Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
office has been optional for me since it “sorta” opened up in mid november

went to a few outdoor “welcome back to the office” things and have not been in since!

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

One of the c suite guys at my wife’s company died unexpectedly over the weekend and suddenly being at the office is optional. Makes you think

hr sent an email today basically saying, we have been doing 1 day per week in office*, and given omicron that will continue for the foreseeable future

* this does not apply to new hires who need to be in more often, so they can get training, from their seniors who are not in the office :confused:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

One of the c suite guys at my wife’s company died unexpectedly over the weekend and suddenly being at the office is optional. Makes you think

lol

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
before covid, ours was an 8-hour 5-day work-in-office company, and the ceo was pretty adamant about it. you could work from home if a plumber was coming or whatever, manager discretion, but most people didn't have usual wfh days unless they negotiated that upon hiring. so far since the start of covid we haven't been more than 1 day "required" (more like requested) in office per week, targeting 2 eventually, and i haven't even heard discussions of 3 days, but i think that's as far as even our ceo will go in the current climate. i don't expect it to ever go back to 5 days

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
my boss said stay home dont come to quarterly planning, here we go again

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i'm going to the office tomorrow for my 1 day this week. i could just stay home and no one would give a poo poo, in fact my boss is on vacation, but it's the first week of the year and i want to make an appearance (also i want fried chicken from the place downtown). i'm triple vaccinated, i don't really care

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i havent been in the office since feb 2020 this is so weird

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

note that by "the office" here i am referring to a two-story building taking up half a block, with our company as the only occupant, and maybe 10-15 people inside the building at any time

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

DELETE CASCADE posted:

hr sent an email today basically saying, we have been doing 1 day per week in office*, and given omicron that will continue for the foreseeable future

* this does not apply to new hires who need to be in more often, so they can get training, from their seniors who are not in the office :confused:

my whole team is distributed and I used to have to go into the office to make zoom calls when we went hybrid. just baffling logic to justify floorspace

meanwhile leadership is still banging the 'if you want to come in despite the omicron wave, sure!' drum with the implication of returning to required days before this wave ends. last time they tried that a bunch of people left so this'll be interesting

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Jonny 290 posted:

i havent been in the office since feb 2020 this is so weird

i interviewed in jan 2020, before the plague, but started apr 2020, after all offices were closed.

i have met most of my coworkers 0 times in person, some of them 1 times (during the interview).

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I got myself a fully remote job last year. there’s been some noise about visiting headquarters but no solid plans have been made.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

we were doing one day a week, everyone in which was tremendously dumb and were supposed to MO e up to three and delta happened. now we're zero in office unless you want to

my buddy's previous job would bring everyone back and then two weeks later a bunch of people would mysteriously get covid and theyd be back to wfh and the cycle would repeat

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

we're pretty well vaccinated here (~95%) so we're just letting omicron go wild, it's going ok. like a thousand people in hospital all up (mostly delta & unvaccinated or a single dose) but with 20k cases a day that seems ok. doesn't stop some people freaking out and thinking the end is nigh though

I was pretty keen to get back to the office for the commute so I'm bummed. love riding my bike.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

cowboy beepboop posted:

I was pretty keen to get back to the office for the commute so I'm bummed. love riding my bike.

ride your bike.... but to somewhere besides work?

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

it's not the same. feels aimless idk

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

cowboy beepboop posted:

we're pretty well vaccinated here (~95%) so we're just letting omicron go wild, it's going ok. like a thousand people in hospital all up (mostly delta & unvaccinated or a single dose) but with 20k cases a day that seems ok. doesn't stop some people freaking out and thinking the end is nigh though

lol where are you that +1000 people is nbd for hospitals?

anyway, australia is 91.5% double vaccinated and our hospitals:

based on results on SA, UK and EU in general, it seems like you need to have a large population that survived a prior infection and/or booster shots.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

ah yes, the doom crew is here

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
no, you're right it's definitely fine that we're at 25% of our peak delta hospitalisations

she'll be right!!!!

