Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I'm just going to build. After a foreclosure and a repossession, I don't have much option. I'm "buying" 4 acres off a friend this spring by paying for boundary surveys and having his driveway widened, and connected to mine, when I pay the guy a few miles down the road to drive his dozer down for a day. I'll have to pay out for septic install, concrete for the foundation, and a mountain of materials, but at least I have nothing better to do with my time.

Gonna build a hempcrete monstrosity around a stick frame. Probably won't be insurable, but at least it will be very fire proof.

Make sure to get a perpetual easement in writing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I'm just going to build. After a foreclosure and a repossession, I don't have much option. I'm "buying" 4 acres off a friend this spring by paying for boundary surveys and having his driveway widened, and connected to mine, when I pay the guy a few miles down the road to drive his dozer down for a day. I'll have to pay out for septic install, concrete for the foundation, and a mountain of materials, but at least I have nothing better to do with my time.

Gonna build a hempcrete monstrosity around a stick frame. Probably won't be insurable, but at least it will be very fire proof.

Have you considered a box truck conversion with a front porch?

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

https://twitter.com/Aviation_Intel/status/1478902679065673729?s=20

quote:

Nikol Pashinyan, the Prime Minister of Armenia and the chairman of the Collective Security Treaty Organization's Collective Security Council, has announced that this bloc, in which Russia is the most powerful player, is preparing to send a "peacekeeping" force to Kazakhstan. This will be the first time this international organization has launched a military intervention of any kind as part of its collective security provisions.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

M_Gargantua posted:

Make sure to get a perpetual easement in writing!

I'm buying a portion with road frontage. But we do need to draw up a well sharing agreement. We'll likely combine resources to set up proper solar to share, too. It will not be an easy property to sell in the future, but I'll probably die in it.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

the extra lol part here is that:

- the CSTO has not previously deployed peacekeeping forces despite several requests from member states
- in 2021, a CSTO member state requested the assistance of peacekeeping forces after it was attacked by another non-member state
- the CSTO member state in question was Armenia, who announced the current operation (but 100% had no input into the decision to launch it)

you do have to appreciate Russia's level of trolling on some level, even if you do not have to hand it to them

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Mr. Nice! posted:

My landlord is as cool as a landlord can be in that he doesn't sweat me on when rent is due and works with me if I'm ever in a bind.

He is not cool because I've already paid him more than he paid for this house in rent and even still he won't sell it to me for another chunk of money. It's not a great house, and it is not in a nice part of town.

I'm a god damned idiot that I didn't buy a house 8 years ago when I got out of the navy.

HEY! Come on man don't say that.

You're an idiot for A LOT of other reasons, too.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Dude does not seem well.

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1478799779408850946?s=20

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mr. Nice! posted:

This is not a good part of town. This land is not valuable for development. There’s an empty lot of similar size down the road. I can’t imagine anyone builds anything desirable out here. If this was more central to the city or in a nicer area, I could see it being a development target. As is, though, I can’t imagine that you attract anyone to come live in this area.

Getting rid of undesirable people and structures is how you make undesirable land more desirable.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Stupid question, where are all these people who can afford all this high rent that's sweeping the nation? Is it due to folks in the PRC buying up land & such? It seems few Americans can really afford these prices.
I saw the same poo poo when I was stationed in Australia, in that a lot of their high rent/mortgage prices were due to the heavy Chinese influence there.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I think it's just more landlords being huge pieces of poo poo and realize they can charge whatever and people will either pay it or go to jail for vagrancy

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's greed and panic. People feel like the bubble isn't going to pop or is even a bubble. China's property purchasing in the US isn't enough to screw up every city and locality. Also a lot of the rentals are owned by corps and llcs and don't give a gently caress, number go up.

My last place tried to hit me with a 25% increase. They were bought by an investment company, painted the buildings, repaved the parking lots, jacked rents.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Is it even a bubble?

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
In Texas it’s in part people selling in NY and Cali and buying here.

