Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

What is this?
It's Final Fantasy V, do I need to say more?

Psh, fine. Final Fantasy 5 was originally released in 1992 in Japan for the Super Famicom. There were plans to release it onto the SNES but they chose instead to focus on localizing FFVI instead since allegedly Squaresoft considered FFV to be hard (Hence why it was refloated for release as Final Fantasy Extreme, but between the end of the SNES's life cycle and the obvious step back in graphics to FFVI it was shelved).

In 1999 the US finally got this game in an official release in the PSX release of Final Fantasy Anthology along with FFVI. This release was effectively identical to the original release, however this was at a time where Square was still throwing the translation services to a poorly staffed department and a 4pm on a Friday deadline. Dialog was still mostly coherent, but not always. And the enemy names... are, well. Memorable.

In 2006 there was a new release for the Gameboy Advance. This has what manycitation needed(source:most members of a totally unbiased discord I'm in) consider the best version to play. The game was localized properly and there is a good mix of bug fixes and new beneficial bugs brought to the table. Like the other Advance releases, a new bonus dungeon was added. 4 new jobs were added as well.

In 2013 saw a release for iOS, and eventually made its way to Android and Steam. This was mostly an adaptation of the Advance release. The major differences were many beneficial bugs were crushed. The enemy sprites in battle were beautiful. The player sprites and overworld tiling were less so. If I mention this in the course of the LP I will probably refer to it as the Matrix release. It's no longer available for sale because...

In 2021 SquareEnix decided to rerelease the mainline Final Fantasy games from the Nintendo systems. These are the Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters. These are ostensibly direct ports of the original releases, stripped of all the bonus content. The Pixel Remaster series has upgrade graphics, a remastered soundtrack that absolutely slaps, and some pretty good quality of life tools under the hood.

The LP
For the third or fourth time ever playing this game, I am not Fiestaing. Okay that link doesn't immediately explain much since its currently off season. Four Job Fiesta is a challenge run of FFV and I realize that I spent 20 minutes listing off facts and didn't actually explain anything. Final Fantasy V was the second game in the series to feature a job system, III was the first. IV utilizes jobs but aside from Cecil becoming a Paladin, the only changes in jobs was in the revolving door of characters.

In FFV you get 4 characters and can make them as you want. There are a lot of jobs by the end. Honestly calling a Fiesta a challenge run is oversimplifying, and probably an outright lie. In Fiesta you get 4 jobs and those are the ones you use til the end. There is bliss in knowing what you're going to do from fight to fight, dungeon through dungeon.

I've taken the limiters off. I can do what I want when I drat well please. This is probably why Square originally thought this game was too hard. You are at real risk of decision paralysis with what you could be doing at any time. With intimate knowledge of all the hammers at your disposal every problem is going to look like a very tiny nail.

Spoiler Policy
Go hog, the game is almost 30 years old. And aside from one midgame plot beat this game does not do subtlety.

Imaginarily Asked Questions
"So what version should I play?"
I'd say that the Pixel Remaster is definitely the way to go for casual play. If you were to drink deep of Fiesta, that answer is more difficult and could vary from run to run.

SNES release
Pros - Project Demi is a quality of life hack for FFV. For casual play this means that battle rewards can be scaled, so ABP grind for job mastery isn't quite so grindy. For Fiesta play this means skipping cutscenes. This is arguably the best game to play for a multiple berserker teams, as there is an underflow glitch that makes their ultimate weapon more ultimate.
Cons - The worst I can say is that this release actively punishes a certain strategy for the final boss. Said strategy is definitely absolutely certainly not the one I used on the first time I played the game. Them nerfing that playstyle is a dick move for one and only fight but honestly the boss can be broken far harder far easier.

PSX release
Pros - The enemy names. (I will point out any of the good ones, and when mentioning them will use the PSX names exclusively)
Cons - The enemy names. The fact that unless you have a PSX or PS2 laying around you almost certainly can't play it on hardware. The load times are horrible. It is pratically the same as the SNES release so any situation you'd want to play this version you should just play the SNES one.

GBA release
Pros - This is the localization of the game that all future ones are based off of. It's that good. Some bugs are fixed, but some new ones are introduced, many of those new bugs are pivitol to many Fiesta teams. Speaking of Fiesta, there is a patch to unlock all jobs immediately if you want to go ham right out the gate.
Cons - The lack of GBA onboard soundchip means that the soundtrack loses a bit of the original kick (The above mentioned patch also fixes this). The Advance special jobs are mostly non-factors and show up way too late to be relevant unless you're using the above patch.

Matrix release
Pros - I understand that this fixed some of the nastiest Berserker-only fights you'd subject yourself to in Fiesta rules.
Cons - For any berserker love the game has it fixes the good GBA bugs and breaks other non-bug strats out of spite.

Pixel Remaster
Pros - Quality of Life features like auto battle, a very detailed map. While many of the bugs I love are fixed there are new tricks that take their place that I plan to show off. Finally and probably the most important: This is probably the best way to play the game casually, both because its commercially available so no need for piracy and because it has the previously mentioned quality of life improvements.
Cons - There are some hardlocks or other bad bugs, but Squenix is still actively patching so those will hopefully be resolved. Like all the other PR releases, despite having PIXEL right in the name the default text is regular font. Look back up at the top of the thread, that's the best that font will ever look, it only looks worse and way too tiny in the actual game. That's the last time you'll be seeing any of that. There are means of just renaming or replacing files that fixes this, so I'm only mentioning this on the minor chance someone buys this game because they see me talking about it and anyone asks why things suddenly look better like below.

That's basically what I want to say, lets get into this.

Part 1 In hindsight I should probably have made this update a little meteor.
Part 2 Very well... I will give you your Butz. You seem to want it so.
Part 3 In Which We Tule Around
Part 4 I'm blue daba dee da ba di
Part 5 A man a map a canal, Anacapamanama
Part 6 BRB entering my cold rod in Forza Motorsports
Part 7 Water Damage
Part 8 Thread Title Drop
Part 9 Donde está la Byblos teca?
Part 10 HWUH
Part 11 Built Ronka Rough
Part 12 Down to Earth
Part 13 The Cursed Part
Part 14 NO JOKE TITLE ONLY ROCK
Part 15 Quelb Your Enthusiasm
Part 16 High Seas Havok
Part 17 Moore Than You Can Handle
Part 18 Meat Casa Es Su Casa
Part 19 Carnage Asada
Part 20 All the old paintings on the tombs They do the sand dance don't you know?
Part 21 Oh my God, it's Sabotage, I'm Tellin Y'all it's a Mirage
Part 22 Fork Stoker
Part 23 Take 2 Tablets and Call Me in the Morning
Part 24 They call me Gogo I Hit Very Hard, Mimic Me Well and Get a Crystal Shard
Part 25 dRift Compbatible
Part 26 Gilg Amiss
Part 26.5 Last Call
Part 27 The Updates of the Universe are in Chaos

Wind Crystal Jobs
Water Crystal Jobs
Fire Crystal Jobs
Earth Crystal Jobs
Final Jobs

https://www.greatestgamemusic.com/soundtracks/final-fantasy-v-soundtrack-pixel-remaster/ Pixel Remaster OST is here, just scroll down past the "I remember my grandma making these waffles during my christmases in vermont when I was a child of 8. The sacking of Washington DC by the British was still fresh in our minds and raw in our hearts but we had faith...." puffery.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Reserved? May as well.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Part 1 In hindsight I should probably have made this update a little meteor.

