Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I mean, at this point it is only a new variant, there's nothing to suggest it's of interest or concern.

UMLAUT VARIANT

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Probably going to be Pi, Rho, or Sigma. My money's on Sigma because it probably has the least linguistic issues.

Pi definitely fits best because it feels like we've come around full circle. :smith:

gently caress rho squad variant

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

gently caress rho squad variant

Sigma squad supremacy

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
i will not reveal the delta sqad secret

That Works posted:

Sigma squad supremacy

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
The Omega variant will be the end of this all.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Cugel the Clever posted:

The Omega variant will be the end of this all.

The end of covid :angel:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Rho vs Wade. What rhymes with wade

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Laid!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Beta kind of.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Also going with Sigma, you get the best memes too.

Sigma balls

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Insert joke about Packers fans.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Insert joke about Packers fans.

One of my friends is a nurse and his wife is like this, she refuses to get the vaccine despite mountains of evidence proving that all of her complaints have no merit. They just had a baby together too.

I know he's worried about when their kid is old enough to get the vaccine, what will her stance be then? Personally, I don't think I could stay married to someone this dumb.

ob21
Aug 21, 2017

...Smegma sorta rhymes with Sigma? ...

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Chowdown variant when

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

I misread this as a Lol! or Lmao! and was like god drat it wasn't that funny jeez

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Midjack posted:

Oh wow, I didn't know that at all!

Edit: what's the book? I'm not super familiar with Harrison's work and google is letting me down a bit here.

My brain says that Harrison gets named in the opening credits. It also says that I read an advertisement for the book in question in the back of another science fiction book. I distinctly remember having a good laugh about it. The scene with the exploding mouse hidden in the high heels screams Harry Harrison to me.

Unfortunately google is giving me zip. The death of the movie's website and the release of a netflix series of the same name is not helping matters. The closest thing I found was a story about a prisoner going through a one way portal to a prison planet. Regrettably I will have to retract my fun fact until I either watch the movie's opening credits or find that specific science fiction book.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Mustang posted:

One of my friends is a nurse and his wife is like this, she refuses to get the vaccine despite mountains of evidence proving that all of her complaints have no merit. They just had a baby together too.

I know he's worried about when their kid is old enough to get the vaccine, what will her stance be then? Personally, I don't think I could stay married to someone this dumb.

The only appropriate advice at that point is :sever:

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Stayed payed weighed flayed made

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Mustang posted:

Man I’m sorry your friend had a kid with someone that dumb.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1477633330074075144
:smith:

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

For what it's worth:

https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/1477662691741380609?t=kNn5t94kDJVUXfN0LypkBw&s=19

PR is still in the "hey, hospital's starting to fill" phase when drat near everyone else has their hospitals stuffed. What's wild is that with Florida and PR now surging like crazy, Omicron might've made COVID a lot less seasonal than we thought.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:bisonyes::yayclod:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Hey great I go to PR in a couple weeks.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

That Works posted:

Hey great I go to PR in a couple weeks.

Yeah same was planned here

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
MGT Twitter suspension is good but that means how much while these psychos who aided a coup attempt continue to get a loving pass?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

maffew buildings posted:

MGT Twitter suspension is good but that means how much while these psychos who aided a coup attempt continue to get a loving pass?

I think its "a good thing," but its ultimately a drop in a bucket. It feels like Twitter just throwing out a bone.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What was the post that broke the camel's back

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

What was the post that broke the camel's back

5th strike and you're out evidently. So you can run around fomenting dissent and spreading misinformation for 2-3 years without much issue if you're an elected official. Trump got away with 5-6 years of real bad stuff and another 4-5 before that of more mild antivaxx bullshit etc.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Milo and POTUS posted:

I liked the sequel clear and present ranger

Lol

For Ranger Games I was worried at first that because the author is related to one of the bank robbers it would turn out the events were somehow benign but he was inflating them as it was a family member, or that he would downplay his cousin’s involvement. nope and he eventually realizes his family member was not under the impression it was a secret mission but knew what he was doing. also crazy how the ringleader already faced jail time for the robbery then started trying to put out a hit on the prosecution, which courts don’t like.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Extremely wholesome current event resulting in a scholarship to medical school.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That Works posted:

5th strike and you're out evidently. So you can run around fomenting dissent and spreading misinformation for 2-3 years without much issue if you're an elected official. Trump got away with 5-6 years of real bad stuff and another 4-5 before that of more mild antivaxx bullshit etc.

