Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Reichhardt 7 hours ago | prev | next [–]

Airbnb should also provide a breakdown on the frequency of incidents (eg. damage, theft, parties, noise complaints) by guest ethnicity.

Hosts discriminate because these kind of problems are associated with young African-American renters.

You can see the raw statistics here: https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2018/crime-in-the-u.s.-...

African-Americans are responsible for approximately 3x more relevant criminal activity (eg. Theft, Arson, Property Damage) than their population level in the USA (12.6%).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

mystes posted:

Reichhard

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

suction 2 hours ago | prev | next [–]

As a European, I can't help but cringe at people who try to argue that the themes in Korean and Japanese shows and movies are universally valid for the rest of the world.
That doesn't mean it's not interesting to see how these cultures which are still held back by post-feudalist structures and mindsets as well as confucianism lead to artistic expressions and (regrettably, extremely opaque) criticism. It's very well done.
But at the same time, we always have to hear about how modern and advanced East Asia is, and how much better at everything, when they still are struggling with basic human rights and de-facto castes, while Europeans took it in their hands to deal with those problems as early as 1789. Even 232 years later, Korea and Japan still have only made changes on the surface to be more presentable business partners to the West, while leaving the power structures in place. In Japan, a country considered by many as quasi-Western and on par or ahead of the EU and US, organised crime is a legal pillar of society simply for the fact that it has always been that way.
Until the Japanese and Koreans bring out the guillotines and finally get rid of the old untouchable families that run their societies (politics, economics, and everything else), I can't see their entertainment as much more than opiate for the masses. It's an interesting insight into the struggles of those societies, but nothing it can tell us should be new or surprising for inhabitants of the enlightened parts of this planet.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

RyEgswuCsn 16 minutes ago | parent | prev | next [–]

> to be more presentable business partners to the West
It's interesting how you expect Korea and Japan to be "presentable" to the West, as if there exists a power relationship between the East and the West.
Perhaps they could just be themselves and the West should accept different cultures uphold different values?

mystes
May 31, 2006

That whole thread is just amazingly bad, wow. There's also this post which is amusingly taking a diametrically opposed, but equally dumb, point of view:

justicezyx 6 hours ago | prev [–]

I am not sure SK TV taking over the world signals much:

SK TV are essentially Hollywood TV casted with SK people. If you watch Squid Game, and you think that SK people would think and behave like what the TV shows, then you would be wrong.

This essentially is hollywood transfers its manufacturing capacity to SK, just like American industry transfers its manufacturing capacity to China.

It's not SK tv took over the world. It's SK tv production get integrated into Hollywood entertainment market.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

fritz posted:

suction 2 hours ago | prev | next [–]

As a European, I can't help but cringe at people who try to argue that the themes in Korean and Japanese shows and movies are universally valid for the rest of the world.

oh my god

it is too much to hope that this is satire, but it’s brilliantly on the nose

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

There was an IQ thread that's since fallen to the third page (#69 lolz) and man that's just shooting fish in a barrel

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I am willing to bet good money that it is not satire or troll.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Maximo Roboto posted:

There was an IQ thread that's since fallen to the third page (#69 lolz) and man that's just shooting fish in a barrel
That's one of those threads where I see the title and I'm just like "nah I'm not even opening this because it will just make me angry."

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

mystes posted:

That's one of those threads where I see the title and I'm just like "nah I'm not even opening this because it will just make me angry."

you’ll never make it as a cspam star with that attitude!!!

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

mystes posted:

Reichhardt 7 hours ago | prev | next [–]

Airbnb should also provide a breakdown on the frequency of incidents (eg. damage, theft, parties, noise complaints) by guest ethnicity.

Hosts discriminate because these kind of problems are associated with young African-American renters.

You can see the raw statistics here: https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2018/crime-in-the-u.s.-...

African-Americans are responsible for approximately 3x more relevant criminal activity (eg. Theft, Arson, Property Damage) than their population level in the USA (12.6%).

