Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Are you sure it doesn’t go off the rails like some kind of… Doomtrain? 👻

drat, that was right there. I failed. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
final fantasy 8 is good

SetsunaMeioh
Sep 28, 2007
Mistress of the Night
I love that this is the only FF game where my favorite character is...an NPC (Ellone.)

There's just a lot of potential in her and her relationships to the cast that isn't really explored.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
should have had edea permanently join the party. would've been very cool.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I loved FFVIII so much that fifteen year old me actually printed out a fan fiction of the game. It was a long loving fan fiction too! Like 100k words. Was like 300 pages when I printed it out.

edit: FOUND IT!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/76718/1/The-Promise-of-Nightmares

SetsunaMeioh
Sep 28, 2007
Mistress of the Night

roomtone posted:

should have had edea permanently join the party. would've been very cool.

Agreed, she's my second favorite character. I think she has my favorite character design in the series, it's so immediately striking and powerful.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
ffix has a similar issue with beatrix. there's basically no good reason she isn't with the party, but the designers just didn't want to include her for some reason. if i'm being cynical i think it's because beatrix and edea are both older and independently capable which that just doesn't fit with their idea of what a female party member should be (ie, either romantically interested in MC or a cutesy type, or both), but edea and beatrix of them not being in the mix felt wrong. beatrix even more so really because it was actually her job to protect garnet, but edea has a lot of motivation to join up, too, and has the villain redemption arc just sitting there barely touched. IIRC she just kind of goes off to the orphanage and stands around there for the rest of the game.

i agree her design is great, she looks really cool.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

NORG is my absolute favorite bit of random insanity. Why does this guy with one scene have music like he's the final boss?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXfxeqy4yLQ

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
I don't know if its worth adding a section for Speedruns and LPs in the OP, but this is the only FFVIII Speedrun I have watched all the way through so far. It's pretty good, and they even all sing Eyes on Me together:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSF9-3KdauA

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

I said come in! posted:

One of my friends is going to be playing Final Fantasy VIII for the first time ever, and streaming it on Twitch https://twitch.tv/karkalla if anyone is interested in seeing someone play the original PS1 release completely blind. They stream every weekday at 10am pacific time, so will be live in the next hour.

Going to watch this from the start, thanks for sharing.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Rooney McNibnug posted:

I don't know if its worth adding a section for Speedruns and LPs in the OP, but this is the only FFVIII Speedrun I have watched all the way through so far. It's pretty good, and they even all sing Eyes on Me together:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSF9-3KdauA

Luzbelheim is a gross transphobe GDQ keep having on for some reason

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

Shoehead posted:

Luzbelheim is a gross transphobe GDQ keep having on for some reason

Gah that loving sucks... I don't really know about anyone in that video :/

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
It really sucks because they had him on for IX and VIII and they are both multi hour runs, and I don't know of anyone knew at the first even but a lot of people were talking about it when he was back on.. He's not the runner either time mind you.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Watching her continue this silly game, she just went to Dollet and I've always wondered at this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrqWmOKyT-Y

Time is hard to measure in FFVIII but at most it's only been a day or two between Dollet being besieged and occupied and when you can return to it to hear this music.

I guess being invaded and poo poo is just something you get over remarkably quickly.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

lol at this (we've all been there):

https://clips.twitch.tv/KitschyCheerfulWolverineGivePLZ-CbLUE12AFBI5GBGq

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I have, in fact, never been there.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/MOOMANiBE/status/1259618332333891585

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I love this stupid game and I'm glad to see a thread for it.

I spent the spring listening to the Resonant Arc podcast discuss the game and it was interesting. I don't agree with all of their takes but it was still a fun time. I listened on Apple Podcasts but here is the youtube playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJCH8faf6GawnuOlvJ_qsUBknGkBFUKQj

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Watching her continue this silly game, she just went to Dollet and I've always wondered at this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrqWmOKyT-Y

Time is hard to measure in FFVIII but at most it's only been a day or two between Dollet being besieged and occupied and when you can return to it to hear this music.

I guess being invaded and poo poo is just something you get over remarkably quickly.

I seem to recall seeing some flavor text to the effect that they negotiated an armistice whereby the Galbadians would retain control of the antenna tower but not keep an armed presence in the city proper. However, it's possible that I just made that up.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

I seem to recall seeing some flavor text to the effect that they negotiated an armistice whereby the Galbadians would retain control of the antenna tower but not keep an armed presence in the city proper. However, it's possible that I just made that up.

