Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

this is fraud and fraud is illegal. no company's gonna rake an individual cheater over the coals (probably) but when it's institutionalized like that, there's a lot of room for lawsuits and discovery and all that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

i need to figure out how to protect myself. i have no evidence of them saying this though, and it came as a surprise at the end

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

edit: disregard, staffing agency is a much shittier situation

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 6, 2022

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Good Sphere posted:

i need to figure out how to protect myself. i have no evidence of them saying this though, and it came as a surprise at the end

see if they’re dumb enough to put it in writing

but probably talk to a lawyer

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Captain Foo posted:

see if they’re dumb enough to put it in writing

but probably talk to a lawyer

yeah i should, and i've been thinking about telling the staffers i got hired by another company just so they don't suspect anything

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

This sounds like you aren't an employee of this staffing agency yet:

Good Sphere posted:

yeah i should, and i've been thinking about telling the staffers i got hired by another company just so they don't suspect anything

So what does this mean?:

Good Sphere posted:

i've given the recruiters all of my vital personal information, and signed a ton of documents basically signing my life away

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Sign up with us and you'll never be between jobs again, here at Indentured Staffitude! The staffing agency with teeth and 'tude!

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Also don't lie about getting hired by another company. If you don't work for this staffing agency right now, tell them to get hosed. If you do, quit and then tell them to get hosed. You're not making up an excuse to flake on hanging out with your friends, this is a business relationship and getting caught in even a small lie is way worse then whatever social friction you think you're going to avoid.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

ThePeavstenator posted:

This sounds like you aren't an employee of this staffing agency yet:

So what does this mean?:

yeah i'm afraid they'll say i agreed to do work, and i won't have any chance of proving that they wanted me to cheat

ThePeavstenator posted:

Also don't lie about getting hired by another company. If you don't work for this staffing agency right now, tell them to get hosed. If you do, quit and then tell them to get hosed. You're not making up an excuse to flake on hanging out with your friends, this is a business relationship and getting caught in even a small lie is way worse then whatever social friction you think you're going to avoid.

for the time being, i figured i'd act nicely towards them until i know i'm safe from any repercussions

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 7, 2022

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
if you want to really blow up some bridges you could do the interview, recording your pov, and then send it to the hiring company

this would be very likely to cause you a lot of pain and problems

Vinz Clortho
Jul 19, 2004

Good Sphere posted:

yeah i'm afraid they'll say i agreed to do work

What are the consequences to this?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Good Sphere posted:

yeah i'm afraid they'll say i agreed to do work, and i won't have any chance of proving that they wanted me to cheat

If you're not employed by this staffing company now and you don't know who the client is, it's probably better to just sever now.

Plorkyeran posted:

if you want to really blow up some bridges you could do the interview, recording your pov, and then send it to the hiring company

this would be very likely to cause you a lot of pain and problems

Yeah, if you signed a stack of legal agreements that include things like "I won't publicly divulge any client relationships lovely Staffing Inc has", then it's probably not going to go well for you if you blow the whistle. If you go through with it though please post about it though

Good Sphere posted:

for the time being, i figured i'd act nicely towards them until i know i'm safe from any repercussions

Ghosting is better than lying. If you don't want to do the interview and you don't want to deal with someone blowing up at you for "backing out" or "leaving us hanging" then ghost them, but do not lie. Here's a few possible outcomes of lying:
1. Your lie gets accepted without question, it's never brought up or thought of again, congrats you avoided an uncomfortable conversation
2. Your lie is accepted as true but disregarded or swept aside, and you're still under pressure to do something you don't want to do
3. You get follow-up questions and you come clean and have to go through the original confrontation you were trying to avoid with the added bonus that you lied
4. You get follow-up questions and you cover your lie with another lie, goto step 1

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Good Sphere posted:

when i was dabbling around with moonlighting at the beginning of last year one of the guys i was working with asked me to start submitting fraudulent timesheets to his client so he could 'make up' for my cost

unsurprisingly when i asked him to send me the request in writing he never got around to it. then the next day when i confronted him that what he was asking me to do was fraud he started acting like i was crazy and he would never do such a thing, how dare i?