The demographic most likely to destroy your rental house is firefighters.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
from my internet research, bored and horny stepsiblings are most likely to wreck your home

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Traffic Twofer!

rayiner 1 hour ago | root | parent | next [–]

I grew up in Northern VA. Public transit here is a solution looking for a problem. The job centers and commercial are too spread out for public transit to make any sense. Most of the population and jobs in the DC metro area aren’t in DC but spread around in Tysons, Loudoun, Reston, Arlington, Bethesda, etc. The state spent billions building the Silver line out to Tysons, Reston, and Loudoun, and ridership was disappointing even before COVID. (And it’s approximately zero now.) In a traditional hub-and-spoke city like Chicago, heavy rail can bring tons of commuters down to where the jobs are in the core. But when the jobs are spread out all over the spokes, that model breaks down. It’s impossible to take Metro to Reston from most of the surrounding residential areas (all the ones except the narrow slice on the Silver line itself). And it’s a huge pain in the rear end to do the spoke-hub-spoke commute and take Metro from a different suburb to Reston. And for married couples, it’s a real roll of the dice whether both your jobs will be easily accessible via Metro.
Rail transit is an anachronism, best suited for the 1950s when life involved a woman staying home with the kids while dad took the train into the city for work. I did that for a year before my wife started her job and it was lovely (took Metro North down from Westchester to Manhattan every day). But in a modern family with two jobs in two locations, plus kids with daycare and school and after school activities, it’s not scalable.

My wife and I are “city people.” We really tried to scale the transit lifestyle. We lived in downtown Baltimore for two years and took Amtrak to work each day. We lived in downtown DC and took Metro. We’ve commutes in the Silver line, Orange line, Blue line, MARC, etc. And every year the service got worse, and every time we had another kid the equation got harder to balance. Eventually we threw in the towel, moved to a red county, and bought an SUV that gets 13 mpg. And we’ve never looked back.

You want to know what the future of America looks like? Go to the Dallas suburbs. That’s where all the immigrants with kids are, and where the next generation of Americans are being raised. It’s a glorious place. And it doesn’t involve public transit.

whatshisface 1 hour ago

I've never understood how inducing demand doesn't count as success. That means people want to use the road, doesn't it? It's almost like saying that releasing new software doesn't do anything to help users, because it increases the demand for software by the virtue of its own utility more than it reduces the demand for software by keeping people busy.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

i spent several years living and working in nova and transit was useless to me for just the reason described: i lived in a spoke and needed to commute to another spoke. dont know how you conclude "transit doesn't work" from that though. especially commuting baltimore to reston, thats gonna be hellish no matter what lol. "i keep pounding myself in the dick with this hammer, clearly the age of hand tools is over"

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
yeah, that’s a lovely commute even by car with no traffic. at some point you gotta admit you don’t really live in that area and need to move if you really want that job

mystes
May 31, 2006

Weird how other countries that actually, you know, build more trains don't have the same hub and spoke problem

When you build zero trains you don't get to say "wow trains must suck because I can't get anywhere with them".

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

rjmccall posted:

yeah, that’s a lovely commute even by car with no traffic. at some point you gotta admit you don’t really live in that area and need to move if you really want that job

Google says it's 1h 10m, is that realistic?

I had a 50-55m commute by car for a few years and it was tolerable, although not great and I moved as soon as I could afford it. But I'm a wimpy train-loving European, I thought Americans were used to driving a lot more.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

NihilCredo posted:

On a good day, but many days will not be good.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Every ten minutes you spend on your daily commute adds up to literally 40 hours over the course of a year. Time that loving sucks and you don't get paid for.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

"women stay at home" or "13mpg SUV" truly these are the only two possible answers to "how do I get to work?"