Starting the game brings up the game logo on a black and blue background. This whole thing was just Square flexing with Super Nintendo hardware and using Mode7 HDMA transform functions just to do it.

Ahead On Our Way (Pixel Remaster)
When possible I'm including the Pixel Remaster version of the OST, but the source doesn't have the whole OST. I've tried to identify the tracks as either (Pixel Remaster) or (Original), but if I fail to specify it's probably the original track.

Just more flexing, now throwing our hero riding his chocobo while the world parallax scrolls by.

Finally to the actual title menu. Load Game and New Game do what they say. Options lets you map keyboard and controller buttons. Language settings and window sizes are available too.

Extras has a bunch standard issue bonuses. Concept art gallery and music player are available immediately. The game also includes a bestiary that is populated as you progress through the game. Strangely enough this seems to be only available from the main menu, despite it being more useful when actually playing the game.

For those of you playing at home, I am not actively going to demonstrate all the achievements. I will however warn about dungeons that are only available for a limited time and show their treasure locations and enemy formations (Treasure Collection and filling out the Bestiary are the majority of the achievements).

Choosing New Game
Screen fades to black

Opening Theme (Pixel Remaster) (feel free to skip ahead to about 2:30, when things actually do something beyond just dull synths)

The black fades back to Tycoon Castle.

The dragon bleats as the king approaches.

Do you really have to go?

Under no circumstances are you to follow me, do you understand?
But, Father...

I must go to the Wind Shrine to make certain nothing's happened to the crystal.

Definitely concern over the crystal, no worries about the strategic Staff reserve.

Lenna. Don't worry, I'll be fine. Have faith.

As the king flies off we cut to a perfectly legal ship full of legal goods helmed by legal sailors.

The pirate with a unique sprite notices their hair stops flowing in the wind.

Smash cut to a guy in a cave.

Just to break up the string of screenshots, I want to mention that originally I was dreading restarting the screen to get all this. For some reason this whole sequence feels much longer than it does. I suspect its due to how slowly the music track is paced at the beginning, combined with how the whole sequence ignores button inputs progressing text boxes. The whole thing is just a bit longer than 4 minutes until you regain control. FFIV between starting and the big iconic text crawl is much longer.

We now return to our regularly scheduled poo poo losing.

King Tycoon is taking it well.

When possible, Pixel Remaster replaces effects like the crystal shattering or magic spells with particle effects.

We cut to our hero, sitting at the fire in a forest clearing. Apparently shielded enough from the wind that the fact that the wind has stopped isn't causing a reaction.

But something is finally getting a reaction.

The roar of a meteor smashing into the atmosphere is loud enough.

Our hero is camped out just off screen to the left of this image. Tycoon is just to the north.

The meteor crashes and our hero leaps onto his chocobo to check it out.

???? is here to chew bubble gum and beat some Butz, but he's all out of gum.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 18, 2022

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

FeyerbrandX posted:

???? is here to chew bubble gum and beat some Butz, but he's all out of gum.

there is only one acceptable name for ????. don't gently caress this up OP

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Butz Klauser son of Dorgann klauser is here.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
This isn't Butz, it's his twin brother Bortz

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I am a genius-OH NO.png

guysweatingoverpushingbutton.png

I was just going to play legit with Bartz despite my urge to play as the evergreen Bortz name. But if we want a vote for name why not. the hardest part is just progressing through text until I get the wind jobs.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Obviously, we split the difference and go for Burtz.

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

Ernie?

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
I don't hate that as a name for our protagonist. That, or Ernest.

Wait, are there character limits on the name?

Also, I'm glad to see someone LPing this version of FFV. I've been slightly curious about it.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

DeTosh posted:

I don't hate that as a name for our protagonist. That, or Ernest.

Wait, are there character limits on the name?

Also, I'm glad to see someone LPing this version of FFV. I've been slightly curious about it.

12 latin alphabet characters or 6 kana.

Let's put a deadline of Tomorrow 9pm

e: FYI I've crossposted on another forum to bring the joy of FFV to more. Someone voted Blartz... you know what fits?

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 31, 2021

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Butz Butz Butz Butz!!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Seymour Butz is 12 characters long

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Butz Man

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Arse

Xandor TikRoth
Mar 10, 2012

I can definitely help with that

the holy poopacy posted:

Can we do this? We should do this.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

the holy poopacy posted:

Perfect.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Okay. After a night of reflection that might have required a glass of whisky as a makeshift mirror, I will let you all Seymour.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Four Hearts (Pixel Remaster)

Last time we made it through the introduction, today we progress a little plot but mostly talk numbers.

??? is currently a Freelancer, the default non-job job. ??? has above average strength and stamina. Strength means more damage per attack, while stamina is used to calculate max HP and affects HP regen rate. His agility and magic stats are average. Agility affects how quickly turns come up* and magic impacts magic spell potency. Previous games had Spirit/Soul and Intelligence being different factors for white and black, here its one universal stat.

Not on this screen but on the equipment screen is a weight stat, weight is usually a non-factor but heavy equipment would lower agility a point or two. Honestly even without that in mind you're probably going to use light armor or hats. Really only one job would probably end up seeing a weight penalty. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Also not on this page or any page is Magic Evade. Most robes, light headgear and some accessories have Magic Evade.

As far as configuration settings, if you want to change your control scheme its in here at the bottom. Sound settings and closing the game is down off screen as well.
Battle Mode can toggle between Active and Wait. Wait pauses turn order in menus. Battle Speed and Battle Messages toggle between Very Slow, Slow, Normal Fast and Very Fast.
Cursor Memory toggles between off, where every turn the cursor will reset to attack, or on where the cursor remains on the last action the character took.
Continue Auto-battle means that if you end a fight on auto-battle the next fight resumes it without prompting.
Re-Equip toggles between Optimal and Unequip. We'll get to that later.
Graphic Display toggles on and off a fake CRT filter. It fails to be convincing and just looks terrible.

