Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
You can't cast and stream some of these services just like that though can you? They won't let you.

I don't understand how djovocoikvc gets away with becoming goat through a decade of cheating but can't manage to get himself into Australia one time. Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Does anyone know anything about licensing artwork for commercial use?

A relative who is an artist has been asked by a company to quote to do some artwork that they want to use in many different ways (she doesn't know exactly what yet) and she asked me to suggest what she should charge. She reckons it will take her about 15 days to produce the artwork.

I said £7500 plus licensing fees.

Everyone else is telling her less (£200-£400 a day for example) and she thinks that even that is cheeky and the company will think she is greedy. I said the company will think she is a complete numpty if she charges less.

This particular company bought some art off her a few years ago and it has even been seen on the tv in a news item about them (not about the art but it was there with her name on it quite prominently in the background).

Normally she just does artwork for private individuals or small organisations such as churches so no experience in this larger realm!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Let me begin by saying I have no idea.

I suppose it matters on what the nature of the commercial use is? Are they in competition with other artists for the work?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Paperhouse posted:

Somehow I've never heard of this before, have you got a link to an article or something? Not doubting it, just interested. I didn't know that Djokovic was that mediocre in the past, my interest in tennis comes and goes and I just remember him bursting onto the scene and doing like you said, grinding everyone down

That's because it never happened. He was a highly regarded junior player who reached the final of the Junior Davis Cup, was beating top 32 players in five set matches when he was 16, and improved constantly and steadily until he began winning Slams in 2008. In his late teens Tennis GB were courting him to switch nation so they wouldn't have to rely solely on Andy Murray. He's a twat who deserves contempt, but he's never been mediocre.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

serious gaylord posted:

Djokovic was an average player who couldn't last in 5 set tournaments as he just didn't have the fitness and strength. Would regularly quit mid match 'injured' to avoid the stigma of losing and was just generally one of the most unpleasant players on the tour. Then he just explodes back onto the scene and grinds literally every player into the dust. Running players he couldn't so much as get a set off the previous season into the floor in 5 set marathons.

The gluten free diet was pulled out to use as a shield against the inevitable questions that arose from such a meteoric rise in such a short space of time in a sport where the most dominant players have genetic freak levels of endurance. It remains one of the most obvious cases of doping in sport I have seen in my lifetime and Tennis' just total inaction on this and the several other ludicrous examples have tainted the sport for a decade.

There is a terrific blog on tennis doping here - https://tennishasadopingproblemblog.wordpress.com/

Sadly a lot of very big stars are likely dopers. From memory I think both Nadal and FedEx have blood caught up in the eternal legal process around the doctor that doped Lance Armstrong. Murray is thankfully one of the least suspect out of the top men but who knows.

Edit: that blog is very in the detail now but have a look at the archive for the best articles on the broad strokes.

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 6, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I suppose it matters on what the nature of the commercial use is? Are they in competition with other artists for the work?

Not that I'm aware of. As I mentioned, they've used her artwork before and have invited her to do this. (And she probably charged something daft like £500 back then.)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 6, 2022

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I think FedEx was more volleyball than tennis, although I suppose Sampras could be the connection.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Zalakwe posted:

There is a terrific blog on tennis doping here - https://tennishasadopingproblemblog.wordpress.com/

Sadly a lot of very big stars are likely dopers. From memory I think both Nadal and FedEx have blood caught up in the eternal legal process around the doctor that doped Lance Armstrong. Murray is thankfully one of the least suspect out of the top men but who knows.

All across elite sport people are juicing and have been for decades. It's definitely one of the biggest things that I only found out about in later life. Then when you look back it makes sense.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Everyone else is telling her less (£200-£400 a day for example) and she thinks that even that is cheeky and the company will think she is greedy. I said the company will think she is a complete numpty if she charges less.

Firstly, if a company thinks you are being too greedy, you don't want to do work for them anyway if you can afford to walk away. It's just not worth it. Secondly, this seems to surprise a lot of people but in the corporate world it's usually the opposite - if you're a consultant and you're asked to quote for some work and come back way lower than they were expecting, they assume you're cheap because you're not very good. Thirdly, whether or not your relative can justify the cost is irrelevant anyway. What matters is how much the work is worth to that company.

I can only offer more tech examples because that's what I do, but suppose a company asks me to fix a problem that currently costs them £1m every day that it's broken. I know I can fix it in 5 minutes. If I ask for £100k to do the work in one day, are they going to refuse because it's greedy to expect £100k for one day's work? No, they're going to snap my hand off because they instantly save vastly more. Even if they know it's only going to take me 5 minutes.

