Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

mystes posted:

Doesn't windows also have desktop icons off by default now? Or are they still on?

i don't think even microsoft would make such a blatantly user hostile step backwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Rufus Ping posted:

Press Winkey -> start typing to search programs, files, contacts, web results, etc

Or click the file browser in your dock (you installed dashtodock right??), and it shows your stuff

This is the correct answer. Icons on the desktop? LMFAO. Why yes, I too like having to move windows out of the way to double click on an icon vs. hitting the WinKey, typing one to two letters, and hitting enter.

Just because Windows search is awful doesn't mean every OS has terrible search.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 2, 2022

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I've tried KDE a bunch of times but it's always turned me off in one way or another. It's just clunky. I'm sure functionally it's fine but I don't want to deal with its aesthetic jank.

GNOME has a particular set of usage patterns in mind and they work for me. KDE doesn't have any particular usage patterns in mind and can be bastardized into doing whatever. Both have a valid place in the world.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Antigravitas posted:

Cool: No tearing, ever, anywhere, while being more responsive than Xorg at the same time. It feels like the whole desktop has a few frames fewer latency. That's almost worth it tbh. since it's much snappier than Windows and I hate hate hate hate unresponsive desktop systems.

What's your GPU? I tried Wayland with Nvidia when the "better" drivers landed in Fedora 35 and it still behaved noticeably slower than X, so I rolled back.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
lol that linux users deal with tearing in this year 2022

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

NihilCredo posted:

What's your GPU? I tried Wayland with Nvidia when the "better" drivers landed in Fedora 35 and it still behaved noticeably slower than X, so I rolled back.

I'm a masochist, but not masochist enough to use Nvidia.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Mr. Crow posted:

I feel like everyone complaining about the Linux desktop has only ever used gnome, try KDE its genuinely better than what your used to (windows).

I wish distros would stop using gnome its such a user hostile dog turd

even comes with an orb to ponder

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

plasma 4 looked so awful

mystes
May 31, 2006

Progressive JPEG posted:

even comes with an orb to ponder

I don't think that's what kde looks like anymore thankfully?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

mystes posted:

the orb is now a spare clock

but that said i'll probably give kde a shot because gnome continues to be clunky as h*ck and cargo culted windows may be better at this point

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I think you'll find that, actually, Windows cargo cults from Plasma nowadays. And I wish they'd copy more, because I still have to use Windows for work sometimes and it annoys the hell out of me.

e: Like, using the file manager to open basically any protocol that could be used that way. sftp, my phone, local files, files on an smb share. Or pausing/resuming video running in my browser with normal media keys, or pausing music if i get a call on my phone, drag&dropping applications onto the sound card I want them to use, or adjusting the sound volume by hovering over the volume icon and perusing my mouse wheel.

Just dozens of tiny things.

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 2, 2022

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Antigravitas posted:

I think you'll find that, actually, Windows cargo cults from Plasma nowadays. And I wish they'd copy more, because I still have to use Windows for work sometimes and it annoys the hell out of me.

lmao no one at microsoft has even heard of plasma

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
I think the amateur hour of KDE is having built-in apps that all start with k.

Are they trying to copy Mac OS which for a time had like iTunes and iPhoto?

In KDE, it’s all kedit and kcalculator and kbrowser and kwallet and kpants… just nonsense.

Sometimes I still think about the desktop environment or window manager that has a separate application to change the desktop background, and that someone exists who would “suits my needs” about that dumb rear end functionality in 2022 is nonsense.

Aka there is no good Linux desktop. Get a Mac or if you can’t afford it get Windows. Happy New Year!

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Sapozhnik posted:

I've tried KDE a bunch of times but it's always turned me off in one way or another. It's just clunky. I'm sure functionally it's fine but I don't want to deal with its aesthetic jank.

GNOME has a particular set of usage patterns in mind and they work for me. KDE doesn't have any particular usage patterns in mind and can be bastardized into doing whatever. Both have a valid place in the world.

If your experience is plasma 4 or early plasma 5 then sure, it was super buggy and/or hideous iirc. I've been using KDE in earnest since F30? Now and its been solid and genuinely the best desktop experience, as compared to any other Linux desktop, modern windows (lol if you put up with advertisements on your desktop) or mac.

