Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

discoukulele posted:

s04e18 - Intersections in Real Time

Don’t have a whole lot of specific things to say about this one. It was a fascinating episode. I’m really curious to find out what was real and what wasn’t after that ending.

JMS was involved in some cult-y subcultures in Southern California in the 1970s. He knows his mindfucks, messiah complexes, and reality bending. That experience informs several episodes of the show. David Gerrold also uses his cult experiences in his fiction, huge chunks of the Chtorr series are derived directly from real-world cults.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

discoukulele posted:

s04e22 – The Destruction of Falling Stars
  • 1000 years in the future, things feel very Dark Ages. This monastery is not being recognized by Rome. Earth got destroyed in the war 500 years ago (the Great Burn). The younger priest is doubting a myth about Lorien. Prophecy says that the Rangers will return to rebuild the Alliance.

It's a great episode, but I've never liked the bit with the monks. Why do people writing primitive future societies always think it's just going to be a carbon copy of the middle ages? I'm sure they could have come up with something more interesting than monks and abbeys and repeating the 1300s verbatim. It just feels so lazy.

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jan 4, 2022

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It's a quote of the extremely excellent Canticle for Liebowitz

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Sweevo posted:

It's a great episode, but I've never liked the bit with the monks. Why do people writing primitive future societies always think it's just going to be a carbon copy of the middle ages? I'm sure they could have come up with something more interesting than monks and abbeys and repeating the 1300s verbatim. It just feels so lazy.

Keep in mind we don't truly know what the world is like outside of that one monastery. Yes, there's a low tech society and Rome is still influential in a religious sense, but of the two characters we see, one is intentionally doing the whole preserving ancient knowledge thing and grooming the other for the role. It's shorthand maybe, but for a what, eight or ten-minute segment in a hastily-written episode, I wouldn't expect anything more fully fleshed out.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If you start watching the show knowing that all five seasons were made, you're not getting the real 90s watch experience. There was a threat of cancellation every year, but the show was renewed the first three seasons because the execs at PTEN thought it could continue to grow the audience. When it came time to sign for season 5, they didn't have that confidence, so they declined to renew it. Fortunately, JMS was able to strike a deal with TNT to do the fifth season.

This did have some pretty significant effect on the end of season 4, though. Basically, JMS had to choose between either filming what he'd originally planned and risking an incomplete series, or cutting some material so that the show could have a resolution of some kind. He chose the latter, and so we got what could've been a series finale at the end of season 4. If all of this hadn't happened, s4e18 would've been the season finale.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

sebmojo posted:

which reminds me that's been on my reading list for awhile

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

ultrafilter posted:

If you start watching the show knowing that all five seasons were made, you're not getting the real 90s watch experience. There was a threat of cancellation every year, but the show was renewed the first three seasons because the execs at PTEN thought it could continue to grow the audience. When it came time to sign for season 5, they didn't have that confidence, so they declined to renew it. Fortunately, JMS was able to strike a deal with TNT to do the fifth season.

This did have some pretty significant effect on the end of season 4, though. Basically, JMS had to choose between either filming what he'd originally planned and risking an incomplete series, or cutting some material so that the show could have a resolution of some kind. He chose the latter, and so we got what could've been a series finale at the end of season 4. If all of this hadn't happened, s4e18 would've been the season finale.

That isn't quite correct. B5 was canceled after it's fourth season because the "network" (actually a first run syndication package) it ran on, PTEN, itself was folding up shop. PTEN had been formed in '93 as a joint venture between Warner and Chris-Craft (a boating manufacturing company that owned a bunch of non-network TV stations) but by '95 Warner was founding the WB and Chris-Craft was signing up with Paramount to help launch UPN. So when the renewal deal came up for PTEN in '97, Chris-Craft bailed out to focus on UPN instead and PTEN ceased to exist.