But also the % of total income people are paying for housing continues to go up because it can, and our government doesn’t care to do anything about it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

what metrics is the administration using to claim that the economy is strong

Their *donors* are loving killing it.

And by "it" I mean the planet *and* what's left of democracy. :smith:

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

China's property purchasing in the US isn't enough to screw up every city and locality.

Meanwhile, in Canuckistan...

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 6, 2022

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

US Postal Service currently playing through the FA part of FAFO.

Postal Service asks for temporary waiver from Biden vaccine requirement

WaPo, but I set it as a gifted article, you should all be able to view it without the paywall.

Arcella posted:

But also the % of total income people are paying for housing continues to go up because it can, and our government doesn’t care to do anything about it.

Ditto in Colorado. I put in offers on five or six houses before I was able to get one in the general neighborhood that I wanted. From what my realtor passed on, the local market is currently nuts because people are selling homes in more expensive areas - usually coastal California - and then making cash offers, often above asking price and waiving property inspections. We haven't had REITs sweep through yet, but I'm sure that's just a matter of time.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
When we bought here in TX we ended up offering over asking and waiving the appraisal adjustment. It ended up appraising for our offer but still.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

He looks like I felt when I had bad pneumonia.

I don't think he's got pneumonia.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Arc Light posted:

US Postal Service currently playing through the FA part of FAFO.

Postal Service asks for temporary waiver from Biden vaccine requirement

WaPo, but I set it as a gifted article, you should all be able to view it without the paywall.

It sure would be a terrible thing if a bunch of lucrative middle class wage earning jobs with a pension system and excellent benefits opened up to vaccinated Americans. It’d also be :discoursechef: to see a bunch of antivax idiots lose their retirements because they are selfish assholes who can’t follow simple instructions.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I would only consider working for the post office if they stop caring about weed in urine. We're probably 5 years away from that.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I would only consider working for the post office if they stop caring about weed in urine. We're probably 5 years away from that.

And when the day comes that you and I can be lazy mailmen with THC metabolites outnumbering water in our urine I’ll know I have found peace. I want a third pension goddamnit. I want money for nothing is what I’m getting at.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

USPS ain't gonna get better while that stooge from the last administration is still running it, how the gently caress have they not flushed that turd already.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm hoping that guy gets long term covid.

I'd also want to deliver mail in a right hand drive Subaru, just to be a weird rear end in a top hat. With edibles doing the heavy lifting on the weed front.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Arcella posted:

It's happening everywhere though. I've looked at stuff in rural Missouri that's selling for double what it did 5 years ago.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Midjack posted:

USPS ain't gonna get better while that stooge from the last administration is still running it, how the gently caress have they not flushed that turd already.

That would be impolite.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I can still find cheap houses in rural Illinois. They're not in great condition, are usually decked out in 70s/80s style, and jobs are an hour drive away, but they can be found. Property taxes are high though, which depresses the sale price.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Arc Light posted:

Ditto in Colorado. I put in offers on five or six houses before I was able to get one in the general neighborhood that I wanted. From what my realtor passed on, the local market is currently nuts because people are selling homes in more expensive areas - usually coastal California - and then making cash offers, often above asking price and waiving property inspections. We haven't had REITs sweep through yet, but I'm sure that's just a matter of time.

A bunch of investment/rental properties in our neighborhood were liquidated in the last year or so. I'm up in Greeley and I bet 20 rental units went to regular buyers. I'm not sure what happened, but in our area the market seems to be levelling off. It's still crazy that my house would sell for almost 500k, and it's basically a starter home.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Trailer parks are a low effort money printer which is why they're being gobbled up

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I mean eventually the bottom has to fallout of the rental/house buying market right?

China can't possibly want their capital continually going out of state forever to buy property in the US/Canada and locally rents are increasing without really an increase in wages, combine that with the amount of people dying or having to live in assisted living situations because of covid and demand should be plummeting.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Defenestrategy posted:

I mean eventually the bottom has to fallout of the rental/house buying market right?

China can't possibly want their capital continually going out of state forever to buy property in the US/Canada and locally rents are increasing without really an increase in wages, combine that with the amount of people dying or having to live in assisted living situations because of covid and demand should be plummeting.

