Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Xbox havers can try 2042 for free from Jan 6th to Jan 9th apparently. Pretty great free weekend opportunity for folks on the fence.

https://gamerant.com/battlefield-2042-free-xbox/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

nightwisher posted:

Eh rush died out weeks ago, the spawns are just too broken to have any kind of balanced play. Semi decent attacking team would never lose, half the rounds end within 5 minutes. 64 breakthrough is superior in every way.

It's really unfortunate because they'll blindly look at the results, conclude that nobody likes rush, and go from there.

Rather than figure out why people wanted to play rush, what makes it fun, or figure out what disappointed the audience they'll chase the next trendy thing (with a similar lack of understanding).

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I have the 10 hour EA play Xbox game pass thing, and in the first round I played a vehicle took a turn near me and hit the corner of a dumpster/container and just drove (not fall/clip) into the ground

I couldn't jump after reviving someone, I realized after I couldn't mantle

There was a character crouched, with no rus/us thing above there head, frozen for a long time near one of the points. I would pass them frequently like green boots

after playing a few rounds I can say it felt like it was always kind of laggy.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I appreciate the green boots reference

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Got my takedown kill for the weekly running the full way on top of the stadium roof to the lone sniper on it on the rim firing on A1.
Ran the full way, not once did he look back or some prick in a heli come along.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Trying to run up behind someone for a takedown yesterday made me realise there’s space slash a niche for a stealth operator.

No invisibility bullshit of course, just a guy who’s passive ability is quieter footsteps. and maybe they dont glow red in killcams out to a certain distance or something.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

lol they removed Rush.

I never played it, but i know it was one of the few goodwill features they managed to roll out over the last few months and they removed it.

rush 100% was not finished baking and needed to go back into the oven and the state it was released in was, imo, worse than not releasing it at all. They got little bits of it right, but all in all it felt substantially more rushed out than even the rest of the game.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1479439973724131335

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
https://twitter.com/OmniExxo/status/1479108559803613201?t=K625tna0o91jY06QBmrwKw&s=19

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wasn't there some kind of controversy over the Battlefront 2 subreddit being run or sponsored by EA?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Who is this person?

Guessing the DICE person is running a blocklist, which isn't too surprising.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Wasn't there some kind of controversy over the Battlefront 2 subreddit being run or sponsored by EA?

There was an EA comment that was the most downvoted comment of all time, might be thinking of that. The main Battlefield subreddit isn't nearly as bad as the 2042 one.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

The list of everything thats been downgraded/removed from the game (which got locked by the mods) includes a few pet peeves of my own:

- No persistent lobbies (seriously why do I have to matchmake after EVERY round?)
- No lock-on launchers (The M5 works with the SOFLAM but that requires 2 people) - The SOFLAM is loving useless.
- Cannot spawn in a passenger seat in transports at round start. - This, despite the fact that at the start of the round it gives you the impression you can spawn in a vehicle. Instead you gotta hope someone picks you up.
- No laser designation kill assist points - Go back to my point about SOFLAM.
- No self promote to squad lead using "request order" - this would have been nice to have
- Lack of persistent servers means poor map rotation (I played for 10 hours and never saw Kaleidescope, Orbital, or Breakaway) - Playing hourglass 3 times in a row? Ugh.
- No naval maps - Or vehicles really. The hovercraft really isnt a naval vehicle.

Is this a joke?

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 7, 2022

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
soflam is extremely not useless

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

90% of the time when I try to take advantage of it the diamond disappears by the time I take my launcher out. It's pretty annoying.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

happyhippy posted:

Got my takedown kill for the weekly running the full way on top of the stadium roof to the lone sniper on it on the rim firing on A1.
Ran the full way, not once did he look back or some prick in a heli come along.

I spent a whole round of Hourglass and one of Manifest trying to do it. When it didn't do regular melee, I just got ganked before I could do it or before the animation could finish.

Next round I ran across some dope lying prone on Manifest who ignored me completely while I axed him a question.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
I got the takedown within one minute of booting up the game yesterday. Dopey snipers on top of the big building on Orbital have no clue.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

- No naval maps - Or vehicles really. The hovercraft really isnt a naval vehicle.

And yet, for some reason, the title screen is a battleship.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys
SOFLAM rules, its a great gadget that actually promotes teamwork and communication. It is bullshit that you dont get assist points for vehicle takedowns with it. Or any vehicle takedown assists for that matter.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Is this a joke?

The halo subreddit did it for a little while. So I assume no?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I tried playing again and I didn't get a chance to play rush, breakthrough was tiring though.

Like, I don't even have smoke grenades? I feel stupid trying to push these long rear end distances over fields.

No one was playing objective! I was gunning in a tank and the point was FEET in front of us, the last of the two and it was going to be lost in a moment. Instead of teetering the tank forward they start to back up. I hop out immediately and run into the point to try and stop it from being capped

I've seen people when it's our last point just completely run in the opposite direction when it's only a couple of ticks away and all you need to do is stand! on! the! point!

These issues could be mitigated with a friend in my squad, squad sucks as it is it's really rear end.

