Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Did they make the Ghosts stop having secondary explosions in this third game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
No, but if you hit it hard enough the secondary just happens at the same time.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

NinetySevenA posted:

the latest video is when i realized that i have never actually played all the way through halo 3.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

This is as far as my knowledge of the series extends, too.

From here on out it's all new :dance:

TwoPair posted:

Aside from like one more cutscene and the very ending, we're officially past the point where I know anything about Halo canon so I'm real excited to see where things are going from here.

I'm really glad that there's so many people who are flying blind at this point. I'm very interested to see what you guys think about the rest of the game/series.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
And also, happy one year thread-iversary! Have some gifs.

https://i.imgur.com/b45O5bg.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/EU1gilX.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/He71sir.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/M3gpe2H.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/oorqU9C.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/E6ITwYU.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/vA2oGDj.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/KKCa7Xz.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/7bq2vg2.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/WdQ0JsO.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/jdah5ez.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/3IZ7cno.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/G8Uk5oA.gifv

FrenzyTheKillbot fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 9, 2022

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

And also, happy one year thread-iversary! Have some gifs.

https://i.imgur.com/M3gpe2H.gifv

I can just imagine the thought process for the Banshee pilot being like "that fucker just stuck a grenade on me! Uh uh, we're gonna die together"

It would have been even more spectacular if the pilot succeeded, I feel

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Kibayasu posted:

I know its mostly a space war and planets just end up getting blown up but with tanks like they have you have to wonder how the humans lost any battle at all.

Since the tanks are the most Brigador-esque thing in the series it’s no wonder they’re so effective.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Aces High posted:

I can just imagine the thought process for the Banshee pilot being like "that fucker just stuck a grenade on me! Uh uh, we're gonna die together"

It would have been even more spectacular if the pilot succeeded, I feel

As the person who was playing and recording that level, gonna have to disagree with you here.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

07 - The Ark (Part 2)

The Human forces continue their push towards the Ark's Cartographer.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
...I never realized you could ramp onto the scarab, and trying to take out a scarab in a scorpion or wraith is not fun.

Incidentally, you can target the scarab's two main guns, at the head and tail, and damage them. You can't destroy the guns, but damaging them does slow down their firing rate.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

The flame grenades don't appear in matchmaking, but you can place them in Forge.

The flamethrower only shows up on one map (Construct, incidentally) by default, but again, can be placed in Forge.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Yo Spartan jump over that big rear end ramp!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

Yo Spartan jump over that big rear end ramp!

It's HIT that big rear end ramp!

I miss Chip and Grant

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

08 - The Covenant (Part 1)

The UNSC and the Elites stage a joint operation to bring down the defenses around Truth's stronghold.

Samovar posted:

Is that from Blood on the Sand?

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I remember replaying these last few stages quite a few times with the 4-player co-op because those vehicular (especially the aerial vehicle) combat sections were so much fun.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
When I noted that The Ark is one of my two favorite levels in all of Halo, this is the other. For me, it's the music and the fun of Halo 3's vehicles that set these missions apart from the other Halo games, and I think 3 also has the best cinematography of the series for its cutscenes.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

They did not know about the Covenant when they started training the Spartans, who were abducted at the age of 6 (give or take). The project was intended to combat Insurrectionist activities.

First contact occurred when the Spartans were 14.

This level takes so goddamn long. It's a good level, don't get me wrong, but good god it takes forever.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Ayuh, that it was.

I'll tell you, every time you pass up a Brute shot in this level, I feel sad.

But at the start of the level, the pilot says there's 'active triple-A'. Anti-aircraft... activity? Did they just pull a 'PIN number' situation?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Samovar posted:

No, Kibayasu was right

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgSXldDcLdY

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Samovar posted:

Ayuh, that it was.

I'll tell you, every time you pass up a Brute shot in this level, I feel sad.

But at the start of the level, the pilot says there's 'active triple-A'. Anti-aircraft... activity? Did they just pull a 'PIN number' situation?

Anti-Aircraft Artillery.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Okay, those Hornets look like a shitload of fun.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

They have helicopter controls (move in the cardinal directions, go up or down) so you can't swoop with them the way you can with a Banshee. They do pack a satisfyingly larger punch than their Covenant equivalent though, with their big rockets. They are fun as heck to use.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I'm more amazed you didn't take a moment to outfit the other Hornet rider with a better weapon than the pistol.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

All marines are given portable velcro kits to aid in standing on the side of flying and/or fast moving vehicles.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Loxbourne posted:

They have helicopter controls (move in the cardinal directions, go up or down) so you can't swoop with them the way you can with a Banshee. They do pack a satisfyingly larger punch than their Covenant equivalent though, with their big rockets. They are fun as heck to use.