From a negotiation standpoint, it's much better to let the other side offer a number first anyway. Though in this case the company maybe doesn't have a clear idea themselves either.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

smellmycheese posted:

Jeremy Vine is right up there with Dick Dawkins in allowing his tweets to reveal how spectacularly dim he is

Great now I have whiplash from thinking "yes based" until the halfway point lmao.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

mentally adding this to all ur posts from now on

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I think FedEx was more volleyball than tennis, although I suppose Sampras could be the connection.

This joke must be completely inside baseball. I am not getting it.

Jippa posted:

All across elite sport people are juicing and have been for decades. It's definitely one of the biggest things that I only found out about in later life. Then when you look back it makes sense.

Sadly I think there is a lot of truth in that. Half the Spanish world cup winning team also has blood caught up on eternal legals but it seems a particular problem in stamina based sports. Wiggins and Froome both came up at a time the entire pelaton doped, and that's ignoring Sky/Ineos/Team GB's more recent shenanigans. Don't get me started on Nibali etc.

For anyone interested in doping and a bit of drama I seriously recommend watching Icarus on Netflix. The premise of the documentary is a lad tries to dope to win an epic amateur cycling event but it all takes a seriously unexpected turn

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also the tale of the 1904 Olympic marathon event.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Zalakwe posted:

This joke must be completely inside baseball. I am not getting it.

Using FedEx to mean Roger Federa but also Tom Hanks in Castaway was a FedEx delivery guy who got stranded on a deserted island and talked to a volleyball with a face drawn on it to stay sane

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i could be a conspiracist and say murray messed his hips up with steroids but it’s more likely that his insane schedule just wore down his femora down to little nubs

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

The Question IRL posted:

I didn't say "get all three/four" streaming services per month. (I mean you can if you can afford it.)
What I was saying was if you want entertainment, just pick one streaming service and watch what you want on it. If you pick any of those services there is easily a few months worth of entertainment on it. You just signed up for Netflix? Try out the Witcher, Umbrella Accademy and Stranger Things.

If you want to watch specific shows and they are on different streaming platforms, just prioritize which one is easiest to get with the service you have and you can always watch the other shows when you switch providers a few months down the line. You want to watch the Boys and the Expanse? They'll be waiting for you on Prime Video whenever you sign up.

But if you really can't wait, sure go ahead and pirate it so you can have it now.

But it really doesn't seem that convenient to setup a personal media server, download a bunch of shows to have them ready. If it's a show that's not on any service, I get that. But going "A Netflix subscription is no longer the perfectly optimum return of money to entertainment. So now I'll just pirate everything I want from all of them" seems strange.

Between work and a new baby, the wife and I only have like an hour to two a day to watch stuff. So we just focus on one or two series at a time, which helps us to no longer have huge libraries of material to chose from and then spending half an hour trying to choose what to watch.
It's sort of a "want the stuff you have, not want more stuff that you then don't really use."

I also think the earlier post about computer touchers seeing all problems as requiring technical solutions that are simple (to them) rings very true.

You don’t need a media server, just download stuff the day before/in the morning/afternoon or whatever then watch it on the night. I dunno why everyone’s talking about media servers.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007

Wow. I'm a keen runner but have never heard of this. Totally bizarre.

Tarnop posted:

Using FedEx to mean Roger Federa but also Tom Hanks in Castaway was a FedEx delivery guy who got stranded on a deserted island and talked to a volleyball with a face drawn on it to stay sane

There is no sodding chance I would have got there but lol.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

How can you post any version of this story that isn't the Jon Bois one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4AhABManTw

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I reckon if they're all juicing then it's fine. Juice them up and let's see some quality tennis. But if they're not all doing it then yeah it's bad

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Zalakwe posted:

There is no sodding chance I would have got there but lol.

These are the things my adhd-riddled brain retains instead of useful stuff like memories of nice things that have happened to me

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Jakabite posted:

You don’t need a media server, just download stuff the day before/in the morning/afternoon or whatever then watch it on the night. I dunno why everyone’s talking about media servers.

I think because streaming services provide a lot of conveniences that doing it all manually each night doesn't. It's a pain in the arse to do it every time you fancy watching something, or remembering to grab a new episode each week when it airs.

Put in the work though and a good media setup with plex/emby/jellyfin with radarr/sonarr to source the content is such a good system that I don't miss streaming at all. I even have a few family who stream content from my media server when they want stuff that the 1/2 streaming services they have don't offer it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

How can you post any version of this story that isn't the Jon Bois one?
aldipizza.jpg

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Does anyone know anything about licensing artwork for commercial use?

A relative who is an artist has been asked by a company to quote to do some artwork that they want to use in many different ways (she doesn't know exactly what yet) and she asked me to suggest what she should charge. She reckons it will take her about 15 days to produce the artwork.

