Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Voltron starts good but gradually gets bad.

Yeah, Voltron's last two seasons are an absolute mess, but they're a feel-good mess, so it's a bit of a wash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I agree that killing off the show’s central female character was kind of a bad move but it looks like it might be worth a watch overall.

While we’re on the subject, are any of the other western made Voltron shows any good?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I've seen She Ra, Steven Universe and unmentionable horse show. Are there any other cool and possibly gay shows on that same vein or is that it?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Azza Bamboo posted:

I've seen She Ra, Steven Universe and unmentionable horse show. Are there any other cool and possibly gay shows on that same vein or is that it?

Have not watched it for myself, but I've heard The Dragon Prince is cool and gets mildly gay in some places if you're paying close enough attention. Kipo and the Age of the Wonderbeasts as well, although it gets explicitly, verbally spokenly, "I'm gay" gay in contrast.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Azza Bamboo posted:

I don't know if it really is in the same vein, besides being animates, but Arcane is very good, and also pretty gay.

Regarding what Noelle has done since She Ra, there was an animated adaption of her great comic Nimona in the works, but it got axed dwhen Disney shut down the studio working on it, which is a damned shame.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Sounds cool. I might also start reading comics seeing as I find myself drawing them (badly). Might be a good idea.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Azza Bamboo posted:

and before anybody starts throwing rocks at me, understand that i am immune to rocks. they will shatter against my impervious skin

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Have not watched it for myself, but I've heard The Dragon Prince is cool and gets mildly gay in some places if you're paying close enough attention. Kipo and the Age of the Wonderbeasts as well, although it gets explicitly, verbally spokenly, "I'm gay" gay in contrast.

Dragon Prince is good and you should watch it (though I do wish they’d announce a release date for Season 4 already)

Bony-Eared Assfish
Oct 4, 2018

Azza Bamboo posted:

Owl House.

:colbert:

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Azza Bamboo posted:

I've heard great things about Centaur World.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Thtlat show is pretty homosexual with its use of magic as well. I think there's a correlative relationship with animated shows being good and how homosexual theyvare.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I was watching Korra as it came out but I stopped for some reason. I think there was a huge hiatus and I didn't catch up at the end. Might have to finish that.

Centaur world looks like a lot of fun, in a kind of what the gently caress way, like bravest warriors.

I tried Dragon Prince once but it couldn't carry me. I think, as someone who draws, I kept picking out the weird quirks in their animation to the point where I was distracted from whatever was going on. It's awesome that people are trying new techniques and styles, though, and I should probably try watching it again.

I know nothing about Owl House. Seems cool though.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Azza Bamboo posted:

I was watching Korra as it came out but I stopped for some reason. I think there was a huge hiatus and I didn't catch up at the end. Might have to finish that.

Centaur world looks like a lot of fun, in a kind of what the gently caress way, like bravest warriors.

I tried Dragon Prince once but it couldn't carry me. I think, as someone who draws, I kept picking out the weird quirks in their animation to the point where I was distracted from whatever was going on. It's awesome that people are trying new techniques and styles, though, and I should probably try watching it again.

I know nothing about Owl House. Seems cool though.

Dragon Prince's weird animation is at its weirdest in season 1. After that I'm pretty sure they stop doing... whatever it was they were doing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Anshu posted:

Dragon Prince's weird animation is at its weirdest in season 1. After that I'm pretty sure they stop doing... whatever it was they were doing.

Yeah, I think they got an animation budget increase maybe? It's not quite as Speed Racer as it starts off as.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Azza Bamboo posted:

As I recall there was both a hiatus and for part of one season of Korra, Nickelodeon was only airing it on its app/website.

Definitely recommending the The Owl House.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Venuz Patrol posted:

and before anybody starts throwing rocks at me, understand that i am immune to rocks. they will shatter against my impervious skin

Korra and Asami walked so that Adora and Catra could run. :colbert:

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, I believe there’s a part in SPoP where Catra mentions that Shadow Weaver found her when she was young as well. Sort of makes me wonder where she came from originally (we never see any other cat people in the series as far as I recall).

In Episode 12, when Light Hope is explaining that princesses get their power from runestones, she throws up a hologram of what are (presumably) princesses.

You can clearly see Glimmer, Angella, Spinerella, Perfuma, Mermista, Netossa, Scorpia and Frosta. That leaves five mystery princesses, one of which has a cat tail.

The bright yellow legs also bear some resemblance to Sweet Bee from the 80s series.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

biracial bear for uncut posted:

i like legend of korra a lot and i still can't disagree with you at all

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Azza Bamboo posted:

The bright yellow bird also bears some resemblance to Sweet Dee.

The crossover I never knew we needed. The.gang would totally join the Horde, except for Dennis (who would probably do the best in the Horde). Dennis would just be frustrated that all the Rebels are lesbians.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Azza Bamboo posted:

Not a show, but if you like the modern She-Ra, make sure to check out Noelle Stevenson's comic book Lumberjanes. It's as gay, trans and non-binary as the day is long, and this middle-aged white cishet male loved every page of it.

EDIT: Apparently HBO Max is working on an animated version of the book, so there.

