Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

davecrazy posted:

I keep pricing 2021 Mach 1s on the web site. I get “x-plan” pricing from my job but of course the Mach 1 isn’t eligible.

I sold my 03 Mach 1 a few months ago. Obviously the almost 20 year difference should favor the newer model. Should I just be looking at a well optioned GT instead? They qualify for x-plan and their are more of them in the wild.
I haven't checked in recently with driving them but as of 10 years ago a GT already seemed like more car than is worth throwing at road driving and all the Mach 1 options sound very specifically like it's a track tuned GT. Are you gonna take it to a track at all? If you just want go fast at lights and on ramps a GT is gonna be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

shortspecialbus posted:

We've had 2 recommendations for F-150, what do people think of the GMC Sierra 1500, Dodge RAM 1500, etc? I heard Tundra mentioned. Is the Ridgeline any good? We seriously are not truck people and I've largely ignored them up until this point, so we don't really have a lot to fall back on aside from a general idea that usually people who bought whatever brand of truck REALLY LOVE THAT BRAND OF TRUCK and hate all other trucks, which makes it hard to get actual objective assessments.

My dad has a ~2014 Sierra 2500 and the ride and handling is rear end compared to my F-150. I think this is just it being a 2500 extended cab long bed and not GM vs Ford. Interior is nice though. He more recently acquired a 10-year-old fleet F-150 for like $500 that's a single cab short bed and hand crank window level basic and he loves it. It's no frills, easy to work on, and short so he can drive and park in the city easily and fit in places where his Sierra can't.

As for the Silverado, the honest reason I didn't consider it when truck shopping was because I really don't like what they've been doing with the grille design lately, especially with the 1500. Too weird and angry. But yeah, I get the sense that the half ton truck options are similar enough outside of looks that you can't really go wrong with any of them. Hell, my dad changes truck brand allegiance over grille design alone and he is a truck guy.

Maksimus54 posted:

I love the Tacoma as a great driving truck but in my experience it really was not cut out for towing. It's still a "midsize" and gets the same poo poo(or worse) MPG's the fullsize trucks get with lesser utility. Get an F150 like everyone else and their brother.

This is pretty much exactly why I got an F-150 over a Ranger (or Tacoma), which technically would have been more appropriate for my fairly light hauling needs, lack of anything to tow, and being in a city with no off-street parking. The mid-sized trucks didn't get significantly better gas mileage (it was like a 1-2 MPG difference), wasn't cheap enough to give it a meaningful price advantage, and wasn't small enough to give me a significant compact truck advantage for my urban location (size inflation of mid-sized trucks is a gripe of mine). The F-150 was a much better overall value.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

zedprime posted:

I haven't checked in recently with driving them but as of 10 years ago a GT already seemed like more car than is worth throwing at road driving and all the Mach 1 options sound very specifically like it's a track tuned GT. Are you gonna take it to a track at all? If you just want go fast at lights and on ramps a GT is gonna be fine.

I think the main advantage is the transmission and some of the engine bits borrowed from the discontinued GT350. I 100% don't need the optional handling package and all that.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I drove a 2008 tacoma for 8 years. The fuel efficiency was trash and I only hauled things 3 times during that period.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Queen Victorian posted:

My dad has a ~2014 Sierra 2500 and the ride and handling is rear end compared to my F-150.

Those trucks ride like rear end when they're unloaded. They're designed to have a decent load on them. Most 3/4 and 1 ton trucks drive like poo poo unloaded and is probably the most common complaint about them.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Does the new maverick factor into this conversation at all? I know it’s a ridgeline-esque unibody that can’t tow a lot but the mpg numbers seem pretty good

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

davecrazy posted:

I think the main advantage is the transmission and some of the engine bits borrowed from the discontinued GT350. I 100% don't need the optional handling package and all that.
The pointed question remains since the point of the GT350 was also track tuning. Are you gonna take it on a track?

If you haven't been in a Mustang (or similar american muscle) since your 03 I'd recommend trying to find a dealer with a GT for a test ride. May be a quest to find one - Ford is screwing around with their Mustang sales model going toward catalog ordering but I expect some dealerships may keep the higher packages on the lot as a prestige draw. I see the local dealer still has the GT and Shelby on the lot. If not I bet you could find a GT or Mach 1 through specialty car rental services.