fortunately for me i had my day job so it wasn't hard for me to sever. it sounds like you're in a much stickier situation. for an immediate solution you could try acting cocky and say you don't need their help on the interview. flat out refuse any attempts they make to butt in to the interview. whether you pass the interview or not is moot, as this is only meant to buy you time to get the gently caress out of that place

worst comes to worst though and they start putting overwhelming pressure on you then you need to quit on the spot. put your reasons why in writing and mail it to their hr, your manager, and be sure to CC your own personal email. this can get ugly quick but only if you allow them to help you defraud a customer

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Good Sphere posted:

so what? gently caress 'em. that's business. what are they going to do? take you to court and tell a judge that you "promised" to do some work and then the judge turns to you and you say, 'no i didn't' and he'll go 'oh ok case closed' and that's that

unless they have a contract with your signature on it saying you owe damages for failure to provide deliverables then you're fine. right to work is a colossal pile of poo poo but this is one of the situations where it actually benefits you. just hit the bricks. there's nothing they can do about it

quote:

no harm in this. personally i would have quit on the spot as soon as they made that ask of me, but i've also been to my fair share of rodeos and know where the legal limits of what an employer can do to me are

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

PIZZA.BAT posted:

so what? gently caress 'em. that's business. what are they going to do? take you to court and tell a judge that you "promised" to do some work and then the judge turns to you and you say, 'no i didn't' and he'll go 'oh ok case closed' and that's that

unless they have a contract with your signature on it saying you owe damages for failure to provide deliverables then you're fine. right to work is a colossal pile of poo poo but this is one of the situations where it actually benefits you. just hit the bricks. there's nothing they can do about it

no harm in this. personally i would have quit on the spot as soon as they made that ask of me, but i've also been to my fair share of rodeos and know where the legal limits of what an employer can do to me are

pedantically, you mean "at-will employment", right to work is the union busting poo poo.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

ThePeavstenator posted:

If you're not employed by this staffing company now and you don't know who the client is, it's probably better to just sever now.

also this 100%. if this is just the beginning of your relationship with the staffing agency then just ghost them. block their numbers and emails and pretend like this never happened. there's literally nothing they can do to you

silvergoose posted:

pedantically, you mean "at-will employment", right to work is the union busting poo poo.

lol yes, thank you

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Good Sphere posted:

I don't mean this in a negative way, but... How old are you? Do you have much work experience?

This is one of those things that, with experience, you'll learn can be solved by basically just saying "no thanks" and walking away.

It's okay if someone lovely gets mad at you...it's a big world and some scumbag not wanting to work with you again is not exactly a *problem.*

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Blinkz0rz posted:

i'm expecting most of my comp bump this cycle to be in equity. probably like 3-5% raise but a few hundred k over the next 4 years in rsus

gonna come back and quote this when it's 3% and another 10k a year in stock lol

who gets refreshers over four years.

also this is the first comp cycle in like 8 years where i legitimately don't care because i joined 3 months ago. woo!

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

unbutthurtable posted:

I don't mean this in a negative way, but... How old are you? Do you have much work experience?

This is one of those things that, with experience, you'll learn can be solved by basically just saying "no thanks" and walking away.

It's okay if someone lovely gets mad at you...it's a big world and some scumbag not wanting to work with you again is not exactly a *problem.*

i did sign papers, but nothing explaining what my work would be, since it was undetermined, except that i would do iOS dev.

they did not tell me they'd this until very recently. i had a lot of trust and appreciation built up, so it was jarring to hear that, and quite sad, because it immediately felt like this was wasted time. one of the silver linings is that i did have some true learning experiences

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

yeah this is one of those cases where it's a blessing in disguise. having a shop wave such a blatant red flag in your face this early in the process is really good for you. it makes it really easy to walk away

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

PIZZA.BAT posted:

yeah this is one of those cases where it's a blessing in disguise. having a shop wave such a blatant red flag in your face this early in the process is really good for you. it makes it really easy to walk away

gonna agree with you on that. i just don’t see it working out well or ever feeling ok with it. i had another interview around christmas, and they said they would get back to me. it sounded good, i feel the interviews went well, and they seem like cool, down to earth people. i reached out to them earlier today

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Good Sphere posted:

i did sign papers, but nothing explaining what my work would be, since it was undetermined, except that i would do iOS dev.

they did not tell me they'd this until very recently. i had a lot of trust and appreciation built up, so it was jarring to hear that, and quite sad, because it immediately felt like this was wasted time. one of the silver linings is that i did have some true learning experiences

So, the thing about "signing papers" is that you do this with every job. Like I just started a new job this past week and I had to sign all these onboarding papers and stuff, and when I got the job I signed and returned the written offer, etc.

