Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
10 hours of x ray content

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The Expanse X-Ray

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

swickles posted:

The best ending for this show is a reversion to monarchy practices, and Drummer marries Avarsala to consolidate power through the solar system.

This is a weird way to do shipping.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006
Season is really getting me down. Not all bad though, last ep perked up a little bit, mostly due to Monica Stuart sticking it to Ava.

As a non-book reader, the relationship between the Laconia Martian civilian settlers/scientists and the MCRN military separatists has been really strange and doesn't make any sense to me. It seems to be a pretty professional working relationship. Which is weird, it should be more of a hostage situation. Suppose your parliament building was blown up by separatists, and rogue MCRN naval units blew up multiple UN/MCRN battleships in an ambush. The last ep seemed to indicate there has been some communication between the settlers and the Sol system, but unless they've had all their communications cut off, they seem to be utterly oblivious to the actions and motivations of the MCRN separatists. The settlers have gone an entire year with these MCRN rogue people showing up and haven't been able to figure out what is going on? They can't be allowed to communicate back to Sol, I'd think, which should raise huge red flags.

Also Inaros is really diverting from his initial plan. His protomolecule sample was intended to be a threat, he was going to use it to hold the inners inside their own atmosphere. That was a pretty important part of the plan. But he gave it to the MCRN separatists in exchange for ships and war material, with the knowledge that they were going go through the ring gates with the protomolecule. Okay, fair enough*. Marco needed the warships, and has been able to replace threat of protomolecule bombardment with continual rock bombardment on Earth (although that leaves a big question mark for Mars... how is Mars being kept under blockade? The Free Navy is powerful enough to keep Mars under lock?). But I'd expect Marco to be a little more careful with the huge potential threat on his rear flank of the MCRN separatists. He knows the MCRN separatists were using him for their own ends and are probably going to be up to something. He should have a very very healthy respect for the protomolecule from the events at Eros, Ganymede, Io, and Illus. You don't just give up a sample to some crazy fascists who are your ancestral enemy and not be a little bit curious. You monitor them and have a plan to double cross and eliminate them. Especially because all belters should have a hatred for Martians, established S1 and S2. Crazy Martians using you for their own ends wouldn't be something you would close the book on and forget about. You'd keep some serious intel going on that and probably attempt to wipe them out or sabotage them at first opportunity.

*the timing of the deal was strange though; the MCRN separatists gave Marco all the ships and stealth tech before they received the protomolecule, before Marco had even acquired it. If you were Marco it would have been tempting to be like "sorry bud, you already gave me all the ships, thanks, but I'm going to hold on to this protomolecule sample, nyuck nyuck."

The deal Marco made with the MCRN separatists in S5 seemed like an open-and-shut deal (setting up a minefield at the gate, Marco saying 'you have your system'), but in the last episode Marco seems to be being supplied with some fancy warships coming through the gate from Laconia. So there is still an MCRN separatist alliance with the Free Navy? What is the Free Navy offering the MCRN rogue faction in exchange for the ships? Or the Rogue MCRN are just using them as a buffer to keep the old Inners away from Laconia? Marco and ALL the belters should be a little more suspicious and curious of any alliance with the rogue MCRN'rs. Nothing makes a lot of sense here.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I really liked the ship flipping - there's no need to spin around and take ages to aim and poo poo when everything's using computerised targeting. Just program the movements in in and wham, it's done.

It bothered me a little bit how they didn't stop their rotational motion to make the shot. If you are spinning, and you fire a projectile down a quickly rotating barrel, it is going to affect the trajectory of the round in a pretty significant way. Plus they made a big deal of Bobby taking over the trigger, which seemed to suggest she was taking the shot manually. A manual shot under those conditions would be utterly impossible to make. It didn't need to be a continuous spin, they could have paused momentarily to take the shot. But whatever, it is fine.

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

No you see, The Matrix is really about how automation is killing America.