Even the base models feel quick in the past few revisions and imo if you don't want track day performance you shouldn't pay a track day premium.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

skipdogg posted:

Those trucks ride like rear end when they're unloaded. They're designed to have a decent load on them. Most 3/4 and 1 ton trucks drive like poo poo unloaded and is probably the most common complaint about them.

That would do it. Truck was completely empty when my husband and I were driving around in it. My dad has it loaded with crap or towing something most of the time. The F-150 seems much better optimized to ride well while empty (since I guess a huge chunk of buyers don't necessarily buy F-150s for their truck-based utility). Handling feels a bit different when it's loaded, but ride quality doesn't seem to change much. My sister drove my F-150 and remarked at how smooth it was, probably because she was used to my dad's truck.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

davecrazy posted:

I keep pricing 2021 Mach 1s on the web site. I get “x-plan” pricing from my job but of course the Mach 1 isn’t eligible.

I sold my 03 Mach 1 a few months ago. Obviously the almost 20 year difference should favor the newer model. Should I just be looking at a well optioned GT instead? They qualify for x-plan and their are more of them in the wild.

Mach 1s are sexy GTs are lame.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

bird with big dick posted:

Mach 1s are sexy GTs are lame.

:agreed:

But to zedprime point, why buy a car you're only going to use a portion of the capability.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I’d just drive a beater until 2024 when maybe prices will return to normalcy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Queen Victorian posted:

That would do it. Truck was completely empty when my husband and I were driving around in it. My dad has it loaded with crap or towing something most of the time. The F-150 seems much better optimized to ride well while empty (since I guess a huge chunk of buyers don't necessarily buy F-150s for their truck-based utility). Handling feels a bit different when it's loaded, but ride quality doesn't seem to change much. My sister drove my F-150 and remarked at how smooth it was, probably because she was used to my dad's truck.

really just the difference between a half ton and a 3/4 ton, empty other brand half tons ride fine

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

really just the difference between a half ton and a 3/4 ton, empty other brand half tons ride fine

Yeah I figured as much, just didn't want to spout assumptions about trucks I hadn't driven or read up on (I've driven several 3/4 ton trucks over the years but only my F-150 in the 1/2 ton category).

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Is carvana worth buying from? The market is pretty hosed right now for the aforementioned trucks and Carvana is actually beating most of the used prices within a reasonable drive, and new inventory is scarce and hilariously overpriced for the most part.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

shortspecialbus posted:

Is carvana worth buying from? The market is pretty hosed right now for the aforementioned trucks and Carvana is actually beating most of the used prices within a reasonable drive, and new inventory is scarce and hilariously overpriced for the most part.

I bought from them this summer, relatively painless though they were very slow on the registration process and I had to follow up with them to get a second temp tag. Don't be dumb like me, get the car inspected during your return window. I rolled the dice. No issues yet, I've put about 10k miles on it.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Isn't the state of Florida suing them or something for not providing titles?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

davecrazy posted:

Isn't the state of Florida suing them or something for not providing titles?

Dunno but it took me politely implying that I would return the car for a full refund about a month after I bought it (which my state law allows) to kick them into gear to get me a title and plates

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

shortspecialbus posted:

https://www.tiktok.com/@chrisdanker...bapp=v1&lang=en

(The likelihood this happens is low, of course.)

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I don't use TikTok so it was kinda hard finding what you're talking about in that link, but I did find this which was hilarious:

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7044369758703177007

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Yeah, that’s what I was trying to link; thanks. Evidence I’m not a user, either 😃.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Long story short our 2004 Impreza wagon needs repairs that exceed the value of the vehicle. The mechanic said It should be fine to drive around town so that is what we've been doing but we're doing well enough now that we can afford a car that's not about to crap-out on us at any moment.

