Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
As I understood it, the NO LGBT+ thing was very strictly in reference to LitRPGs, which tend to have a younger male readership that has very specific trope expectations (read: there is one dude with a harem of women) and will review bomb if they're not catered to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Feels like the rule, then, should more be 'No LitRPGs'.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Chairchucker posted:

Feels like the rule, then, should more be 'No LitRPGs'.

The LitRPGs are what pulls in four to five figure Patreons, I'm afraid.

Still, you can write smarter LitRPGs with diverse characters and still earn cash. I've just finished read This Used to be About Dungeons and that's about a group of adventurers dungeoneers that looks like a United Colors of Benneton ad and is frankly overstocked with useless lesbians and is is earning a respectable ~$2k+.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jan 5, 2022

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Megazver posted:

The LitRPGs are what pulls in four to five figure Patreons, I'm afraid.

Still, you can write smarter LitRPGs with diverse characters and still earn cash. I've just finished read This Used to be About Dungeons and that's about a group of adventurers dungeoneers that looks like a United Colors of Benneton ad and is frankly overstocked with useless lesbians and is is earning a respectable ~$2k+.

That's Alexander Wales.

edit: This isn't intended as snark. But Wales is a very active guy, has a consistent work ethic since like 2017, and has Worth the Candle under his belt. And he's a nice dude on top of that. I'd say that $2k is a bit less than what he should be getting given that creative history.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jan 5, 2022

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Even with the edit, I don't really see your point.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

HIJK posted:

Awful.

I dare say you’ve come to the right place!

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

As I understood it, the NO LGBT+ thing was very strictly in reference to LitRPGs, which tend to have a younger male readership that has very specific trope expectations (read: there is one dude with a harem of women) and will review bomb if they're not catered to.

Related: My current WIP is what I hope will be the first in a fantasy series and features a queer love triangle at its heart, with the main character (a young woman) ultimately deciding to risk the position of comfort she's striving for throughout the book for another lady. I know the trend in publishing has rapidly shifted towards Own Voices in recent years and I have friends in the industry who have griped to me about how fed up they are with straight cis white dudes writing gay stories—am I going to be hosed when I query?

Or if I handle things well enough and hire sensitivity readers first (which I plan on doing anyways) should I be okay?

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

rohan posted:

I’m wondering if you should focus even less on the school aspect than you are now? “She barely graduates” is a bit of whiplash in the second para as it’s being set up as a magic school blurb before that’s ripped away from us.

I’ve cut the second para entirely, as I think there are enough hints that her family’s struggling without needing to talk about loan sharks. I’ve also condensed the first para a bit and added the “wealth and privilege” bit from a previous draft, since I think it’s really important to set up the final question.

Loving these edits! I've been so caught up with setting the scene that I've kept trying to put more detail in there than it really needs.

rohan posted:

The one thing I think your new blurb’s missing is a hint of conflict

Thanks to my decision to include messy adulting stuff, there's actually a bucket load of conflict in the book, but trying to summarize it in a blurb is hell. I prob need to do something to telegraph the sex and violence content in the blurb (which come in the later chapters of the book and won't necessarily be apparent from the sample chapters), before I get terrible 1-star reviews on Amazon from people who are like "I bought this book for my 13 year old kid! And to my horror, there are explicit things in there! TERRIBLE"

Let me take this away and keep working on it. Thanks again thread for the amazing feedback!

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

HIJK posted:

https://www.commonwealmagazine.org/literary-fanfic This is an interesting article about how fanfiction is bleeding into literary fiction. Excerpt:

Fanfic: The origin of short sentences, italics, repetition, and the present tense.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

rohan posted:

Also, “fantasy Shark Tank meets the Apprentice cage match” is a pretty compelling hook that I’m not really getting from the blurb as written, unfortunately.

Alright, here's take 4:

quote:

Rahelu is a natural at the resonance disciplines: the ability to manipulate emotional echoes to discern truth from lies, conjure the past or even foretell the future. Her parents sold everything and upended their life for her to train at the Guild—but she’s still a foreign fisher brat, despised by the other wealthier, more privileged trainees.