But at the end of the day, at any point I can change my mind and say "I quit" and that's it.

Not only is it a blessing in disguise, but you're also not doing anything wrong at all by walking away.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

FamDav posted:

who gets refreshers over four years.

also this is the first comp cycle in like 8 years where i legitimately don't care because i joined 3 months ago. woo!

apple and google both have initial grants that vest over 4 years, and then the annual* refreshers each vest over their own 4 year schedule.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Good Sphere posted:

i.. am freaking out and cannot concentrate. i have an interview tomorrow setup by a recruiter. the recruiter wants to be on a skype call at the same time and display answers to questions on screen in case i don't know any. the recruiter (and their boss) informed me this is how everyone does it, which i don't buy, and i just want out. i'm conflicted by them helping quite a bit in prepping, and they'll probably never get paid by the company if i cancel or ignore tomorrow's interview. at the same time, i can't see myself doing this. it just sucks

I kinda wanna know what questions are being asked that a recruiter can a) answer them and b) quickly get them up on the screen before the umming and ahhing gets too awkward lol.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

the professional thing to do is to quit and not worry about it anymore

it might be tempting gently caress up the interview and then quit, but I don't see any benefit to that beyond being funny and there's a lot of ways it could blow back on you (they might want you anyway, you could get blackballed, etc.)

if there's a notice period make sure you follow it, in that case just do whatever with the interview I guess, maybe ignore the cheating hints they give you (or tell the guy from the staffing agency that you are not comfortable with it and will use your own skills, preferably over email, and then give your notice after)

all depends on what exactly your contract says (and what the law around it is)

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jan 7, 2022

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i did a contract or two when i started to get my foot in the door. you can quit at any time, its really easy. not only that you can say that you will definitely relocate for them and keep saying that you will relocate then quit the week you say you are going to move like i did. they cant do poo poo.

name and shame this staffing company

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

barkbell posted:

name and shame this staffing company

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
welp I submitted my writing and assessment results. pretty straightforward ctf stuff with enumeration, exploitation, and buffer overflows and I actually did better than I thought I would because they threw some curveballs in there.

got an interview set up for next week

also my boss called me just a bit ago asking if I was happy with work and I just lied to his face and it felt real good. they’re hiring a buncha folks now so they’ll be fine, goodbye

handle
Jan 20, 2011

i'm finally looking at other jobs again (previous attempt) and i'd love any feedback on my resume.

i'm having others review it too, it seems very unbalanced for the entry-level programming/programming-adjacent jobs i'm looking at. not everything listed is on github yet because it's still getting cleaned up but that'll happen before i start applying.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

you don't have a skills section. get one of those. then we can talk about the rest

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

handle posted:

i'm finally looking at other jobs again (previous attempt) and i'd love any feedback on my resume.

i'm having others review it too, it seems very unbalanced for the entry-level programming/programming-adjacent jobs i'm looking at. not everything listed is on github yet because it's still getting cleaned up but that'll happen before i start applying.

you're wasting a lot of real estate on your address and everything. you should crush that down to one line that is just "city * phone * email" (my wife does job stuff for a living now and she told me nobody puts addresses on resumes anymore)

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
also cut everything about being a to-go packer unless you're applying for more togo packer jobs

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

if you want to include everything ever just make sure it’s on page 2 and everything important is on page 1. algorithms might parse page 2 but humans will only ever look at page 1

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

if you want to include everything ever just make sure it’s on page 2 and everything important is on page 1. algorithms might parse page 2 but humans will only ever look at page 1

there shouldnt be a page 2 unless you have more than about 15 years of relevant experience. including everything ever is basically a completely invalid decision in a resume

(if you have more than 15 years of relevant experience, your method of getting jobs is calling your old buddies who are now in hiring positions, shooting the poo poo with them a bit, then doin some jumpin through hoops then getting an offer, not resume bullshit)

i am not changed in my opinion that you could walk into an 80k/year jr dev job right now.

