Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Also "you always have a choice, you can always choose" isn't true at all for a lot of games??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, a lot of choice based games still have some degree of railroading to keep the main plot going. The only exception I can think of is Detroit: Become Human where your choices can literally change major aspects of the story (or in some cases, outright remove certain aspects all together).

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the term "game" in "video game" is a poor word to describe what a lot of games do, but it's a word we are saddled with because language is often imprecise and we inherit ill-fitting words all the time which we use to describe things

NITW reminds me of kentucky route zero, in that the minimal amount of control and choice you are given over the otherwise linear story is an essential part of drawing you in to the story. one things that interactive electronic entertainment products video games excel at is putting players in the mindset that they inhabit this content; you're not just watching it like a film, you're basically a participant in the events. this is the trick behind the entire walking simulator genre, and why these stories could be adapted to some other medium but they just wouldn't be as compelling in that other medium

NITW has a very cartoonish art style that would fit well in a comic book but you'd miss out on some of the little meditative beats like riding on the back of gregg's bike. or all of the general character-bonding you get from loving around doing dumb poo poo. mae's bad drunken dancing wouldn't be nearly as good if it were just flatly shown instead of letting the player choose mae's next dumb flailing

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 14, 2020

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

You need to feel the utter confusion and despair from being suddenly thrown into a rhythm game to play bass for a song you never heard before and had no real chance to practice for. Can't get that in a movie.

Also wrecking Gregg at knife fighting doesn't feel gratifying if it's just a video.

Besides, the jumping 'puzzle' got patched and now you can have Mae do it for you, with a cute bit of extra dialogue.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kind of wish there was a way to skip some of the dream sequences like you can the rhythm ones though (just press whatever passes for the start button on your console of choice).

The first and last dreams are neat but everything else is basically the same thing (find like 4-5 musicians in a series of increasingly complex areas and then return to the starting point), it just would have been nice if they were a bit more unique as it’s honestly the most tedious part of the game in my opinion.

Speaking of, is there any trick to completing the rhythm sections? As currently I don’t think I have the reflexes to ever do them successfully.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Switching to keyboard controls helped me a ton. Just touch the keyboard and it'll automatically update the prompts, then you can use 1234 instead.

I'm kinda bummed out that the dreams are so lackluster. From poking around in the game assets, there's some placeholders for when they were much more involved and more like Astral projection. Including talking to the old timey miners she comes across.

Senator Chuckles
Apr 28, 2013
My itch.io-purchased 32-bit PC version of the game is freezing up at a specific point and I don't know how to fix it. I'm on chapter four, right near the end of the game, right after Mae has regained consciousness. From what I can gather from videos, when I get to this point, I'm supposed to reach an elevator shaft and find out that the mysterious fellow has already used it to go down. There's a lever to the right of us and everything. Problem is, everything looks....different from what I see in other videos. The coloring is off, the assets look different or missing, etc. And once I hit the "look" prompt no dialogue comes up, I'm stuck in place and cannot move, but can still hit ESC and return to the title screen. I think Angus is supposed to have the next line. Any idea what could be causing this, and whether there's a fix? I really don't want to have to start over when I'm so close to the end!

Again, it looks p cool, but I think there are a bunch of assets missing there.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Macaluso posted:

Also "you always have a choice, you can always choose" isn't true at all for a lot of games??

I'm fairly certain that was :thejoke:, those exact two phrases verbatim are what Mae has to choose between to respond to Bea when they're arguing in her room (which, despite being a choice, is not a choice (which is the point of that choice (and that sequence (and the game))))

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Larryb posted:

Yeah, a lot of choice based games still have some degree of railroading to keep the main plot going. The only exception I can think of is Detroit: Become Human where your choices can literally change major aspects of the story (or in some cases, outright remove certain aspects all together).

Detroit: Become Human actually really only has the illusion of choice, same with all of that developer's games. Only two things actually effect where the plot ends up, and only a couple of results. And one result is so out of left field and awful that it ruins the rest of the game. There is a special ending you can access where it turns out that none of the robots actually became human or sentient, and actually the corporation that made them false flagged the uprising so as to increase their own profits. This entirely ruins any sort of moral or message the game might have.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jun 20, 2021

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Discord spoiler tags aren't gonna work here.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Chev posted:

Discord spoiler tags aren't gonna work here.

Me fixing them will, however!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Since this thread got bumped I forget, do any of the creators of this game have any other projects currently in the works?