Dollet has a pretty interesting story, imo: https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Dollet

“wikia” posted:

Together with Esthar, Dollet was founded by the Centra civilization, which controlled the entire southern continent. When Lunar Cry destroyed the Centra civilization, Dollet carried on as the Holy Dollet Empire, and eventually controlled the entire Galbadian continent as well as Balamb. During a military conflict, Balamb declared independence and seceded from the empire.[1] 80 years ago, Galbadia and Timber gained independence, while Dollet was reduced to a small duchy in the northeastern corner of the Galbadian continent.

In the present-day, Dollet hosts one of the few radio communication facilities left after the abandonment of radio technology 17 years ago due to the worldwide radio interference. When Galbadian president Vinzer Deling wants to broadcast Sorceress Edea's ascension as the nation's new ambassador, he attacks Dollet take control of the duchy's radio tower. In 49 hours the Galbadian Army breaks through the Dollet lines of defense and occupies the city, forcing the Dollet army to withdraw to the surrounding mountains. 54 hours into the battle the Dollet Parliament votes to hire SeeD mercenaries to assist, and 18 hours later the reinforcements arrive in seven SeeD Assault Boats.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Can someone solve a mystery for me? For a long time I assumed the ballroom scene took place in some other part of the Garden that you can’t access otherwise. That is until my friend posited that the pillars look the same as the ones in the cafeteria and that maybe it’s taking place there with all the tables and seating removed.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

man nurse posted:

Can someone solve a mystery for me? For a long time I assumed the ballroom scene took place in some other part of the Garden that you can’t access otherwise. That is until my friend posited that the pillars look the same as the ones in the cafeteria and that maybe it’s taking place there with all the tables and seating removed.

Nah, its on an upper floor since Squall goes to the balcony straight from it, and the flooring is different. Screenshots midway down the page.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So VG has also started an FFVIII blind stream
https://www.twitch.tv/videogamessa

Only wholesome, happy streams of FFVIII. It's kinda nice.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

https://i.imgur.com/8fPdgMy.mp4

e: audio on

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Karkalla got a PocketStation, so she is playing the Chocobo mini-game that comes with Final Fantasy VIII.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Karkalla got a PocketStation, so she is playing the Chocobo mini-game that comes with Final Fantasy VIII.

Those things are pretty cute. iirc the Steam version of FFVIII (both original and "remastered" comes with a digital version of this mini-game? I have them but have never tried it yet.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I said come in! posted:

Lmao

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rooney McNibnug posted:

Those things are pretty cute. iirc the Steam version of FFVIII (both original and "remastered" comes with a digital version of this mini-game? I have them but have never tried it yet.

I was just wondering about this. I am going to have to check that out now.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Remastered lets you find the unique items with Angelo Search, the minigame isn't there. The Steam version might? I never tried. By all accounts its pretty terrible.

Pulchritudinous
May 19, 2005
It means "to reduce by one-tenth."

Rooney McNibnug posted:

Original has it yes, remastered no.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
I never played 8. I would like to. What do I need to know in order to have a good time? I don't mind breaking the game either, I find that fun.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

aperfectcirclefan posted:

I never played 8. I would like to. What do I need to know in order to have a good time? I don't mind breaking the game either, I find that fun.

8 is the most breakable, free-form Final Fantasy game. Manipulating abstract mechanics to become very powerful is a major part of the appeal.

Repeatedly using the "Draw" command in battle is the worst, slowest, and most boring way to get magic, and many people who hated the game did so because they were the character in the black-and-white section of an infomercial who didn't realize there was a better way. Instead, get the abilities Card (which turns enemies into cards) and Card Mod (which allows you to turn cards into items), then use various Refine abilities to turn those items into magic. Play cards with many NPCs to also get more cards, if you want. You may wish to consult a guide to help you prevent the proliferation of annoying regional card game rules.

However, you should always Draw from bosses, because many of them have unique things you can get this way. There's stuff you can miss, if that bothers you, though anything significant that you do miss you'll get a second chance at... inside the final dungeon.

Enemies scale to the average level of your party, but you can become much stronger than your character level suggests by junctioning powerful magic, so some people who play like to avoid leveling up. Conveniently, enemies turned into cards yield no experience, if you want to do things that way, though it doesn't really matter. You can also get Enc-None, the ability which completely disables all random encounters, relatively early. You shouldn't feel obligated to go to such an extreme, however.

Return to your desk at the school after major plot points to read Selphie's blog. A lot of people don't even know it's there.

