Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
if you really wanna stick it to camerachat, just pivot it into artchat because cameras are actually pretty boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

idk, i agree that when it's just dickwaving about specs or lenses it's boring, but the computational photography stuff is neat

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

echinopsis posted:

ok that’s interesting. the use case I wonder about is lens on a the back of a phone.

and I always wondered how that lytro camera actually captured the info. very interesting

thanks for sharing

this stuff is interesting from a purely interest sake perspective. in real life i’m more interested in taking better photos so that one day people think i’m ok 😩

they won’t think youre ok until you get that fancy plenoptic camera

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

there was a company called Lytro that went out of business a few years ago that made plenoptic cameras. they were a neat trick but i don't think anyone ever found a use for them.

I mean they talk about it in that article you posted. they were bought by Google which did a couple light fields with the tech for vr and incorporated a derivative into the pixel phone sensors

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I bought a first gen Lytro on woot for $60 years back. terrible resolution, terrible interface and the PC software basically didn't work but it really was cool tech. one of the less lauded features was that in the phone app you could tilt your phone around and get a semi-3d effect, like getting a lenticular print with every photo you took

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

I’m waiting for a csmera with sensors built in that will detect the angle and perspective and let you automatically adjust in post, as though you had front element movements like a large format field camera

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

the apple photos app has a skew adjustment op. sounds right up your alley

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

doesn’t correct for the proper proportions, it just adjusts the diagonals into verticals and compresses it vertically at the same time

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

idk, i agree that when it's just dickwaving about specs or lenses it's boring, but the computational photography stuff is neat

it is neat

things though that I want from a camera are tools that let me take pictures better

what I would love is something like a scripting system.

I suppose maybe the correct way to shoot is to set up every shot specifically, rather than trying to find a setting that just lets you shoot without too much thought

guess I am saying I want auto, but my auto. and a selection of them

for example, face recognition is great, except when it can’t find the face, the kind of autofocus it defaults to is NOT what I want, so I often find myself not using face detection even though it’s seriously good

so if I could script it so it was face detection but if i held this button or if it couldn’t see a face, it defaulted to a spot in the middle

and ability to adjust the minimum shutter speed but by an algorithm or if/then.

but the way canon does it, feels like never have access to it. I was imagining last night about what it could be like if they opened up the software totally, so you could install alternate firmware, because I am confident there are coders out there that could really harness the hardware to a fuller extent than canon.

but that would never happen for .. outdated reasons

one can dream

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

the apple photos app has a skew adjustment op. sounds right up your alley

here is an example

https://twitter.com/rodtronics/status/1231054637114908672?s=21

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
for messing with skew I prefer lightroom mobile's geometry tool that allows you to define arbitrary lines as being vertical or horizontal and it warps the whole image to make that come true.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Wild EEPROM posted:

if you really wanna stick it to camerachat, just pivot it into artchat because cameras are actually pretty boring.

I feel like my style evolves often. and not in the same direction.

I’m not sure exactly what I used to try to achieve, something like “a good photo”, whatever that means, but now it’s more like, I’m either trying to create something interesting, or something that captures a feeling. lot of crossover between those two

but this change kind of means I now have a far less
snobby idea about what a good photo is, because it’s also the framework I view work through.

and so the hardware is all about trying to make it so I can create my vision easier

I’ve got a shoot with a model lined up next week and trying to find a second person too, and it’s a mega challenge trying to be worthy of their time, they’re people that could be doing something else, and I really want to capture something decent. I’m sure I’ll do ok but will I do great? I’m gonna do some prep lol.

tel ya what. this is fun. joining a TFP group was the best thing I did. there’s a lot to plan and so much to explore and people to meet and something great at the end of it to point to

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MrQueasy posted:

for messing with skew I prefer lightroom mobile's geometry tool that allows you to define arbitrary lines as being vertical or horizontal and it warps the whole image to make that come true.

it’s good

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
also this is probably not news to anyone, about the look of faces up close vs from afar

but this dude with his tiktoks like this one start up close with his phone and then must switch to either a longer lens or just move his phone far away, and whether or not he realises he’s doing this, but he seems more attractive once he moves to a further shot where the face is more compressed

i’ve seen this before trying to demonstrate this exact concept but this video shows it in a practical way that highlights just how beneficial the flattering face compression is

