Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Awesome Games Done Quick 2022 Online is over! A big thank you to all the staff, runners, donators, and watchers who helped out in raising over $3.4 million dollars for the Prevent Cancer Foundation!

Two twos makes four, and this is the fourth online-only main GDQ. What does that mean? Absolutely nothing, but let a man make his math jokes. But yes, it's Awesome Games Done Quick 2022 time! Like the AGDQs before it, it will be benefiting the Prevent Cancer Foundation.

This will all happen from January 9th to 16th, a week that as always will be full of going fast. Many fasts, in fact!

====================

Exactly what those fasts will be is something you can find on the schedule (also available on Horaro). It's even helpful enough to automatically adjust to your time zone! Expect slight variations, so it's a good thing to be on time for the things you care about.

The main ways to watch are the GDQ website, and the GDQ Twitch page. If you're going to be watching through a browser, the website is recommended.

But the best way to consume GDQ is to do so via your favourite media player, which you can easily do by using Streamlink and Streamlink Twitch GUI! They're very easy to use. Make sure you're using the latest versions of both, old versions won't work anymore.

Whichever way you choose, you're gonna miss things. But you'll be fully able to catch up afterwards, since you will be able to find all the fasts on the GDQ Youtube channel. You can find them even easier on the amazing website GDQ VODs, which is maintained by fellow goon Steve Holt!.

In addition to watching the fasts, you'll want to talk about the fasts, of course. Skip out on Twitch chat and instead come around to one of these friendly chat channels:

GDQ IRC: #sdamarathon at irc.quakenet.org (not GDQ official anymore, has been taken over by myself and anton and is now the Speedrunning marathon channel on Quakenet.)
Direct link | Quakenet Webchat
GDQ Discord

Goon IRC: #speedruns at irc.synirc.net
Direct link | synirc Webchat
Goon speedrunning Discord | Speedfriends Shitposting

====================

Some quick history and information about the event:

Games Done Quick started in 2010 with the first marathon, Classic Games Done Quick, hosted from Mike Uyama's mother's basement. Since then, it has grown immensely and hosts not only two big Games Done Quick marathons annually, but also other shorter marathons like Frame Fatales, one-offs like a Corona Relief Done Quick back in April 2020, and lots of other speedrunning content happening every week on their Twitch channel.

The two main GDQ events are currently the largest global fundraising events for the charities they benefit. AGDQ 2014 was the first time any GDQ event broke one million dollars in donations for a single event, and SGDQ 2019 was the first to break three million. The current lifetime total of donations to GDQ events is just shy of thirty-four point four million dollars.

All of the money raised during Awesome Games Done Quick goes directly to the Prevent Cancer Foundation. No cut is taken by any of the staff or participants, all attendees pay for their own travel and living expenses. It is true that some organizers get paid for it, but not through any cut of the donations—the truth is simply that putting on GDQ is more of less a full-time job for many of the core staff, so some of them are employed by the charity to make sure the marathon can even happen.

The staff always try to make sure that the quality of the stream is as good as it can be. Mistakes can always happen with all the tech involved, especially for an online marathon. Delays and unforseen problem are not unlikely to occur. Please be patient when this happens, it's definitely even more frustrating for the runners and staff than it is for you as a viewer!

====================

So now it's time to donate, don't you think? That's something you can do on the donation page on the Awesome Games Done Quick 2022 Online tracker page. There you can leave your comment, and you can also find what prizes you might be eligible for, and see what your money can do for you. If you leave a really good comment, it might even get read on air, but there's too many comments to be able to really count on that.

What your money can do for you is be used for incentives, which are a variety of bids that relate to various games. These can include naming a character, picking a game mode, playing some extra challenge level, and even get more games added to the schedule. All these incentives can be found on the bid index page.

There's also prizes to win! When you make a donation, if you donate at least a certain amount, you'll be entered into a raffle where you can win things! The buy-in for most of the prices is in the range of $5-$25, with a few at $50 and a single at $100. There's also two grand prizes where you have to donate a a total of $250 across the entire event to be entered into the drawing.

So anyway, you obviously want some examples of what you can win, and they come here!

Misspelling!

Nature!

Light!

Gambling!

Pizza!

Crimes!

Rocks!

Oil!

Scribbles!

:slime:

If you want to get stuff, but don't want to enter a lottery for it, then you can absolutely do so while still making your money go to charity. You can get some shirts from The Yetee, or some various stuff from Fangamer. A portion of the sale for each item on both stores will go directly to the Prevent Cancer Foundation.