We're automatically riding the chocobo and can't get off. To the north of the forest is a valley without anything in it, so we can only go to check out the impact site.

When we reach this chokepoint ??? leaves Boko and goes the rest of the way on foot.

Boko, wait here, okay?

Hurry! Hurry!! (Original)

Lenna apparently got knocked out from the shockwave from meteorfall and some goblins are there too. Can't let this stand.

The screen shatters into collapsing cubes as the battle starts.

Battle 1 (Pixel Remaster)

Goblins have 16HP, about half of what the sword ??? has equipped at level 1 would do. They get the first attack and both do 4HP of damage.

So let's make it interesting. You can swap out hand equipment in the item menu, I'm going to go bare handed and move to the back row to cut M in half.

What's M? It's a factor used in damage calculations. Unlike previous games where you had multiple attack rolls (still yielding just a single damage number) going up against enemy evade rolls, you get one big attack against a single enemy evade chance.

When both hands are empty an attack is 2 separate punches, meaning this guy has taken 6HP of damage total so it'll take 2 more turns to ki-

These guys are special plot goblins with only 1HP, thank the meteor for the assist in taking the first 15 out.

Lenna's Theme (Pixel Remaster)

Y-yes... I believe so...

Me?

Bartz is the official localized name. In Japan he's... Butz.

I understand the Matrix release let you use some emoji for his name, in here its just normal ASCII.

Seymour Butz... This rock suddenly fell from the sky...

Guess its a meteorite.

Again, I give you my thanks. I wish I could do something more to show my appreciation, but I really must go...

Lenna starts to walk away to find her dad.

Seymour Butz... Did you hear something?

Oohhh...

Sure mystery voice, I'll help you. You're in this chest over here right? (The larger map function is incredibly handy, you can pan around freely on larger maps. So even if you might need to work on finding where a secret passage is, you at least can narrow things down without getting into fights.)

Where am I? Oh... my aching head! Sakes alive... what's happened? I don't remember... Ehh? I can't remember anything!

Oh! Something came back to me... My name is Galuf!

Nope, just the name! Other than that, my memory's completely blank.

Where're you going?
I must go to the Wind Shrine...

It's decided, I'm going with you!
But...

Seymour Butz, what about you?

Please, we've both been in the blast zone of a meteorite slamming down feet away from us, at the very least we should have someone who didn't have a rock fall on them to shove potions in our faces when we fall over again.

Lenna turns back, pleadingly for help, maybe even considering if she should throw out the Royalty card to demand it.

Or maybe she just wants to Seymour Butz.

Instead she just gets on with her job.

Godspeed, and all that whatnot!

The game is kind enough to give you a full heal after general buffoonery. Sorry, no Butz to Seymour of in this picture that I forgot to rescreencap

...Why don't you have a name on your textbox now?

If you haven't seen any of the other Pixel Remaster releases before, one of the big QoL changes they added is diagonal movement. Not shown here since Boko is still outrunning fights but a diagonal step counts as one step. So as time goes on speed runs may be able to use this to cut step count in some map navigation in half.

Well since the meteor is blocking the route to Tycoon, the only thing we can do is follow Lenna and Galuf go back to the valley that didn't have anything before.

Boko throws Seymour Butz from his saddle because Boko does things arbitrarily like a dog or a ghost.

...Now don't you give me that look.

Yeah,I know, the girl and the old man went off together...

So now that Seymour Butz is accepting his fate to protagonize, the world begins falling apart.

Hurry! Hurry!! (Original)

Augh!
Geh!

Wark!

The valley has 2 forced fights with more 1HP goblins. Since I'm not going out of my way to draw attention to them being weaker than they should, Seymour Butz cuts them up rather than punching from the back row.

The first fight is enough to get Seymour Butz a level up. Unlike the first 4 games your core stats are unchanged with leveling, you just gain HP and MP.

And a free hat to boot.**

After the second forced fight Boko scoops Lenna and Galuf up and they speed away from the collapsing goblin valley.

Some time later Seymour Butz just glares south waiting for any more free exp goblins stage a raid.

And jumps down like 20 feet when he realizes Lenna's awake again.

The Day Will Come (Pixel Remaster)

G'morning.
Seymour Butz! It seems I can't escape being in your debt...

Seems like the meteorite's impact caused a few landslides... The road's covered in rubble. I don't think you're gonna be able to make it to Tule this way.

Uhhh... Wind Shrine... gotta hurry...

Oh! Really?

What a sweet talker! As if you don't just have the hots for the little lady.

Maybe a bit harsh but that was an incredibly hammy line.

Wha-you're awake?

Still, if the road's blocked,that makes things a slight more difficult...
Hrm...

Ahead On Our Way (Pixel Remaster)

Right! And we'll find it!

We're dumped back to the world map, but while before the valley ended just behind Boko, the meteor based tectonics that caused the sinkholes*** earlier also opens up this cave.

I don't remember there being a cave here...

Boko, I think this is gonna be a little too dangerous for chocobos. You stay here, okay?

Next time, we get to the Wind Shrine?

*In previous versions agility is basically a static value, to the point where it was crucial to some strategies to maintain a good cadence in inputting commands. Agility here is a bit random.
**While supplies last, offers available to Bartzes and Blartzes only.
***Sinkholes have already been forgotten by the game.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 18, 2022

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Sure is looking very good compared to the PS1 version.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
Funny. A couple of years back I did a test post in the Sandcastle for an FFV LP, but didn't get around to it. I was just seriously thinking of doing it now that I have some extra time and then I see this.

FeyerbrandX posted:

the hardest part is just progressing through text until I get the wind jobs.

Can't your emulator fast forward? I usually bind that to an extra button for this sort of thing.

quote:

drat. I actually DIDN'T want it. But I would have been outvoted anyway, obviously.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

DGM_2 posted:

Funny. A couple of years back I did a test post in the Sandcastle for an FFV LP, but didn't get around to it. I was just seriously thinking of doing it now that I have some extra time and then I see this.

Can't your emulator fast forward? I usually bind that to an extra button for this sort of thing.

drat. I actually DIDN'T want it. But I would have been outvoted anyway, obviously.

For GBA yes, unsure if they've got mods for the pixel remaster for that yet. I found out this morning they've implemented a skip scene mod. But that won't help for getting screenshots.