Chris-Craft ended up losing $500m on UPN, went bankrupt in 2001, and CBS-Viacom picked over the corpse and bought the rights to UPN for a measly $5m, and eventually teamed up with Warner in 2006 to merge the husk of UPN with the WB into the CW we know today in 2006.

Shoulda stuck with PTEN, Chris-Craft. Maybe you'd still be around if you'd kept playing the B5 card instead of letting Voyager destroy you. :colbert:

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

sebmojo posted:

Untrue. JMS has very publicly never read that book, heard of that book and, if you ask him, will in fact deny the book exists. So, of course, it could never have influenced him.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

jng2058 posted:

The CW we know today in 2006.

Which is, ironically, the network financing the remake. History may not repeat, but it rhymes.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

sebmojo posted:

Somewhat:

jms posted:

Interesting aside...for the last 6-8 months, I've been doing a fair amount of research into medieval England, especially the medieval church, for a play I'm writing (which may become a novel if I'm not careful). Dumped several hundred dollars on a massive order from Amazon.com back a few months ago to fill out what I needed. That was what tangentially led me into the post-Burn sequence in "Deconstruction." My brain has been full of monks for the last 8 months or so, and knowing the role they played in maintaining secular knowledge from about 500 AD and for some time thereafter, that seemed the perfect route to go that would also resonate with the look of the Rangers and the religious caste Minbari and the whole feel we were setting up.
It was only when I was about halfway into the act that I thought, "Oh, crud, this is the same area Canticle explored." And for several days I set it aside and strongly considered dropping it, or changing the venue (at one point considered setting it in the ruins of a university, but I couldn't make that work realistically...who'd be supporting a university in the ruins of a major nuclear war? Who'd have the *resources* I needed? The church, or what would at least LOOK like the church. My sense of backstory here is that the Anla-shok moved in and started little "abbeys" all over the place, using the church as cover, but rarely actually a part of it, which was why they had not gotten their recognition, and would never get it. Rome probably didn't even know about them, or knew them only distantly.)

Anyway...at the end of the day, I decided to leave it as it was, since I'd gotten there on an independent road, we'd already had a number of monks on B5, and there's been a LOT of theocratic science fiction written beyond Canticle...Gather Darkness, aspects of Foundation, others.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Polaron posted:

Which is, ironically, the network financing the remake. History may not repeat, but it rhymes.

That's just a straight up rights issue. The B5 DVDs are published by Warner Home Media, and Warner still has the TV rights to the show, so of course they're going to air it on the network they've got 50% control of. It might have been nice if they'd gone the other possible distribution chain...through HBO, if only to get a sniff of those HBO stacks of cash rather than CW pocket change...but then we'd be looking at 8-10 episode seasons. :shrug:

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 5, 2022

Jows
May 8, 2002

jng2058 posted:

That's just a straight up rights issue. The B5 DVDs are published by Warner Home Media, and Warner still has the TV rights to the show, so of course they're going to air it on the network they've got 50% control of. It might have been nice if they'd gone the other possible distribution chain...through HBO, if only to get a sniff of those HBO stacks of cash rather than CW pocket change...but then we'd be looking at 8-10 episode seasons. :shrugs:

B5 on HBO: More than just Londo's dick

Jows fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 5, 2022

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
CW makes a bunch of great shows on a shoestring budget, B5 will very much be at home there. HBO would drain it of all optimism and melodrama to make it "gritty" "realistic" and "grown up". We have enough shows with muted color palettes about hard men making hard choices against the forces of adversity.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

jng2058 posted:

That's just a straight up rights issue. The B5 DVDs are published by Warner Home Media, and Warner still has the TV rights to the show, so of course they're going to air it on the network they've got 50% control of. It might have been nice if they'd gone the other possible distribution chain...through HBO, if only to get a sniff of those HBO stacks of cash rather than CW pocket change...but then we'd be looking at 8-10 episode seasons. :shrug:

Jows posted:

B5 on HBO: More than just Londo's dick

Seriously. :rolleyes:

Vitruvian Manic posted:

CW makes a bunch of great shows on a shoestring budget, B5 will very much be at home there. HBO would drain it of all optimism and melodrama to make it "gritty" "realistic" and "grown up". We have enough shows with muted color palettes about hard men making hard choices against the forces of adversity.

