Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mr. Crow posted:

I still get irrationally angry when I have to use my windows box and try and winkey search and it pops up a loving bing or app store result, even when you exactly type the application.

I've started reverting back to desktop shortcuts :suicide:

Microsoft has also started this poo poo where calling executables from the command line that aren’t on the PATH might bring up the windows store GUI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Last Chance posted:

wait do some Linux desktops not actually let you use the desktop? like it’s windows 3.1 or something? lol
tiling window managers/compositors for xorg and wayland like i3 and sway don't tend to have desktops or icons, because everything's usually running full-screen and just placed side-by-side, over-under, in a mandelbrot pattern, or some other configuration (the two first are the most popular)
some people like their windows to have gaps so that the wallpaper can be displayed

everything gets launched via launchers like dmenu et al, which are typically either bound to the super (also known as the logo key sometimes) or uses the super as a modifier for space (similar to how on macOS you use command+space to bring up the launcher), which in turn reads .desktop files - and that's probably the extent to which traditional desktop elements are involved, since most people who use tiling window managers also turn off the window decorations, borders, and whatever else might be useful on a full desktop experience but which doesn't make sense when you're running everything full-screen and one or two program(s) per workspace

RocketLunatic posted:

I think the amateur hour of KDE is having built-in apps that all start with k.

Are they trying to copy Mac OS which for a time had like iTunes and iPhoto?

In KDE, it’s all kedit and kcalculator and kbrowser and kwallet and kpants… just nonsense.

Sometimes I still think about the desktop environment or window manager that has a separate application to change the desktop background, and that someone exists who would “suits my needs” about that dumb rear end functionality in 2022 is nonsense.

Aka there is no good Linux desktop. Get a Mac or if you can’t afford it get Windows. Happy New Year!
to a certain extend, i understand the desire of the kde developers to make everything fit into a UX that's completely consistent - unfortunately it's not really something that's easily achievable with the way software (especially big things like browsers, rich-text editors, IDEs, and the like) get writen.

for it to work out the way KDE wants, all of those would need to be written as libraries which ship with a frontend tool (much like how libbe(3) is a front-end for bectl(8) in freebsd, for example) - and while this is imminently doable, technically speaking, it requires that things be built like that from the ground-up, and unfortunately nobody seems interested in starting brand-new work when the big projects mentioned involve +10m lines of code (which they still would, even if they were written as libraries, with all the complexity they have).

mystes posted:

As someone who uses i3 but is not a luddite, I like that less gnome/kde stuff seems to be mad at you if you don't run the full desktop environment now.
i always got the impression that tiling window managers were mostly used by powerusers who don't want all of the distractions of a desktop experience, because they prefer to work - so i'm curious what makes you insinuate that i3 users are sometimes luddites?

Hed posted:

Microsoft has also started this poo poo where calling executables from the command line that aren’t on the PATH might bring up the windows store GUI
gently caress me that's the worst loving thing i've ever heard of - seems like eee microsoft is back and worse than ever

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

nah, the launching the store ui for the package providing the thing is fine and really friendly for new users. literally a single click from typing 'python' on a fresh install to having the official python distribution installed and set up.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

worst thing i can say about it is i think it'd be more useful to nudge almost everyone who'd open a commandline and type 'python' onto wsl instead.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
a better solution would be to send people to a c# tutorial if they're dumb enough to try to use python.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Probably insecure as all get-out, but have you seen trinity KDE?

a while back i found it and its cool that they forked the coolest kde and its still maintained? awesome

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

python is cool and good

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

sb hermit posted:

python is cool and good

it’s ok for single file scripts that rely only on the standard library

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Sometimes I open a windows login, hit the windows key immediately, and type "update" to get Windows Update, and often times Windows will give me results that are not windows update. So I have to close the start menu and try again, and it works. This kind of live search is both dumb and useful. At least, I don't have to go hunting for wherever Microsoft decided to plunk the update app, but I think this sort of indexing on the fly is not the best idea.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Oh look at this fancyposter, having a functioning Windows start menu.

Mine has been broken for many updates now. I can fix it temporarily by forcing a rebuild of the file index and killing and restarting explorer.exe…

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Shaggar posted:

a better solution would be to send people to a c# tutorial if they're dumb enough to try to use python.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

has anyone used Vala?

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

has anyone used Vala?