Petition Day is her only chance to succeed. Once a year, hundreds compete in the great Houses’ recruitment contest, facing challenges with real stakes and danger. Rahelu must work with her rivals to stop a killer—one who’s left a trail of brutally butchered bodies all over the city as part of an ancient ritual. But old feuds and new intrigue threaten her team’s ability to stay on mission, even as Rahelu fights her own attraction to another contestant: it’s a distraction she neither wants nor needs.

Will Rahelu and her team be able to stop the murders before the killer completes their ritual? And how far will she go to prove her parents’ sacrifices were not in vain?

I think I'm getting closer to hitting all the right vibes?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

I dare say you’ve come to the right place!

finger guns ayyyyyy

ultrachrist posted:

Fanfic: The origin of short sentences, italics, repetition, and the present tense.

Lol, yeah I see what you mean

otoh I think he really just means that fanfic encourages a more immediate and maybe "intuitive" writing style and that it's bleeding into regular fiction writing.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

change my name posted:

Related: My current WIP is what I hope will be the first in a fantasy series and features a queer love triangle at its heart, with the main character (a young woman) ultimately deciding to risk the position of comfort she's striving for throughout the book for another lady. I know the trend in publishing has rapidly shifted towards Own Voices in recent years and I have friends in the industry who have griped to me about how fed up they are with straight cis white dudes writing gay stories—am I going to be hosed when I query?

Or if I handle things well enough and hire sensitivity readers first (which I plan on doing anyways) should I be okay?

You're hosed. But you'll be hosed no matter what, the SFF community is just pathologically broken.

Do not engage with anyone, hide and keep to yourself.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

General Battuta posted:

You're hosed. But you'll be hosed no matter what, the SFF community is just pathologically broken.

Also stay off twitter. Publishers seem to have this stupid idea that all their authors need to have a *~social media presence~* to do the marketing job for them, but twitter especially is a vile hate pit that does authors no service but get them targeted by angry mobs should they ever slip up in any way that gets noticed

Or if you must, use a pen name and make your online identity a bit, like Chuck Tingle. He’s knows his social media poo poo

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

change my name posted:

Seconding Battuta: you're kinda hosed. My manuscript has three protagonists: asexual white male, gay white male, lesbian black female. One of these match me, two don't. Over the past few months, I've been filtered at the submission level when agents ask a question along the lines of 'If you're writing a perspective that doesn't match your identity, why is this necessary to your story?' and I've had a few email replies that basically say the same thing because I've outlined which one I am in my query letter. These may or may not be the same agents who talk up how they want to read SF/F with queer heroes and how they love representing minority voices.

newts
Oct 10, 2012

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Seconding Battuta: you're kinda hosed. My manuscript has three protagonists: asexual white male, gay white male, lesbian black female. One of these match me, two don't. Over the past few months, I've been filtered at the submission level when agents ask a question along the lines of 'If you're writing a perspective that doesn't match your identity, why is this necessary to your story?' and I've had a few email replies that basically say the same thing because I've outlined which one I am in my query letter. These may or may not be the same agents who talk up how they want to read SF/F with queer heroes and how they love representing minority voices.

It’s really disheartening to me that you’re getting this kind of response. I understand the need for the Own Voices movement, but does that mean every character you write must match your own identity?

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

newts posted:

It’s really disheartening to me that you’re getting this kind of response. I understand the need for the Own Voices movement, but does that mean every character you write must match your own identity?

There are millions of talented writers out there, and millions more got time to write when COVID forced them to stay home. Your writing doesn't have to match your identity, but publishers have no incentive to take it when they can take one of the thousands of other stellar submissions from people whose identities and manuscripts match up.

Nae fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 5, 2022

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

newts posted:

Seconding, that sucks rear end and I'm sorry to hear it. My book takes place in a turn of the 20th century-like fantasy Germany that's on the brink of war after just recovering from one a decade ago, and the main character is captured and forced into an arranged marriage with a haughty rear end in a top hat who's heir to an important family. She sort-of-kind-of falls for him even though he's abrasive, self-centered, and doesn't think about her feelings when he speaks, but eventually she falls in love with another woman who's trying to help her escape (and who's black).