I think I agree, but I'm moving why to the other thread...

Discussion continued on the regular B5 Thread here so I can be more specific.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yes please, let's move back to this being a clean room for new watch friends :angel:

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
I've been really surprised by the CW's quality recently. I actually really dug the 100 (for all of it's quirks) so I'm interested to see what they do.

Watchin In The Beginning with my friend right now (who also just finished season 4) and it owns so far.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've never watched anything on the CW but I'm sure JMS would not have agreed to do a B5 reboot if he wasn't happy with the level of creative control. He's been through enough fights with networks and isn't hurting for work so bad he'd just take any offer.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
I'm just loling at the fact that they're aging everyone down by giving them dorky hair. And I'm also really happy that we get an Ivanovna cameo.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
I'll have more thoughts later, but yeah, In The Beginning owned. I loved the extra context about Sinclair's capture and why exactly the Minbari surrendered. The ending (with Londo facing death) killed me. Especially his line to the Centauri woman where he's like (paraphrasing) "I wish I could walk with you on the beach for five minutes. I never thought I would want something so simple in the end."

On to Thirdspace!

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
So we're watching Thirdspace and my friend asked a question about Mira Furlon so I looked up her Wikipedia and I didn't know that she just died last year. drat :(

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

discoukulele posted:

So we're watching Thirdspace and my friend asked a question about Mira Furlon so I looked up her Wikipedia and I didn't know that she just died last year. drat :(

Yeah, it kind of came out of nowhere and surprised everybody a few months ago.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

discoukulele posted:

A full half of the cast is gone. :(

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

Chevy Slyme posted:

A full half of the cast is gone. :(

Well drat :(

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
Jumbled thoughts about the two movies (I wasn't actively taking notes)

In The Beginning
Loved it. One of the best B5 experiences so far. I loved the way that it gave us some missing context for major plot points (more details about Sinclair's Minbari encounter, Sheridan's war hero moment, Delenn's plot to end the war, etc.). My only complaint is that there were a few things that didn't feel like they gelled with the series so far, specifically with characters evidently interacting in the past but having no apparent history together in the show. I'm thinking specifically of G'Kar, Franklin, and Sheridan going on their diplomatic mission together, and Delenn interacting with Ulkesh. As far as I can tell, none of that was even hinted at by the series until then. It's not a big deal, but it did stand out. And like I said, I loved Londo's moments a lot. I love that this series continues to add context to scenes that you've already seen before, and that was one of the best.

Thirdspace
I thought this was a whole lot of fun, and so did my friend (he's seen the series before, but not all of the movies, so this was new for him). Both of us are fans of sci-fi horror, and I'm a big Lovecraft nerd, so we ate it up. I was really missing the horror elements from B5; they kinda vanished from the series after a couple of seasons. I also loved the extra information about Lyta's journey to Vorlon space, as well as Zack's elevator scene with her. My only real quibble with it was the ending - so, half of the people on B5 have no memory of any of this (fair), but the other half who weren't ensorcelled witnessed some major, widespread disaster and destruction within the station, but everyone just acts like none of this ever happened going forward? Kinda similar to my complaint about In The Beginning. But, I get that both movies happened during the move to TNT and so they're a little bit apocryphal, so whatever. In the end, Thirdspace was a lot of schlocky B-movie antics and I was absolutely here for it.

So yeah, I thought they were both great in different ways and I had a lot of fun with them. I also loved getting to see some Ivanova cameos in both movies after her departure at the end of S4.

On to season 5, hell yeah let's go

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

discoukulele posted:

West Nile virus, of all things

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Erulisse posted:

^ Also, DS9 is all about promenade (the ring itself that appears to be what, ~500m dia tops?) whereas B5 entire inside surface appear to be inhabited, that is apparent from a few shots.