I said £7500 plus licensing fees.

This particular company bought some art off her a few years ago and it has even been seen on the tv in a news item about them (not about the art but it was there with her name on it quite prominently in the background).

Normally she just does artwork for private individuals or small organisations such as churches so no experience in this larger realm!

I saw a good blog once for calculating how much you should charge for art. It boils down to - imagine you are doing this full-time. How much would you need to live the life you want to live? Yearly? Work out what that boils down to hourly. Then charge a hefty whack on top of that because you also pay for supplies, and also for all the art you did BEFORE this, that wasn't sold, that is the reason you can do this art now. And that's just for selling to private customers. To a company? Rinse em.

Meanwhile work is really busy and I'm sick to the back teeth of The General Public. I'm doing my best for these loving people. gently caress.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Mega Comrade posted:

I think because streaming services provide a lot of conveniences that doing it all manually each night doesn't. It's a pain in the arse to do it every time you fancy watching something, or remembering to grab a new episode each week when it airs.

Put in the work though and a good media setup with plex/emby/jellyfin with radarr/sonarr to source the content is such a good system that I don't miss streaming at all. I even have a few family who stream content from my media server when they want stuff that the 1/2 streaming services they have don't offer it.

I guess it’s a case of different strokes and how fast your internet is. It takes me a minute or so to set a download going and I’m getting about 6MB/s so I really don’t mind. Plex does sound nice like - might think about it when I get settled somewhere for a while.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jakabite posted:

Media servers are handy if you want to watch the same stuff on different devices - I can stream episodes of The Chinese Detective[1][2] to the telly in my front room, the one in the kitchen, or even my tablet for bog viewing pleasure (I don't do that last one - that's my posting time - but the option's there if I want it). For me at least it also forces me into properly sorting and storing stuff, and also, through my normal means of shonky python scripts, supplies me with an everlasting source of just background-noise random selections from all the stuff I've downloaded.

[1] Which is not available on any streaming service or in-print DVD, along with a lot of the best telly of the 80s, because of stupid loving licensing deals signed when Thames were imploding in the naughties. (How did an ITV company get the rights for a BBC series? Because of stupid loving licensing deals signed in the naughties). Anyway that's the only thing I pirate, certainly not anything I could pay Amazon/Netflix/Disney/whosever for, nosiree.

[2] Those of you not beholden to the streaming services, look it up. It's written by the guy who wrote The Sweeney but couldn't be more different (well apart from being a cop show filmed in the East End). David Yip plays a sort of nerdier (and Chinesier) version of Columbo, just annoying criminals into confessing, and it has some funny bits, but it's also got a lot to say about the struggle of being a second-generation immigrant, police corruption and graft, and of course the incredible racism of the era. Of less appeal to those not from the area it's an *amazing* time capsule too. Despite only being 30 years old the vast majority of locations are completely impossible to recognise nowadays, and in some cases the buildings involved not only being replaced by newer, shinier things but the things that replaced them being replaced too.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007

Tarnop posted:

These are the things my adhd-riddled brain retains instead of useful stuff like memories of nice things that have happened to me

Not to minimise your condition but I appreciated it and love a bit of convoluted humour in general.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Carefully picking out what shows you want to watch on which platforms & switching platforms regularly sure sounds like a lot of work to still only watch mostly shite & not be able to share the experience of chatting about the new stuff with your friends

For the record, I actually do have both Netflix & Prime (well, my girlfriend does, which means I do), I just use Plex cuz it's easier, so it's beyond me why people who know how to torrent would pay for the privilege of having to do more work to get less

e: oh, there was another page

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Paperhouse posted:

I reckon if they're all juicing then it's fine. Juice them up and let's see some quality tennis. But if they're not all doing it then yeah it's bad

The problem with the "sure go nuts, do all the juicing you want" is people aren't going to all stick with the same stuff.
If everyone us is using the same stuff, then people will decide to kick into harder and harder stuff.
It becomes an arms race, and it ends up with people taking Gamma infused venom where they cut their life spans to ten years, but they get the gains.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel very vindicated in my stance of just not watching tv. It seems very stressful.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

There's literally a guy on youtube that does chemistry explosives shitposts and has a collection of strongbow cans he blew up as a reference library.

I don't think having a book I was under the impression was just an FBI honeypot would be necessary in this day and age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV_daaldE_I

Going to get arrested for t posing on the internet.

Well, going to enjoy this channel now.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I want a version of each sport where all juicing is allowed. Just loving ripped to poo poo, monstrous hulks pushing the absolute limits of what’s biologically possible. Hearts exploding, veins rupturing, blood everywhere.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

:hmmyes: I also enjoy strongman

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

Well, going to enjoy this channel now.