Given the recent drama surrounding it we’re likely not going to get any further Night in the Woods related content in the future at least (unfortunately). I believe the planned bonus thing they announced a long while back is dead now too.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Scott Benson and Bethany Hockenberry went on to form a new studio, but they haven't revealed what they're making yet

http://theglorysociety.com/

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

repiv posted:

Scott Benson and Bethany Hockenberry went on to form a new studio, but they haven't revealed what they're making yet

http://theglorysociety.com/

They have an active job posting which expires tomorrow looking for a new coder, though!
https://twitter.com/theglorysociety/status/1405907769258041351

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Here's something I only just discovered: last week Benson actually released a comic based on an album that was a huge influence on Night in the Woods (especially the title track...), in the style of Night in the Woods. He goes into detail about that influence in the foreword. I vaguely remember something about him making NitW comics? but I don't think this counts as one of those:

And a thread about his history with the band, including designing merch for them:
https://twitter.com/bombsfall/status/1393290115292729351

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
I hope they give us a spiritual successor to NITW periodically. It was such a unique and moving game that weaved humor, drama, and Cthlulhu mythos incredibly well.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hilario Baldness posted:

I hope they give us a spiritual successor to NITW periodically. It was such a unique and moving game that weaved humor, drama, and Cthlulhu mythos incredibly well.

I think the creators have a new project in the works but to my knowledge there haven’t been any details yet.

But yeah, while a literal sequel is probably out of the question at this point given everything it would be nice if we got a game that was at least spiritually similar.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Just finished playing it and loved it. I chose the Bea route because, honestly, it just felt right. It felt kinda similar to Life is Strange: Someone returning to their hometown, reconnecting with an estranged friend and the supernatural poo poo starts to happened. The cult of murder-dads also felt like the one in Hot Fuzz. They were clearly not just feeding whatever in the shaft but also getting rid of element that they believed would harm the town. They say they only pick people who wouldn't be missed, but Casey was clearly missed. But they believed he was on his way to be a delinquent so down the hole he went. It was funny that not only did Germ had dynamite but also was willing to blow up the well with no explanation.
The dream sequences where you had to summon the musicians was kinda tedious though and didn't really seem to add anything to the game.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 11, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, the one issue I have with the game is that with the exception of the first and last one all the dream sequences were pretty much the same (find musicians in increasingly complex platforming areas and then return to the start).

I wish there was a bit more variation or at the very least you could just skip them like you can with the rhythm sections (just press whatever passes for the start button on your platform of choice when the song starts).

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Larryb posted:

I wish there was a bit more variation or at the very least you could just skip them like you can with the rhythm sections (just press whatever passes for the start button on your platform of choice when the song starts).

I made Mae a terrible bassplayer on purpose. My failures had nothing to do with the rhythm sections being literally impossible to get correct.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Alhazred posted:

I made Mae a terrible bassplayer on purpose. My failures had nothing to do with the rhythm sections being literally impossible to get correct.

Is there a particular trick to those? Because I’ve played the game multiple times now and those sections seem too fast/complex for normal humans to keep up with (or maybe I just suck at rhythm games).

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Larryb posted:

Is there a particular trick to those? Because I’ve played the game multiple times now and those sections seem too fast/complex for normal humans to keep up with (or maybe I just suck at rhythm games).

Years of training in Guitar Hero and Rock Band certainly helped.

Also holding the keyboard like this:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
most of the bass sections are pretty basic if you have any experience with rhythm games, except for Pumpkin Headed Guy, which will tie up your fingers like earbud cords

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Years of training in Guitar Hero and Rock Band certainly helped.

Also holding the keyboard like this:

How about those of us who are playing the game on a console then?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Larryb posted:

Is there a particular trick to those?

Sell your soul to the Black Goat in the mines.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Larryb posted:

How about those of us who are playing the game on a console then?

unfortunately not even god can help you

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Take your hand off the controller and put 4 fingers of whatever hand you're most competent with on the 1 - 4 numerical keys above the letters of your keyboard.
And if you don't care about getting a capital P Perfect on Pumpkin Head Guy, just ignore one of the strings. As long as you played the rest of the song well enough, you'll still get praised by your friends.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m playing on PS4 so that’s not really an option for me

Acebuckeye13 posted:

unfortunately not even god can help you

So it’s basically impossible without a keyboard, good to know that I will never achieve 100% completion in terms of achievements in that game then (though I don’t care too much about that anyway).

