Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

The quest has messenger but I'm not sure if it'll pop up a notification if you're in an app or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Weren't they working on a 'push notification from connected Android devices' type thing at some point?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

m.hache posted:

Is it possible to push gchat messages to the headset? I realized when I'm "plugged in" I can't hear my wife upstairs and if she's messaging me it won't come through. Maybe even Facebook Messenger?

FB Messenger is already integrated. You could try to sideload Gmail android app to have gchat messages.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

explosivo posted:

Weren't they working on a 'push notification from connected Android devices' type thing at some point?

The feature exists and you can set it up in the phone app, but I've no idea how well it works because VR is for escaping reality, damnit, why would you want your phone notifications in it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Has anyone successfully side loaded discord to jump in discord voice rooms yet?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Turin Turambar posted:

FB Messenger is already integrated. You could try to sideload Gmail android app to have gchat messages.

Sweet, I'll have to test this out.

My biggest concern is one of the kids wake up and I'm out there smacking golf balls and the wife is trying to juggle both of them.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I finally started playing Alyx and I'm gonna loving cry.

This poo poo is so good and legit scary sometimes.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I don't properly want to get too into the games until I get my lense inserts, but I do want to get some games before the steam sale closes.

RIght now I want to get Walkabout Mini Golf and the combo pack of I Expect You To Die and Until You Fall on Steam. Any other good cheap deals?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I finished a 200 pieces puzzle in Puzzling Places and man, I’m happy I didn’t pick the 400 pieces version.

Oculus contacted me regarding the elite strap, it seems I have a to send them/rma the broken one. Pity, I wanted to use it (it's still holding up with generous electric tape) while the new one ships.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

lunar detritus posted:

Sidequest can be used to stream your view wirelessly to a PC. (Or you can do it manually using adb and scrcpy, which is what sidequest does)

You can stream your Q2 view to a PC on the same local network using the built-in stream option.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Streaming Quest 2 to a browser and then streaming the browser through Discord worked surprisingly well.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Only 13€ for Eleven Table Tennis
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/1995434190525828

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm really curious what the next generation of wireless XR sets will be.

While I got the G2 smoothed out, I can't help but pine for a Quest 2 for all of its versatility.

Hopefully a non-Meta company will make an honest competitor soon.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
I just got the quest discount code, I own nothing from the quest store. What’s a good game to show off vr to family?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Zosologist posted:

I just got the quest discount code, I own nothing from the quest store. What’s a good game to show off vr to family?

The most efficient would be to use the discount into an expensive game, instead of a cheap game, as it's a flat % discount. So... RE4?

edit: apart from that, I did a post with my recommended games here
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3901021&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=802#post520215970

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 2, 2022

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Zosologist posted:

Walkabout Mini Golf and Eleven Table Tennis are both super accessible and lots of fun. They feel like what people wanted Wii games to feel like.

RE4 is great, albeit much easier in VR than on screen.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

I'm really curious what the next generation of wireless XR sets will be.

While I got the G2 smoothed out, I can't help but pine for a Quest 2 for all of its versatility.

Hopefully a non-Meta company will make an honest competitor soon.

Right now it's tempting to say Meta is doing it great... then you remember that they literally have no competition (no serious competition I mean) in the market. No one else is trying it. It's easy to be the winner when there is only one participant, I guess.
So things will continue like now until someone big (I mean, big, like Samsung, Google, Apple, Amazon, Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo; not Valve) chooses to go for the same market.

My wishlist for a Quest 3 would be
- 15º fov more
-30% more play time (battery)
-better comfort overall (less weight, more balanced, etc)

I'm trying to be realistic here, otherwise I would ask for +35º fov and +100% battery. I wonder if the Quest Pro will improve these things, as the leaks seem to indicate better optics and better screen, but nothing about what I ask.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I have a vague memory of someone posting a while ago about a game that's in the Quest store and also on PCVR, but the PCVR branch had been mostly abandoned and Quest version was still being updated. Anybody remember offhand what that was/are there many in that category, or is crossbuy the only thing to watch out for to push me towards Quest store?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

There's fairly reliable rumours that Apple have an XR headset ready to go at this point but are holding back on announcing it until they can do in-person events again. Though the first generation of it is basically going to be a devkit and not really intended for the public. Samsung seem to have been scared off the VR market for now, Microsoft are happy selling Hololens to the military, Google lost interest after Daydream, Sony haven't shown anything officially of PSVR2 though we know it's coming so that seems to be the one actual hope right now for a Quest competitor if they decide to make it standalone with the option of connecting it to a PS5 ala Oculus Link.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Irony.or.Death posted:

I have a vague memory of someone posting a while ago about a game that's in the Quest store and also on PCVR, but the PCVR branch had been mostly abandoned and Quest version was still being updated. Anybody remember offhand what that was/are there many in that category, or is crossbuy the only thing to watch out for to push me towards Quest store?