Proposed Budget: This is the hardest piece of the puzzle for me since we've only ever bought cheap used cars with cash, but now I make over $100k/year more than I did when I bought our last car... So I guess our max is $35k? We can probably afford more than this, but don't really want a car payment that's any higher than what we'd get with this + 20% down payment.
New or Used: Likely new. I've been reading that the used car market is hosed and we kinda want to spend the money to have something reliable for years instead of 10+ year old cars we usually have.
Body Style: 4-door for sure, and we're looking for something that has more room in the back-seat than our current car since it's pretty tight getting our 3 year old in the back.
How will you be using the car?: Neither of us commute, and getting around town means short drives, but we do take drives through the mountains or short trips on occasion.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?: Nah, the only thing we really care about is AWD or 4WD since we live in a snowy area and don't have the space to store snow tires during the summer.
What aspects are most important to you? Room in the back-seat for our kid and cargo space in the back. MPG is a consideration and hybrid would be rad but not super important. We'd get an electric car if we owned a home and could install a charger, but homes are $1-2M in our city so LOL that's not happening.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Slimy Hog posted:

Nah, the only thing we really care about is AWD or 4WD since we live in a snowy area and don't have the space to store snow tires during the summer.

*Rolls up newspaper*

No! Bad!

Tire places will store your tires for the season. If you have snow bad enough to need AWD, you NEED snow tires.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

KillHour posted:

*Rolls up newspaper*

No! Bad!

Tire places will store your tires for the season. If you have snow bad enough to need AWD, you NEED snow tires.
I'm sure I don't objectively NEED 4WD/AWD, but it's also come in handy the few times I've needed extra traction and I've never owned snow tires :shrug:.

How about you imagine my post says "Nah, the only thing we really care about is AWD or 4WD. We plan to buy snow tires".

Slimy Hog fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 3, 2022

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Are you in Canada?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

skipdogg posted:

Are you in Canada?

Colorado

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

shortspecialbus posted:

I just traded in a vehicle and bought a new one from them. Went off without a hitch, no complaints. They delivered to my house and I had 7 days to change my mind. I won't say it was perfect but it was way, way better than dealing with a dealership.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Is there anything out there that catches your eye? My general recommendation is a RAV4 or Honda CRV. You can get the top trim CRV for the top of your budget. Not sure how the space compares to your current Subaru. Another Subaru would fit the bill maybe.

Something larger than a CR-V?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Slimy Hog posted:

How about you imagine my post says "Nah, the only thing we really care about is AWD or 4WD. We plan to buy snow tires".
You'll get the same general response, AWD is for sports cars and offroading so it's anathema to the thread for a daily driver or around-town car.

CUVs are made to sell AWD and adolescent knee room so for $35k you could have your pick of a well equiped Rav 4, Honda CR-V, Mazda CX5 or Subaru Forester. Rav 4 and CRV have hybrids but if you aren't commuting the gas mileage is probably less than a wash with the price premium.

There's probably some similar dad wagons to recommend but I'm less familiar with the market. I'd expect someone to be round to recommend out of that segment if you're not into CUVs. You would also be in used minivan territory or used/basic new SUV if you want to maximize your storage and kid room.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

LuckyCat posted:

I just traded in a vehicle and bought a new one from them. Went off without a hitch, no complaints. They delivered to my house and I had 7 days to change my mind. I won't say it was perfect but it was way, way better than dealing with a dealership.
Carvana definitely gouges you a bit for the whole Online Convenience thing (guess Car Vending Machines aren't cheap) but I've sold two vehicles to them and it's been utterly painless every time.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Slimy Hog you seem like a pretty everyman car buyer so: get a rav4/crv/tucson hybrid and put crossclimate2 tires on it if you won’t do snow tires. If those are too small get a highlander/santa fe hybrid. (Actually in that case get a sienna hybrid.) Assuming you MUST have awd and care about mpg as stated, and anyway the hybrids are generally the better versions of those vehicles

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Slimy Hog posted:

I'm sure I don't objectively NEED 4WD/AWD, but it's also come in handy the few times I've needed extra traction and I've never owned snow tires :shrug:.

Snow tires are THE single most important safety feature in a car when there is snow, especially in hilly areas like, say, Colorado. Saying you don't need snow tires is like saying you don't need airbags. Did I drive in the snow with all seasons when I couldn't afford two sets of tires? Sure. But I was a part time pizza delivery guy and you threw out that you're making six figures so suck it up and buy the drat tires.

