Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I was hard locked into Cogeco for the longest time with like 250 down and 50 up max. Literally the week that Bell strung Fibe lines in my neighbourhood Cogeco magically found bandwidth to spare and upgraded me for free to 300/300 or something like that and told me that I could now upgrade to 500/500 for only a few more bucks. How generous. I ditched them the same day.

Much as I complain about the HH every now and then, the service itself has been rock solid. The only actual Bell outages I’ve had are ones I fake when I need an excuse to get out of a tedious Zoom call with vendors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its not bad enough that the general consumer doesn't even understand what a megabit per second is but then you have all these anecdotes floating around that make people try rogers or whatever else loving poo poo exists out there. Then lazy techs who put the drat HH in the basement, in an office, in a closet, mounted under a shelf (I've actually seen that) and then the customer wonders why their wifi coverage is poo poo.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
aren't they all using the 2.5ghz band by default, so there's a lot of interference from neighboring homes anyway?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I don't know if it's by default but when the signal has to go through walls usually only 2.4GHZ is gonna cut it (and that will have more interference for sure).

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
2.4 and 5 are both on by default. If your device has a 5GHz radio it should choose it.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

I haven't shopped around for internet access in ages. Has anything changed in the last 5+ years in terms of DSL vs cable? I remember the basics being that, for downstream, cable boasts higher theoretical speeds that can vary considerably in practice based on load in your area while DSL has slower, but pretty consistent, speeds. For upstream, you can often get bigger numbers for cheaper with DSL.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I guess it will depend on your region, but generally I don't think you're going to get higher than 10mbit up on either VDSL or cable just because of the plans being offered (e: Looks like the Rogers gigabit plans do 30Mbit up, and some regional providers may offer up to 50Mbit). VDSL is still heavily dependant on line conditions to get a decent sync, but if you do and your ISP doesn't have capacity issues (see: Teksavvy circa 2015-????), you should get very stable speeds. Cable generally works everywhere, with time-of-day/load based slowdowns in areas that are heavily oversubscribed.

If you have a GPON fiber option and you can stomach the ISP (because it will probably be Bell or Telus unless you're in a few buildings in a few urban centres) it's by far your best bet.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 10, 2021

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Anyone do any Telus contracts lately?

My contract with Telus is coming up end of December.

We are FTTH and according to their website could go up to 1.5/940.

My house is hardwired 5e and the 750/750 is way more than adequate. Hell, 150/150 would probably be fine for 99% of my wants.

That said, my house is also serviced by Shaw Gig if I want, but I have zero desire to since my Telus fibre connection has been rock-solid, but I'm certainly open to using them as a point of negotiating.

Right now I am $80 month (includes basic land-line which Mrs. Slidebite insists on) for 750/750, unlimited usage for the past 2 years.

What are the reasonable deals to be had now? Am I too early to talk to them? Seems to me last time I had to go through the pains of talking to retention to get the contract I had. Is that still the go-to method? I've poked around their website and it's terrible.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Here in Ontario, Bell Fibre 500/500 is like $115 a month, so you have a relative bargain IMO.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Dunno what’s happening now but when I renewed a little over a year ago they weren’t making any deals at all apart from what was on the website, even through retentions. Probably had something to do with the lack of techs being sent into homes at the time.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Chris Knight posted:

Here in Ontario, Bell Fibre 500/500 is like $115 a month, so you have a relative bargain IMO.
Yeah, if I can extend it I'd be happy with it. I figure they're going to try and jack it a bit though.

Evis posted:

Dunno what’s happening now but when I renewed a little over a year ago they weren’t making any deals at all apart from what was on the website, even through retentions. Probably had something to do with the lack of techs being sent into homes at the time.
Huh, good to know. I wouldn't be against using Shaw as leverage, but their pricing looks terrible.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Telus fibre isn’t available in my area still, it’s baffling. Shaw gigabit cable (only 30Mb up to though iirc) is and it’s fine, but I wish I had the option.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Had an actual not unpleasant call with Bell yesterday to try to cancel some unused services, mainly the home phone that came with my original bundle that I've never used. Dropped that and kept my gigabit & legacy Crave subscription for the same price as internet alone, although they apparently have to drop my upload speed because the 940 up tier doesn't exist except on the 1.5 Gbit. Ah whatever.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well, got my Dec bill from Telus and they pro-rated the part where my contract expired, so figured I might as well see what they have using the online account management. Got a 2 year plan at giga for the same price as 750/750 that I had before. I didn't actively want anything faster than the 750, but it was the same price so why not (I think $85/month?)