The Matrix is about how true revolution is impossible, you can fight a war and sacrifice yourself but there will still be slaves. A few lucky people get to be 'woke' though (that is the literal end of The Matrix Revolutions). Also it happened multiple times in history (the multiple incarnations of 'The One'). So really it is about social control and how revolution is futile.

gfarrell80 fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 2, 2022

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
The matrix is about "pretending" to be a girl on the internet until you can get estrogen pills

turtleface
May 28, 2003

I'm helping

gfarrell80 posted:

Plus they made a big deal of Bobby taking over the trigger, which seemed to suggest she was taking the shot manually. A manual shot under those conditions would be utterly impossible to make. It didn't need to be a continuous spin, they could have paused momentarily to take the shot. But whatever, it is fine.

She took over to confirm the other ship always dodged the same way and adjust the firing accordingly, not to manually aim.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

You don't get it. The Matrix was really about :
eastern philosophy
lucifernianism
plato's cave
puberty
consciousness
the meaning of life
being transgendered

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

AccountSupervisor posted:

I really get the feeling this show isnt actually ending so much as taking a sensible hiatus and this Laconia stuff is setting up a sequel series they'll do in a few years.

I'd be happy with the show coming back eventually but it would royally suck if Laconia was just some sequel setup that didn't tie into the whole series in some interesting way.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
Like The return of not-quite-Alex :rms:

(yes I know why Anvar was shitcanned)

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

*Transgender, but yes

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Hey at least we got a Michio redemption arc.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

:black101: "Live shamed, and die empty" :black101:

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

smooth jazz posted:

Hey at least we got a Michio redemption arc.

She pushed the wrong button, but she cut the hell of that arm off.

Back at the end of S5, I floated the idea that we might get a Marco redemption arc - Marco would realize the Rogue MCRN as a greater existential threat, and use the Free Navy to combat them. But Filip would turn out to be the real villain, shooting Marco for betraying the Belt.

It is a long shot baby, but could happen. Bobbie, Fred, Ashford, and Melba all had redemption arcs. Redemption for Marco baby! C'mon. Even with Filip's little mess hall rant in the last ep, I think the show is more likely to give us a Filip redemption arc than a Marco redemption arc.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

gfarrell80 posted:

She pushed the wrong button, but she cut the hell of that arm off.
She just wasn't made for deck duty. Medic/salvage crew, sounds like she should have been leading an assault team.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

gfarrell80 posted:

Also Inaros is really diverting from his initial plan. His protomolecule sample was intended to be a threat, he was going to use it to hold the inners inside their own atmosphere. That was a pretty important part of the plan.

The deal was always to turn over the sample to the separatists. But as far as the rest of the system knows, Marco has it. It's a bluff that could have worked, especially if Holden died when he was supposed to.

quote:

(although that leaves a big question mark for Mars... how is Mars being kept under blockade? The Free Navy is powerful enough to keep Mars under lock?).

The martian navy has taken a lot of hits in the series:

-A costly war with Earth in seasons 1 and 2.
-A mass exodus and general disillusionment of the population in 3-5.
-Tons of equipment being dismantled or sold off on the black market in season 4.
-The wholesale defection of 1/3rd of the Navy to go be fascists.
-Parliament getting bombed at the same time the asteroid strikes started.

I think it's a safe bet that Mars is not much of a superpower by the start of season 6.

quote:

You monitor them and have a plan to double cross and eliminate them. Especially because all belters should have a hatred for Martians, established S1 and S2. Crazy Martians using you for their own ends wouldn't be something you would close the book on and forget about. You'd keep some serious intel going on that and probably attempt to wipe them out or sabotage them at first opportunity.

Marco and ALL the belters should be a little more suspicious and curious of any alliance with the rogue MCRN'rs. Nothing makes a lot of sense here.

Marco is a narcissist, so I think he's not as suspicious of "too-good-to-be-true" situations as he should be. That just feels like the universe finally working as intended.

Everyone else is too busy with Marco to worry about the separatists. In the books at least, he does ponder his future relationship with them and conclude that his 1300 planets will obviously be able to overpower their 1 if (when) he needs to backstab them.

quote:

So there is still an MCRN separatist alliance with the Free Navy? What is the Free Navy offering the MCRN rogue faction in exchange for the ships? Or the Rogue MCRN are just using them as a buffer to keep the old Inners away from Laconia?