Yes

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
uhh not recently though lol

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

my favorite feature of the modern windows start menu (in addition to the search not working) is how you can click the start button and nothing happens

Windows 95 had a fast and reliable start menu in 4 megabytes of RAM on a 486 and somehow Microsoft has managed to make modern PCs with SSDs and gigabytes of RAM laggy

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

i always got the impression that tiling window managers were mostly used by powerusers who don't want all of the distractions of a desktop experience, because they prefer to work - so i'm curious what makes you insinuate that i3 users are sometimes luddites?

tiling window managers are for people who are still angry at the windows/icons/menus/pointer human interface paradigm and for people who cosplay that for clout

like the people who insist that modal editing and vi key bindings are somehow a superior human interface and not the consequence of just piling hacks on top of hacks on cheap terminals that had minimal keyboards; someone who’s been using vi since the early 1980s gets way more of a pass on that than anyone who “discovered vim” in 2012

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

i admire the level of denial required to think "how do we make our library easier to use? i know, a new programming language will help!" but i would never touch vala

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

my favorite feature of the modern windows start menu (in addition to the search not working) is how you can click the start button and nothing happens

Windows 95 had a fast and reliable start menu in 4 megabytes of RAM on a 486 and somehow Microsoft has managed to make modern PCs with SSDs and gigabytes of RAM laggy

gotta wait for the telemetry tracking to finish sending

also win95 on 4mb ram runs like dogshit

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Vala is a crappy Rust that predates Rust and never got around to inventing borrow checking, throwing GLib reference counting at everything instead.

Maybe it could have been something decent in an alternative universe but it would have needed some heavy backing behind it for that to happen

Also lol how many JavaScript runtimes does GNOME have at this point, like three?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

eschaton posted:

tiling window managers are for people who are still angry at the windows/icons/menus/pointer human interface paradigm and for people who cosplay that for clout

like the people who insist that modal editing and vi key bindings are somehow a superior human interface and not the consequence of just piling hacks on top of hacks on cheap terminals that had minimal keyboards; someone who’s been using vi since the early 1980s gets way more of a pass on that than anyone who “discovered vim” in 2012
I wouldn't say that I'm angry at those things, just that I prefer tiling fullscreen programs, because that means there's less distractions.
I can and have worked with just about any environment from Windows 3.1 through 11, Mac OS Classic through 10 and the newer iterations, CDE and twm over kde and gnome, and probably a few others that I've deliberately blocked from my memory for my own sanity - and even while there's a quite few things I like about all of them individually, I still prefer tiling fullscreen programs for my day-to-day use.
That said, I started with FreeBSD using ratpoison-wm, changed to i3 a few years ago, and am now using Sway on Wayland.

I've been using tcsh and nvi since 1995 when root on a SunOS box in a university dorm gave me a shell account and set those as my shell and editor respectively.
I don't for a second believe they're superior in an absolute sense (does anyone genuinely believe this about preferences?), it's just what I'm used to and changing to something new doesn't seem to be justified, because changing to something like zsh, fish, ksh or something else would mean things like learning how to write new complete syntax for all the things that don't have completes, as well as setting up new config files from the bottom-up (this is never as easy as people make it out to be, because the idea of there being any default that appeals to everyone is laughable) - and I'm not sure if all that work gets me something that's so much better that it was worth all the work I'd put into it.

Progressive JPEG posted:

also win95 on 4mb ram runs like dogshit
To the shock of many, it turns out that 4MB of memory is not a whole lot.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

eschaton posted:

someone who’s been using vi since the early 1980s gets way more of a pass on that than anyone who “discovered vim” in 2012

I've had to explain this to teenagers who are impressed that I use emacs by default when I do something quick. There are better ways now, don't waste ur life.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I've had to explain this to teenagers who are impressed that I use emacs by default when I do something quick. There are better ways now, don't waste ur life.
On the one hand, I can understand where you're coming from given that I'm not willing to put in the work to learn a new shell like I mentioned above, but on the other hand I think if people are willing to put in the world, it's not up to me to tell them not to either.

At least it keeps the dust off.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
They should be focusing on the important things in life, like figuring out how to get around whatever netfiltering software they use these days, and changing the background of the computers in the library...