Some day I will try to deal with Memoria and do some mods for future fiestas, but for now I've just fixed the font.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

No soundtrack links?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

wark

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
Never heard of this Pixel Remaster, but it's relevant to my interests.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

No soundtrack links?

At the moment no, looking through youtube there aren't any, since its been out for months I'm assuming Squenix is killing them. Unsure if they just get purged or if someone decides to be a dick and adds strikes to the takedowns. I'm looking into things (including just posting the original OST) but at the moment no.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Every time I see this thread I think Lenna is going on a public relations tour of the world after some kind of scandal in Tycoon

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

FeyerbrandX posted:

At the moment no, looking through youtube there aren't any, since its been out for months I'm assuming Squenix is killing them. Unsure if they just get purged or if someone decides to be a dick and adds strikes to the takedowns. I'm looking into things (including just posting the original OST) but at the moment no.

Yeah, I used to listen to them via the CalorieGameMusic videos, but they appear to be gone now. =/

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Every time I see this thread I think Lenna is going on a public relations tour of the world after some kind of scandal in Tycoon

Well, she HAS been palling around with a pirate captain...

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Part 3 In which we Tule around

Fate In Haze (Pixel Remaster)

Right off the bat we get another brief tutorial.

And our first random encounter.

I'm not dealing with these guys. One of the main differences between this and previous versions is that in order to flee you need a character with full ATB. Not like previous versions where you just needed to get a turn and use it, you need to hold onto it.

Also of note, the Advance release included a run button, that's carried on through here. Just press cancel and book it.

Looking back at this, I'm trying to think of another recovery spring where you dive in and take a drink. After going in you're fully restored.

Still no time for random encounters. Some day I will fight, but right now I'm more interested in running as much as I can.

On the next screen we weave around a linear path until we come up to this pirate on a ledge.

I'm conflicted between saying how these pirates make genome soldiers look smart, but also incredibly impressed he can turn his head fast enough to move the eye patch from eye to eye without using his hands.

Another tutorial, interact with things that look like you can interact with them.

Despite them not really reworking any other overworld sprites or tiles, they decided to make the skull switch bigger.

Since Seymour Butz didn't get a hat like Paul Blartz or Bartz, he gets one here.

Another winding yet linear room.

I'm trying to keep gifs about the same size as other images. Its incredibly hard for images like this. It doesn't look like much but at a closer look you can see some lighting effects on the lake.

???

Onto the next room. More enemies got to Seymour Butz as I ran.

Pirates Ahoy!

Meaning that ship we just saw must've been a pirate ship!
I wonder if they might give us a ride?

I just wanted to leave the rest of the conversation untranscribed. Part because I think it shows off just how reckless Galuf can be and how quick things escalate. But also to show that in the background the lighting effects are present here in the cove too.

The skull switch over to the left can be pushed to unlock a door, which is being body blocked guarded by a pirate. Even if we could sneak behind him, his snores are so powerful we couldn't get through them.

This pirate is a little bit more alert and is startled awake, but thanks to his break neck head turns flipping his eye patch he doesn't see more Butz.

Onward to progress, up the dock to the ship.

...Well? "Cast off" means start sailing, kid.
I know that! The wheel won't even budge. How do you work this thing?

Another minor quibble. Previous versions had the carved trim on the stern be a bright vivid yellow and red. I always thought it made it go faster than this muted version.

Trying to steal my ship, are you? You've a lot of brass... or mayhap you're just lacking in brains! I'd wager its the latter.
Wait! I am Princess Lenna of Tycoon.

Please accept my apologies for attempting to commandeer your ship.
What? She's a princess...
So the girl's royalty...

Please, allow us the use of your vessel. I must get to the Wind Shrine-my father is in danger!
Oho, the princess of Tycoon, here on my ship? I'm sure we could fetch a tasty sum for this one.

I beg of you, please...

That pendant...
...Toss the lot of 'em into the brig!
Aye aye, Cap'n!

Later, in the laundry brig (No music, only waves)

Look in the mirror, Pops.

And your amnesia oh-so conveniently returns... Still... I can't believe you're really the princess of Tycoon, Lenna!

My father is there.

Yes, yes we know. Why did you go alone? Why aren't you escorted by a battalion... or the honor guard, or at least a high school color guard.

I slipped out of the castle and headed for the shrine, but then that meteorite fell, and... you know the rest.

Meanwhile Captain in the captain's quarters.

Why does the princess of Tycoon have the same pendant as I do?

She said her father's at the Wind Shrine...

The next morning

Pirates Ahoy!

But Cap'n... What about the landlubbers?
Untie 'em.

But... why?

Pull anchor! We sail for the Wind Shrine!

Well!?
Aye... Aye, aye, Cap'n!

Pirates start moving, but I'm unsure why an anchor would be mounted to the crows nest.

But the wind has stopped... How can the ship move?
Full of curiosity, aren't you, lass?

Beautiful, isn't she? Syldra and I were raised together. We're close as siblings. All right, we're off!

Once we get at the mouth of the bay we come back to Faris at the helm.

When the Pixel Remaster first came out, you absolutely wanted to take the Pirate up on his offer. Reason being is that someone failed to disable encounters on the sea or lake or whatever. The issue is that when you're supposed to start fighting water enemies is around level 16. There are no weak water enemies on this map. So a free ride would be welcome.

This has been patched out. So I'm driving and going elsewhere.

Since we have our party assembled now, lets look at our party stats.

Lenna is a little bit faster but has above average magic.

Galuf has strength like Seymour, but higher stamina. He pays for below average agility.

Faris is actually MVP, not only does the Cap'n has above average stats all around. Magic and Stamina are a bit low but still good, and level 3 to boot. Even if I didn't run from every fight so far, Lenna and Galuf would be level 2, Seymour might have reached level 3.

I speak as if these are significant differences. Aside from agility (which since its impact on ATB bar filling is random and therefore less important at the moment) all these mean is a few levels difference between when Lenna and Galuf doing comparable damage with a spell or a sword. Everyone of them are just as viable doing what you want them to do... when you can actually do something other than attack.

To the far west of the lake sea is Tule, the first town. Going here early is not necessary, and I actually blew all my money on things that didn't even matter, but let's just squeeze out some more plot before we can get to when FFV lets you play with jobs.

Tenderness in the Air (Pixel Remaster)

Think I'll stop in and have a drink as well.

Faris leaves the party here.

Welcome to Tule, I've used the in game map to make this one. The red dots are hidden treasures, there's a few more beyond what I marked but the'll be covered in a minute.

The Wind Crystal's Power is amplified by a machine. It lets our ships sail even faster than before! The next liner from Walse really should be arriving any time now...

Be careful, the pub is full of pirates.