Dave Syndrome fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 7, 2022

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Owl house is a pro tier watch. I dropped centaur world because it is waaaaaay too much of a musical for my taste. Like every episode had multiple songs. I realize this is a me problem, but felt I should warn anyways.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, do we have any idea when Owl House is coming back? I know it’s slated to be ending soon at least

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Azza Bamboo posted:

Infinity Train

I just wish it got the 10 seasons it deserved

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, do we have any idea when Owl House is coming back? I know it’s slated to be ending soon at least

Oh, it was cancelled. Didn't fit 'the brand.'

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, it was cancelled. Didn't fit 'the brand.'

Huh, I could have sworn I heard they were going to do a finale of sorts at some point.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

Huh, I could have sworn I heard they were going to do a finale of sorts at some point.

The third season is still forthcoming, it's just going to be super short and probably won't wrap everything up in a satisfactory way because of the one-two punch of COVID and Disney murdering the show because it was too gay for them, even though it won a loving Peabody award.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

The third season is still forthcoming, it's just going to be super short and probably won't wrap everything up in a satisfactory way because of the one-two punch of COVID and Disney murdering the show because it was too gay for them, even though it won a loving Peabody award.

Ah ok, that’s what I thought.

Looking it up it seems like the final season will be out sometime between April and June

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Larryb posted:

Ah ok, that’s what I thought.

Looking it up it seems like the final season will be out sometime between April and June

Season 2b is coming 'soon', and then the 3-episode-special final season will be out afterward.

https://twitter.com/DanaTerrace/status/1480578825587101700

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Considering the time periods the show is modelled after their relationship consisting of communication through letters having tea together and walking hand in hand through a magical portal pretty saucy to me

also judging by what the YouTube algorithm has shown me Amphibia looks good.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I've been watching some old She-Ra again, and I've come across melogs.

Melog is golem backwards. Shadow Weaver summons the melog from the clay of a swamp, in a bid to find someone as strong as She-Ra.

"It has no life of its own, but it has the power to absorb the strengths and abilities of anyone it touches." - Shadow Weaver.

Sure enough, the melog transforms into a buff lady when it touches She-Ra, and the melog then starts tearing up the joint. Ultimately the melog also took on She-Ra's emotions: It decided to stop fighting, thus saving the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmsA9iAn8WQ

How much of this carries over to the new series?

Firstly, if true, this would explain why Horde Prime couldn't win the war on Krytis. It may even invalidate the idea that magic is somehow a weakness of the horde. After all, if no one can defeat you except you, then you're the best. There's much more interesting implications, though.

In the new series, Melog runs past the party in a flash before showing any illusion capability. It's possible that Melog only learns illusion from contact with Glimmer, explaining why Melog's illusions feel so familiar to Glimmer. However, Glimmer has never practiced invisibility onscreen, and that raises doubt if not further possibilities. It could be that Melog doesn't have the power from the original show, but let's say Melog does. Either Melog learned invisibility from elsewhere (after all, they had a war with Horde Prime) or there's a more interesting possibility: Melog can take abilities from someone even if they haven't made use of those abilities themselves. The reason the latter possibility (though reaching) is exciting is because of another feature from the old cartoons.

In the old series, Catra has a magical mask that allows her to transform into a purple panther. In the new series, Melog doesn't turn into a big cat until Catra touches her.

It's a bit of a stretch, but melog having the powers from the original show could suggest that Catra's beast mode is still canon.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I kind of wish they’d somehow retained Catra’s transformation abilities in the new series. I haven’t seen much of the OG show mind you but it seems like a neat concept at least.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I'm just gonna say right now that there are no meogs in the new show. Catra can't transform into a crazy purple puma or anything like that either.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vietnamwees posted:

I'm just gonna say right now that there are no meogs in the new show. Catra can't transform into a crazy purple puma or anything like that either.

Technically, I believe she does it once in a fantasy sequence (it was from that early Season 2 episode where the gang is basically just sitting around playing D&D having a strategy meeting and there’s a lot of nods to the original series).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 11, 2022

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
There is a "Melog" it's just a question of how much the new Melog is like the old melogs.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Season 2 of the CG He-Man series drops March 3rd:

https://twitter.com/MastersOfficial/status/1486383522373939200

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I made the mistake of looking up when Season 6 might land, stumbling upon what could be plot spoilers for it: Reshma Shetty (voice of Angella) is said to be returning

Also no specific dates but people seem to be saying May-ish

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Azza Bamboo posted:

I made the mistake of looking up when Season 6 might land, stumbling upon what could be plot spoilers for it: Reshma Shetty (voice of Angella) is said to be returning

Wait, what? I wasn’t even aware there were plans of bringing this show back, got a link handy?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently you’re right, seems SPoP is in fact coming back this May:

https://theawesomeone.com/she-ra-season-6/amp/

I hadn’t heard anything about this until now but assuming it’s legit I’m looking forward to it

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 26, 2022

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I hope so but all the articles look like they're from B list sites so hmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Azza Bamboo posted:

I hope so but all the articles look like they're from B list sites so hmm.

Searching She Ra Season 6 does at least show a consistent release date on most of the articles anyway but I’m not sure if there’s any official confirmation out there or not