Minutes later, check a speedtest already seems to be implemented. My Cat5e is pretty much saturated at this point.

It was actually kind of nice not having to deal with Telus customer service, but I totally expect the billing to be hosed up.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Renewed my contract with Shaw and they sent me the new XB7 modem because I upgraded to a 100Mbps upload plan. I know ISP devices are usually trash but my RT-N66U is getting long in the tooth so I'm wondering if it's worth switching to it as my main router. SSH and OpenVPN are really the only extra things the old router has, and with the faster upload speeds I'm thinking of switching to Wireguard on a Raspberry Pi as my VPN server.

edit: forgot about the dynamic DNS service the Asus router comes with, I can probably figure out a replacement for that though. My wired PC speakers in a different room are picking up the wifi signal though, which is kind of annoying. It changes when I play with the wireless channels so it's definitely the wifi, although it's still there even after disabling the antennas so I don't know if it's spurious emissions or if they're broadcasting a hidden public hotspot even if you turn off the wireless. I'll play with the positioning a bit but if that doesn't help I'll try wrapping the speaker wires around some ferrite chokes or something.

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 24, 2021

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So of course Telus screwed up.

Christmas Morning I was up early and on my computer. I logged onto my Telus account and it now showed ~$160/month for service, with no promos active... but I did still have the giga service, they were just charging me full pop for it, the unlimited add-on, and our land line. Sigh.

I didn't want to call billing/loyalty and have a headache Christmas AM so just get on with my day. Then about 3PM get a call from a family member on my cell saying that they are calling our landline (Mrs. Slidebite wants to keep it, don't ask) and all they get is an out-of-service recording.

I pick up the phone, I get a dial tone and can dial out just fine. Weird.

Since it's Christmas and I kind of need the landline to work for her family to call Or do I??????? I call 611 and after a few seconds get a guy on the tech service side in the Philippines. He is super friendly and his english was fantastic. I actually thought he was from back east with his accent. Talking about Christmas and the typhoon and covid issues in Philippines as he is troubleshooting. Sees their backside provisioning problem. He he needs to reset the fibre box which he does remotely. After he does so, he calls me on my land line so confirms it works.

Then, later on in the day we notice the landline has no caller ID now. Every number shows as PRIVATE.

Sigh. Repeat the exact same scenario above, call to tech, see a backside problem, reset hardware, and it's working. As we wrap up the call I mention I have an issue with my contract not showing on my account and connects me right to loyalty. He said if he didn't do it, I'd have to jump through hoops with billing support etc first so it's much easier for me if he does it right then.

Get another super pleasant lady right away. Told her I have an issue but I think we should just start working on something from scratch since I didn't see an active contract and neither did she. Just my expired one from a week or so back. I now have 2 year contract with gigabit fibre, unlimited data and my home landline for $88 month.... basically the same deal I signed up for online 2 weeks earlier...Which didn't take. Sigh.

I suspect I'll be getting a pro-rated charge for the full pop on my next invoice of the 1-2 weeks, but whatever.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Quick check -- anyone here use Bell Fibe with a Ubiquity UDM-PRO as the router?

Have one coming in the mail but just now seeing that there is/was a bug where bypassing your HH3K by inputting PPPoE credentials into the UDM resulted in a non-insignificant decrease in speeds, forcing you to either double-nat behind the HH3000 or .. i don't know what. Recent forum posts elsewhere say the problem may be fixed for some people but others are still complaining about slow speeds. Just wondering if anyone here has that specific setup:

- Bell Fibe w/HH3000
- Ubiquity UDM-PRO
- PPPoE creds on your UDM WAN port hooked to the HH3K

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I almost replied with a link to my answer but then realized you're the same person! There's been no slowdown on my PPPOE at gigabit speeds whatsoever, PPPOE on VLAN 35 from the GPON works just fine. Been a year and Bell hasn't noticed or cared. Every speed test and Fast.com check is 1000/1000, and I can download and upload torrents at those speeds too.