Yup. The longer Marco remains in power, loving everything up, the longer Laconia is left alone to do whatever it is they're doing.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
This last season is either a tantric sex or a torture.
I have not decided yet.
TWO EPISODES LEFT TO THE END OF SEASON 6 AND I FEEL LIKE I'M WATCHING SEASON 5 STILL

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Avasculous posted:

Yup. The longer Marco remains in power, loving everything up, the longer Laconia is left alone to do whatever it is they're doing.

Also the more ships get destroyed in the Sol system war, the greater the Laconian Navy becomes just by default.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Avasculous posted:

The deal was always to turn over the sample to the separatists. But as far as the rest of the system knows, Marco has it. It's a bluff that could have worked, especially if Holden died when he was supposed to.

The martian navy has taken a lot of hits in the series:

-A costly war with Earth in seasons 1 and 2.
-A mass exodus and general disillusionment of the population in 3-5.
-Tons of equipment being dismantled or sold off on the black market in season 4.
-The wholesale defection of 1/3rd of the Navy to go be fascists.
-Parliament getting bombed at the same time the asteroid strikes started.

I think it's a safe bet that Mars is not much of a superpower by the start of season 6.

Marco is a narcissist, so I think he's not as suspicious of "too-good-to-be-true" situations as he should be. That just feels like the universe finally working as intended.

Everyone else is too busy with Marco to worry about the separatists. In the books at least, he does ponder his future relationship with them and conclude that his 1300 planets will obviously be able to overpower their 1 if (when) he needs to backstab them.

You're reading a bit too much into it. S1 through S5 were somewhat tight, but it's starting to get a little vague.

We have no idea what the deal actually was. We do know the timing is that the Rogue MCRN group must have been giving Marco ships and stealth material even before Marco acquired the sample from Fred, possibly even before anybody knew the protomolecule was a thing (S1 interrogation scene). Marco and any Belter under him would be able to understand that they were being used for the separatists' purpose of striking at Earth. Ashford was too dumb to realize it when the Martian under interrogation declared "The dream of Mars is about to be writ large!" (the destruction of Earth via rocks), but Marco and the more radical belters would know the Martians weren't giving them all this stuff out of the kindness of their hearts. They got tons of stealth composite and ships before they could have even hatched the plan of stealing the protomolecule from Fred.

Despite taking a lot of hits the MCRN is possibly going to 'go it alone' in a strike on the Ring Gate/Medina Station. That shows some confidence in their abilities. In the show we have no idea what fraction of their fleet was lost in the short UN/MCR war (UN seemed to get the worst of it in the show), we have no idea how many total ships Marco got (could be as few a dozen) and how many went with the separatists (also could be as few as a dozen).

I'm just saying, Marco, a Belter, accepting help from Martian military elements, is something that could have been explored a little more in the show. It would be like ... hard to come up with an exact analogy... a colonized people getting help from a fascist breakaway group that are colonizing them. Or like Jews getting help from uber-Nazis, and then letting the uber-Nazis go set up shop in Brazil or Australia or something, but knowing that they have the potential to develop a superweapon. And then everybody not worrying about it too much.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Have we seen any mcrn ships in the free navy outside of the Pella?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

twistedmentat posted:

Have we seen any mcrn ships in the free navy outside of the Pella?

Yes, though they don't show you scenes inside them. Both of the other ships with the Pella were ex MCRN ships in episode 3 I believe.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

gfarrell80 posted:

You're reading a bit too much into it.

Dude for saying up there you were hoping for a Marco redemption arc and that it could still happen this is quite the stone to cast

Like yeah there are nuggets of truth in *some* of what he says but he's never truly given a poo poo about anyone but himself and his pride and this has been clear from the very start all the way through his hissy fits last episode and this episode

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 2, 2022

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Nail Rat posted:

Yes, though they don't show you scenes inside them. Both of the other ships with the Pella were ex MCRN ships in episode 3 I believe.

We saw the insides of one briefly as it was cored by the roci.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Robert Facepalmer posted:

She just wasn't made for deck duty. Medic/salvage crew, sounds like she should have been leading an assault team.