Enough NPCs for now,let's talk shop. Magic shops aren't like the NES FFs, you don't need to buy a spell for each caster, don't need to worry about having to wring your hands about if you want AMUT or LOCK as your third spell you'd never cast because the other 2 are that good.

Of course that hinges on having a job that can cast, which I don't. Still I would prefer to invest on something that will be useful for the long haul, rather than something I'm going to sell next town over. I'll explain these at a later time, but documenting that they're here.

I blow all the cash on magic I can't use, in lieu of shields and hats I could.

Someone you know?
Yes. He built the Torna Canal.

Back to NPC chatter.

The beast (sic) in the canal only seems to target women.
There are beasts in the canal that only target women.

Kinda seems like the wind's died down some, don't you think?
I'm training to be a bard. Listen to this!
"Long long ago, in the canal to the east, A big ol' ugly monster was having a feast! It ate lotsa people-53 at least- But the good guys used the crystal, and sealed away the beast! Oh yeah!"
My granddad says he regrets telling me that story now... but you guys liked it, right?

You look a little wet behind the ears... Howzabout I take ya to the Greenhorn's Club?

Nah, not yet.

Oh, so? You'll be back...

Oh, fine

You just led me 30 feet down the path.

AND NOW YOU WANT TO JUST DRAG ME BACK 3 FEET IF I SAY YES AGAIN.

If I'm honest, will you give me a golden axe?

Yeah sure I'm new to this? That other guy? Nah that was someone else. Think he said his name was Dr. Tot or something.

So here's where you pick up the remaining treasures in Tule learn some things about the game.

If your hair suddenly turns white, it means you're aging, and you'll gradually get weaker and weaker.
We're not going to experience this for awhile but when it happens there's few ways to stop it, and no good way to recover until the battle is over.

Try putting mages and other folks with weaker defense in the back row.
A tutorial follows, just go to the menu, press right and double tap confirm on whatever character you want to shift their row.

You can harm ghosts and the undead with recovery magic, such as Cure.
Potions too.

FYI, this version has regular saving (overworld and save points) and quick save, which can be done anywhere. However unlike the US GBA release, quick save and restore does NOT reset the step counter til the next fight. So you can't cheat your way through zones above your pay grade at least through the clunky method of saving and reloading

We don't have jobs, and nothing personal, but I'd rather my chocobo teach me how to do it than you.

Why don't you try having a look-see?
There's another bonus in this version of the game, any crate, pot, bush or barrel that has a treat inside will have a nice red "!" show over Seymour's head. Once he's looted it, it becomes a grey "!".

Thieves can learn the ability "Find Passages." Then they can see secreet passages with no trouble at all!
While Thieves do learn this ability, its also one of their passives. So if you have a thief in the party you'll see it. Now if you want someone else to waste an ability slot on it, then they can do so once they get a thief leveled enough to learn it.

On the second floor we learn about numbers (white is damage, green is healing), how to escape (hold L&R, but not all encounters can be fled), how not to die (heal with potions or magic when you're low on HP), Active and Wait modes which I already mentioned, and a present.

A free knife sharpener? You shouldn't have!

Okay, just one last push and we can get back to the Wind Shrine. Let's go back to the bar with the pirates.

Huh... If ya look real close, yer a fetching lass, Lenna!
The captain's upstairs.
Take a load off and drink up!
Sorry, there's nothing left... Those pirates drank the house dry!
Captain... So dreamy...
We're only helpin' ya 'coz the can'n ordered, so don't be gettin' the wrong idea!
That pirate boss went upstairs.
Why don't you have a seat? Just keep your eyes on me... Tee-hee-hee!
Mm... For you, honey, we've got something special!

I'm A Dancer

And so Seymour Butz got a lap dance from three dancers, or maybe one dancer and Galuf and Lenna got one each of their own. No further comment, they just spin on the stool while we're still in the bar. But that means we can get on the stage!

Please, just scooch down 2 more pixels, so that you can wallow in shame alone.

Piano Lesson 1

This will matter several hours from now, and thankfully all other pianos are unguarded.

Last call for plot! The bartender said Faris is upstairs so let's wrap up the "Talk to Everyone" pro tip from Nintendo Power.

What? (Original)

Faris just stirs in bed.

Seymour Butz, what've you got that goofy look on your face for?
Uh... What do you mean? Must've been a trick of the light or something...

What in the world are you to going on about?

Now shove off! I need some time to myself.

I wasn't trying to escape, you just said you wanted some time for yourself, we thought maybe throwing Galuf and Seymour in the sea lake and make them swim to the Wind Shrine ahead of time would cool them off.

And with that, we can finally go to the Wind Shrine next time.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 18, 2022

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

FeyerbrandX posted:

We're not going to experience this for awhile but when it happens there's few ways to stop it, and no good way to recover until the battle is over.

The old man's line is missing here.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks, corrected.

Here's the line for reference:

If your hair suddenly turns white, it means you're aging, and you'll gradually get weaker and weaker.

Xandor TikRoth
Mar 10, 2012

FeyerbrandX posted:

We don't have jobs, and if I nothing personal, but I'd rather my chocobo teach me than you.

Not exactly sure what this is supposed to read, but I think it's missing a word.

I love the Pixel Remasters so far. I've only actually played FF1PM, but I've watched a few others being played. The graphic style is bomb and the water effects are gorgeous.

Also, I love the characterization in this game, and it holds up pretty well today.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Breath of Fire rather famously has a recovery spring that lets you fill up a WtrJr. You can even come back later once you get the Gills and go for a swim.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Part 4 I'm blue daba dee da ba di

The Real Final Fantasy V Starts HereTM

The route to the Wind Shrine is heading west from Tule.

Along the way we see this forest with some standing stones. We can't see the northwest edge of this forest, but something seems off, my sense of symmetry is offended.

Further west of Tule is the canal.

We can't proceed through now.

North of the canal is the Wind Shrine, hundreds of pictures and thousands of words to get here.

Sealed Away (Pixel Remaster)

As we enter we see some guys in the left room, they recognize Lenna at least.

What's happened? Is everything alright?
The wind suddenly stopped, and now monsters have overrun the shrine!

The king went up to the top floor... He has yet to return.
Something must have happened to him...

Faris... You're right! Come on!

When those monsters overran the shrine, we fled to this room and haven't been able to leave...

The Chancellor is lying, this whole floor has no random encounters. I think his Vizier is showing and he's plotting a coup.

King Tycoon went up to the top floor to check on the crystal... but that was some time ago...
The crystal upstairs is controlled by a machine that amplifies its power.
The crystal amplification machine suddenly stopped responding...
Princess, please take these with you.