Less Fat Luke fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jan 6, 2022

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Martytoof posted:

Have one coming in the mail but just now seeing that there is/was a bug where bypassing your HH3K by inputting PPPoE credentials into the UDM resulted in a non-insignificant decrease in speeds, forcing you to either double-nat behind the HH3000 or .. i don't know what. Recent forum posts elsewhere say the problem may be fixed for some people but others are still complaining about slow speeds. Just wondering if anyone here has that specific setup:

- Bell Fibe w/HH3000
- Ubiquity UDM-PRO

If you have the HH3K you can pull the SFP GPON module out and plug it straight into the UDM-PRO, and configure that to dial PPPoE (VLAN 35). The only reason to keep the HH3K in there is if you have home phone via fibre or Fibe TV and you don't feel like setting up the additional VLANs on the UDM

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah unfortunately I do have TV-watchers in the house and the UDM-PRO has a lack of support IGMPv3 or something which prevents this being as easy as it was with the old Edgerouters :[

I'm sufficiently annoyed at having to keep my HH heating the basement that I am actively watching for the IGMP thing to be resolved and I will probably be making that switch once it's possible :cool:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Martytoof posted:

- Bell Fibe w/HH3000
- Ubiquity UDM-PRO
I had nearly the same setup when I last used Bell, except replace the Ubiquity with a Netgear Nighthawk, and it would cut the speeds in half if I left PPPoE up to the router. I used a double NAT with the Nighthawk as the DMZ and it worked fine until I got condo fibre over a year later. I also had a managed switch for a while to do the VLAN splitting to keep TV available if I ever wanted it, but that was more than I wanted to stuff in the patch panel.

I'm not sure what it is about PPPoE but the HH3k likely has dedicated hardware for it while consumer routers all do it in software. My experiences with Ubiquity tell me they won't do much better than a Netgear from 2015, but I hope I'm wrong.

Whoops, I was using a dedicated media converter in front of a HH2k back then and plugged the Nighthawk directly in with PPPoE creds. That was slow enough to require double NAT, though I suspect not much has improved.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 6, 2022

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hey just offhand, anyone with Bell ever try to authenticate with more than one (two) PPPoE logins?

Like HH3K uses a PPPoE login

My Edgerouter uses a PPPoE login, so presumably they allow at LEAST two

Now I'm setting up my UDM pro but I don't want to swap it in until it's all configured, so theoretically I could hook it to the HH3K, pop my PPPoE login in, but I'm not sure if Bell goes "yeah ok now we're going to terminate one of the other sessions" or what.

Asking here vs home network thread because presumably more Bell users, but so far the replies are mostly coming from the same subset of people so probably either thread is fine :haw:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

AFAIK if the HH3K is just handling FibeTV, that's actually a different set of credentials from the internet service.

Not sure I understand why you need both the EdgeRouter and the UDM with their own PPPoE sessions though. It was my understanding that you could have one active session with a login, but I don't think I've ever tested that.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 12, 2022

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Just wanted to reiterate how reprehensible Bell sales are? Had my parents pushing their 80s paying $80/mth for 30 Mbps down and a $20/mth Crave subscription they don't know how to use.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

infernal machines posted:

AFAIK if the HH3K is just handling FibeTV, that's actually a different set of credentials from the internet service.

Not sure I understand why you need both the EdgeRouter and the UDM with their own PPPoE sessions though. It was my understanding that you could have one active session with a login, but I don't think I've ever tested that.

I plan to swap in the UDM for the EdgeRouter but part of that is re-creatin the same internal subnets behind the UDM. The UDM is currently getting its WAN from the EdgeRouter which is serving DHCP on those same subnets I'm hoping to replicate "internally" so I suspect there would be a huge issue given that the UDM would have its WAN IP DHCP'd on a subnet it recognizes as "internal".

I think the DHCP the HH3K itself hands out also conflicts with the default initialized UDM internal subnet so maybe same issue, but I could theoretically just try plugging into the HH3K to see.