I think the only hangup people might have about it these days is the corny K*something* apps it comes with. Its silly but easy to get over unless you're extremely OCD and a silver lining is its easy to tell which apps are part of the desktop. Most of them are actually pretty decent, which is surprising for a Linux DE.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I still get irrationally angry when I have to use my windows box and try and winkey search and it pops up a loving bing or app store result, even when you exactly type the application.

I've started reverting back to desktop shortcuts :suicide:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Progressive JPEG posted:

the orb is now a spare clock

but that said i'll probably give kde a shot because gnome continues to be clunky as h*ck and cargo culted windows may be better at this point

this poo poo is one of the biggest problems with the linux desktop space: applications and desktop environments create a user interface and then pop!_os and ubuntu and elementary drop their trou and poo poo all over said ui because ~*branding*~. so there is no consistent expectation for how an application developed for the platform will actually look on a user's desktop because there is no such thing as "the gnome platform", there is "the ubuntu platform" and "the pop!_os" platform and so on.

and there is no play store certification to withhold from distros that gently caress with the ui so there is zero leverage to prevent them from doing it.

system76 even went so far as to launch a deliberate disinformation campaign against gnome after the gnome project attempted to put some architectural measures in place to prevent them from doing this poo poo.

https://blogs.gnome.org/tbernard/2018/10/15/restyling-apps-at-scale/

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Sapozhnik posted:

this poo poo is one of the biggest problems with the linux desktop space: applications and desktop environments create a user interface and then pop!_os and ubuntu and elementary drop their trou and poo poo all over said ui because ~*branding*~. so there is no consistent expectation for how an application developed for the platform will actually look on a user's desktop because there is no such thing as "the gnome platform", there is "the ubuntu platform" and "the pop!_os" platform and so on.

and there is no play store certification to withhold from distros that gently caress with the ui so there is zero leverage to prevent them from doing it.

system76 even went so far as to launch a deliberate disinformation campaign against gnome after the gnome project attempted to put some architectural measures in place to prevent them from doing this poo poo.

https://blogs.gnome.org/tbernard/2018/10/15/restyling-apps-at-scale/

Its just a gnome problem op

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i quoted a screenshot of kde above, same thing: those icons are not the upstream default kde icons afaik and the ui also appears to have been restyled

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Mr. Crow posted:

I still get irrationally angry when I have to use my windows box and try and winkey search and it pops up a loving bing or app store result, even when you exactly type the application.

I've started reverting back to desktop shortcuts :suicide:

Yeah, I don't understand why they changed it since it only serves to annoy the users, half the programs in the start menu doesn't show up when you search for them.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Sapozhnik posted:

i quoted a screenshot of kde above, same thing: those icons are not the upstream default kde icons afaik and the ui also appears to have been restyled

That's a good thing? It all looks consistent and is easy to do on KDE, I thought you were arguing that it was a) difficult b) not something the DE wants to support and c) frequently inconsistent. All of which is true, for gnome.

But your arguing against being able to customize your desktop? :raise:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

RocketLunatic posted:

Aka there is no good Linux desktop. Get a Mac or if you can’t afford it get Windows. Happy New Year!

this was good advice in 2010 but a lot has changed in 12 years

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

to be clear i just picked the first image result for kde on ddg. i have no idea what stock kde actually looks like, since the last time i had seen kde, it looked like the kde4 screenshot

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.

Progressive JPEG posted:

I’m still looking. I’ll contend that things have improved but still so many weird issues and incomplete projects. I’ve most recently tried Solus which looks nice but even it has like multiple distros which add to the confusion. Elementary OS is pretty good and makes some solid decisions. It’s probably the best of the options out there. KDE and Gnome are just boring and forgettable over Mac OS or Windows.

One of my great let downs of all time in the Linux world is the poor choice between Abi Word and LibreOffice. Both are ugly, slow, cluttered, and lame. They often clash with desktop environment theming. Google invented an online, limited office solution that has surpassed their usage in zero time. That should be a indictment of the entire open source process but instead people are like “it’s good enough”.