Speaking of achievements, what do you need to buy in order to make the perfect meal in the Dinner With Bea segment?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I actually did mess up that one purpose because it would be what Mae would do.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Alhazred posted:

I actually did mess up that one purpose because it would be what Mae would do.

She even says beforehand that she’s out of practice and doesn’t know the song, I’m choosing to believe that messing up during the performance is canon.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Larryb posted:

She even says beforehand that she’s out of practice and doesn’t know the song, I’m choosing to believe that messing up during the performance is canon.

It is. Benson says he intentionally wrote it that way so your performance doesn't matter, because Mae is canonically terrible at bass.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fuschia tude posted:

It is. Benson says he intentionally wrote it that way so your performance doesn't matter, because Mae is canonically terrible at bass.

Makes sense honestly. Since I’m likely never going to see it, what do Mae and the others say if you do well/perfectly at the rhythm sections?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Larryb posted:

I meant the food. I deliberately picked random stuff because it seemed like the Mae thing to do.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Alhazred posted:

I meant the food. I deliberately picked random stuff because it seemed like the Mae thing to do.

Oh ok, I was just curious what the “correct” combination of items was.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Larryb posted:

Makes sense honestly. Since I’m likely never going to see it, what do Mae and the others say if you do well/perfectly at the rhythm sections?

Mae is like "All in a day's work!" and her friends are a little surprised it sounded actually good. And you get a different drawing in the journal.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Larryb posted:

Something other than pork chops cooked in chicken broth I would assume.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Larryb posted:

There's a few other responses too.

code:
<<if $band_practice_0_right is 100>>
	// player played the song perfectly!
	Gregg: Um, that was pretty much... perfect.
	Bea: Uh... whoa.
	Angus: Yeah.
	Mae: All in a day's work. :)
	Mae: :|
<<elseif $band_practice_0_right > 90>>
	// player did pretty alright!!
	Gregg: Pretty good!
	Bea: Yeah, that was okay.
	Mae: Not bad considering I don't know this song!
<<elseif $band_practice_0_played < 50>>
	// player played less than 50% of the notes registered
	Gregg: So... you just not gonna play mostly?
	Bea: Yeah is this your thing?
	Mae: My thing is barely knowing this song to begin with.
<<elseif $band_practice_0_right < 20>>
	// player probably mashed random buttons for the whole song
	Bea: Something makes me think you're not taking this seriously.
	Gregg: Like at all.
	Mae: Well...
<<elseif $band_practice_0_right < 50>>
	// pretty baaaad
	Gregg: AAAAGH. Geez.
	Bea: Yeah that was not good.
<<else>>
	// a catch-all for doing pretty meh
	Gregg: Wow, Mae that was uh...
	Bea: Pretty bad is what it was.
	Mae: I literally do not know this song.
<<endif>> 

Larryb posted:

There's a few.

Ground beef + mac & cheese + succotash (with no Bakey Shakey)
Pork Chops with Bakey Shakey + scalloped potatoes + green beans
Chicken + chicken broth + biscuits (and no Bakey Shakey)
Fish + mac & cheese + creamed spinach (with no Bakey Shakey)

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Game's out on phones, finally. Well, some of them.

https://twitter.com/bombsfall/status/1435969317665853449

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I realise it's how they're drawn but I like to think that Bea's Crocodile/Alligator snout is just SO LONG that she has to face her head sideways in order to fit into the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Senator Chuckles posted:

My itch.io-purchased 32-bit PC version of the game is freezing up at a specific point and I don't know how to fix it. I'm on chapter four, right near the end of the game, right after Mae has regained consciousness. From what I can gather from videos, when I get to this point, I'm supposed to reach an elevator shaft and find out that the mysterious fellow has already used it to go down. There's a lever to the right of us and everything. Problem is, everything looks....different from what I see in other videos. The coloring is off, the assets look different or missing, etc. And once I hit the "look" prompt no dialogue comes up, I'm stuck in place and cannot move, but can still hit ESC and return to the title screen. I think Angus is supposed to have the next line. Any idea what could be causing this, and whether there's a fix? I really don't want to have to start over when I'm so close to the end!

Again, it looks p cool, but I think there are a bunch of assets missing there.

I played the same version of the game (downloaded it again from itch.io just a few days ago) and it did look like that but I assumed it was supposed to. It worked and I was able to finish it. Maybe re-download and reload?