There's an infinite money loop you can access as early as disk 2.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Drawing 100 of a spell from an enemy honestly doesn't take much time either (esp. with the speed up options in the remaster or in an emulator). I think people just hated the idea that they would lose magic by casting it and have to keep finding new sources go top it off.

Ultimately what I ended up doing is junctioning spells I wasn't planning on ever using to stats and affinities (because they buff you less as you use them up) and not casting a lot of magic overall. Spells are useful to hit certain enemy weaknesses but overall the easiest way to bust the difficulty curve open is to junction a powerful spell to ATK and let rip with normal attacks.

My number one recommendation would be to use the magic lamp item before getting on the train to leave the starting Garden area (save first) and start learning the enc-half and enc-none abilities as soon as you can. IMO the most laid back way to play is w/ enc-half on and not worrying about levelling up too much, but when you're trying to do a puzzle or need to backtrack you're going to want that enc-none.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Awesome thank you both very much

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

Agreeing that casting Magic at all is pointless. Most bosses have a curative spell right on them that you can Draw cast if needed, and if you need to hit multiple enemies, well you've got Summons and Limit Breaks right there.

Speaking of Limit Breaks, in case you're not aware, they activate when a character is at critical health. If you hit the Skip Turn button, you can force it to appear, so leaving one character at critical HP and let them destroy everything is a valid way to play, too. The damage dealers will be obviously useful (Squall), but if you're going to keep random battles on, Quistis is the most generically useful imo, as monster parts teach her Blue Magic for her LB. If you play cards, Gesper can be gotten really early and the item refined from it teaches Degenerator. It's an instant kill against most non-boss enemies in the game, including Death-immune ones.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Is it better to play the ps1 version or go for the switch version?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Another weird thing to note about playing VIII is that Square at the time, for whatever reason, chose a more kind of casual and immersive approach to world building, in that most of it comes from NPCs and looking at items around the world and not in big unavoidable infodumps. Which makes it great to replay imo but a lot of people missed huge chunks of the backstory the first time through because who wants to talk to NPCs?

Like don't feel like you need to but there's a lot of stuff hidden away that's cute

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Another useful tip: render Squall Blind

The blindness status effect doesn't set your accuracy to zero, it just subtracts 100 from the percentage chance of hitting. Squall natively has 255% accuracy. Meaning that even completely blind, he'll always hit. But the GAME treats this as a significant enough handicap that you'll get Limit Breaks easier.

You might think this is a Daredevil thing where blindness enhances his other senses, but no. Squall just puts on dark sunglasses, pretends to be blind, and while the enemies are feeling sorry for him he gets in a sucker punch.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Celebrity Ghost posted:

Agreeing that casting Magic at all is pointless. Most bosses have a curative spell right on them that you can Draw cast if needed, and if you need to hit multiple enemies, well you've got Summons and Limit Breaks right there.

Speaking of Limit Breaks, in case you're not aware, they activate when a character is at critical health. If you hit the Skip Turn button, you can force it to appear, so leaving one character at critical HP and let them destroy everything is a valid way to play, too. The damage dealers will be obviously useful (Squall), but if you're going to keep random battles on, Quistis is the most generically useful imo, as monster parts teach her Blue Magic for her LB. If you play cards, Gesper can be gotten really early and the item refined from it teaches Degenerator. It's an instant kill against most non-boss enemies in the game, including Death-immune ones.

I'm reasonably sure getting some early cureagas from tents and only using limit breaks the whole game is optimal, but its pretty boring.

Shoehead posted:

Another weird thing to note about playing VIII is that Square at the time, for whatever reason, chose a more kind of casual and immersive approach to world building, in that most of it comes from NPCs and looking at items around the world and not in big unavoidable infodumps. Which makes it great to replay imo but a lot of people missed huge chunks of the backstory the first time through because who wants to talk to NPCs?

Like don't feel like you need to but there's a lot of stuff hidden away that's cute

The big, easily avoided, infodump in the menu was a poor decision, as a whole, whole lot of info about FF8s world not immediately pertinent to Squall's quest is in there, its not well spelled out that its there, and it doesn't tell you when it updates. And who plays a jrpg and doesn't talk to npcs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

aperfectcirclefan posted:

Is it better to play the ps1 version or go for the switch version?

One downside to the modern Remastered version of FF8 is that it uses the old PC version as a base, which means it lacks true analog movement. IIRC, the PS1 version lets you have full 360 degree movement if you use an analog controller, while the PC version--and as a result all the remastered releases--locks you to 8-direction movement even with an analog stick. It's by no means gamebreaking but if you're expecting smooth analog turning it can be annoying to get used to.