Please... be careful.
Drink the water to restore your energy.

On the second floor we start getting into fights, I mean flights. I'm about to start throwing hands, but not against this guy.

Here is our first save point, for reference, tents revive and heal 1000HP and 100MP, while a cottage is a full cure.

I think I took this fight, just because Black Goblins have a chance to drop Leather Shoes, an accessory that boosts defense. Right now the accessory slot is empty so the defense can't hurt.

This is the third floor of five. Pictured here is a shortcut. If this isn't taken you'd have to go all the way up, around the back and circle back here anyway. The door on the right leads to an empty room, the one one step away has treasure. FYI there is another chest on this screen in the lower right corner, but you reach that from a second set of stairs on the second floor.

With this Galuf gets a weapon and everyone is equipped. Lenna has a measly knife, but its good enough for now.

I definitely take this fight, the Moldwynd is an important but dangerous enemy. Right now I can't make full use of one, but for now they're an easy source of Elixirs, their rare drop. Rare drops in this game are a 1/16 chance, which can translate into "2 rare drops in 2 fights" or "5 hours for 4."

We step up to the bird, since the only other bird sprite we've met is a friend, so this has to be one too.

The Fierce Battle (Pixel Remaster)

This is the first track where I'm upset that Square is being dicks about the music, the Remaster includes some strings and a trumpet to really make it pop.

What follows is a demonstration of how not to fight the obligatory Introductory Enemy Might Have Fancy Combat Scripts boss fight.

Step 1, turn on auto battle when everyone is at low level (Even if you have the "continue auto battle" option selected, the game turns it off for boss fights). The fight is balanced so that Wing Raptor has about 9 attacks worth of HP unless you've grinded. He'll switch to his defensive stance around your 8th attack, meaning you have to interact with his gimmick.

His gimmick is using !Guard, which negates all physical damage to 0.

You get a battle message warning saying you fricked it, and then the claws come out.

Requiem (Original)
welp

The main reason for this demonstration wasn't about how to choke on the tutorial boss, but to show how kind autosave is. Every screen transition is an autosave, meaning I'm right outside the Broad Sword treasure room.

The Fierce Battle (Pixel Remaster)

Now let's deal with him seriously. Breath Wing is a full party attack, its wind elemental as you might guess from the attack animation and the name.

The damage doesn't look that bad; its about half of his Claw counter. But its hiding something insidious. It deals 25% of each characters max HP, rounded down.

Wing Raptor does goes through the defensive phase again. Now if you're playing at home, be aware that as soon as he drops his guard he does still attack that turn, so if you've decided that hearing from me that he doesn't have enough health to survive the next attack to forgo healing while his tail is up, he might snipe you with a breath wing and take you down before you can do the same to him.

Victory Fanfare (Original)

One last thing: bosses don't give exp, so if you were so inclined, you can beat the game at very low levels.

This is the last enemy in the dungeon. There's nothing of interest so they too get fled from.

I see you out there, I know you're typing. So are several other goons. This is a hidden passage, but once you step into the hidden part the whole path appears in the Pixel Remaster. Previous versions of the game would make you fumble blindly in the darkness if you didn't have a thief.

Up the last flight of stairs and we reach the Crystal chamber.

The Prelude (Pixel Remaster)

It's shattered!
What the-

The camera pans to the west.

The fire crystal is surrounded by a smoldering flame, then a burst of fire erupts from the tip.

Faris takes a hadoken from half the world away.

Now we pan to the east.

The crystal is bubbling, and then releases a blast of water.

This one is aimed at Lenna.

Finally, to the south west.

We see the earth crystal in a fancier larger chamber and it too blows chunks of rock.

For Galuf.

Finally the minty fresh dying essence of the wind crystal comes to Seymour Butz.

What's happening?
Feel's warm...
Are these the crystals'... essences?
Le...nna...

Father!

Listen, and listen well. You are the chosen four, the warriors of light... bearers of the four crystal essences.

The wind crystal has already shattered. The other three crystals are in danger as well. You four must protect them! An evil presence is awakening... One that wishes to return everything to darkness...

Go forth, warriors of light, and save the crystals...
Wait! No, Father!!!

While this might be a place where I'd put in a gif, there wouldn't be much to it. The crystals yeet immediately from the far edges of the room to surrounding the party.

What are these?
Guess they're pieces of the crystal...

Knight... Monk... Blue Mage... Thief... Black Mage... White Mage...

The crystal... It's lending us its power...
I think it's time we got out of here.
Lenna...

The panel would take us out, but it would also bring Boko to ask if I wanted a tutorial. I could just say no and go back to the overworld, but there are important things to do and can show how to deal with jobs along the way.

Step 1 - select Job from the menu
Step 2 - pick your job
Step 3 - pick what you want to be in your open ability slot
Step 4 - fiddle with equipment.

I'll explain each job in more detail in a side update, for now everyone being Blue Mages because they have work to do.

Sealed Away (Pixel Remaster)

Blue Mages don't get their abilities from shops like white or black mages, they get theirs from getting hit by it. For example, Goblins have Goblin Punch, getting punched by Goblin Punch by a Goblin teaches you Goblin Punch once you beat the fight.

Moldwynds after a few turns may cast Aero. Aero is painful. It's death at these levels.

I prop Faris back up, not because the target needs to be alive at the end of the fight, just because I want everyone alive. Then I start throwing hands.

Goblin Punch is effectively the Attack Command in spell form. Being a spell it can be used to full effect in the back row, and for 0MP to boot. It also does bonus damage if the target is the same level as the caster.

And now Aero is ours. :toot:

The other reason to stay in the Wind Shrine is the 43rd Tycoon Expeditionary Nerd Force has updated their dialog.

Sir, while I doubt that would work, I would think that praying at the top floor, or maybe outside would be more useful. I doubt that Wind Shrine Conference Room A has any particular benefit to prayer.

Wait a second... how did these scholars get here? Did they commandeer a row boat?

Princess Lenna... The Wind is becoming weaker and weaker...

Which means that you've been outside, you've braved the encounterless lobby to go stick your finger in the air and managed to come back in and lived to tell the tale. Bravo Jaffar.

Even here, the wind grows ever weaker... If it were to stop completely, then what?

You are the worst scholar ever. By the end of this update Lenna will tell us.

Perhaps the amplification machine overloaded the crystal, and that's why it cracked.

You, you need to keep away from that guy on the other side of the room. The stupid might be infectious.

The crystals in Walse and Karnak are hooked up to the same type of amplification machines...

We saw this when they were spewing us with their essences. No mention of the Earth Crystal here though but it definitely had the same type of dais rig.

