Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Shooting below 90 is all about consistency, which is why the whaddaplaya guy is so good because he talks a lot about how you always aim away from trouble and he also shows that getting up and down from straightforward positions is heaps easier than you'd think

My game has improved heaps since i accepted that I probably hit 1/3 irons where I want, so I should aim somewhere where the other 2 aren't going to screw me over. Low stress golf!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
I agree. Once you accept that your dispersion is less sniper rifle and more buckshot it puts you in a mindset to avoid trouble. Aiming for fat parts of the fairway/green complex usually gets rid of most of the double bogies.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
This also why having a miss right or left is fine, but a two way miss is hard to overcome. Planning for the miss to be safe is tough if you don't know where your miss is. Accept a fade/slice before converting to a two way mistake.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Another perfect weather day another round of dialing the irons in.

loving had a chance on 18 to shoot even par and proceeded to 3 putt for par.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
What I really want is to swing like Sergio

https://youtu.be/e2Bojr03bOQ

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I hit a 330 yard drive today according to Garmin golf on a par 5

Then I shot at the green, hit the fringe, and 3 putted for par

Very nice

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Mattfl, I should play golf with you one day. I feel like we could play straight up. Would be a blast.

Kirios, I'm not saying I did a bad thing, but I just won an auction for a Cobra Agera putter.

Encouraging words about your new putter are needed right now lol

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Kameh posted:

Mattfl, I should play golf with you one day. I feel like we could play straight up. Would be a blast.

Kirios, I'm not saying I did a bad thing, but I just won an auction for a Cobra Agera putter.

Encouraging words about your new putter are needed right now lol

My man, anytime you're in central florida the round is on me!

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Supposed to be back at work but the Australian PGA is on 20mins from home so I’m drinking beers and watching golf. This is a good Friday.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

SquirrelGrip posted:

Supposed to be back at work but the Australian PGA is on 20mins from home so I’m drinking beers and watching golf. This is a good Friday.

Jealous

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

20 capper makes a hole in one and an albatross in the same round.

https://www.golfwrx.com/667564/20-handicap-player-achieves-feat-never-accomplished-by-pga-tour-pro/

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
https://twitter.com/kevinna915/status/1482154610445807620

:drat:

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Imagine hitting this shot ever, much less for a kick-in playoff win. Jesus.

https://twitter.com/GolfCentral/status/1482914733598683148

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Grayson Murray should really delete his Twitter account.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
My company gives us a set amount of dollars we can get reimbursed on every year for fitness/hobby equipment and this year I've decided to use it on new irons (and possibly a 3 wood). My current irons are 14 year old Callaway X-22 Tours which I actually really like but I do want to look at some advances in technology and see if making golf a little easier makes it more fun.

I have a demo set of the Sub 70 699 Pros coming on Thursday (they send a 6 & 9 iron) so I'm excited to get out on the course and try those this weekend. I'm also getting a fitting for the first time ever so I'm curious to see what shaft, lie, loft, etc. they recommend. I'm currently an 11 handicap and really want to get into single digits this year so I figured that's a good first step.

Anyone have any of the Sub 70 irons and can relate their experience? I have the 3 hybrid and it's maybe my favorite club in my bag. My home course is pretty narrow and really rewards being 220ish in the fairway versus 290 in the trees and that hybrid is a lifesaver.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

wtf kind of racket is that and how do I sign up? I want my company to pay for my golf equipment!

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

Kirios posted:

wtf kind of racket is that and how do I sign up? I want my company to pay for my golf equipment!

It was originally part of a wellness program and could only be used on fitness related purchases, but then it was changed in an attempt to be more inclusive and now encompasses a lot of hobbies (you can buy woodworking/blacksmithing equipment, photography, etc.). My original plan was to buy a new (to me) camera but that would have basically used all of it and I figured I'd get more use out of clubs this year. A new set of Sub 70 irons will be roughly half of the allotment, so I can still use the other half on some other stuff. Last year I used it to buy a Skytrak and the year before a power rack for a home gym.