But drat, that "why is this necessary to your story?" thing is so well worn at this point as a classic barrier to increasing diversity in books.

Nae posted:

There are millions of talented writers out there, and millions more got time to write when COVID forced them to stay home. Your writing doesn't have to match your identity, but publishers have no incentive to take it when they can take one of the thousands of other stellar submissions from people whose identities and manuscripts match up.

Fair point too.

change my name fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 5, 2022

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Nae posted:

But in this case, one third of the manuscript does match up. Should all three protagonists be the same?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
This is just making me want to drive by Royal Road with a "You're homophobic assholes" comment. Jesus.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Chairchucker posted:

But in this case, one third of the manuscript does match up. Should all three protagonists be the same?

Honestly I don't know what the answer is there beyond 'reduce the number of POVs to the number of unique perspectives you can support based on your lived experience.' That's a lovely answer but in an industry where like 50 SFF manuscripts get picked up by big imprints each year, it's probably the realistic one.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

General Battuta posted:

My debut comes out in June and I have a Twitter Presence that I feel obligated to keep up for the sake of publicity and also this is absolutely true and I have been making GBS threads bricks about it for over a year.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Turns out essentialism isn't just real but good business sense.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

My debut comes out in June and I have a Twitter Presence that I feel obligated to keep up for the sake of publicity and also this is absolutely true and I have been making GBS threads bricks about it for over a year.

Hey, look on the bright side! You also have an SA account with a post history that can be scraped for every opinion on the industry you've ever shared. :cheersbird:

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Run the script/service that deletes all of your tweets up until a certain period (the last year?)

Also don't get discouraged when crazy people come after you either on social media or Goodreads, just ignore their likely unfounded complaints

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Turns out essentialism isn't just real but good business sense.
I mean it's not even that, it's that there are noted bad actors (LET'S SAY TWO OF THEM, FOR NO REASON) who've figured out they can start dogpiles for clout and they are absolutely willing to lie to set the mob on you.

It's not even taking out of context any more, it's just lies. There is no standard of conduct that'll get the target off your back.

change my name posted:

Run the script/service that deletes all of your tweets up until a certain period (the last year?)

Also don't get discouraged when crazy people come after you either on social media or Goodreads, just ignore their likely unfounded complaints
I do this already: everything older than 2 weeks get zapped.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Nae posted:

Honestly I don't know what the answer is there beyond 'reduce the number of POVs to the number of unique perspectives you can support based on your lived experience.' That's a lovely answer but in an industry where like 50 SFF manuscripts get picked up by big imprints each year, it's probably the realistic one.

If applied retroactively this rule would erase every book and short story I've ever published :sigh:

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

General Battuta posted:

If applied retroactively this rule would erase every book and short story I've ever published :sigh:

I think about this a lot whenever I think about how much I liked Baru Cormorant, believe me.

EDIT: and hey, I would love to be wrong about all of this and what I'm saying in this thread feels deeply cynical, but I've had multiple agents tell me they won't take my work specifically because of the male protagonists, and I even had one get upset with me at a conference when I told her I wanted to write men (because I'm a woman every day and I write fantasy for a chance to see the world outside myself). That experience has really colored the way I look at this industry and each book I write hews closer and closer to my own identity out of necessity.

Nae fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 5, 2022

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I strongly disagree that one shouldn't write outside their experience, but with a few core caveats:

1) somebody who has lived a particular experience is much more likely to understand and articulate it well, and that will benefit the work creatively and in terms of marketing c.f. publicity etc, authenticity sells
2) if you're writing a marginalised experience outside your own, you owe it to the people who do live that experience to do the research. Don't just consult with them, loving listen to them.

Which might feel like splitting hairs but I really don't think it is: nobody should be barred from telling a particular story, the problem is telling it badly, and if it's outside your experience then you've got more work to do to make it good.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

I hope it's not coming off like I agree with the idea that no one should write outside their experience. Ugh, I am really second guessing how I am coming off here, and I think I sound like an rear end in a top hat. I'm sorry if I misspoke anywhere, I'm gonna bow out.