We will cut Social Security and seize 401ks to fund a bailout before institutional investors are allowed to take a loss on housing

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Jack rent and inflate the perceived value of the property. Use as collateral on loans, repeat process.

Getting occupancy is just a bonus

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Midjack posted:

https://takeonwallst.com/2021/08/usps-dejoy-bloom/

TL;DR: They don't have the votes yet - Biden can't just tell him to :fuckoff:.

Of course, Biden also has to make time between naps to appoint board members to vote DeJoy out.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

https://takeonwallst.com/2021/08/usps-dejoy-bloom/

TL;DR: They don't have the votes yet - Biden can't just tell him to :fuckoff:.

Of course, Biden also has to make time between naps to appoint board members to vote DeJoy out.

Yeah all the president had to do was nominate two of his party hacks to replace the sitting party hacks on the board who are beyond their term but oh well, no time for that. Or maybe he couldn't find two party hacks who would agree to remove the postmaster general. Too late now anyway, first class mail got hosed in October and it'll never be as good as it was before!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Proud Christian Mom posted:

We will cut Social Security and seize 401ks to fund a bailout before institutional investors are allowed to take a loss on housing

Zillow lost a bunch of money gobbling up houses.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Hekk posted:

It sure would be a terrible thing if a bunch of lucrative middle class wage earning jobs with a pension system and excellent benefits opened up to vaccinated Americans. It’d also be :discoursechef: to see a bunch of antivax idiots lose their retirements because they are selfish assholes who can’t follow simple instructions.

The Biden administration going to shut down the USPS for this.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The Rhode Island housing market vanished 8 months into covid as all the wfh Bostonians and New Yorkers bought second homes there.

My house has gone up almost 50% in value since that started but I can't find a place to buy nearby if I sold.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Godholio posted:

Getting rid of undesirable people and structures is how you make undesirable land more desirable.

I'm saying the area around the trailer park isn't nice, either. It's on the edge of the poorest zip code in the state, and has the same people living in it. Like there is absolutely nothing out here and no reason to build this way. This isn't an appropriate spot for student housing or anything else. There is no way any ritzy development is going up down the street from me unless they build security fences and massive gates.

This isn't something that can be gentrified. It's a poor trailer park in a poor part of town. No one with any money is moving down here.

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Stupid question, where are all these people who can afford all this high rent that's sweeping the nation? Is it due to folks in the PRC buying up land & such? It seems few Americans can really afford these prices.
I saw the same poo poo when I was stationed in Australia, in that a lot of their high rent/mortgage prices were due to the heavy Chinese influence there.

They don't really exist and there's a growing number of houseless people in America.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

This is some pro level <homophobic slur> right here.

Do you trust fund maoists really enjoy the scent of your own farts that much?

Mr. Nice! posted:

This isn't something that can be gentrified. It's a poor trailer park in a poor part of town. No one with any money is moving down here.
Not with an attitude like that it can't be.

I grew up in a rust belt city, and the area that used to be all abandoned factories and literal blocks of empty houses is now full of condos and artisanal kombucharies and whatnot. Sounds like the place your talking about is not likely to be gentrified, but since they're not making new land, it can likely be made to appreciate. Or be sold as a site for a dollar general.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I'm buying a portion with road frontage. But we do need to draw up a well sharing agreement. We'll likely combine resources to set up proper solar to share, too. It will not be an easy property to sell in the future, but I'll probably die in it.

From the dodgy electrical wiring from the solar ?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

stealie72 posted:

Not with an attitude like that it can't be.

I grew up in a rust belt city, and the area that used to be all abandoned factories and literal blocks of empty houses is now full of condos and artisanal kombucharies and whatnot. Sounds like the place your talking about is not likely to be gentrified, but since they're not making new land, it can likely be made to appreciate. Or be sold as a site for a dollar general.

Setting it up as a commercial park would be a possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Thoughts and prayers to NoVA goons for the impending weather catastrophe redux.