And I think the PPPoE creds I'm using are the same ones the tech set up on the HH3K but I could be wrong. It's been so long since I had to monkey with anything on the network level.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

teethgrinder posted:

Just wanted to reiterate how reprehensible Bell sales are? Had my parents pushing their 80s paying $80/mth for 30 Mbps down and a $20/mth Crave subscription they don't know how to use.
My parents paid that for a 2 megabit connection in the loving boonies, and Crave flat out didn't work at that speed but they weren't allowed to remove it from the bundle. Now they're on Starlink at least, haha.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Less Fat Luke posted:

My parents paid that for a 2 megabit connection in the loving boonies, and Crave flat out didn't work at that speed but they weren't allowed to remove it from the bundle. Now they're on Starlink at least, haha.
Yeah, we're trying to figure it out. We had them on TekSavvy originally, but Bell talked them into bundling everything ... which that said, is probably still cheaper than what they were paying for Rogers cable TV. But it'll be a mess to sort it out. Dad still needs his sports.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Martytoof posted:

And I think the PPPoE creds I'm using are the same ones the tech set up on the HH3K but I could be wrong. It's been so long since I had to monkey with anything on the network level.

They might be, but if you're dialing the PPPoE session from behind the HH3K then the HH3K itself may only be connecting to the FibeTV PPPoE session, which uses different credentials than the internet service itself.

I might be missing something obvious, but why not just configure the UDM separately, then swap it in for the EdgeMax, it's probably easier if you don't try to configure it in-situ

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 12, 2022

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

teethgrinder posted:

This is Fourth Reich Telecom's playbook. They are instructed to do this by management. They are the worst company in canada and I hate that their fibre is the best product.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

codo27 posted:

This is Fourth Reich Telecom's playbook. They are instructed to do this by management. They are the worst company in canada and I hate that their fibre is the best product.

Best product???

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
My parents are doing the the same. Paying Shaw almost $200 a month for 15mbs and some ancient grandfathered in cable package that has like 25 channels at most.

They refuse to call Shaw and get it changed because they're helpless boomers who would freeze up at the first question the rep would ask them.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

My brother just showed me the bills lol. $70 for POTS too. They're Very Concerned about 911 access so can't do VoIP for them, in case of a power failure. But I remember TekSavvy selling me POTS for like $11/mth ages ago.

edit: they don't know analogue phones on their site at all these days. There must still be some reseller out there. (I am doing the research.)

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

teethgrinder posted:

When my grandmother passed away Bell charged her account/estate for two years despite us calling multiple times to tell them she was dead and even going so far as to send them a death certificate to cancel the account. Haven't done business with them since.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Martian Manfucker posted:

When my grandmother passed away Bell charged her account/estate for two years despite us calling multiple times to tell them she was dead and even going so far as to send them a death certificate to cancel the account. Haven't done business with them since.

Did the death certificate work or did you have to escalate further?

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

thunderspanks posted:

Did the death certificate work or did you have to escalate further?

It eventually worked after a couple more phone calls, if I remember correctly.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

infernal machines posted:

I might be missing something obvious, but why not just configure the UDM separately, then swap it in for the EdgeMax, it's probably easier if you don't try to configure it in-situ

Definitely doable, initial configuration just requires an internet connection so it has to be on the LAN at some point. It may be enough to just connect the UDM to provision it to the cloud service, then disconnect it and configure offline.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Nitr0 posted:

Best product???
umm hello the ads literally said "the best internet" until presumably they were told to knock it off

Subtitle this thread "dad needs his sports".

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Hey, long shot question and I'm asking here only because it's :canada: specific:

Anyone recommend a place for buying off-lease computers in Canada? Looking for something like a Lenovo all-in-one. I've got one for work (covid home office) and Mrs. Slidebite likes it.. and her 2500k might finally be dying (I think motherboard issues), so I'll be looking at a new one and a new monitor to replace her ancient VGA unit anyhow.

Otherwise, maybe a mini attached to the back of a monitor with a VESA mount, but I like the all-in-one idea.

Intel 6+ i5 would probably be ideal if we're looking for specifics.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m looking for the same thing, trying to source three or four Lenovo m700 tiny nodes, but honestly I’m just going to resort to eBay I think. There’s a few sellers in Canada so I can just pay the tax ahead and not have to worry about import.

Would actually love to hear if there’s any better place too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm sure lenovo used to offer financing on their site when you buy direct but last I checked I didn't see it. They are good choice though regardless.