In Death? That's a bow and arrow rogue like with a quest version that's made by a different developer and has lots of bonus stuff over the PC version.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Irony.or.Death posted:

I think that was InDeath / InDeath Unchained, and well, it's literally the only one like that that I know of. It happens the mobile version was done by a different company, that's why the pc version is abandoned.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Tip posted:

In Death? That's a bow and arrow rogue like with a quest version that's made by a different developer and has lots of bonus stuff over the PC version.

Ah poo poo really? I just bought that on the Steam sale, guess I could refund it

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

njsykora posted:

Google lost interest after Daydream

Google is back at it. They even hired people from Facebok/Meta.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

MikusR posted:

It might be too much to ask but I'd really like a great product from a company that isn't harvesting every grain of data they can get, with or without my permission.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Please Nintendo I am begging you for the Virtual Boy 2

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

MikusR posted:

Can't wait for them to release a headset then drop support for it a year later when they lose interest again.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

It might be too much to ask but I'd really like a great product from a company that isn't harvesting every grain of data they can get, with or without my permission.

fingers crossed for whatever Steam does after the Steam Deck

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Played some more Blade & Sorcery with the Star Wars mods, and I discovered the "Emperor's Request" wave. As soon as I read the description I knew exactly what I was about to get into, but nothing could've prepared me for the hilarity. Tiny "youngling" Jedis with proportionately tiny lightsabers, jumping and scooting around the map, little hands and limbs flying off, one of them stumbling and tripping over another, one jumped off a staircase over my head... insanity.

I guess I would've felt the littlest bit bad if they actually looked like kids instead of just scaled-down B&S stock characters. I even picked up and wielded their Playskool lightsabers.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Lemming posted:

Please Nintendo I am begging you for the Virtual Boy 2

Virtual Man

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I was playing I Expect You To Die when the Air Link cut out. It did this a couple of times now. I did have RE4VR downloading in the background so I am hoping it was just that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

njsykora posted:

Can't wait for them to release a headset then drop support for it a year later when they lose interest again.

Introducing the google daydream 2!!!!!!! It will release in 2023 and be discontinued in 2022

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

If it means Google Earth VR get continued support, let them. I’d kill for a Quest port.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

overload loving rules actually! I got it for the sale and it's drat appealing and gives me that bite sized tie fighter feeling. Rolling and tumbling into a circle strafe around an enemy and boosting away down a corridor is just good VR poo poo. If you like that sort of thing I recommend it 100% for the sale price

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is Demeo one of those games where you need to have actual friends to play with?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

njsykora posted:

There's fairly reliable rumours that Apple have an XR headset ready to go at this point but are holding back on announcing it until they can do in-person events again. Though the first generation of it is basically going to be a devkit and not really intended for the public.

The reason for that is Apple's headset is likely to be AR rather than VR, and you can't really push a device intended for going outside to see the world better when everyone's trying to stay safe at home in an ongoing pandemic.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Unlucky7 posted:

Or at least people willing to pretend for a couple hours

There’s a single player skirmish mode but it’s not as good because a big part of the game is that shared experience and teamwork.

forest spirit posted:

overload loving rules actually! I got it for the sale and it's drat appealing and gives me that bite sized tie fighter feeling. Rolling and tumbling into a circle strafe around an enemy and boosting away down a corridor is just good VR poo poo. If you like that sort of thing I recommend it 100% for the sale price

I assume it supports HOSAS? I grabbed it on sale but haven’t tried it yet, but I got twin sticks just waiting to wreck this thing.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Warbird posted:

If it means Google Earth VR get continued support, let them. I’d kill for a Quest port.

I wish they would just open source it like Tilt Brush.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Unlucky7 posted:

I think there's Drop in/Drop out random play.

I just did my first session with a 2 man party. Died to the last boss but it was fun.

One thing is moving the table around gave me a real headache. Not sure if it's a framerate thing or if it's something I can tweak. It was weird because it was just moving a physical object around in front of me. Even the zoom in made my eyes hurt.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

m.hache posted:

I think there's Drop in/Drop out random play.

I just did my first session with a 2 man party. Died to the last boss but it was fun.

One thing is moving the table around gave me a real headache. Not sure if it's a framerate thing or if it's something I can tweak. It was weird because it was just moving a physical object around in front of me. Even the zoom in made my eyes hurt.

I think it supports 90hz so I recommend turning that on under experimental features. Also press up on the joystick to tilt the table and save yourself some neck strain. There are multiple levels of tilt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Wheezle posted:

I wish they would just open source it like Tilt Brush.

Zero chance of that I’m afraid. Too deeply tied with GE and its data to ever go OSS. Best chance we have is for someone to do something with OpenStreetMap as MCS licenses map data for BingMaps and it’s doubtful they could wrangle it for a similar experience. That said there is Flight Simulator so who even knows.