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZSe9TFxYR/

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it has been known for a very long time that the compressed perspective of a long lens is more flattering. that's why short, fast telephotos are called portrait lenses. i've often wondered why the flattened look is more appealing. i think it might just be the relative absence of perspective distortion -- certainly a portrait shot with a wide lens, where the person's forehead and chin slope away and their nose looks huge, is not flattering. eliminate that and the picture looks better.

some people take it to ridiculous extents. i once saw a photographer at the beach taking pictures of a model from 100 feet away with like a 500mm lens. he was giving her instructions with a walkie-talkie. lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah it wasn’t until I started playing around with them that I discovered why longer lenses were considered portrait lenses

this canon 100mm macro is basically my One True Lens, there’s so little I want to do that I can’t do with this

I want to play around with a zoom that’s centred around 100mm, but ultimately the sharpness and macro ability of this lens probably overrides the flexibility Id get out of a zoom.

my first dslr was second hand and came with a 55-200 f/4.5-5.6 and I used to use it all the time at 200mm but it was because it gave a good out of focus background, I didn’t have a clue about compressed perspective. no wonder my sons baby photos always looked so good 😂

but man f/5.6 with a camera from 2006 meant that even 400 iso was starting to get ugly and I think the iso tops out at 1600 but that was unusable, so unless it was out in the daylight it was pretty much useless on that camera

glad I still have that lens though, still takes a nice photo.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if my first dslr had only come with the stock 18-55 I might not have found a love for photography, basically I was blessed with the previous owner also buying that longer lens and including it

that 18-55 lens that comes standard with the entry level dslrs, at least at the time, is so poo poo. i’m sure someone great can take good photos with it but I could never and still can’t take a photo with it that’s interesting. tbf I am simply useless with short lenses. my 24mm has only taken two worthwhile photos in its whole time with me.

if I have a knack for taking a good picture, it’s certainly only with longer lenses

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

prime lens supremacy

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
prime lenses are cool because i like being a little bit constrained by them (e.g. having to move my body to figure out how to get everything I want into the frame)

its nice to be reminded that there are things i can tweak outside of the camera that impact my photos

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the gear is almost never why your photos aren't good, you need to learn to compose and shoot with what you have and no set of gear is going to adapt to every situation you have to make editorial creative choices about what you want to achieve

I agree cameras should be scriptable but camera makers are so bad at software it will probably never happen. I'd like to make my own film simulations as I only use like 3 of the 15 my camera comes with

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I made a couple of custom tone maps for my camera that make it look sort of like Kodachrome and sort of like Tri-X, and honestly why would you need anything else

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what tools have you used to do that?

I want a better way to play around with 3d LUTs

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I’m gonna get a backpack for my camera rather than a shoulder bag

curious if anyone here has some snazzy tips about what to carry with me?

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/4001295987136.html

I’m gonna have some of these pegs

any other sharp ideas?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

do you have a UV filter on your lens so you don't have to use a lens cap?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

no and you shouldn’t either

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jenny Agutter posted:

one lens does but ya know I've never thought about them like that. looks like Imma go buy some UV lens filters. cheers mate

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

putting a uv filter on your lens is like permanently shooting through a window. you shouldn't do it unless you are, like, covering the dakar rally and expect to have sand and gravel flying at you.

if you must do it, get a really good multi-coated hoya one or something so it at least is as optically good as the rest of your lens.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lens rental companies love it when you rent high end cameras and lenses to take to the color run

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

ah memories

lol at this, I would collapse and die if I tried hauling this big bag of poo poo around on my back these days.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

use a lens hood instead

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
was organising a sunrise beach shoot and the model (who I first came across on a TFP page) asked how much I was gonna charge for 30-45 mins and I said I thought it was TFP hence no money involved and so we’re going ahead with that

but.. someone saw my work and was willing to pay. maybe also cos I was willing to get up for sunrise lol but also.. one of my goals for 2022 was to get paid for photography and .. maybe it might happen. I’m not yet confident enough that I am worth spending money on, or also, maybe I’ll take some good shots but maybe not ..

also gently caress knows how much you charge. could always look up other peoples rates but I have this strong belief in ignorance being bliss

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

do not do freelance work without a contract and releases

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i thought that models usually got paid for their time. you're saying this model is expecting you to charge her for the photos?

is she really a model, or just a lady who wants pictures for her instagram? who is contracting whose services here? what sort of power dynamics are at work?