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

adventured 13 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

Eastern Europeans are, broadly, in the group that particularly like Americans, along with South Korea, Japan, the Philippines, Vietnam and with an even split in Latin America, Britain and India.
The Western Europeans are too far removed from being saved from mass starvation (post WW1) and Nazi domination, to be glad the US superpower exists. Whereas the Eastern Europeans are reminded frequently that Russia is on their doorstep and always eager for new territory (see: Russia presently seeking to re-conquer Belarus, Moldova and Ukraine); and the Eastern Europeans know the US is the sole country on the planet willing and able to try to stop that expansion.
Japan and Vietnam are glad the US exists as a bulwark against China. South Korea is glad the US exists as a bulwark against China and North Korea.
The populations that live in former great power nations often resent Americans so commonly for an obvious reason (which they'll also deny): they view themselves as superior, and yet they're de facto ruled by the US. The former great powers of Europe are all faux elitist, snobbish nations culturally - they're hasbeens globally, fading in consequence. Eastern Europeans do not behave that way culturally. That conflict of positions spurs endless resentment in direct proportion to the held belief of superiority.
So for example the Italians like Americans a lot more than Germans do, because the Germans are drastically more arrogant about their position in the world as a powerful nation today, and drastically more arrogant in how they view themselves versus other peoples. The same is true for France. Italy is less arrogant about its present world power status and it presents a lot less of a conflict with the US position as a superpower.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

fritz posted:

adventured 13 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

Eastern Europeans are, broadly, in the group that particularly like Americans, along with South Korea, Japan, the Philippines, Vietnam and with an even split in Latin America, Britain and India.
The Western Europeans are too far removed from being saved from mass starvation (post WW1) and Nazi domination, to be glad the US superpower exists. Whereas the Eastern Europeans are reminded frequently that Russia is on their doorstep and always eager for new territory (see: Russia presently seeking to re-conquer Belarus, Moldova and Ukraine); and the Eastern Europeans know the US is the sole country on the planet willing and able to try to stop that expansion.
Japan and Vietnam are glad the US exists as a bulwark against China. South Korea is glad the US exists as a bulwark against China and North Korea.
The populations that live in former great power nations often resent Americans so commonly for an obvious reason (which they'll also deny): they view themselves as superior, and yet they're de facto ruled by the US. The former great powers of Europe are all faux elitist, snobbish nations culturally - they're hasbeens globally, fading in consequence. Eastern Europeans do not behave that way culturally. That conflict of positions spurs endless resentment in direct proportion to the held belief of superiority.
So for example the Italians like Americans a lot more than Germans do, because the Germans are drastically more arrogant about their position in the world as a powerful nation today, and drastically more arrogant in how they view themselves versus other peoples. The same is true for France. Italy is less arrogant about its present world power status and it presents a lot less of a conflict with the US position as a superpower.

i mean i would say that eastern europeans *have* to be publicly liking americans and whatever other western powers in order to be seen as worthy to be allowed in economic/military partnerships such as the EU and NATO.

i imagine it's pretty much true around the world - people kiss the rear end of the biggest bully in the room, both because this status quo is at least somewhat beneficial compared to arbitrarily getting invaded or couped

but i feel that's not what the op had in mind here, which is: you poors should be happy america is the world police

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

I had a 50-55m commute by car for a few years and it was tolerable, although not great and I moved as soon as I could afford it. But I'm a wimpy train-loving European, I thought Americans were used to driving a lot more.

double that if you leave at the wrong time of day. the capital beltway is hellish during rush hour. so if you want to live in baltimore and work 9-5 in reston plan on spending 20 hours a week commuting

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If you work somewhere near one of the Metro stations in Reston you could theoretically take a commuter train from Baltimore to DC and then take the Metro out to Reston. It's not faster but you're not driving and could do some work on the trains.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

if im working on the goddamn train then i better be starting my commute after 9 am

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Enderzero posted:

It's almost like saying that releasing new software doesn't do anything to help users

:kiss:

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Nomnom Cookie posted:

if im working on the goddamn train then i better be starting my commute after 9 am

what does that mean? are you working during your drive to work now?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Penisface posted:

i don't work for free

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Jabor posted:

i don't work for free

i get that, but does it mean that [the abstract] you spend hours per day in your car zooming in to meetings or what?

does it mean that the typical workday is something like:
8am clock in and start driving to the office, think work thoughts or attend a call or something
9am arrive at the office
12pm lunch
13pm back
3pm start driving back home, thinking work thoughts again
4pm clock out

its just that i haven't heard of any employer being ok with this, c levels with personal drivers excepted of course
that's like 10 working hours per week spent on meetings or something

not to mention that you should in theory be fully concentrated on driving, not arguing about work bullshit at the same time