Good, don't want to set the standard that virulent anti-semitism is enough of a reason to boot someone quickly

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Midjack posted:

I'm always a little disappointed how many people only know it from that dumb snl skit and don't realize it's a movie, let alone a book.

Make Room! Make Room! is my go-to example for a book improved by making it into a movie.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Madurai posted:

Make Room! Make Room! is my go-to example for a book improved by making it into a movie.

Oh yeah I liked the story too, I hadn’t read a lot of sci fi and it was interesting to think about how a society relying on people choosing to die almost only by choice would mean very few chose to do so.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Per news outlets MTG officially got the boot for COVID misinformation posts, so don't worry being an anti-semite is still fair game.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

facialimpediment posted:

For what it's worth:

We have to see what happens in the upcoming weeks. Also im planning to go to Puerto Rico next month and I may have to cancel it for the third year in a row.

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

Good start to 2022! My dad went to the hospital due to breathing issues. Luckily it looks like he'll be fine, negative COVID test and he's on oxygen and is feeling better than the he has in a while. Looks like his old blood clot issue is flaring up again. Everything looks OK and he sounds great, so that's good. But you guys will probably understand why my anxiety went through the roof as I'm 1200 miles away and can't do a drat thing. Mom and dad were both vaccinated and he doesn't really go anywhere but still, he couldn't get into his preferred hospital because it was full. Thanks, anti-vax morons. My mom's friend is quitting her 17/hour pharmacy tech job (with really good benefits) so she won't have to get the vaccine, despite getting lucky with COVID just last week and not, ya know, dying. Just a bad head cold, this time.

I come from small town America, the same place that gets talked about lately and it's really, really depressing to see people that I know and like play up stupid GQP talking points and then, smugly, say "Let's Go Brandon". They ain't funny. They're loving morons. I want to print out some of this crap, fold it, dip it in olive oil and shove it up their rear end. My parents are pretty sane mostly because I explain poo poo to them and why it's wrong/bad/political. I love my little hometown but I am not going to lie. I'm glad I escaped.

Hell the mayor died in the week before Christmas and a facebook post about it turned into morons writing "Let's Go Brandon" and a few people telling them how stupid they sounded, so there's some sanity left. And yes, the mayor died of COVID.

All this poo poo it so exhausting. The poo poo the GOP spills is having real, actual impact on medical services and all these chuds care about are stupid catchphrases and owning the mythical "libs".

On a happy note, I bought my kid a Switch LIte for Christmas and she's already paid Tom Nooks loan off. And she doesn't want more debt so she's collecting bugs or whatever to buy new furniture. Goddamn Animal Crossing is the best Finance 101 thing ever designed.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Ligma Variant

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

ElMaligno posted:

We have to see what happens in the upcoming weeks. Also im planning to go to Puerto Rico next month and I may have to cancel it for the third year in a row.

Omicron tends to peak pretty hard and fast, so it might be knocked out by then. Puerto Rico's also really high-vaccinated, so it might pass through them quick, like San Francisco. Since you're leaving the mainland and can't exactly drive back if you catch it while there though, you might want to emergency plan for an extra week there if you do want to go.

A similar thing is going on for the Olympics - the NHL flat pulled out of the Olympics because of potential quarantine/isolation periods mandated by China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

It may just be crotchety take but I don't like pros playing at the Olympics