i guess it could go both ways. annie leibovitz probably isn't paying people to pose for her, and cindy crawford (or whoever, idk who famous models are today) isn't paying photographers to take pictures of her. how does it work if it's a famous model and a famous photographer together? i would guess that maybe neither of them pay each other up front, but both enter into a contract to share the profits from the resulting work? but that only works when they're on the same "level," so to speak. some random dude isn't going to get cindy crawford to model for him for profit-sharing.

what happens if you take a hilarious bad photo of this girl and want to show it, but she doesn't want it to be publicized? have you worked this out on paper beforehand?

seems complicated and kinda fraught.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

qirex posted:

do not do freelance work without a contract and releases

absolutely

Sagebrush posted:

i thought that models usually got paid for their time. you're saying this model is expecting you to charge her for the photos?

is she really a model, or just a lady who wants pictures for her instagram? who is contracting whose services here? what sort of power dynamics are at work?

the concept is called TFP https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_for_print (that's a somewhat rigid definition)
it's basically both models and photographers gaining experience, building each others portfolios

I came across this person posting on the local TFP page, and she was posting about how she's done a few shoots and wants to do more in 2022. so shes a model in the way I am a photographer, extremely amateur

quote:

i guess it could go both ways. annie leibovitz probably isn't paying people to pose for her, and cindy crawford (or whoever, idk who famous models are today) isn't paying photographers to take pictures of her. how does it work if it's a famous model and a famous photographer together? i would guess that maybe neither of them pay each other up front, but both enter into a contract to share the profits from the resulting work? but that only works when they're on the same "level," so to speak. some random dude isn't going to get cindy crawford to model for him for profit-sharing.

interesting questions. I suppose both are contracted by the magazine if thats the case? i wish I knew more too

quote:

what happens if you take a hilarious bad photo of this girl and want to show it, but she doesn't want it to be publicized? have you worked this out on paper beforehand?

you think I thought ahead? lol

quote:

seems complicated and kinda fraught.

only if you think about what could go wrong (I try not to, ignorance is bliss remember). so far everyone Ive met has been respectful (yes it's possible someone will come along and not be), but a contract will sort it out anyway. the whole thing is common as, it's the best way to get into it, get some experience, met new people, build up a portfolio.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
half hour shoot, 504 photos, battery icon still on full :smugmrgw:

not bad for mirrorless

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

echinopsis posted:

half hour shoot, 504 photos, battery icon still on full :smugmrgw:

not bad for mirrorless

Share your keep rate once you're done! I average between 1:10 and 1:20 for my mostly handheld quasi-landscape stuff.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I got 38 which I think are definitely good and maybe another 50+ which are fine

38/508 is .. 7% lol which is 1/15

thank god it’s not film

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

lol i'm at like 1

like, regardless of how much, and sometimes that's also 0

yall not picky enough

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
maybe I just take ok photos but idk. tbh it's a good feeling when you hand over some photos of someone to them and they tell you they love them and are stoked etc.

just did another shoot. what a long fucken day, up at 4:30am, sunrise beach shoot, busy af day at work, then pick up different model for shoot for like 2 and a bit hours, home at 9pm. good poo poo tho

so.. 2 hours liberal shooting, 1221 photos, used half the battery

this mirrorless aint half bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
its hard to sort through these. most are socal-media worthy, and it's only because there are better ones to compare it to that you'd maybe think less of it. it's difficult to avoid comparing and suppose idk how much value you get when you minimise/don't compare, but most of these photos are fine. the model knew what they were doing and they were really convivial, and it was just effortless to take fine/good picture after picture. there are a handful of "great" ones which I suppose is idk what you're going for

I wonder if professional photographers would accept payment to come piggyback on one of their shoots. at least in this lower end of photography (with the group of people I've discovered) people are really open to others joining their shoot with the same model and sharing tips. some dudes have lighting equipment and another dude had a gimbal so it's a chance to become at least second hand familiar with what they can do for the result.

I was quite amazed at this photographer that I did a shoot with recently, he had this gimbal that was the same brand as decent-tier drones, and it had a few amount of features/knobs/switches but the results speak for themselves, walking behind a model and the end result is just has no distraction from shaky cam whatsoever. dudes discovered a way of doing "moment" videos, with music. it's kinda cliche but he is doing a pretty good job. welp