====================

Questions that may or may not still be frequent:

Q: What runs should I watch?
A: This question has no answer. Read the schedule. Find games that you're interested in, or that you think will be interesting. Thread should hopefully have some recommendations over the course of the marathon. Silly Games block is normally great though.

Q: Will ____ be featured?
A: Check the schedule. If they're not listed as a runner or commentator, it doesn't really matter if they're there or not. There's been some, let's say, controversial runners/commentators in the past—it's for the best if we don't bring that up.

Q: Why isn't ____ on the schedule?
A: Because there's simply not enough room for it. GDQ has grown so much that it's not even remotely possible to let everyone who wants to attend have a game on the schedule anymore. There's going to be hundreds of people there, and while not all of them are runners, many games and people have had to be cut from the schedule to fit it into a weeklong marathon.

Q: What's this about GDQ banning fun?
A: Just a silly misconception. There's no fun police, and certainly no rules in place that state everything has to be super serious and clinical. A rule that is in place is that people on camera who aren't the runner shouldn't be taking focus or attention away from the run or the runner(s). When you're an event the size of GDQ, allowing people to do whatever they want on camera just isn't possible... not that that applies as much to the online marathons.

Q: Where is this happening?
A: Cyber City. Okay not really but I'll take any excuse to post that song.

Q: Are they really on Zoom?
A: No, but the joke was too good to pass up.

====================

That's about it, really! Please just remember what we're all here for. We enjoy watching doing fasts for good, so please, don't use this thread to bring up drama about speedrun marathons and specific runners. This thread is for discussing the speedruns happening at the current marathon, and above all, please be respectful towards everybody involved in this event, be they organizers, runners, commentators, announcers, or just watchers. We're here to have a good time.

If you got any questions about anything relating to the marathon, just go ahead and ask them! There's a bunch of goons actively involved with GDQ itself, and many more that are active in the wider speedrun community. So we've got people who can answer your questions. Either here, in any of the chat channels I mentioned earlier, or in the main speedrunning thread where we're always happy to see new speedrunning fans.

So let's enjoy another marathon together!

====================

Past marathon threads
AGDQ 2012 | AGDQ 2013 | SGDQ 2013 | AGDQ 2014 | SGDQ 2014 | ESA 2014 | AGDQ 2015 | ESA 2015 | SGDQ 2015 | AGDQ 2016 | SGDQ 2016 | ESA 2016 | AGDQ 2017 (Chat) | SGDQ 2017 (Chat) | ESA 2017 | HRDQ | AGDQ 2018 (Chat) | SGDQ 2018 (Chat) | ESA 2018 (Chat) | GDQx 2018 (Chat) | AGDQ 2019 (Chat) | ESAW 2019 | SGDQ 2019 | ESA 2019 | GDQx 2019 | AGDQ 2020 | ESAW 2020 & FF 2020 | CRDQ | SGDQ 2020 | AGDQ 2021 | SGDQ 2021

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Post reserved! Plan is to put run recommendations here, so post them if you got 'em.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jan 9, 2022

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

Metal Gear Solid as a finale still baffles me a bit.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

French Accent posted:

I mean, the Otacon vs Meryl is an obvious weeklong donation incentive.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The Yetee designs are pretty nice. I actually haven't got an event shirt in a few years now, but the postal fees overseas just keep increasing. So maybe get better bang for buck and get two instead??

Alternative Horaro schedule here if you prefer that.

https://horaro.org/agdq/2022

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Last shirt I got was the Shades one a few marathons ago. Now I've got some extra cash so I might pick up some more, would probably grab at least three to make it worth it with customs. We'll see.

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

MatchaZed posted:

I mean, the Otacon vs Meryl is an obvious weeklong donation incentive.

If that's the actual reason, I'm all in for it.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
As always, I look forward to screwing up my sleep schedule when Awful block comes around. Thankfully I am working from home at least!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

:fluffy:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

First evening (EU time) looks pretty solid. I want to catch at least up until Mega Man 2.

Tomorrow morning is filled with a lot of stuff I never seen a speedrun for. Which is usually the best part of these events! :sanix:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

TeaJay posted:

First evening (EU time) looks pretty solid. I want to catch at least up until Mega Man 2.

Tomorrow morning is filled with a lot of stuff I never seen a speedrun for. Which is usually the best part of these events! :sanix:
Yeah, the opening looks a lot more interesting (to me) than it has for several years!