They really are a whole lot of fun. I do kinda wish the missiles were faster though. It seems like a lot of the time Banshees dodge them by moving normally and often I've blown stuff up with the guns before the missiles even have a chance to get there.

AradoBalanga posted:

I'm more amazed you didn't take a moment to outfit the other Hornet rider with a better weapon than the pistol.

Haha well I wouldn't want them to be too effective, or I wouldn't get to show off the Hornet as much.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Hornets are rad simply because you can bring friends with guns on them.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

09 - The Covenant (Part 2)

The Master Chief leads the assault on the Citadel to stop Truth from activating the rings.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I don't think the game ever addresses this, but food for thought: the only way for ships to get here is via the portal. On Earth. High Charity was in-atmosphere at Earth.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Cythereal posted:

I don't think the game ever addresses this, but food for thought: the only way for ships to get here is via the portal. On Earth. High Charity was in-atmosphere at Earth.

It actually wasn't, apparently. It made the jump somewhere around Mars.

That raises the question of why it needed to be in the Sol system at any point, but maybe it just needed telemetry or something.

e: God I forgot how bright that bridge is, just why

Ablative fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 29, 2022

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Serenity came out in 2005, so it definitely lines up with Halo 3's dev cycle timeline.

And I completely agree with the "I'm a thief, but I keep what I steal." line being very important, Frenzy. When the new Halo ring appeared at the end of the level, I immediately realized what Cortana is talking about when she said that line.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Cythereal posted:

Ablative posted:

It actually wasn't, apparently. It made the jump somewhere around Mars.

That raises the question of why it needed to be in the Sol system at any point, but maybe it just needed telemetry or something.

e: God I forgot how bright that bridge is, just why

I think Bungie kinda wrote themselves into a corner here. I mean obviously the Flood had to show up, and they did have to head to Earth because otherwise Cortana's message was a lie. But they don't want them to use the portal because if High Charity was in Earth's atmosphere there's no way they wouldn't have infected the planet and the UNSC would not be able to do anything about it. Of course, High Charity shouldn't be able to jump to the Ark for a bunch of reasons. For one thing, the Flood isn't supposed to know where it is. Secondly, the Forerunner dreadnought was High Charity's main source of power and (as I understand it) its Slipspace drive. And lastly, it's so drat far away that it should take literal years to get there even through Slipspace.

As deus ex machina-y as it is, it probably is the "cleanest" solution to say that the Flood showed up in our solar system, saw the portal and realized what it was and where it lead, used space zombie magic to determine the end point, and then jumped there without engaging Earth.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Huh. I was under the impression from the cutscene that the Ark portal was inside Earth's atmosphere and that was the only way to get here.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Weren't the flood attacking earth already? Half jaw glasses a continent trying to stop them, I think.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

FoolyCharged posted:

Weren't the flood attacking earth already? Half jaw glasses a continent trying to stop them, I think.

The Flood that spilled out of the cruiser we boarded have all been incinerated from orbit by Halfjaw, yes. I thought Hood's "half a continent" was hyperbole, but New Mombasa and the area around it have clearly been sterilised.

Halo 3 has some stitching around changes in the arc and this is the most obvious and most clunky point. From the original Halo 2 concept material we see that the Prophet of Truth was planned to die at the end of 2, in a whole cut set of levels in an "Ark" that was the structure on Earth. It's unclear from the concept art if it was still a portal, but the control centre for the Halos was in the Earthside section. Halo 3 then has to rush through the remaining bits of 2 in its first act. At a guess, I'd say the structure outside the galaxy was still planned to be the setting for Halo 3 but it may not have been the original "ark".

The bit about High Charity jumping from Mars is pretty clearly a story patch to avoid having to address why there aren't any Flood on Earth (or deal with the believability problem of saying the Flood didn't drop any spores off on the way though).

But we also get the rather painful story contortions to let the Brutes capture Johnson and Miranda a second time so they can go through the whole business of the Halos needing a human to fire them. We also end up with the rather weird question of just what Truth thought he was trying to do - in Halo 2 he clearly believed that lighting the Halos would start the Great Journey, but seemed to have no idea that it would kill everyone. This is a bit more believable than Halo 3, where he seems to fully understand that setting them off would exterminate all life in the galaxy and intended to be out of the way of the effect. Did he think the Forerunners would swoop down from Precursor Heaven afterwards and scoop him and his fellow Covenant elect up, like space Rapture?

(This gets even worse in the tie-ins, which make it very clear that Truth knew full well that Forerunner technology recognises and activates for humans and humans alone, and has mandated humanity's extermination basically to avoid having to think too hard about the implications. That's believable as religious dogma - how dare this species be more exalted than us, the Prophets and chosen ones - but still leaves the question of what he thinks is going to happen when the rings go off. Presumably that the Forerunners are so impressed with his efforts that they overlook all that awkward genocide and haul him up into Heaven on the spot?)