Nae fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 5, 2022

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
It's like hey, I wrote this book while living in Kuala Lumpur, and KL rubbed off on it hugely, but I'm not Malaysian. Not even a little bit.

This book got picked up by a Big 4 publisher.

Because I did my research. It was a place I lived, the place where I landed my first publishing credits, a place where I still have a bunch of friends who are writers who I trust to call me out on my bullshit. Nobody has ever complained about the Asian elements in the setting. The problem isn't a white guy writing Asian worlds, it's when white guys joke that their research was "eating pocky". Neither readers nor the industry have a problem if you do the loving legwork.

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021

I strongly disagree that one shouldn't write outside their experience, but with a few core caveats:

1) somebody who has lived a particular experience is much more likely to understand and articulate it well, and that will benefit the work creatively and in terms of marketing c.f. publicity etc, authenticity sells
2) if you're writing a marginalised experience outside your own, you owe it to the people who do live that experience to do the research. Don't just consult with them, loving listen to them.

Which might feel like splitting hairs but I really don't think it is: nobody should be barred from telling a particular story, the problem is telling it badly, and if it's outside your experience then you've got more work to do to make it good.

I think those are really good rules to go by.

On the flip side, how do you realize what you are writing is cringy, or could be translated the wrong way? There was an urban fantasy story I read where a guy gets powers, is lead astray by a loki-like character, and after committing murder and genocide, gets forgiven by the supernatural side. Then the character reveals they are asexual, and the book goes out of the way to show how they aren't a horrible monster that committed genoicde.

These moments always give me pause, cause IMO it's not well done and feels award, but I hesitate from critiquing cause maybe that's the loving point? To feel awkward and out of place as the character.

Edit: My question could also cover when you are critiquing something.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

From my lived experience, heh, Kristoff is exactly the kind of odd dude who'd say something like that.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

newts posted:

Nae posted:

change my name posted:

But drat, that "why is this necessary to your story?" thing is so well worn at this point as a classic barrier to increasing diversity in books.

I can't understand the opposition to someone trying to write genuinely authentically from a POV that doesn't match their identity. We're already pigeonholed enough as it is by our identities in real life: reading is one way of trying to understand how someone else would see the world, so it makes sense that writing would be another.

nobody should be barred from telling a particular story, the problem is telling it badly, and if it's outside your experience then you've got more work to do to make it good.

This, basically. And with things like these, it's obvious who has done the legwork and who hasn't. There are a billion little subtleties that someone with the lived experience knows that someone without it doesn't, and while it's impossible to get all of them right, you need to at least get the most important ones right, or risk originating/perpetuating some very damaging narratives.

DropTheAnvil posted:

On the flip side, how do you realize what you are writing is cringy, or could be translated the wrong way?

Edit: My question could also cover when you are critiquing something.

I'm not sure there's a clear line for this. I guess I would fall back to whether or not the work is making some sort of attempt at posing a deeper question, beyond just light entertainment value. Like I could forgive an author for getting things wrong while trying to explore what it means to be XYZ if they're making a genuine effort to tackle the issues. And because some of these issues are complex and nuanced, there isn't necessarily a definitive truth for some of these experiences either. I think as long as what's been represented as the character's experience does ring true to someone who has had that lived experience, then that's okay—the work is just representing that facet of the lived experience, not claiming that that is the ONLY version of the lived experience.

It's also easy to ignore a work that is clearly using a cringy thing for lulz, because I'm not going to waste my time critiquing something where the author has zero intention to take serious critique.

But for the stuff in the middle, I think I would start by at least raising the issue and seeing how the author responds. Sometimes they really don't know that it's an issue. And as long as they're open to learning and taking critique on board and addressing it, that's okay.

What's not okay is when critique from a sensitivity perspective has been given, and the author blithely ignores it, after being warned of the damage the inaccurate representation can cause.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

newts posted:

I hope not, I’m boring AF.

That’s a lot of bricks, maybe take up masonry on the side?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

That’s a lot of bricks, maybe take up masonry on the side?
yeah I'm saving up for a house

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Did someone say web serials?

