Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PIZZA.BAT)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

infernal machines posted:

the biggest problem everyone had with it was the software sucked rear end, which stands to reason, it being an android device

yep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

infernal machines posted:

the biggest problem everyone had with it was the software sucked rear end, which stands to reason, it being an android device

oh yeah, by all accounts absolutely irredeemable garbage even taking into account it being android. a shame, i was kind of expecting microsoft to do some weird wsl-style hybrid, which also likely would have struggled to be good, but would have *also* been kind of interesting

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
windows mobile with an android emulation layer would only work so far as you'd have to either use goog services which would suck or emulate goog services which would cause other problems.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

imagine setting your resolution to anything less than the maximum possible

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

imagine calling resolution "screen area"?!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

usually thats only achievable at 60Hz, and gently caress that flickery garbage

maximum at 85Hz, now we're talking

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lol index color sucked

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
remember when we all tried slackware and it let us do 1280x1024 on a 14" at 50hz interlaced and we thought it was cool for nine minutes until our eyes started bleeding like we were in a 90s scifi horror film

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

gently caress yeah gonna play some Simcity 2000

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Bluemillion posted:

gently caress yeah gonna play some Simcity 2000
there are much, much worse ways to spend the first sunday of 2022

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

mobby_6kl posted:

Then Microsoft has a phone just for you!

the only thing wrong with this is it's made by microsoft and runs android

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
i remember buying a uhd monitor for my mbp but it didn’t support that kind of bandwidth, so the internet’s solution was to force it to run at 24hz.

my solution instead was to return it

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

i used to have a 17 inch iiyama crt that went up to 1600x1200 but practically speaking you couldn't go much higher than 1024x768 for everyday windows use

it was all right for various 3d games tho

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i had a trinitron that would work at the 1152x864 at 75hz which was a fine compromise for me for years in the 1999 to early-mid 2000s? range that i kept that thing

i specificially remember both the figures on it because 1280x would bump it to like 65hz or something that was undealwithable

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

i had an NEC crt that if i ran it at 1280x1024 instead of 1024x768 it loving screamed at me, it may have been something wrong with it or it may just have been the aforementioned 60hz vs 80 or 85 or whatever the lower res ran at

for a very short whole after i got my first lcd i had buyers remorse for getting something that could only run 60hz but since it turned out fine in the long run, i assume that was refresh rate trauma

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
they didn't really do a good job describing how the refresh rates of LCDs worked completely different than CRTs since there weren't "scan lines" per-se anymore.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
what does that mean? i have noticed movies and poo poo being really annoyingly frame-y in my old age and thought it was just my old eyes somehow but maybe the transition to LEDs is what i'm noticing

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Corla Plankun posted:

what does that mean? i have noticed movies and poo poo being really annoyingly frame-y in my old age and thought it was just my old eyes somehow but maybe the transition to LEDs is what i'm noticing

a CRT monitor, like a tube television, draws the image by magnetically directing an energy beam at the screen in horizontal lines very rapidly, then going line to line vertically slightly-less-rapidly.

it's called scan lines, and the refresh rate is how many scans you get of howevermany lines per second.

at low refresh rates, like 60 or less, you can see it flickering as the whole screen gets bright and dark each scan

an LCD displays the entire image at once, with no scanning involved. the refresh rate is how often it updates the status of the pixels. they don't flicker unless there's something else very wrong.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I have a 19" Soyo LCD monitor that I won in 2005. For a while I also had with it a 22" ViewSonic CRT. 1280x1024 with 1360x1024. Also figured out a registry hack to get Windows XP at 168dpi.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i was using the original 14" CRT on the 486 for a while but switched it to an old viewsonic 4:3 LCD after i was getting headaches. much better, had forgotten how uncomfortable CRTs were after a couple hours

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

speaking of headaches, anybody remember dlp projectors? did they ever stop making those? god they were such loving trash

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Progressive JPEG posted:

speaking of headaches, anybody remember dlp projectors? did they ever stop making those? god they were such loving trash

for front projectors they’re still the best game in town

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

dlp is a really cool thing in concept. all those micro mirrors flipping around dozens of times per second.

in practice i can see the rainbow every time and man is that annoying.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
more than dozens, DLPs vary pixel brightness by rapidly toggling on and off for the duration of the frame display. the ratio of on time to off time is how bright it's perceived

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Corla Plankun posted:

maybe your tv still has motion interpolation on, which you should turn off immediately

its like the one thing all of yospos can agree on

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Progressive JPEG posted:

good DLP projectors are very good, and it’s still basically the defacto standard since laser projectors are expensive as heck yet

most people get a bad taste for DLP projectors because their experience with them is limited to the garbage Dell or similar projectors that their work uses that are only ever designed to display static PowerPoints and nothing else. “business” projectors are trash, through and through.

an actual media projector built to display movies, TV and games is going to be an entirely different experience, assuming it’s built by a big name and isn’t one of those wish.com specials with a single overdriven led powering it.

if you want to talk trash projectors go to your local big box store like target and look at the wide selection of $50-ish projectors they have. literally all of them are a medium sized LED COB shining through a standard def LCD screen and into a plastic lens. people buy these things thinking they’re going to get a $1000+ projector experience and holy lol is it bad

e: look at this lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiprcXje51c

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jan 3, 2022

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

NoneMoreNegative posted:

cya later Shitlords

hell yeah jet jaguar

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

fun projector story: a few years back I was looking for a projector for my basement, because I was tired of the aforementioned business projector I was using at the time with its garbage contrast, blurry motion and “1080i capability” (really 1080i or P, downscaled to 1280x800, approximating 720p).

