Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

if you use win+leftarrow/rightarrow a lot then a tiling wm might be for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Last Chance posted:

is a "tiling wm" something where it doesnt let you overlap windows or put them where you want them?

it's a window manager that puts windows where you want them, not completely randomly

i don't use it at home because kde has the option to force apps to appear in a certain position/size, but still keep windows freely floating because i do a lot of dumb poo poo like watching videos/playing games. at work, i use kwin-tiling and only have an exception set for my password manager

Truga fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 4, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

Last Chance posted:

is a "tiling wm" something where it doesnt let you overlap windows or put them where you want them?
Most of them have a floating layer if you do actually want to overlap windows or janitor their exact positions, but in the main mode of operations you divide virtual desktops up with horizontal/vertical splits and tabs.

This may sound weird but most of the time having arbitrarily positioned overlapping windows is not actually at all useful.

Also, it's really nice to be able to have e.g. tabs that you then divide up vertically regardless of application rather than having each individually program having to have its own bespoke functionality for this. For example, you might want a pane or tab that's vertically split so it can have both an editor and a terminal. IDE's often implement this as a special case but with tiling window managers you can just do stuff like this with any program.

There are third party programs that give you some sort of this type of functionality in Windows but it works much better in actual tiling window managers.

mystes fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 4, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

mystes posted:

This may sound weird but most of the time having arbitrarily positioned overlapping windows is not actually at all useful.
I think it comes down to what type of mental map people are most used to/find most intuitive - there are people who swear by either, and there's no right answer.

Back when I switched to FreeBSD in 2000, ratpoison-wm almost instantly clicked for me and it felt like I could finally use a computer like I'd always wanted to without knowing - this being after almost a decade of using various ideas that Microsoft came up with or stole in the case of the Program Manager in Windows 3.0 and the BEOS and/or OS/2-inspired corner-button of the Chicago kernel-based versions like 95, 98 and ME which eventually made it into NT.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

mystes posted:

Most of them have a floating layer if you do actually want to overlap windows or janitor their exact positions, but in the main mode of operations you divide virtual desktops up with horizontal/vertical splits and tabs.

Also, it's really nice to be able to have e.g. tabs that you then divide up vertically regardless of application rather than having each individually program having to have its own bespoke functionality for this. For example, you might want a pane or tab that's vertically split so it can have both an editor and a terminal. IDE's often implement this as a special case but with tiling window managers you can just do stuff like this with any program.

There are third party programs that give you some sort of this type of functionality in Windows but it works much better in actual tiling window managers.

i recently spent a few days on setting up i3 inside kde and then realized wait. i can just set up a bunch of virtual desktops inside kde, snap windows to left/right to get the tiling i want, rebind shortcuts, and have 100% of what i wanted from a tiling WM without having to actually deal with a tiling WM. its real nice

kde does a really good job of being very usable out of the box while having lots of functionality you can invoke if you decide you need it. probably the best desktop environment that currently exists

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
shame it looks like poo poo

not absolute poo poo any more but still poo poo

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

my only complaint there is that window title bars are really chunky. just because i have a large screen doesnt mean i want to spend a quarter of it on title bars

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
You guys know that vim/emacs have a whole suite of features far above and beyond not needing to take your hands off the homerow, right? I wouldn't even call them advanced.

Like, I know how to use emacs as a full ide w/major minor modes, changing key bindings, writing elisp, recording macros, running reigons through commandlines, laying out multiple windows. It's all pretty worthless now.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Jetbrains stuff/visual studio enhance my productivity way, way, way more than leaving my hands on the homerow.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

SYSV Fanfic posted:

You guys know that vim/emacs have a whole suite of features far above and beyond not needing to take your hands off the homerow, right? I wouldn't even call them advanced.

you do know that it’s 2022 and visual studio code exists, right? even runs on linux

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Nomnom Cookie posted:

my only complaint there is that window title bars are really chunky. just because i have a large screen doesnt mean i want to spend a quarter of it on title bars

in the church of server side decorations, kde is the pope

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

SYSV Fanfic posted:

vscode is cross platform though.

akadajet posted:

you do know that it’s 2022 and visual studio code exists, right? even runs on linux

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Nomnom Cookie posted:

you can just make them smaller op

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Truga posted:

you can make the system title bars smaller, but you can't turn them off, so things like firefox can't put the tabs in the title bar on kde

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

The_Franz posted:

you can make the system title bars smaller, but you can't turn them off, so things like firefox can't put the tabs in the title bar on kde

v

works for me op

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Truga posted:

"a solution exists" ok cool that's good to know but like...can i have a hint. obviously if i was as smart as you i would've found this on my own, but i didn't

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Nomnom Cookie posted:

"a solution exists" ok cool that's good to know but like...can i have a hint. obviously if i was as smart as you i would've found this on my own, but i didn't

buy a bigger monitor op

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Nomnom Cookie posted:

sorry, there's two things the titlebar size is dependent on two things

to change window button sizes go to system settings -> application style -> window decorations, you can click edit button on your selected theme and make them smaller

then, system settings -> fonts, you set window title font size

the titlebar size is always smallest possible to hold the buttons/window title font, so if you set both of these to tiny it *should* be quite thin, it does work like that for me