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

probably, yeah. we’ve avoided it for ages and now we’re vaccinated and the mildest variant is here. good news all around.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

we're entering the 1920 phase of the 1918-1920 flu pandemic. big fourth wave of a milder evolution of the virus and then it becomes endemic (read: they stop tracking new cases) somewhere around half a billion

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Kazinsal posted:

we're entering the 1920 phase of the 1918-1920 flu pandemic. big fourth wave of a milder evolution of the virus and then it becomes endemic (read: they stop tracking new cases) somewhere around half a billion

america doesnt have a half billion people though

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

The Ravens QB, Lamar Jackson, has had it three times that we know of because they were in season.

With natural immunity that lasts like 3-6 months and nearly half the population of the US refusing to vaccinate it’s never going to become endemic here. Just recurring peaks forever.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

happy new year tori

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

fart simpson posted:

happy new year tori

17 schools in the city here are shut down tomorrow lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

im glad all those kids will be safe and sound at home

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

permanent fully remote work whips rear end in a pandemic

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
it seems like no one knows what endemic means. it isn’t good and it doesn’t mean that covid is over. it just means that the contagious pathogen is so universally prevalent in an area that you can basically say that it is native to that region; that it belongs there. the term doesn’t actually differ historically in usage between epidemiology and zoology. it isn’t defining infectiousness, it is describing prevalence in a region.

an epidemic however is something that can and does rapidly spread, a pathogen that has the capability to have outbreaks where new infection numbers deviate upwards dramatically from the baseline. this baseline could be zero for non-endemic diseases, or some smoldering continuous low rate for endemic ones. epidemic describes how a disease progresses through a population in time.

like I know language evolves with usage and understanding but “endemic” has clearly been intentionally redefined as a convenient terminus to an epidemic, when in fact diseases don’t have endings like that. the flu is still epidemic. you can’t just wait out covid, it’s never going to work.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

agreed. we should just open biden, fully

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
can’t have big surges if everyone is constantly perpetually infected and sick. then it’s not an epidemic anymore.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
That's not really how it works but if people want to make themselves mentally ill, okay

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

otoh i must admit that we have very little idea precisely what a non-surgey steady-state is going to look like, and it might yet be very troublesome. looks like we'll get there pretty soon at going rate though, so we'll see.

still looks like we got luckier than we deserve with omicron, though the data is extremely confusing with some places doing really well hospitalization/death-wise and some looking pretty scary (notably including the us).

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It'll be a worse seasonal flu. Every winter you'll have a mini wave that won't knock the hospitals over or cause a mini panic but basically instead of not even thinking about the flu if you have a large contingent of people who don't get vaccinated or are immunocompromised in your life you'll get to have one or two of them end up in the hospital or die.

It's not very good! You don't really need to make up an apocalyptic scenario in your mind and turn your brain into a rotten apple believing you're living in it. The reality is like it usually is- much more mundane but also depressing and bad!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

barkbell posted:

my boss said stay home dont come to quarterly planning, here we go again

Here we go again on our own
Riding out another wave not going down
Like a yospos I was born to work from home
And I've made up my mind, I ain't wasting no more time

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i'm going to the office tomorrow for my 1 day this week. i could just stay home and no one would give a poo poo, in fact my boss is on vacation, but it's the first week of the year and i want to make an appearance (also i want fried chicken from the place downtown). i'm triple vaccinated, i don't really care

my office is less than ten minutes away so i've actually been enjoying my once a week trips to it. i'm usually the only person there in the whole building so it's been nice to be able to focus a bit and just get a bunch of stuff done

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i'm supposed to be in one day per week starting the 25th. we'll see

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

hoping for full remote work for the foreseeable for all my yospals

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
my work is opening the building on the 18th (assuming they don't punt again due to omicron) and I have pretty mixed feelings about it. I'm excited to be able to go someplace to work but also dreading the social anxiety and increased likelihood of virus transmission. I wish there was better data on long covid & vacc status because i'm really scared of it.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
also my sense of smell is really important to me and losing it for even a little bit of time would be way more miserable than most other kinds of handicaps to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
In a bit of a reversal of roles, I’ve gotten a lot of work done yesterday and even this morning because I’ve been avoiding putting together the bike shed that I got for Christmas.