Man, I'm so old because cellphones make all of that irrelevant.

mystes
May 31, 2006

eschaton posted:

I'm not particularly a fan of vi and tiling window managers just keep stuff way more organized when you have lots of windows open.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

SYSV Fanfic posted:

as a computing professional you're going to want to learn some shortcuts for navigating around your code. you can choose to have those shortcuts exist on every machine and editor you'll ever use or not.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

can't be bothered to configure and properly learn to fluency a tiled wm again these days, which is why i'll again shout out paperwm as an excellent compromise; still gnome for trivial out-of-box, a handful of buttons, and the default tiling strategy covers like 95% of my needs. the way it works is to just make desktop infinitely horizontally scrolling, windows default to being vertically maximized and tiled horizontally. the only other two modes is to split a window vertically (use that very rarely) and to throw a window to a floating layer (i.e. the spotify layer).

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jan 4, 2022

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

my homie dhall posted:

as a computing professional you're going to want to learn some shortcuts for navigating around your code. you can choose to have those shortcuts exist on every machine and editor you'll ever use or not.

vscode is cross platform though.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mystes posted:

I'm not particularly a fan of vi and tiling window managers just keep stuff way more organized when you have lots of windows open.

You can also float windows if you don't like the tiling aspect.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

can't be bothered to configure and properly learn to fluency a tiled wm again these days, which is why i'll again shout out paperwm as an excellent compromise; still gnome for trivial out-of-box, a handful of buttons, and the default tiling strategy covers like 95% of my needs. the way it works is to just make desktop infinitely horizontally scrolling, windows default to being vertically maximized and tiled horizontally. the only other two modes is to split a window vertically (use that very rarely) and to throw a window to a floating layer (i.e. the spotify layer).

Are there fancy ones? The only ones i've really used are i3 and awesome and both worked pretty well out of the box.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

SYSV Fanfic posted:

vscode is cross platform though.

yes, that's the joke.

vscode works has a vim addon. poo poo, i think even visual studio had a decent vim plugin since the mid 00s. there probably isn't an IDE that's half-decent that doesn't vim functionality in some form, most i've used just have the option in the settings.

meanwhile, basic ctrl+c/ctrl+v doesn't even work the same on macos (gotta use the almighty apple key!), never mind basic poo poo like terminal editors lmbo

you absolutely don't have to learn vim if you don't care for it, but i've been using it since the first time i started using linux in like 99, and it's been treating me really well

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

i didn’t learn vim until last year, when I tried kakoune, instantly understood it, and realized I could get 80% of the way there with vim. it’s not “fun” in whatever way kakoune is bizarrely fun to my twisted mind, but it’s on all the machines i need to log in remotely. the shortcuts have been useful in other programs too, like ranger and so on. there are things that suck about it but it’s a relief to know at least one of emacs or vi.

freebsd 5.x came with pico and I knew just enough nvi to edit configs when that didn’t work.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
nobody should be using vim or anything that makes an editor vim-like.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Shaggar posted:

nobody should be using vim or anything that makes an editor vim-like.

shaggar was right

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I've been using vim since the late 90s and it's exceedingly needs-suiting, op

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
vim isn't my thing. but if you use it, hell, more power to you

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

People who have strong opinions on vim are much worse than people who actually use vim.

mystes
May 31, 2006

AnimeIsTrash posted:

People who have strong opinions on vim are much worse than people who actually use vim.
Same but people who have strong opinions about people who have strong opinions about vim

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I think tiling wms are actually really good even for non-programming stuff. I had to write some reports for work recently and I thought the tiling helped with keeping stuff organised. Although looking at that gnome paperwm above I'm thinking that would be even better. Never rice, just use a wm like i3 or sway that usually has ok default bindings.

I learnt vi for a one-off computer science subject at uni (not actually anything to do with my degree at all). I had no choice but to learn it, we had to complete an assignment by logging into some remote Unix box and the lecturer (who sounded exactly like Alan Rickman) said the only editor available was vi. It took a couple of (miserable) hours to figure out wtf I was doing but I somehow saw the appeal and still use it today. This was like 2011 or 2012 or something

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
i started using a tiling wm on macos (amethyst) that turned me into a believer

now to get wayland working and use sway elsewhere

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

fwiw sway is sorta config-compatible with i3 so you could also try i3 first

differences off the top of my head:
- auxiliary i3* commands like i3bar and i3lock change to swaybar and swaylock
- sway supports import statements in configs while i3 annoyingly doesn't last i checked years ago. this would be useful for having sway/i3-specific configs that point to a common config

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

is a "tiling wm" something where it doesnt let you overlap windows or put them where you want them?