- cut every bullet point into one line
- 3-5 bullet points per job total
- excise togo packer entirely or shove into fewer than 6 words, this is a marketing document not a rigorous reflection of things
- all the space freed up will make room for a skills section
- i tend to believe projects section is still good, but you are still unbelievably wordy. theres entire stories stuck in there
- the stories should be for the interview, not the resume.
- resumes are marketing, interviews are sales, the difference can be vast
- this is a marketing document, would you accept this prose in an advertisement

if you have even part of undergrad, might still be worth having one line in there about it. otherwise leaving out education entirely may be ok. i dunno about associates degree ok you have a ged rereading the thread leave that poo poo out

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 8, 2022

handle
Jan 20, 2011

thank you folks so much! i'll repost after vetting an improved version. the two-page thing was setting off alarm bells internally but i struggle with wordiness.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
as a non-degree haver, leaving out education has worked for me.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah my advice is kinda poo poo on that very specific topic

i got degrees from plutocrat school, wtf do i know about bein embarrassed about my education at work

"cut the loving thing to one page" is not joking tho

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
people know what "no education listed" means, and will overlook it if you have enough actual stuff going on.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

handle posted:

thank you folks so much! i'll repost after vetting an improved version. the two-page thing was setting off alarm bells internally but i struggle with wordiness.

it’s hard to do, but one page is still the way to go imo.

fewer things to quiz you on (if it is on there it is fair game) but you can discuss details of your projects in an interview. “description in broad strokes and only the most relevant things to that particular job” is what i try for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

sitting on top of two job offers and i haven’t ever been as conflicted over a choice.

a - i would change both field and profession basically, from ds/ml in tech to (non-traditional) swe in finance. 10% lower base comp than the other offer, likely substantially better total comp - especially if stick around for more than 2-3 years. globally prestigious, but boutique and non-american cv entry

b - i remain in ds/ml for tech. likely worse total comp, but also i don’t fully understand the extra benefit - which is some kind of internal stock exchange type of affair where i can buy discounted (at ?? rate) shares from the company and enjoy the guarantee to sell them back to it (at ?? rate). don’t even ask me what latvian irs thinks of that. non-manga silicon valley with bulk of employees scattered throughout us, with my team being just a few people in europe - which i do find if not problematic, but at least unsettling

on one hand, B people put indisputable effort into getting me and i think the other candidate (i got waitlisted first) into the team may have ultimately bailed, so i know will feel lovely if i end up knocking the wind out of the sails of the hiring manager, who from all i can tell is a decent person. on the other hand im not very confident in the future of the field and staying in-demand and well compensated, and exit opportunities are going to definitely be more narrow than where i can go right now

on the other hand, A people, despite some wigglage of eyebrows during the interview process, are bringing in the bag. if i just hit the average quoted variable comp, A-B for year 1 is a down payment on a home (latvian prices but nonetheless). its the sort of a place i have always genuinely wanted to get work experience from too, and the job is most likely going to become interesting within a year. on the other hand, while my future exit options are going to be quite wide, with field transition ill clearly become a bit more junior in the market and will have unclear bargaining power, unless something scares me badly enough that im looking for a job just a year later already. also they haven’t given me the full contract yet, so there may be some traditional finance stuff hidden in it (person who gave offer wasn’t qualified to discuss, but they seem to have slain majority of dragons i asked about)

basically i just want to vent for a bit, since this is my safe space for talking about job poo poo not really relevant to life of an average latvian, though im also curious what y’all think of this.

in the end, decision is kind of already made - worst case scenario with A, where base=total comp, means im still enjoying a ~70% raise compared to a year ago, and you can do the math for what then it looks like it base is, say, 75% or the total. so ive given tentative yes to A and remain hopeful that there won’t be some monstrous “no hobby coding” clause in the contract to try to reopen the “tentatively no” door with B

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 8, 2022