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i would simply never ever work at a place where i had a one-hour car commute each way every day. life is too short for that.

i also would not work at a place that cares more about tallying exactly how many hours your butt is in your chair than they do about what you actually accomplish in that time.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

nradov 27 minutes ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

Yes some sanctions would be a good idea. We hoped that opening up trade with Russia and China would help them transform into free-market democracies. But that approach has failed so it's time to return to the Cold War policy of containment. Work with our asked to keep our adversaries as weak and isolated as possible.
Besides sanctions, we should also seek to undermine and delegitimize those governments by supporting dissident movements and other covert actions.

ericmay 5 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

Don’t bother wasting your time. These trolls just want to make you hate yourself and your country. Of course it’s your fault comrade, if you didn’t buy caviar from Russia then they wouldn’t have to invade Ukraine to feed the workers who make the caviar. It’s always your fault nobody else’s.
The goal with these sorts of comments is to try and get liberal democracies to stop engaging in the rest of the world. If you keep getting told it’s your fault eventually you say “fine I’m done” and then that’s when they win.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

bg721 8 hours ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

If pants had been invented in 2018 in order to cure horniness, I'd treat them with the same gravitas that I give to graham crackers. One person's "set in one's ways" is another person's "doesn't change with the wind".

jimmaswell 8 hours ago | parent | prev | next [–]

The teachers on the teachers subreddit STILL go on about how bad they have it "risking their lives". It's unbelievably dramatic over what to a vaccinated person is an endemic sniffle. I think they really just want to drag out their WFH situation as long as possible, consequences to the next generation of society be damned.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Penisface posted:

im remote and yes if i think about work while walking from my kitchen to my couch i count those 10 seconds as on the clock

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Penisface posted:

its just that i haven't heard of any employer being ok with this

google is explicitly ok with and encourages people to count their commute as work hours if they're doing work. it's pretty unlikely that somebody is actually doing work while driving, but if you're on the bus, train, or whatever it's expected that it counts as part of your work day.

one of the reasons that i was so keen to go zero-commute was that i get motion sick if i try to use a computer on the bus or bay area trains (the VTA basically follows car routes), so i couldn't reasonably take advantage of the "work on the train/bus" thing

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

it's pretty unlikely that somebody is actually doing work while driving

i've had PMs joining meetings from their car before lol

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

one of the reasons that i was so keen to go zero-commute was that i get motion sick if i try to use a computer on the bus or bay area trains (the VTA basically follows car routes), so i couldn't reasonably take advantage of the "work on the train/bus" thing

i've always assumed that aside from joining meetings, and maybe a rare time-critical one line fix, that working on the bus/train was mostly performative. maybe I'm wrong though?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

DuckConference posted:

i've always assumed that aside from joining meetings, and maybe a rare time-critical one line fix, that working on the bus/train was mostly performative. maybe I'm wrong though?

A lot of the time you don't sit down at your desk and immediately jump into coding poo poo up.

You catch up on email, reacquaint yourself with what you were working on, figure out what you're gonna do today. That's work. But it's stuff you can do on the train just fine.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jabor posted:

A lot of the time you don't sit down at your desk and immediately jump into coding poo poo up.

You catch up on email, reacquaint yourself with what you were working on, figure out what you're gonna do today. That's work. But it's stuff you can do on the train just fine.
yeah its for your morning administrative tasks - update tickets, add notes to stories, read the cafeteria menu, ping people you need responses from, etc.

i cant image what kind of sicko actually gets work done on their commute home, though. thats for napping or staring blankly out the train/subway/bus window

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

ars 6 hours ago | parent | prev | next [–]

You know how capitalism ensures prices are correct by a process of negotiation, and supply and demand? This is exactly that, in labor form. This process of negotiation, over many many many people, is what determines wages.
If you block that process "companies can't negotiate with you, they have to give you a rate and that's it", you will cause a lot of unintended consequences for the labor market.
Be very very careful making such changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
the best part about working from home is being able to just peace out during a meeting to take a big fat poo poo