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

The_Franz posted:

oh no, what a tragedy. i have to compile gtk3-nocsd for this desirable behavior.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

there's a less hacky way because I also have full screen Firefox and didn't need to mess with buttons or fonts

I'm not at home though so remind me to check this poo poo on Friday

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Truga posted:

sorry, there's two things the titlebar size is dependent on two things

to change window button sizes go to system settings -> application style -> window decorations, you can click edit button on your selected theme and make them smaller

then, system settings -> fonts, you set window title font size

the titlebar size is always smallest possible to hold the buttons/window title font, so if you set both of these to tiny it *should* be quite thin, it does work like that for me

thanks ill check this out. salaam. namaste

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

one of the more annoying things about gnome is theres no way to hotkey windows into quadrants of the screen. maybe i need a tiling wm.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

install Tiling Assistant

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

or windows 11

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

pseudorandom name posted:

install Tiling Assistant

i will thanks

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

old. now search for "vi"

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
drat you, linux kids! :argh:

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

5.16 is out!

finally has that futex work that makes wine able to do a proper impl of that waitformultipleobjects thing windows uses

and in btrfs news, suse is working on a send v2 protocol, finally. hope they'll fix that issue with having to manually fix nocow after a send/recv

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

btrfs: send: prepare for v2 protocol

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
Nice!

i dont have an opinion about that futex support for enhancing wine beyond hopefully better performance or capabilities for proton game emulation through steam, but i use btrfs send/receive all the time for backups and improvements to that protocol are much appreciated

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

i got a new receiver for my office that supports bluetooth and this morning i thought hey, i bet my work laptop (which runs linux) has bluetooth too. can i do spotify? here are the steps i followed:

click the bluetooth icon in the system tray (i use kde :smug:)
add the receiver
set the default sound output back to my laptop speakers
install spotify with flatpak, launch it, log in
start something playing
click the volume icon in the system tray
click applications
click the hamburger icon next to spotify and send it to bluetooth

everything worked completely painlessly and now i have music on my music speakers and stupid computer boops on my laptop speakers, which is a division that i couldn't achieve using my phone. linux is now more usable than ios

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Usually complaints about bluetooth audio revolve around the device using a non-standard codec that isn't in the standard dependencies. Ubuntu pulls them all in, debian doesn't. Wonder if I could make a bluetooth-audio-notworking metapackage....

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Nomnom Cookie posted:

click the hamburger icon next to spotify and send it to bluetooth

When you hover over the icon of the application in the volume widget, try click-dragging it.

It's some wild poo poo.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

im getting a little bored of using linux as my main and think i might get a better handle on organizing myself and research (pdf library especially) on a mac, which I used 2007-2012 and mostly enjoyed but couldn’t afford to keep using. things just don’t work as smoothly for managing content as opposed to files, and my iPhone isn’t well supported (not counting kde / gnome connect). so I have a few reasons that seem sensible to me.

windows isn’t appreciably better in terms of integration and it’s full of adware.

anyone here move away from Linux on the desktop for similar reasons?

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Antigravitas posted:

When you hover over the icon of the application in the volume widget, try click-dragging it.

It's some wild poo poo.

neat

i noticed after a while that the sound was mono only. figured it was a linux problem so i started googling and troubleshooting. why is the sound mono when pactl says it's using a2dp!!! oh one of the speaker wires fell out because i didn't screw down the binding post enough

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

im getting a little bored of using linux as my main and think i might get a better handle on organizing myself and research (pdf library especially) on a mac, which I used 2007-2012 and mostly enjoyed but couldn’t afford to keep using. things just don’t work as smoothly for managing content as opposed to files, and my iPhone isn’t well supported (not counting kde / gnome connect). so I have a few reasons that seem sensible to me.

windows isn’t appreciably better in terms of integration and it’s full of adware.

anyone here move away from Linux on the desktop for similar reasons?

i mean. windows is not *really* full of adware, microsoft has done some dumb things but it is a bit of yospos hyperbole at work there. otoh macos is real good at precisely that kind of app where you organize a bunch of references, notes, files and whatnot. and linux is indeed weirdly bad at it, or i've not after decades found the right software. better enjoy managing a lot of loose files.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

hackintosh might be an option if you can't afford apple hardware

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i mean. windows is not *really* full of adware, microsoft has done some dumb things but it is a bit of yospos hyperbole at work there. otoh macos is real good at precisely that kind of app where you organize a bunch of references, notes, files and whatnot. and linux is indeed weirdly bad at it, or i've not after decades found the right software. better enjoy managing a lot of loose files.

You literally cannot search for installed applications in the start menu without getting bing ads (also it doesn't even find your application)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

On a stock ubuntu 20.04 system, I have to spend zero time in uninstalling start menu ads for games, streaming services, and office software. Also, I don't have to change my lock screen away from "Windows Spotlight". And I don't have to find microsoft onedrive to stop it from starting at startup to tell me that I haven't set it up yet.

Don't forget that Microsoft has a history of automatically installing games on your computer.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/stop-windows-10-installing-unwanted-apps