But that’s enough of my ranting. I’ll go back to using amazing software on my Mac like Final Cut Pro and Craft and Ecamm Live. Some day Linux will get there.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Abiword and Google office are garbage. Use libreoffice or use the online version of Microsoft office.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

found two things in favor of kde:
- the first couple hundred ddg image results for "kde" don't have any anime wallpapers, a sign of a healthy community
- i gotta assume that having "system tray" as the second highlight on the main feature list is specifically a dig at gnome lol

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Progressive JPEG posted:

the only thing that has improved on the linux desktop since 2010 is electron being a thing. not trolling even, linux on the desktop was largely fine in 2010 (just doesn't offer "regular" users much, and you need to offer something to really make headway), but i really can't think of a single way its improved other than some key software now just shipping a copy of chrome to run their poo poo.

mystes
May 31, 2006

As someone who uses i3 but is not a luddite, I like that less gnome/kde stuff seems to be mad at you if you don't run the full desktop environment now.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Lipstick Apathy

Silver Alicorn posted:

lol that linux users deal with tearing in this year 2022

that's just dumb users, i use freesync because freesync monitors are super cheap these days lol

this blogpost is a pile of horseshit. if i load a theme, i expect all my apps to conform to the theme. this has been a basic feature of basically every OS until windows vista/7, where they slowly started dropping support for random poo poo

thankfully "night mode" or whatever the gently caress is a big fad now, so a bunch of apps started applying themes correctly again, but on linux it still just works (outside gnome apparently lmao)

Truga fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 3, 2022

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Sapozhnik posted:

if you want icons all over your desktop like some sort of cave dwelling animal then kde will accommodate you

also i have no idea what this "two settings applications" thing for gnome is about, do you mean gnome tweaks?

three if you count extensions. four if you count the extensions browser extension and five if you count the browser as a dependency for installing extensions. you’re not really an “idea guy,” are you?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

mystes posted:

kde 4 looked like what you would get if you told a teenager who hasn't seen the sun in months with a warezed copy of photoshop to make a ui. the breeze theme in kde 5 is actually quite nice. i should try it again now that they seem to have put some real effort into removing the jank

still, gnome works for me. fairly minimal, has convenient keyboard shortcuts for everything, and at this point everything is muscle memory

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Red Hat should have just gone with the standard and licensed Motif and CDE to distribute with Linux

now that IBM owns Linux, they should just make Motif with CDE the default again and stop bothering with the other crap

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Glad to see all the KDE love. Even plasma 4 wasn't so bad once you had a good choice of user created themes.

https://store.kde.org/browse?cat=104&ord=latest

take a look at what your linux desktop could look like.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I tried writing a document a few years ago with abiword and it crashed and I lost several hours of work (although it only took a half hour to recreate, and it was probably better written the 2nd time).

Also, formatting is all over the place and it's a pain to figure out what it's actually thinking when I need to style things.

Don't use abiword. Libreoffice isn't great but at least it's dependable.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Don't use abiword. Last version I tried had a nasty crash on save bug. Just use libreoffice. I've been helping my wife with some docs, and she uses msoffice, and we haven't noticed any compatibility issues.

KDE is very nice provided you want a full featured desktop and you have a normal computer. Like, I don't know about running it on a raspberry pi.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I think the last time I used abiword it was on a system than had 1.2gb of ram. I don't think I could have firefox and libreoffice open at the same time without swapping.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the only thing that has improved on the linux desktop since 2010 is electron being a thing. not trolling even, linux on the desktop was largely fine in 2010 (just doesn't offer "regular" users much, and you need to offer something to really make headway), but i really can't think of a single way its improved other than some key software now just shipping a copy of chrome to run their poo poo.

it's more that the alternatives have steadily regressed

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Progressive JPEG posted:

it's more that the alternatives have steadily regressed

windows and macos could have stopped development ten years ago apart from bug fixes and nobody would have cared. we'd be using windows 7 and lion and it would be basically the same thing as what we've got with windows 11 and monterey

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I liked KDE 3 with the Keramik window decorations and bright icons. fire up amaroK and had a good night with some Tux racer and armagetron, that’s the peak Linux experience right there.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Most of the changes to windows have been about leveraging the desktop to force you into other products and services. WIndows 8/Metro was a lame attempt to get people used to using windows mobile. Windows 10 was about cloud services integration (and undoing metro). From the outside windows 11 looks like a favor to microsoft's hardware partners.

The "desktop environment" is a fully fleshed out concept. Kinda like a house - all you can really do is change the paint at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Last Chance posted:

I liked KDE 3 with the Keramik window decorations and bright icons. fire up amaroK and had a good night with some Tux racer and armagetron, that’s the peak Linux experience right there.

Probably insecure as all get-out, but have you seen trinity KDE?