The "inside surface" is mostly parks and stuff like that. Most people live between it and the outer wall, which is 40 stories tall and is mostly living space and offices and the like. B5 is a skyscraper that is ~1.25x8km wide that has a nice rooftop garden, that has then been bent into hollow cylinder and had the ends closed off.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

discoukulele posted:

In The Beginning
My only complaint is that there were a few things that didn't feel like they gelled with the series so far, specifically with characters evidently interacting in the past but having no apparent history together in the show. I'm thinking specifically of G'Kar, Franklin, and Sheridan going on their diplomatic mission together, and Delenn interacting with Ulkesh. As far as I can tell, none of that was even hinted at by the series until then. It's not a big deal, but it did stand out.

I've always felt exactly the same. Those characters are basically there just because they are main characters and the writer/studio decided they had to be included somehow, and it makes no sense story wise - particularly for G'Kar.

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jan 7, 2022

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

discoukulele posted:

Jumbled thoughts about the two movies (I wasn't actively taking notes)

In The Beginning
Loved it. One of the best B5 experiences so far. I loved the way that it gave us some missing context for major plot points (more details about Sinclair's Minbari encounter, Sheridan's war hero moment, Delenn's plot to end the war, etc.). My only complaint is that there were a few things that didn't feel like they gelled with the series so far, specifically with characters evidently interacting in the past but having no apparent history together in the show. I'm thinking specifically of G'Kar, Franklin, and Sheridan going on their diplomatic mission together, and Delenn interacting with Ulkesh. As far as I can tell, none of that was even hinted at by the series until then. It's not a big deal, but it did stand out. And like I said, I loved Londo's moments a lot. I love that this series continues to add context to scenes that you've already seen before, and that was one of the best.

I always justify that by them being younger and all aliens looking the same to them. The humans together doesn't not work even if it isn't totally perfect. All narns are just G' this or Ja' that.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Sweevo posted:

I've always felt exactly the same. Those characters are basically there just because they are main characters and the writer/studio decided they had to be included somehow, and it makes no sense story wise - particularly for G'Kar.

Londo's also the one telling the story and probably inserted people he knew to make things more interesting

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Polaron posted:

Londo's also the one telling the story and probably inserted people he knew to make things more interesting

I hadn't thought of that but it makes a lot of sense.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

Polaron posted:

Oh yeah, I like that.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
The Zack and Lyta Elevator scene in Thirdspace is hilarious when you consider how it came about

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
oh my god that's amazing lmao

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
s05e01 – No Compromises
  • Captain Lochley, you are no Ivanova :colbert: (jk I’ll probably end up liking her)
  • lmao at all of the cheeseball threatening messages
  • aw yay, G’Kar gets to write the oath and the declaration for the new alliance
  • Simon is creepy af
  • and of course the kid with mutism is the one who sees the assassin
  • I love this implication that no one else bothered to look at G’Kar’s declaration and oath before the inauguration
  • Hell yeah Garibalid’s head if intel

s05e02 – The Very Long Night of Londo Mollari
  • Lennier :(
  • this loving Centauri tarot deck omg yes
  • I love seeing Vir and Lennier together and I wish they had more scenes. I also wonder if the bartender giving him a Shirley Temple is their way of moderating his S4 alcoholism?
  • I believe that’s Sheridan with a Ranger pin?
  • the scene at the end when Londo apologizes to G’Kar :(
  • Very curious about Londo’s development after this episode, especially with the story about the dueling spirits
  • And Lennier’s gone :(

s05e03 – The Paragon of Animals
  • Not diggin the Sheridan goatee btw
  • so Bester is apparently hosed up from being in someone’s mind while they died
  • So like, is no one going to point out that using telepaths for covert ops is p much just as bad as Earth was? The telepaths are refusing since they don’t want to be used again, but no one’s really bringing up the ethical privacy issues
  • The Drazi have been behind the Raider attacks the whole time
  • Okay, now they’re talking about how hosed up using telepaths are, but I think that ship’s already sailing.
  • Bigger picture, I’m assuming that a lot of what Byron’s up to is going to lead to the telepath war.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

