Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

especially anything further east or north than the town of North East, PA. Pretty good hint

Cute little town, my dad and I drove through it during a no-interstates roadtrip out to boston once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Yes, it's in Pennsylvania like Philadelphia is

annex philly to jersey

Cleveland and Columbus have nothing whatsoever in common with Pittsburgh, they're entirely different vibes.

pgh and cle are super similar, cbus might as well be mars

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

none of you dweebs could handle se michigan

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 21 minutes!
My brother moved to Columbus for a job and I hate that fuckin' town, you can't get to the bathroom to take a piss without getting in your car.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I lived and drove in michigan for years and was absolutely part of the problem

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

you have to be or you're dead

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

The very last thing I did in Michigan was hit some ice and slide into a snowbank right by the Indiana border as I was leaving :patriot:

I mean what's the point of having a bumper if you're not going to use it

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Cat Face Joe posted:

none of you dweebs could handle se michigan

i vacationed in detroit for years

also, toledo joke

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

The Fool posted:

all tax prep companies are bad, but intuit is probably the worst

im annoyed they bought creditkarma because i like using creditkarma for taxes and resent that they are technically intuit now.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Fortaleza posted:

oregon drivers are famously safe compared to neighboring states and it's not uncommon to see some rear end in a top hat with CA plates get frustrated that people aren't speeding

i took a road trip from the bay to seattle this year, and yeah this is for real. oregon has very good drivers. very nice people to share the road with.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Pittsburgh is in the northeast

:thunk:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the canadian weighs in

Apr 7, 2003
Probation

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

that chart is broadly accurate but is trying way to hard to give every region a secondary name. why yes, i grew up in the East North Central part of the country :smug:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that map's scale is too large to reflect the detail that pittsburgh is a special carveout as the very beginning of the midwest.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

pa and ny are also huge to the point where, from the western border to the coastal areas, you are basically driving across 1/6 of the country. the western and eastern portions are basically two different worlds

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
half of the michigan UP and all of the lower part and ohio are in eastern time. fail

Apr 7, 2003
Probation

The_Franz posted:

pa and ny are also huge to the point where, from the western border to the coastal areas, you are basically driving across 1/6 of the country. the western and eastern portions are basically two different worlds

I grew up in NEPA, it really ain't that different from here.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
when i travelled through the detroit airport, the pa system made a point of announcing that the airport was eastern, not central, time every five minutes or so

that whole airport was full of lols

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

that map's scale is too large to reflect the detail that pittsburgh is a special carveout as the very beginning of the midwest.

pittsburgh is in no way west mid or otherwise lmao

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
san francisco <------ midwest ------> bangor

gently caress that

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

half of the michigan UP and all of the lower part and ohio are in eastern time. fail

I got lost going up to the UP for a Do Make Say Think concert and didn't realize the time changed over and I missed the concert by the time I got there.
Also in one area of the UP where I was, there were absolutely NO Left Turns allowed. Signs at every intersection stating so.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

FMguru posted:

when i travelled through the detroit airport, the pa system made a point of announcing that the airport was eastern, not central, time every five minutes or so

that whole airport was full of lols

the est/cst time zone line in indiana is weird. indiana is basically 90% est, but there's small pockets of cst poking in around gary and evansville. you can enter cst in gary coming from the east, go back to est if you drive south, and then you only switch back to cst near the southern border, just before kentucky

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Fortaleza posted:

the High Five intersection is cool and going on the top one is insane it's like a roller coaster

one time i was coming back from austin and saw a dude in the middle of the road at the bottom of it. pretty hosed up.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

The_Franz posted:

the est/cst time zone line in indiana is weird. indiana is basically 90% est, but there's small pockets of cst poking in around gary and evansville. you can enter cst in gary coming from the east, go back to est if you drive south, and then you only switch back to cst near the southern border, just before kentucky

indiana also used to just.. not observe daylight savings time. particularly if you lived near illinois / chicago, it could get pretty confusing figuring out times

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Broken Machine posted:

indiana also used to just.. not observe daylight savings time. particularly if you lived near illinois / chicago, it could get pretty confusing figuring out times

as a kid i got confused the first time we drove from phoenix to vegas and went over the hoover dam. they have/had a clock on each side of the nevada/arizona border and at the time they both had the same time. hadn't had to learn about dst until that time i think

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Broken Machine posted:

oh my god its so, so much stupider than that.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

When I was a kid the next county over was eastern time zone and didn't observe daylight savings time. My county was central time and did observe daylight savings time. Half the year we were an hour apart, half the year we were on the same time. It was this way until like 2005 or 06.

quote:

Citizens of northwest and southwest Indiana appeared to favor the Central Time Zone with observance of DST, while those from other areas of the state favored the Eastern Time Zone with no observance of DST. The USDOT chose to divide Indiana between the Central Time Zone and the Eastern Time Zone. Six counties near Chicago (Lake, Porter, LaPorte, Jasper, Newton, and Starke) and six counties near Evansville (Posey, Vanderburgh, Warrick, Spencer, Gibson, and Pike) were placed in the Central Time Zone with observance of DST. The remainder of the state was placed in the Eastern Time Zone; the state was given special dispensation to exempt parts of itself from DST. Most portions of the state that were in the Eastern Time Zone did not observe DST. However, Floyd, Clark, and Harrison counties, which are near Louisville, Kentucky; and Ohio and Dearborn counties, which are near Cincinnati, Ohio unofficially observed DST due to their proximity to those major cities that observed DST.

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 7, 2022

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

indiana is easily a top 5 pants on head stupid state.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

post hole digger posted:

they did elect a humanoid rat as mayor of one of their cities after all

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

post hole digger posted:

it's a tough field with a lot of strong competition but they managed to pull it off.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

i was once passed on the right by a rusted out 15 year old cavalier on a detroit expressway; i was doing 85 and the cavalier was on a emergency compact spare

i let off the accelerator and gave them some space

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

The_Franz posted:

they did elect a humanoid rat as mayor of one of their cities after all

false! south bend isn’t a city, it’s barely a hamlet

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

FMguru posted:

when i travelled through the detroit airport,

can you still smoke at some of the bars

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

of course how are you going to do important business deals if you’re not on the same tz as your nyc bankers

Apr 7, 2003
Probation

post hole digger posted:

The Auburn Cord Duesenberg museum was nice

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Broken Machine posted:

indiana also used to just.. not observe daylight savings time

also if you're in est don't set your timezone to -5 est (indiana) on your poo poo because itll break

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

PCjr sidecar posted:

i was once passed on the right by a rusted out 15 year old cavalier on a detroit expressway; i was doing 85 and the cavalier was on a emergency compact spare

i let off the accelerator and gave them some space

i appreciated it

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i had a cavalier for a bit. i really liked that car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

graph posted:

can you still smoke at some of the bars
signs point to no: http://airportsmokers.com/airports_of_americas/unitedstates/state_Michigan/smoking_at_detroit_metropolitan.htm

the airport was from that era when people thought turning airports into high-end shopping malls was a surefire money maker, so the airport has dozens of not-so-high-end stores like swarovski and spanx

the main terminal is a single linear corridor running from gate 1 to gate 80. there is actually an elevated indoor monorail that runs from one end of the airport to the other (three stops total)

the mcdonalds had both pepsi and coke on tap

one of the restaurants was a sushi joint. mmm, detroit airport sushi!

the other terminal (that you had take a shuttle to get to) had a tim hortons in it (a novelty for this california-dweller)