No all chat? I keep forgetting but drat. And yeah the scoreboard is a pisser, I can 100% imagine it being removed because in EVERY game you'll have people with triple digit kills simply from the tiniest bit of coordination, camping corners with auto turrets and resupplying

And I know dice, I've played every other battlefield (only like 60 hours in BF5 tho tbh) and considering the next content drop probably won't be until June is nuts. I would consider buying at 10. Consider

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Propaganda Hour posted:

Xbox havers can try 2042 for free from Jan 6th to Jan 9th apparently. Pretty great free weekend opportunity for folks on the fence.

https://gamerant.com/battlefield-2042-free-xbox/

"Try this crossplay enabled multiplayer FPS, by the way aim assist doesn't work on consoles so have fun!"

Can't see how this won't drive console sales through the roof!

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

whaley posted:

soflam is extremely not useless

You dont get assist XP so....

Uriah Heep posted:

SOFLAM rules, its a great gadget that actually promotes teamwork and communication. It is bullshit that you dont get assist points for vehicle takedowns with it. Or any vehicle takedown assists for that matter.

Exactly, so hence the reason you dont see it in game.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 7, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm home. My weekend can't start until I get this knife kill.

Edit: gently caress yeah, it's Friday now

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 7, 2022

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

"Try this crossplay enabled multiplayer FPS, by the way aim assist doesn't work on consoles so have fun!"

Can't see how this won't drive console sales through the roof!

I had similar sentiments with having the free Steam weekend when they did. Granted my expectations, while being pessimistic were still too optimistic. I thought the Steam numbers would hit peak concurrent around 40-50K during the weekend (hit just under 48K) and then stay above 20K after the free weekend from sales up from the 18-19K before.

It was actually under 20K and now is struggling to get above 12K. Free weekends of a unpolished game actually drive away sales.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

You dont get assist XP so....

I am 50% sure you get assist exp if the vehicle you paint is killed within like 5 seconds. Of course it should be changed to give you assist exp as long as it has the diamond on it.

You get assist exp from spotting other players though. And it's really useful to just pull out the SOFLAM and sweep it over the combat area to mark enemies for like 10s for everyone on your team.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Exactly, so hence the reason you dont see it in game.

There is almost always 1 person or more using it on 128p breakthrough and conquest. Or people will just say in chat they are going to start using it and vehicles start to evaporate.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

aim assist doesn't work on consoles so have fun!

does it not? one of the guys in the squad i play with is on playstation 5 and doesn't have seem to have any trouble aiming with the controller

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

whaley posted:

does it not? one of the guys in the squad i play with is on playstation 5 and doesn't have seem to have any trouble aiming with the controller

It does, it's just not as good as they want it to be yet

https://twitter.com/DRUNKKZ3/status/1469001708575596557

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

Okay yeah because if it was non-existent I'd expect every console player to have 0 kills

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

whaley posted:

It works if they're standing still. If they're moving, putting your crosshairs over them actually accelerates your aim so you slide off.

Fortunately I don't need to aim all that well in a wildcat so...

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Got my melee on Breakthrough attack. Wingsuit to drop behind the enemies + smoke. They never turn round, so I had my pick. Luckily with the buginess of the takedown. Didn't even need the smoke.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

did the other battlefields not have aim assist? is this another thing that was working fine that they just completely broke when doing nothing would have been better?

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Got my melee on Breakthrough attack. Wingsuit to drop behind the enemies + smoke. They never turn round, so I had my pick. Luckily with the buginess of the takedown. Didn't even need the smoke.

same but it took 30 attempts because takedowns are really broken. this was working in bfv just fine.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

There is no reason to run wookie balls because SOFLAM is so effective at spotting. It rocks telling your team that SOFLAM is around a point and watching the assists roll in.

And you do get kill assists in vehicles from SOFLAM but it's really spotty.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I think i just played probably my worst game so far, and this is saying something. 128 player breakthrough, server remained at 36 x 38 for all of it. Heaps of bots and people under level 40. Terrible. At 11am oceania time.

Goes to show that even in a poo poo round, a good map is still a good map. With this game’s 7 piss poor maps, a poo poo round is just a miserable experience. But it does make me get off the computer and go do something more constructive

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

The list of everything thats been downgraded/removed from the game (which got locked by the mods) includes a few pet peeves of my own:

- No self promote to squad lead using "request order" - this would have been nice to have

Is this a joke?

Good news! There's literally no point in being a squad leader anyway. There's no xp or points or anything for following squad orders and as far as I can tell any squad member can ping a point for 'orders'.
Squad play does not exist in this game except for being mobile spawn points and sometimes getting a squad revive.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

toggle posted:

I think i just played probably my worst game so far, and this is saying something. 128 player breakthrough, server remained at 36 x 38 for all of it. Heaps of bots and people under level 40. Terrible. At 11am oceania time.

Goes to show that even in a poo poo round, a good map is still a good map. With this game’s 7 piss poor maps, a poo poo round is just a miserable experience. But it does make me get off the computer and go do something more constructive

Oh well, DICE will just straight up remove Oceania servers due to "lack of interest" like they did in BFV and you won't have to worry about it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm starting to see servers take several minutes to fill up with enough players in the US so yeah, things are getting pretty bad

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Free weekend huh. Did they add squad assists etc yet? <Checks thread> huh nope ok nevermind ill pass.

Did they add they ever add in the commrose btw?

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

jisforjosh posted:

Oh well, DICE will just straight up remove Oceania servers due to "lack of interest" like they did in BFV and you won't have to worry about it.

Was that a pc/recent thing? I’m in australia and there were always xbox oceania servers to play on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ZeusCannon posted:

Did they add they ever add in the commrose btw?

It's always been in. Hold Q.