AWD does not get you better traction in any maneuver except straight line acceleration. And in a straight line, you will have better traction with a FWD car with snow tires then an AWD car with all seasons.

https://youtu.be/dhpG251vK8s

KillHour fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 3, 2022

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

zedprime posted:

There's probably some similar dad wagons to recommend but I'm less familiar with the market.

They don't really exist anymore. Especially not at a $35k-or-less new price point.

If "handling" isn't a priority and "cargo room" is, there is literally no reason to buy a compact or even midsize sedan over a compact crossover. Compact crossovers have a footprint somewhere between a compact and a midsize sedan so it's not like it's some huge behemoth to park, but sitting upright means you have way more passenger room and way more cargo room. You aren't paying a huge fuel mileage penalty and you'll still get better mileage than pretty much anything larger.

The only two regrets I have about my 2013 CR-V are a) not buying it a year sooner and b) selling it instead of sitting on it. It was a dull vehicle but one that just never loving broke.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KillHour posted:

Snow tires are THE single most important safety feature in a car when there is snow, especially in hilly areas like, say, Colorado. Saying you don't need snow tires is like saying you don't need airbags. Did I drive in the snow with all seasons when I couldn't afford two sets of tires? Sure. But I was a part time pizza delivery guy and you threw out that you're making six figures so suck it up and buy the drat tires.

AWD does not get you better traction in any maneuver except straight line acceleration. And in a straight line, you will have better traction with a FWD car with snow tires then an AWD car with all seasons.

https://youtu.be/dhpG251vK8s

What about all seasons with 3PMSF

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think Mercedes still makes an E class wagon? Pretty sure bmw makes a 3 series wagon, but I'd rather kill myself than try and use a 3 series of any kind as a family car

Very sad that bmw cancelled the us 5 series wagon when they finally put the bangle butt 5 out to pasture, the euro spec modern 5 series wagons look baller as gently caress

Even Honda cancelled their accord... Crosstrek? Toyota had the matrix (with AWD) but was discontinued around 2014

Second row on most full size SUV suck pretty bad for adults, except the suburban based models

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I almost died 2 years ago because I didn't use snow tires.

Just saying

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

What about all seasons with 3PMSF

They're the bare minimum in states that require chains if you don't have the symbol on your tires. It's like a DOT rating on a helmet.

Per TIreRack:

quote:

Testing measures a tire's acceleration traction on medium-packed snow only. Braking and turning on snow, along with ice traction are not components of the test.
Tires branded with the 3PMSF symbol are expected to provide improved snow traction beyond a standard M+S branded all-season tire.
Note: 3PMSF-branded all-season and all-terrain tires cannot match the traction of dedicated winter / snow tires in all winter weather conditions and should not be considered a replacement for where and when a dedicated winter tire is needed.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm really glad I've never had to live anywhere that I need to know anything about that topic beyond that snow tires exist

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Pretty sure bmw makes a 3 series wagon, but I'd rather kill myself than try and use a 3 series of any kind as a family car

Only in Europe because they hate us.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

KillHour posted:

Only in Europe because they hate us.

Yeah estate cars / wagons are popular at all sizes over here, for a utiliwagon I'd probably get a Skoda. There's a PHEV Octavia estate.

https://cc.skoda-auto.com/gbr/en-GB/

Useless info for OP of course :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Wagons are no longer cheap in the US. Here's what's available for 2022. List is pretty much the same as 2021 just with less Volvos:

• Audi A4 Allroad - $41k
  • Audi A6 Allroad - $67k
  • Audi RS6 Avant - $117k
  • Mercedes E-Class - $69k
  • Mercedes AMG E63 - $113k
  • Porsche Panamera Sport Turismo - $100k
  • Porsche Taycan 4 Cross Turismo - $95k
  • Volvo V60 Cross Country - $45k
  • Volvo V90 Cross Country - $56k

Subaru does not import a wagon anymore, they're all considered SUV/CUVs like the Forester.

OP, I'd go drive an Audi A4/V60 and see if they're big enough in the back. Otherwise stick with a crossover like a Rav4 or whatever else Toyota has.

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jan 3, 2022