Still a well-written death scene though. That was a good way for one of the primary setting villains to die, puppeteered by the Gravemind as he sees the Chief undo his life's work with a single button press.

Loxbourne fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 31, 2022

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Loxbourne posted:

The Flood that spilled out of the cruiser we boarded have all been incinerated from orbit by Halfjaw, yes. I thought Hood's "half a continent" was hyperbole, but New Mombasa and the area around it have clearly been sterilised.

Halo 3 has some stitching around changes in the arc and this is the most obvious and most clunky point. From the original Halo 2 concept material we see that the Prophet of Truth was planned to die at the end of 2, in a whole cut set of levels in an "Ark" that was the structure on Earth. It's unclear from the concept art if it was still a portal, but the control centre for the Halos was in the Earthside section. Halo 3 then has to rush through the remaining bits of 2 in its first act. At a guess, I'd say the structure outside the galaxy was still planned to be the setting for Halo 3 but it may not have been the original "ark".

The bit about High Charity jumping from Mars is pretty clearly a story patch to avoid having to address why there aren't any Flood on Earth (or deal with the believability problem of saying the Flood didn't drop any spores off on the way though).

But we also get the rather painful story contortions to let the Brutes capture Johnson and Miranda a second time so they can go through the whole business of the Halos needing a human to fire them. We also end up with the rather weird question of just what Truth thought he was trying to do - in Halo 2 he clearly believed that lighting the Halos would start the Great Journey, but seemed to have no idea that it would kill everyone. This is a bit more believable than Halo 3, where he seems to fully understand that setting them off would exterminate all life in the galaxy and intended to be out of the way of the effect. Did he think the Forerunners would swoop down from Precursor Heaven afterwards and scoop him and his fellow Covenant elect up, like space Rapture?

(This gets even worse in the tie-ins, which make it very clear that Truth knew full well that Forerunner technology recognises and activates for humans and humans alone, and has mandated humanity's extermination basically to avoid having to think too hard about the implications. That's believable as religious dogma - how dare this species be more exalted than us, the Prophets and chosen ones - but still leaves the question of what he thinks is going to happen when the rings go off. Presumably that the Forerunners are so impressed with his efforts that they overlook all that awkward genocide and haul him up into Heaven on the spot?)

Still a well-written death scene though. That was a good way for one of the primary setting villains to die, puppeteered by the Gravemind as he sees the Chief undo his life's work with a single button press.

It is in fact hyperbole; the only part of Earth glassed to contain the Flood was Voi, basically.

I always figured by this point Truth was so far gone he'd started believing his own hype to the exclusion of all reality.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I've got a question about the Flood arriving on the Ark.

How did the Gravemind get off the High Charity and slither to where Master Chief was? They were above a massive drop.

And why did it leave immediately after waving its tentacles around a bit?

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I've got a question about the Flood arriving on the Ark.

How did the Gravemind get off the High Charity and slither to where Master Chief was? They were above a massive drop.

And why did it leave immediately after waving its tentacles around a bit?

Basically, it didn't; it effectively is High Charity at this point. And High Charity is massive.

As for why it retreated, who knows? Maybe it saw the ring coming too and got spooked. Maybe some Sentinels got off their asses and gave it a good zappin'.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Just marathoned this over the past day. God drat I love the Halo series

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Forerunner tech authentication sucks. Like, we've seen this twice now with Keyes in Halo 2 and Johnson just now; they both resist activating rings but all it takes is someone forcefully jamming their hand onto the big glowing button to start up the doom system. The Covenant (and Spark) keep saying they need the humans to activate the rings but really all it looks like is that they need to cut off a human's hand to activate... I don't know, I guess a fingerprint scanner?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

TwoPair posted:

Forerunner tech authentication sucks. Like, we've seen this twice now with Keyes in Halo 2 and Johnson just now; they both resist activating rings but all it takes is someone forcefully jamming their hand onto the big glowing button to start up the doom system. The Covenant (and Spark) keep saying they need the humans to activate the rings but really all it looks like is that they need to cut off a human's hand to activate... I don't know, I guess a fingerprint scanner?

Maybe, but then chief just mushes his big armored ham on the button and that turns it off?

It kind of feels like Mass Effect where all these other alien species existed for thousands of years and stumble across technology left behind by an even more advanced race from millennia ago, but none of it works until some humans stumble across it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I like that the Ark's weapon, which can wipe out all life in the galaxy is activated by a single button press.

Not even a code, just boop.

Hell, there aren't even any locked doors to get in there, any fucker who finds the place could accidentally wipe out the whole galaxy with a "What does this button do?"

EDIT: Replace shotgun with Halo