s01e19-20 - A Voice in the Wilderness, Parts I and II
This is going to be really brief since I saw these two episodes in pieces over the last few weeks and didn't have a chance to do my usual "record my thoughts during or right after watching" thing.
  • Nobody seems to have thought to wonder what the odds are that out of all the planets in the galaxy, they happened to build their big snazzy space station right next to the only one that has an alien wall-guy and a missile defense system.
  • Was Babylon 4 at this planet too? Did its mysterious disappearance have anything to do with the mysterious, tremendously powerful alien outpost right downstairs?
  • All these worlds are yours except Epsilon 3. Attempt no landing there.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

• All these worlds are yours except Epsilon 3. Attempt no landing there.

:golfclap:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

s01e21 - Babylon Squared
  • Cool, an episode full of good old-fashioned sci-fi weirdness. I approve.
  • So B4 was in this same system. Was it also orbiting the planet with the mysterious aliens? Like, is Sector 14 just an area the planet goes through once a year as it orbits the star, and it's where it happened to be when the Time Shenanigans happened? Or was the station off in another part of the solar system?
  • Garibaldi and Sinclair's conversation in the shuttle ("fasten, then zip") feels almost like a minute of dialog from a Seinfeld episode got dropped into a B5. :)
  • I like the design of B4. A little more complex than B5 with the outside ring spinning the other way, plus it's a lovely color.
  • Hah, HBO accidentally left one of the commercial bumpers in.
  • I'm guessing Sinclair's time flash with Full Metal Jacket Garibaldi ("Come get some!") took him to the future, but that's never made explicit and Sinclair doesn't really seem to dwell on it.
  • The One's blue spacesuit appears to be one of the exact same suits from 2001: A Space Odyssey. :neckbeard: (See below.)
  • I was already half expecting The One to be Sinclair just because of the combination of hidden-face, time-travel-fuckery, and you-have-a-destiny, but it was still a pretty cool reveal. (Was Delenn the woman offscreen? Kind of sounded like her.)
  • Speaking of Delenn, I don't have much of a reaction to her B-plot where she turns down leadership of the gray council. Might have landed better for me if we had more of an idea yet just what this council actually, you know, is. Is it the legitimate Minbari government? An Illuminati-style secret society? A Star Trek fan club?
  • So now there are over a thousand people who are going to go home to find they were given up for dead four years ago. Their families have held their funerals and executed their wills. Hell, their spouses might have remarried. As far as they're concerned, yesterday it was 2254, so suddenly they're four years younger than they "should" be. That's a hell of an interesting premise all by itself. Do they band together? Disperse to whatever's left of their individual lives? Become minor celebrities? I wonder if the show will ever revisit any of these folks.

2001:

B5:

If that IS the exact same suit, it's still in drat good shape considering it'd be around 25 years old at the time this episode was made.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Re: space suits, It was a leftover from the 80's 2010 film as that's what they got from the props company

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Re: space suits, It was a leftover from the 80's 2010 film as that's what they got from the props company

Yeah, that makes more sense. And you'd think I would have remembered that that movie existed, considering I quoted it in this very thread just last night. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

s01e21 - Babylon Squared
  • Speaking of Delenn, I don't have much of a reaction to her B-plot where she turns down leadership of the gray council. Might have landed better for me if we had more of an idea yet just what this council actually, you know, is. Is it the legitimate Minbari government? An Illuminati-style secret society? A Star Trek fan club?

I'm not sure how spelled out it is, but all throughout the season there were hints dropped that Delenn was some bigshot in Minbari society, way above the level of the other ambassadors within their governments. Most prominently in episode 17 when she resolves the tension of some warrior caste bigshot causing trouble by just dragging him into a room and using her authority to just order him to stop and apologize.