If the other three crystals were to shatter as well, then... Oh dear...

Well that was about equal parts concerning and incompetent. There's nothing left to do in the Wind Shrine, we need to go back to Tule, we walked by the house of the guy who built the canal, maybe he can get us through so we can deal with our next lead (Walse has the water crystal supercharged too and its accessible through the canal since there's trade ships between here and there).

Zok! It is good to see you.
You too. It's been a long time.
Zok... I have a favor to ask. We need to pass through the Torna Canal so we can reach Walse.

Moreover... I-I seem to have lost the key to the canal somewhere... I'm sorry I can't help you with the key. Still since you've come all this way, won't you at least stay the night?

A free night stay? This means only one thing... we're on the right path for plot progression!

*Nods*
Wonderful! I'll show you to your room.

Galuf, Lenna and Seymour Butz go to sleep, but Seymour wakes up in the middle of the night and wanders out.

Ambient Night Sounds

My Home, Sweet Home (Pixel Remaster)

Seymour Butz is the little kid in bed, for some reason they don't give his mom and dad name plates despite the fact the Pixel Remaster deemed his mom important enough to have a special palette for the woman sprite (baby Butz also has one too, originally he had the default teal colored hair for the kid sprite). His dad is Dorgan and his mom is Stella.

Listen, Stella... If anything should happen to me, never tell Seymour Butz about the crystals... They shouldn't be his burden to bear.
Oh, darling, please don't say things like that...

We cut back to Zok looming over Lenna. He walks out to Seymour Butz.

I thought that was normally a good thing, not something to be worrie- oh, his name, yeah.

Nothing... I just was reminded of my folks... They died a while back,though...
...Here. Take it.
Huh? Take what?
The key to the canal. With it, you can open the gate and travel to Walse.

Please! Take care of her!

The three meet back up in the morning.

And like last time Faris comes back out when we try to leave.

Pirates Ahoy!

Sorry, lads. I'm leaving you laggards behind.

Cap'n! But why!? You know we'd follow ye to the ends o' the earth!

Cap'n!!!

We gotta help Seymour Butz while you watch the booty.

But, Cap'n!

Aye aye, sir! Wind at your back, Cap'n. Godspeed!

And so the pirate crew swim back to their hideout I guess. It's time for more plot so they'll have plenty of time to get there before we set sail.

The wind crystal has shattered... Right now, the wind has only slowed... but soon it will stop blowing completely.

Father said that we have to protect the three remaining crystals.
...Three crystals?

I'll give this one a pass since as far as Seymour is concerned, there's only 2 other crystals in the hands of humans right now.

Yes, the crystals of fire, water, and earth.

But it wouldn't be very long before the earth began to decay...

Guys! We've gotta protect the crystals!
Huh? Did something trigger any of your memories?

Just like before when Galuf's first idea was "steal from a pirate," Galuf's plans are straight forward and only mostly completely reckless.

Well said, old man. I'm coming along too. Besides, we still have to find Lenna's father.

He still lives, I feel it in my bones! Never for a moment believe otherwise!
Seymour Butz... Will you come with us?

So right now Lenna knows things will get a lot worse if the crystals break. Galuf half remembers his wish to protect the crystals (and even if he didn't Lenna's description of the future would probably be enough to convince him), and Faris just wants to find out about why Lenna has the same jewelry. While Seymour...

But things changed...
The crystal shard, it...
We were given power to protect the world... The power of the wind crystal...

We've got some crystals to save!
Sure enough! Let's be off!

So while we do have a goal in mind in going through the canal, we did sort of leave our boon companion Boko out in the middle of nowhere.

Don't tell me he tried to go after us...

Well there was two other reasons besides checking up on Boko, the first is throwing down with bats.

Anyone whose played FFIV might be twitching in rage right now.

Anyone whose played FFV Advance will be disappointed. Vampire is a Blue Magic, as you can see, but it's less potent than in that release, where it was bugged. In this game (and all other releases) Vampire did damage equal to your lost HP and heals half of that. In Advance it was a full heal, just like the Ings LifeShaver in FFVI.

The second reason is to loot the booty Faris sent the pirates home to guard.

We put that kwehin' bird to bed, an' be attendin' to its wounds.
Cap'n! Take these with ye!

Pirates are 60% better than scholars.

Safe journey!
Never ye fear. We'll protect the hideout!

Even if they're better than scholars in charity they're still terrible at their jobs.

Never ye fear. We'll protect the hideout! We dound some strange bird lyin' in the cave. Wonder how it'd taste...

Hrmmmmm Cap'n.

drat he's really feeling bad if he's making that horrible sound.

Oh! He's been hurt!

Lenna's primary characterization is "loves animals" though all we've heard is "FATHER!" from her, that quickly falls away. There's one other driving motivation of Lenna too, we'll get to that shortly.

I didn't do gifs of either of these guys, but both this guy and Zok just randomly decide they need to jump.

Please, if you can help him...

Boko... Get better soon, buddy!

He just needs some rest, then he'll be right as rain!
Ugh... I'm a pirate, but I still get seasick.
Arr! We be pirates, an' we do as we please!

Like getting seasick.

Those quakes must've opened up a path to our cove from outside.
We'll hold down the fort while the captain's away!
Cap'n... I...I l-l-love... ye...

To end on a high note, let's go back to their barracks before we wrap up.

Now in previous versions of the game, things were very very slightly different:

That wall? Completely barren.

Now its got a little world map tacked onto it, a nice touch for them. Even if it'd be better for them to have a more precise chart of the lake seas of Tule and Walse.

Join me next time when we have an update that is probably only 40% or less plot by volume!

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 18, 2022

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Wind Crystal Jobs

Knight

Knights offer high strength and health at the cost of their magic stat. They can equip the heaviest armors and shiniest swords. Their secondary ability is !Guard, which we saw from Wing Raptor as being able to block all physical damage. As a passive ability they share Paladin Cecil's Cover ability, which causes the Knight to block physical attacks for any allies in critical HP.

If you're aware of what enemies lack magic abilities (or can force them to lack them), then a team with a knight !Guarding is unbeatable.

Learned Skills

Cover (10 ABP)
Takes a hit for an ally in critical health.

!Guard (30 ABP)
Negates physical damage while active.

Two-Handed (50 ABP)
When assigned will allow user to equip a weapon in both hands in lieu of shield. Doubles M factor for Attack. (Imparts Knight's Strength Stat to user)

Equip Shield (100 ABP)
When assigned user can equip a shield.

Equip Armor (150 ABP)
cntl-c, cntl-v above, but for heavy armor.