Unfortunately he is sort of on hiatus due to something stupid like "getting an education" or whatever, but yes the backlog is a lot of fun if you ever wished that someone combined dangerous chemistry and top tier shitposting.

Also the fact that he does everything in a manky shed that looks way too much like a meth lab is very funny too.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 6, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

The problem with the "sure go nuts, do all the juicing you want" is people aren't going to all stick with the same stuff.
If everyone us is using the same stuff, then people will decide to kick into harder and harder stuff.
It becomes an arms race, and it ends up with people taking Gamma infused venom where they cut their life spans to ten years, but they get the gains.
I'd still be tempted to say "lol go for it" if it weren't for the fact that school sports coaches would push kids onto it. They already do in America where high school sports matters for reasons, probably do too in pre-Olympic programs all over the place.

If it were just individuals saying "yeah I want to run a 5 second 100m just once even though my legs will explode" that'd be different from the reality that there's a ceding of autonomy to the school/team/club/country that happens at those levels.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Borrovan posted:

:hmmyes: I also enjoy strongman WCW

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Mega Comrade posted:

Mrs Comrade messaged me this morning. Only 2 of them on labour ward today, meant to be 8.
We'll be eating dinner at 10pm again today.

Well my gift of foresight was correct. Mrs Comrades 12 hour shift has turned into a 14 hour one.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Borrovan posted:

:hmmyes: I also enjoy strongman

Marius pudzinowski but allowed to smoke a load of meth before each attempt

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Re: the Anarchist Cookbook, it's available on UK Amazon in kindle, hardback and paperback forms. That's what I don't get about this book being used to send people to prison for terrorism offences.

I'm reminded about a 'terrorist cell' that was raided in Plymouth 10+ years ago. It was heavily reported about in the media, and iirc they were someone in their early 20's, an 18 year old, and two 16 year olds. Police confiscated terrorist propaganda, terrorist training manuals, weapons - including an AK47, knives and explosives.

The four 'terrorists' were held in police custody for up to a month under the new anti terrorism laws, and the bomb disposal trucks were at the property for days as were forensic police.

The terrorist propaganda and training manuals were in fact mostly political text books for one of the guy's politics degree. There were also political manifestos as well as a copy of the Anarchist Cookbook bought from the local Waterstones. The weapons were a couple of BB guns, and the AK47 was a replica that was screwed to the wall as a work of art. It wasn't even capable of firing caps. And the explosives? They were legally purchased fireworks for bonfire night. Oh, and the knives were literally the knives from the kitchen drawer.

They were eventually released without charge with the eldest staying in police custody for nearly the full 28 days iirc, though their release and innocence wasn't reported about heavily in the press. They were targeted because they were vocal anarchists, and the police and government wanted to send a message to appease the public. The psychological effects for the two 16 year olds were huge...

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 6, 2022

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Mega Comrade posted:

Well my gift of foresight was correct. Mrs Comrades 12 hour shift has turned into a 14 hour one.

Sucks dude, commiserations to you both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

fuctifino posted:

Re: the Anarchist Cookbook, it's available on UK Amazon in kindle, hardback and paperback forms. That's what I don't get about this book being used to send people to prison for terrorism offences.

I'm reminded about a 'terrorist cell' that was raided in Plymouth 10+ years ago. It was heavily reported about in the media, and iirc they were someone in their early 20's, an 18 year old, and two 16 year olds. Police confiscated terrorist propaganda, terrorist training manuals, weapons - including an AK47, knives and explosives.

The four 'terrorists' were held in police custody for up to a month under the new anti terrorism laws, and the bomb disposal trucks were at the property for days as were forensic police.

The terrorist propaganda and training manuals were in fact political text books for one of the guy's politics degree. The weapons were a couple of BB guns, and the AK47 was a replica that was screwed to the wall as a work of art. It wasn't even capable of firing caps. And the explosives? They were legally purchased fireworks for bonfire night. Oh, and the knives were literally the knives from the kitchen drawer.

They were eventually released without charge with the eldest staying in police custody for nearly the full 28 days iirc, though their release and innocence wasn't reported about heavily in the press. They were targeted because they were vocal anarchists, and the police and government wanted to send a message to appease the public. The psychological effects for the two 16 year olds were huge...

I think the first thing we did when my high school finally upgraded from Windows 3.11 to Windows NT (or was it Windows 2000? I forget, could even have been 98 for all I remember) & thus we had internet access was accidentally stumble upon the Anarchist Cookbook & print it out. Mostly I remember a lot of stuff about Phone Phreaking which sounded incredibly cool but was already out of date.