Wildbow put in a lot of hard work and effort but he also got extremely lucky when Eliezer Yudkowsky gave him a shout out at the height of rationalist mania. Even Wildbow admits that this was a significant turning point and what ultimately allowed him to do what he does today. The other thing that allowed him to do it is that he was able to live off a Patreon of 1000-2000 a month before he launched Ward. The 'independent' web serial community was also a lot more active back during Worm's first few years. As a creative, Wildbow does very little to actually market his work or reach new fans. He's very lucky the Worm fanbase is so energised and has managed to get him where he is after an actual decade. But I mean, think of it this way: he's been working his rear end off for a decade and it appears he hit his peak with Ward, the controversial sequel to Worm.

If you're not posting on RoyalRoad then, well, here's the hard truth: you don't. The web serial community is a shadow of what it was just a few years ago (although RoyalRoad is doing better than ever.) I think the goon-written Katalepsis is one of the more successful web serials that doesn't post on RoyalRoad of late but it's the only one I know if that's seemed to gain any kind of independent traction (in the sense that I see people talking about it but I don't know how any numbers look.) Scratch that, Hungry does post it there. So, you post and pray. And probably write a LitRPG that hits all the right buttons for the readers.

If you're posting on RoyalRoad, then as others have said, you want to post every day and at different times of day. Preferably you want to post multiple updates a day. Getting on the Trending lists is paramount. There used to be a way to game the algorithm to make that very easy but I think they've caught it and fixed it. There is a model but even then you're relying on luck. It's no different from any other kind of online content creation where it follows a Pareto distribution (or, as Freddie de Boer pointed out with Patreon, a Pareto within a Pareto.)

If you're asking this because you're thinking of writing a web serial... To be frank, write a web serial as a way of forcing you to write x amount of words a week. I would not recommend writing it if you are intending any kind of significant income. That way, you might as well just go down the Amazon route. Even Wildbow would probably make way more money putting his stuff on Amazon than depending on Patreon donations.

When I say Amazon I do not mean Vella, their serial platform. Based on authors I know who have been using it, that thing is apparently on its last legs already and I can't imagine it lasting too much longer.

I had a story with three LGBT protagonists and it was never a problem on RR or otherwise. However, my RR traction was not particularly great as I was writing an introspective/philosophical action thriller (topped out at #118, I think) so I probably skated by the stuff someone like Zogarth talks about. Either way, I hit #2 on TopWebFiction for a while, so, it was never much of an issue.

I spoke with Elle Griffin a few times and she seems like a lovely person but I feel she fell right into the trap that so many prospective writers do when they first hear about web serials. That is, and I'm including myself in this, they think something along the lines of 'Wait, people will pay this much for [any given web serial]? It shouldn't be too hard to do that!' and immediately find out that, sure, there's an audience -- but it's an extremely limited one with very narrow tastes (see also: Vella.) Her whole interview thing seemed like an interesting attempt to ingratiate with a bunch of the biggest writers in the hopes of finding an audience that way. I think she's ditched her Substack serial writers Discord and serial subreddit she set up, too, and turned to funding a web novel via crypto apparently which feels like further evidence that she didn't find whatever returns she was looking for. She had a plan, she came out swinging, and then shifted gears very quickly.

There's an emerging band of people who want to post fiction on Substack but I have no idea how it's working out for them. Elle's own chapters seem to have less traction than her articles which is matched by what I know of Freddie De Boer's fiction. There was an article I read on Substack recently that was about the way you succeed at making money on the platform and it's big point was that, basically, you want to write something that people can't get from normal/traditional media. This is the same with web serials, which is why the big money makers are all basically LitRPGs. The issue I think Elle had is that there's just no significant audience for normal genre fiction and the number who'll pay for it is even less. They can just... go buy an Ebook for 4.99 and get a full story.

Red mist is doing just fine thank you. Not making money but getting them views.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Show of hands: Good line or not

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Bad line but it deserves to stay in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Junpei posted:

Show of hands: Good line or not

If it's consistent with the voice of the character and the tone of the scene, sure, it's good enough. If it's not, then it's not. Hard to tell in a vacuum.