I hope to at least be able to wake up for Antichamber 100%, as I can't think how that can possibly avoid being all kinds of awesome.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I'll be missing a bunch of things as AGDQ this year coincides with one of the two most intense work weeks of the year for me. I work six out of seven days, with Monday and Friday being all-day shifts. Am at work now and am scheduled to still be at work when the pre-show starts, but there is a small chance I'll be able to leave early. Either way I'll be able to catch Hunters and DKC2, but tomorrow the only thing that I both want to watch and will be able to watch is MMX4.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Boy, there's some weird stuff on that schedule.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I think they had a 4-way Zadette race on last Retrothon ... or possibly Big Bad game-a-thon... Anyway, it's a sight to see for sure!

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I know I've seen a 4-player race of Zadette before, I think it was at an ESA, if not BBGAT. It's... a game.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

*slams the door open*
I'M HERE. can't wait for some of my favourite time of the year with speedruns. Looking forward to punchys run, but looking through the schedule, I see a lot of new (to me) names. I take it as a sign the scene has grown and the hobby is going strong, very good.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

As much as I love these marathons I still resent that they put Awful block at the least convenient possible time for me.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
https://twitter.com/uraniumanchor/status/1480177540970987520

Get hyped, friends.

I'm currently at the studio keeping an eye on the tracker leading in to the kickoff, and then will be running the audio mixer from 5p-11p Eastern every night. Should be fun times!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

French Accent posted:

The real finale is blindfolded Sekiro because that is impossible and must have been submitted as a joke.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

T-minus two hours until games start (and less for the pre-show), excellent.

Kikas posted:

Looking forward to punchys run, but looking through the schedule, I see a lot of new (to me) names. I take it as a sign the scene has grown and the hobby is going strong, very good.
I noted that too - there are a couple ultra-familiar names with half a dozen GDQ's under their belt, but the vast majority of the names are new to me.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

games! done!! quick!!!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

French Accent posted:

mgs is win op

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I'm excited for the games being done quick, and expect, some day, for them to troll us and have an awesome games done slow marathon where its nothing but people who have never played videogames before desperately trying to finish their first one.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

UraniumAnchor posted:

https://twitter.com/uraniumanchor/status/1480177540970987520

Get hyped, friends.

I'm currently at the studio keeping an eye on the tracker leading in to the kickoff, and then will be running the audio mixer from 5p-11p Eastern every night. Should be fun times!

Good luck in dealing with whatever complications pop up this year.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Got home from work just in time to catch the pre-show before dinner. Woop.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Another year of not being able to watch it anywhere near as much as I want to, but still, let the hype train roll!

rox
Sep 7, 2016

gdq rules :3:

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Looking forward to another stellar Awful Block.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Here we go!

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I feel the need. The need for speed!

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Ooooh Spike knows what's up, horror block is always fantastic.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Let's go fast!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

French Accent posted:

Baffles me more that an RPG that isn't even finished is one of the final games but I guess that's just what gaming is like now.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Baffles me more that an RPG that isn't even finished is one of the final games but I guess that's just what gaming is like now.

yup. THIs. why would they pick the popular rpg with a perfect circle venn diagram of interest with people who watch gdq. gaming has gone down the farking TOILET.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Stux posted:

yup. THIs. why would they pick the popular rpg with a perfect circle venn diagram of interest with people who watch gdq. gaming has gone down the farking TOILET.

Oh I completely understand why they'd do it I just don't like it because I wanted to play Deltarune as an actual complete product but the internet makes that impossible.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I get this is a time loop joke but presenting it as three dudes gaslighting the only woman isn’t the best choice for the lighthearted intro.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

fu's acting weird is she ok

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I never liked the skit humor they do, it never lands for me. Excited for the actual marathon to start tho.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Agent355 posted:

I never liked the skit humor they do, it never lands for me. Excited for the actual marathon to start tho.

Ehh it's hit and miss, this year is more of a miss for me but that's ok. They're more fun with a live audience imo :P

Loving the poems though!

edit: and the snippets are pretty good, very groundhog day. Kungfu is really selling it.

Ravus fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Comrade Fakename posted:

I get this is a time loop joke but presenting it as three dudes gaslighting the only woman isn’t the best choice for the lighthearted intro.

this. being in a time loop means the people who are unaware of it are gaslighting. off to a BAD start tbh.