Equip Sword (350 ABP)
Says it on the tin. Note that it says Swords, this does not include Knight Swords.

Worth mastering? (This assumes casual play, if you're getting all cheevos you have to do this on at least one person. If you're playing by Fiesta rules you'll probably master Knight as well)
No, Cover, !Guard and Two-Handed are all the abilities you need from Knight, maybe Equip Shield in some edge case I can't think of right now.

Monk

Monks offer even more strength and health than Knights, their magic stat is worse and they are limited to light armor. Monks have innate counter attack. Their secondary ability is !Kick, which has gotten a large buff from previous versions as it now does full damage to all targets.

Monks are extremely viable in the early game, but as enemies start having a defense stat fists lose their punch. Fists are able to crit, but not consistently enough to overcome this handicap.

Learned Skills

!Focus (15 ABP)
!Focus delays the users action to deliver a double damage attack a turn later.

Barehanded (30 ABP)
Grants Monk strength to the user and gives the Monk's better attack calculation for unarmed combat. User can still equip weapons and benefit from the strength of the Monk job.

!Chakra (45 ABP)
Wastes an ability slot to heal some HP and cure poison and blind.

Counter (60 ABP)
Allows user the chance to counter a physical hit.

HP+10% (100 ABP)
Increases user's Max HP by 10%

HP+20% (150 ABP)
20% increase in Max HP

HP+30% (300 ABP)
I think this is the last time I need to just make up a third way to imply how shallow it is to just copy and paste an ability 3 times and call it a day.

Worth mastering?
If you want to maximize your stats come endgame, yes. Otherwise no.

Thief

Thieves offer great speed and offer some nice quality of life passives under their belt. Their secondary ability is steal which attempts to take an item from the enemy.

While using a Thief, Find Passages, Vigilance, and Sprint are in effect.

Learned Skills

Find Passages (10 ABP)
Allows a non-thief to see hidden passages.

!Flee (!Scram) (20 ABP)
When used will immediately escape from any battle you can escape from.

Sprint (30 ABP)
Passively doubles move speed, stacks with auto run.

!Steal (50 ABP)
Grants user the command to steal.

Vigilance (75 ABP)
Prevents party from being back attacked.

!Mug (150 ABP)
Grants user the ability to attack and steal in the same turn.

Artful Dodger (300 ABP)
Grants user the Thieves agility stat.

Worth mastering?
Yes, one person should master thief. !Flee, Vigilance and !Mug will have use throughout the game. Artful Dodger is a pretty lousy capstone that will probably never see any use outside of a Berserker in a Fiesta party with 0 synergy (Thief, Berserker, Geomancer, Dragoon or Chemist).

Blue Mage

The Final Fantasy debut of "get punched with fancy attacks to learn them for yourself" class. Blue mage gains Magic at the expense of some strength. That lower strength isn't very obvious since they can equip swords, shields and medium weight armor. They have Learning as a passive and their signature !Blue Magic as their secondary.

Blue Mage is worth as much as you want to invest into getting it. With foreknowledge of where to get spells and when to use them Blue Magic will constantly find a spot in the party.

Learned Skills

!Check (10 ABP)
Waste an ability slot to use an extremely limited Libra when you could just equip !White1 to do that and cure.

!Learning (20 ABP)
Allows a different class to learn blue magic.

!Blue Magic (70 ABP)
Allows other jobs the Blue Magic command.

!Scan (250 ABP)
Waste an ability slot to use Libra when you could just equip !White1.

Worth mastering?
No, all you want or need is Learning and !Blue Magic

White Mage

The go-to class for keeping the party standing. As the game goes on, they will wield spells to recover from damage, spells to reduce damage or heal status effects.

Learned Skills

!White1 (10 ABP)
Allows user to cast Cure, Libra and Poisona. Grants a fraction of White Mage's Magic Stat boost, if greater than user's current stat.

!White2 (20 ABP)
Allows user to cast the above spells, plus Silence, Protect, Mini. Grants a larger fraction of the White Mage's magic stat.

!White3 (30 ABP)
Allows user to cast the above spells, plus Cura, Raise and Confuse. Grants half of the White Mage's magic stat.

!White4 (50 ABP)
Allows user to cast the above spells, plus Blink, Shell and Esuna. Grants more of the White Mage's magic stat.

!White5 (70 ABP)
Allows user to cast the above spells, plus Curaga, Reflect and Berserk. Grants most of the White Mage's magic stat.

!White6 (100 ABP)
Can cast the full White Magic spell list. Grants user the full White Mage magic stat.

MP+10% (300 ABP)
Gives user 10% greater Max MP.

Worth mastering?
No, !White6 is enough.

Black Mage

The class to use to pressure enemies with status effects and leverage elemental weaknesses.

Learned Skills

!Black1 (10 ABP)
Allows user to cast Fire, Blizzard and Thunder. Grants a fraction of the Black Mage's Magic stat, if greater than the user's current stat.

!Black2 (20 ABP)
Allows user to cast the above, plus Poison, Sleep and Toad. Grants a larger portion of the Black Mage's magic stat.

!Black3 (30 ABP)
Allows user to cast the above, plus Fira, Blizzara,and Thundara. Grants the user half of the Black Mage's magic stat.

!Black4 (50 ABP)
Allows user to cast the above, plus Bio, Drain and Break. Grants more of the Black Mage's magic stat.

!Black5 (70 ABP)
Allows user to cast the above, plus Firaga, Blizzaga and Thundaga. Grants most of the Black Mage's magic stat.

!Black6 (100 ABP)
Can cast the full Black Magic spell list. Grants the user the full Black Mage magic stat.

MP+30% (450 ABP)
Gives user 30% greater Max MP.

Worth mastering?
Probably not, The only job that might want MP+30% instead of just casting Black Magic would be Summoner, maybe Time Mage to stretch their mana for one more cast of quick. At least for the ABP cost you'd get a better return for 50% more APB for 300% more MP.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 16, 2022

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Monk's worth gaining enough job levels of just for my favorite early-game character, "a White Mage who can fist fight just as good as a Monk."

Xandor TikRoth
Mar 10, 2012

I normally slap Barehanded on my Blue Mage. That way I don't have to worry about equipment all that much.

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
It's good to finally know how Goblin Punch works.

FeyerbrandX posted:

Monks offer even more strength and health than Knights, their magic stat is worse and they are limited to light armor. Monks have innate counter attack. Their secondary ability is !Kick, which has gotten a large buff from previous versions as it now does full damage to all targets.

Also, heck yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Kick is great and it's really weird they went with not one, not two, but three hp+ passives instead of letting a different class use it.