I was surfing Facebook marketplace at work, as one does and I spotted a really nice projector for sale for $35. the ad said “works, want it gone today”, so thinking it was a total scam, I messaged the seller just to see.

to my surprise she replied back almost instantly and had more pictures of it and answered my questions. she also lived very near to my work so I popped out over lunch to meet her. we met, I inspected the projector, and all seemed well.

however, I couldn’t help myself, so I said “I have to ask, why are you selling this for $35, that’s a really good price”

she goes “my husband cheated on me, I’m leaving him and I’m throwing out everything in his man cave and getting his poo poo out of my house, I want this thing gone”.

so that’s the story of how I got my projector. shout out to that scummy dude who bought a nice projector and then banged someone who wasn’t his wife.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

fun projector story: a few years back I was looking for a projector for my basement, because I was tired of the aforementioned business projector I was using at the time with its garbage contrast, blurry motion and “1080i capability” (really 1080i or P, downscaled to 1280x800, approximating 720p).

I was surfing Facebook marketplace at work, as one does and I spotted a really nice projector for sale for $35. the ad said “works, want it gone today”, so thinking it was a total scam, I messaged the seller just to see.

to my surprise she replied back almost instantly and had more pictures of it and answered my questions. she also lived very near to my work so I popped out over lunch to meet her. we met, I inspected the projector, and all seemed well.

however, I couldn’t help myself, so I said “I have to ask, why are you selling this for $35, that’s a really good price”

she goes “my husband cheated on me, I’m leaving him and I’m throwing out everything in his man cave and getting his poo poo out of my house, I want this thing gone”.

so that’s the story of how I got my projector. shout out to that scummy dude who bought a nice projector and then banged someone who wasn’t his wife.

so you asked, 'what else is for sale' next, right?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

good DLP projectors are very good, and it’s still basically the defacto standard since laser projectors are expensive as heck yet

most people get a bad taste for DLP projectors because their experience with them is limited to the garbage Dell or similar projectors that their work uses that are only ever designed to display static PowerPoints and nothing else. “business” projectors are trash, through and through.

an actual media projector built to display movies, TV and games is going to be an entirely different experience, assuming it’s built by a big name and isn’t one of those wish.com specials with a single overdriven led powering it.

if you want to talk trash projectors go to your local big box store like target and look at the wide selection of $50-ish projectors they have. literally all of them are a medium sized LED COB shining through a standard def LCD screen and into a plastic lens. people buy these things thinking they’re going to get a $1000+ projector experience and holy lol is it bad

e: look at this lol

https://youtu.be/iiprcXje51c

up until like 2018 my dad still had a 1080p rear projection DLP TV that he bought for like $7k in 2004 much to my mother's dismay at the time (she divorced him a few years later; he kept the DLP, which was one part of a great bargain on his part all other things in that divorce considered). eventually it developed a yellow circular-ish spot that would have required spending four thou on a new esoteric part and so instead he spent three thou a brand new fancy-rear end 4K OLED TV

we smashed the poo poo out of that busted rear end DLP TV because it weighed like 800 pounds and had many great smashable parts

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is this like that Porsche story/joke?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

mystes posted:

Is this like that Porsche story/joke?

I dont know? But its a true story

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I dont know? But its a true story
A man in California saw an ad in the paper for an “almost new” Porsche, in excellent condition – price $50. He was certain the printers had made a typographical error, but even at $5,000 it would have been a bargain, so he hurried to the address to look at the car.

A nice-looking woman appeared at the front door. Yes, she had placed the ad. The price was indeed $50. “The car,” she said, “is in the garage. Come and look at it.”

The fellow was overwhelmed. It was a beautiful Porsche and, as the ad promised, “nearly new.” He asked if he could drive the car around the block. The woman said, “Of course,” and went with him. The Porsche drove like a dream. The young man peeled off $50 and handed it over, somewhat sheepishly. The woman gave him the necessary papers, and the car was his.

Finally, the new owner couldn’t stand it any longer. He had to know why the woman would sell the Porsche at such a ridiculously low price. Her reply was simple: With a half-smile on her face, she said, “My husband ran off with his secretary a few days ago and left a note instructing me to sell the car and the house, and send him the money.”

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lol, weirdly similar but I didn't get the gist she was going to send him the money.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

same but an app for adults who eat glue (this app)

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Xenos_RIFS/status/1477682111553228802

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

wait why does one of the kids not have a caved in skull

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector