point was, if you cant even bother to take on the low risk of such a boring fund, you probably dont have the stomach for investing.

well, I agree with your point about needing to be able to take risk. I just wanted to note that bonds have not been great for the past year and there's a REALLY good chance that doesn't change in 2022.

Here's a 1-year chart since you objected to the 6-month chart. Every duration of vanguard bond funds is down in total return for 2021:
https://stockcharts.com/freecharts/perf.php?BND,BSV,BIV,BLV&n=252&O=011000

also, I think that you should compare the return in basis points instead of the 2-orders of magnitude multiple, more or less dividing by zero. that sort of comparison is basically chamath math:
https://twitter.com/smargach/status/1368388290970329094?s=20

overall, if you're not gonna be in something interesting right now, there's no real benefit to unhedged short term bonds vs. money market

this fact is also illustrated by the $1.9 trillion dollar uptake in the fed reverse repo facility by money market funds to get 5 bps overnight instead of holding treasury bills

drk
Jan 16, 2005

pmchem posted:

also, I think that you should compare the return in basis points instead of the 2-orders of magnitude multiple, more or less dividing by zero. that sort of comparison is basically chamath math:

This is a fair point. BSV is currently yielding 95 basis points more than Vanguard's VMRXX (yield 1 bp). In absolute terms, that isnt that much, but its not nothing.

Anyways, this was a dumb derail. I have some BSV in my emergency fund and I've been happy with how its done for the purpose. Pretty much no one under retirement age should be holding that or money market funds in an IRA. Someone looking for 30x returns in 10 years really shouldnt be.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Oh my god taxes are insane what morons did we vote into office (most recently)

I'm selling some stocks from 30 years ago that are about 95% capital gains and figured I'd split it up over three tax years by selling a third each today, Monday, and a year from now

I briefly get to hold onto some money but then the good state of Oregon and the demon cracker rear end nation we live in are helping themselves to 48.8%

drk
Jan 16, 2005
The top federal capital gains rate is 20%, plus a little more if you are ultra high income.

What weird situation is taking you to 48.8%?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I think my marginal tax rate on my long term cap gains this year is 33%. Considering my requirements were, 'have assets' and nothing else, I'll take that

poo poo costs money. Maybe we don't need to spend $1T on planes though.

Short term cap gains are something like 46%.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/kylascan/status/1476999553513631744

2021 markets year in review. Happy new year.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

drk posted:

The top federal capital gains rate is 20%, plus a little more if you are ultra high income.

What weird situation is taking you to 48.8%?

the situation where I read the table wrong, of course!!

Oregon taxes my capital gains as income and I forgot that kindly, generous Uncle Sam is only taking 20%

drk
Jan 16, 2005
That 20% rate only kicks in after roughly $500k of annual income, which is a good problem to have. Otherwise, 15%

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

drk posted:

That 20% rate only kicks in after roughly $500k of annual income, which is a good problem to have. Otherwise, 15%

Well I believe GGGC had an $8 million house sale this year

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Oh my god taxes are insane what morons did we vote into office (most recently)

I'm selling some stocks from 30 years ago that are about 95% capital gains and figured I'd split it up over three tax years by selling a third each today, Monday, and a year from now

I briefly get to hold onto some money but then the good state of Oregon and the demon cracker rear end nation we live in are helping themselves to 48.8%

The good state of Oregon thanks you for our 2 lane highway to nowhere. It's probably near McMinnville

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Happy New Year! Let's make it a goal to underperform the S&P 500 this and every year thereafter.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

pmchem posted:

money market vs short-term bonds, total return, past 6 months:

short-term bonds are in pain due to the fed beginning a hiking cycle. they are also guaranteed to lose money in real terms (if not TIPS), but might also lose money in nominal terms, too!

To be fair, I think he meant buy actual bonds, not a bond fund with a NAV.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

To be fair, I think he meant buy actual bonds, not a bond fund with a NAV.

since he mentions BSV in a reply, I'm gonna disagree here

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Year end scorecard, looks like I made around an extra 6% on top of my regular returns by taking on extra risk through selling puts, using my invested equity as collateral in a margin account. Not too bad, got hammered a bit in the last couple months or it would have been a lot better.

This *is* factoring in some positions that I took delivery on and haven't realized the losses on yet. I usually close out the position instead of taking delivery. But on a few of these I think they got punished unfairly and are trading below where they should be, so I took the stock.

Biggest single win, selling a *shitload* of leap puts on GME at a 5 strike for a dollar each (thanks pmchem).

Biggest single loss (so far, still holding), selling way oom puts on CURV after their 2Q earnings beat and then getting stuck with the stock after they took a big one time charge in 3Q and said they were experiencing "supply chain issues" and a "challenging environment". Can't believe I'm holding a bunch of equity in a large lady lingerie company, but their forward PE is 9 (if that one time charge is really one time), and supply chain issues seem way overblown.

This sort of trading seems to fit my style, just grinding it out. Selling insurance when I think its overvalued.

Obviously since the Fed started pumping money into the economy this strategy has worked out pretty well. We'll see how I do this year!

Baddog fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 1, 2022

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Queued up my back door Roth + HSA transfers for Monday.

What wildly irresponsible equity moves should I make with $9550 or should I be boring and get FLOWX / FCAEX?

I sort of want to buy more HCP in my HSA.

E: don’t say SOFI because that’s already all over every one of my accounts at a cost basis of like $16 :smith:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

movax posted:

Queued up my back door Roth + HSA transfers for Monday.

What wildly irresponsible equity moves should I make with $9550 or should I be boring and get FLOWX / FCAEX?

I sort of want to buy more HCP in my HSA.

E: don’t say SOFI because that’s already all over every one of my accounts at a cost basis of like $16 :smith:

I need to pro-actively do a backdoor Roth at the start of the year, how are you setting that up? I have this old link but am not sure if it's a good guide:
https://www.physicianonfire.com/backdoor/

Also, let's assume that somehow all your income stops after 1 month. There's no penalty to pre-emptively doing a backdoor Roth when you end up under the cutoff, right?

Intriguing under-the-radar potential longs for 2021 that are still reasonably priced, alphabetical order, with current price and brief thoughts:

$AMKR, 24.8, semi production chain
$BBY, 101.6, price action is terrible but they just keep performing
$FOXA, 36.9, election year and boomers
$KDP, 36.9, S&P 500 addition coming
$MOS, 39.3 (getting pricey), fertilizer supercycle
$PINS, 36.4, potential acquisition and "cheap" tech
$TWTR, 43.2, it's an amazing site and @jack is no longer CEO, that's the entire thesis (price near 52w low)
$VIAC, 30.2, potential acquisition and trump base loves PlutoTV
$VSTO, 46.1 (currently long, may as well list it). ammo shortage and price hikes remain undefeated
$X, 23.8, crazy cheap p/e, steel supercycle incoming if tariffs remain largely intact

I'd be interested in anyone's comments on those stocks. have a look at their numbers.

2021 highlight: making about $3k in 30 minutes on a GME put during its most batshit crazy day

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

poisonpill posted:

Lost about a thousand bucks betting the market would fail a few times this year. Made many several thousands just buying FAANGs. Lesson?

You're due. Gamble more.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Red posted:

You're due. Gamble more.

Stock Trading Thread: You’re due. Gamble more.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

pmchem posted:

I need to pro-actively do a backdoor Roth at the start of the year, how are you setting that up? I have this old link but am not sure if it's a good guide:
https://www.physicianonfire.com/backdoor/

Also, let's assume that somehow all your income stops after 1 month. There's no penalty to pre-emptively doing a backdoor Roth when you end up under the cutoff, right?

I just transfer into my Trad IRA in Fidelity, and then transfer from that to my Roth. Whatever tax forms they generate at the end of the year, my accountant does whatever is needed and IRS seems to be happy with it. Not sure about your other question though.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

pmchem posted:

Intriguing under-the-radar potential longs for 2021 that are still reasonably priced, alphabetical order, with current price and brief thoughts:

$AMKR, 24.8, semi production chain
$BBY, 101.6, price action is terrible but they just keep performing
$FOXA, 36.9, election year and boomers
$KDP, 36.9, S&P 500 addition coming
$MOS, 39.3 (getting pricey), fertilizer supercycle
$PINS, 36.4, potential acquisition and "cheap" tech
$TWTR, 43.2, it's an amazing site and @jack is no longer CEO, that's the entire thesis (price near 52w low)
$VIAC, 30.2, potential acquisition and trump base loves PlutoTV
$VSTO, 46.1 (currently long, may as well list it). ammo shortage and price hikes remain undefeated
$X, 23.8, crazy cheap p/e, steel supercycle incoming if tariffs remain largely intact

I'd be interested in anyone's comments on those stocks. have a look at their numbers.

I like AMKR; semiconductor packaging is an under-appreciated portion of the industry. Right now, everyone is die-limited as fabs can't keep up so I don't think packaging is the limiting factor, but the demand is more-or-less coupled -- you got to have something to put your shiny new dies in.

KDP is interesting; I've had KO for years but never really thought about Keurig.

I got out of TWTR awhile ago, didn't realize how much they had gotten pummeled -- what was that about? It's back at 2015 levels -- has to be some room to run I imagine. Did the market not like @jack?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Twitter has something like 325 million active users officially

Some 25-75 million of those users are bots either like an automated earthquake monitor thing, or a traditional pump and dump user

Twitter hasn't shown any kind of growth or especially break out growth in like seven years, vs like Facebook which has been growth limited by the number of people on the planet with reliable internet access. If you read the articles everyone claims Twitter is still growing but if you look at worldwide active users they hit 300 million in 2015 and basically sat flat the last six years

Twitter also isn't considered a mass media advertising platform by anybody with more than a million dollars in advertising revenue

Twitter probably considers me an active user even though the only time I've interacted with their site was to view a badly cropped image from another thread on this site, gently caress em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

pmchem posted:

since he mentions BSV in a reply, I'm gonna disagree here

Oh. Yeah, right you are.