I think the big difference between the two situations is pretty simple for her: one involves killing people, the other involves saving someone she loves. She's clearly someone who cares about other people deeply, both personally and abstractly (like why she stayed with Drummer when the other split off), and I absolutely know people who would react just like her in those situations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The body horror in this show is really gruesome. The arm cutting this episode and Katoa disassembling that nurse in season 3 looked super realistic to me.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Erulisse posted:

This last season is either a tantric sex or a torture.
I have not decided yet.
TWO EPISODES LEFT TO THE END OF SEASON 6 AND I FEEL LIKE I'M WATCHING SEASON 5 STILL

DLC pack for season 5

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
So the x-ray content for the last episode is like 5 hrs long, right?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm thinking what if episode 6 is like 2 hours long? That could give them time to do a satisfying ending, but right now it almost feels like the season was written as if it wasn't going to be the final season.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

Dude for saying up there you were hoping for a Marco redemption arc and that it could still happen this is quite the stone to cast

Like yeah there are nuggets of truth in *some* of what he says but he's never truly given a poo poo about anyone but himself and his pride and this has been clear from the very start all the way through his hissy fits last episode and this episode

A Marco redemption arc is just my little fantasy. Its almost certainly not going to happen. The real question here is if the UN/MCR alliance has the balls to give the Belters autonomy after the resolution of the conflict, or if they just resume regular colonialism.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

twistedmentat posted:

I'm thinking what if episode 6 is like 2 hours long? That could give them time to do a satisfying ending, but right now it almost feels like the season was written as if it wasn't going to be the final season.

It will somehow only be 30 minutes long.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Cojawfee posted:

It will somehow only be 30 minutes long.

I'm afraid you might be right.

gfarrell80 posted:

A Marco redemption arc is just my little fantasy. Its almost certainly not going to happen. The real question here is if the UN/MCR alliance has the balls to give the Belters autonomy after the resolution of the conflict, or if they just resume regular colonialism.

Marco should just be domed by Drummer without hesitation and everyone will just accept her as Queen of the Belt and Crissy will go home to focus on fixing earth knowing that the Belt is in good hands.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
It’d be darkly humorous if the show just ended mid-sente

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Is Episode Length considered a spoiler? I'd swear they announced the runtimes ages ago.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

twistedmentat posted:

It's 67 minutes.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
That latest episode had a lot of good character moments that would have fit in great during a season that had some loving room for such things.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Without getting into spoilers, they're almost at the end of the book guys. They adapted book 3 into the back half of season 3 and that was 7 episodes. They've got two episodes to literally finish up the last quarter of the book, and that's plenty of time. They removed all the Anderson Dawes stuff (a single chapter) and are basically covering all the plot points of the book otherwise.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I read book 5 and after hearing everyone dog on book 6 (and seeing this season) I don’t think I’m going to read it. Is it possible to just start at book 7 and is the rest of the series worth reading? In my mind, it would have to get significantly better than book 5 to be worth reading. That book felt so stretched out and slow and the things happening just weren’t that amazing.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Blind Rasputin posted:

I read book 5 and after hearing everyone dog on book 6 (and seeing this season) I don’t think I’m going to read it. Is it possible to just start at book 7 and is the rest of the series worth reading? In my mind, it would have to get significantly better than book 5 to be worth reading. That book felt so stretched out and slow and the things happening just weren’t that amazing.

honestly, it's all downhill after book 5

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Horizon Burning posted:

honestly, it's all downhill after book 5

I don’t agree, the events of books 7-9 are pretty rad. Most book readers I know consider 8 the best, even tho I personally prefer the arc in 1-3. Definitely worth reading if you enjoy the world and characters.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Blind Rasputin posted:

I literally skipped book 6 first time through because because I got confused with the book titles. Thought 'huh that was a choice but all that was dragging so good for them for just moving on' and went with it. There were enough allusions to what happened that I didn't feel I missed much, and still didn't when I realized my mistake and went back and read it later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
The final trilogy may as well just be a long epilogue. There's some neat and fun stuff in there but it doesn't overly need to exist.