Also, them throwing this money at us is cheaper than giving raises.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I am extremely interested to hear how it goes for you, sub 70 is on my short list for new irons this year.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Got a huge trip planned for later this year. Heading to Pinehurst in September for #2, 4, 8, 1, 3, 5, the cradle, pine needles, mid pines, southern pines, and tobacco road, then to charlotte for 2 days of the president's cup. Easily going to be the best golf trip of my life. Super pumped.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Dr. Capco posted:

Got a huge trip planned for later this year. Heading to Pinehurst in September for #2, 4, 8, 1, 3, 5, the cradle, pine needles, mid pines, southern pines, and tobacco road, then to charlotte for 2 days of the president's cup. Easily going to be the best golf trip of my life. Super pumped.

Sup Pinehurst trip buddy! We're headed there in May, we have 5 rounds scheduled at Pinehurst, #7, 2, 9, 6, 4 and are thinking of hitting Pine Needles on the way home.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Cant wait to play another us open course. Also makes me realize that unless youre super well connected, you can only realistically play only like 5 of the us open courses which is quite lame. Whereas you can play almost every single Open rota course in some realistic capacity. I wish the US had the same mentality that the uk does when it comes to being inclusive.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
Went to the golf store today to try a bunch of irons, since I need a set to play (horribly, I might add) - generally for work type events. I took a golf class while in college 10ish years ago, but I haven’t really played much since then and don’t really plan to practice/play more then 6-8 times a year and I generally lose about 8-10 balls each round but on a good day I’ll lose only 3.

I walked out with a set of lightly used Cleveland Launcher Turbo Hybrid irons. These things are fat as gently caress and look like a sledgehammer in motion.

The pro at the store told me I was going to get laughed at and only 65 year old guys play with hybrid irons and they’ll hold back my game and I’ll be back in a year wanting something more advanced.

Couldn’t tell if I made a bad purchase or if the guy was an rear end in a top hat/trying to upsell me something more expensive.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Zarfol posted:

The pro at the store told me I was going to get laughed at and only 65 year old guys play with hybrid irons and they’ll hold back my game and I’ll be back in a year wanting something more advanced.

Couldn’t tell if I made a bad purchase or if the guy was an rear end in a top hat/trying to upsell me something more expensive.

He's right about the second part about wanting "better" clubs if you do catch the bug and decide you want to play more.

The first part, who gives a gently caress. I've never had anyone comment on a club in my bag unless they owned the same club/liked the sound of it/were considering buying it. Ever.

And yes, he's an rear end in a top hat.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

He's right about the second part about wanting "better" clubs if you do catch the bug and decide you want to play more.

The first part, who gives a gently caress. I've never had anyone comment on a club in my bag unless they owned the same club/liked the sound of it/were considering buying it. Ever.

And yes, he's an rear end in a top hat.

Yeah, this. Use what makes the game fun for you, and if you get the bug and decide to make upgrades, well, at least these first ones were also used.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I didn’t really need new golf shoes but it wasn’t too bad a wait to get a pair of these this morning.

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
When I went to pick up some new golf shoes, there was a nice sale for some shoes without traditional laces and a dial, I don't think I'm ever going back to laces. Nice kicks, look nice

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

mattfl posted:

I didn’t really need new golf shoes but it wasn’t too bad a wait to get a pair of these this morning.

These look fantastic, I just wish they'd make them with soft spikes instead of spikeless.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
This thread is interesting. I've only been playing for a few months (also getting lessons). I can't imagine being good enough at golf to think that my clubs are the problem. Maybe in 10 years I'll be at that level.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Zarfol posted:

The pro at the store told me I was going to get laughed at and only 65 year old guys play with hybrid irons...

Ridiculous. I’ve never had anyone say anything negative about any club in my bag, and I play (poorly) at a golf-centric snooty country club. You might even get a few, “Hey can I take a couple swings with those,” because super-game-improvement irons tend to be long and straight, and guys like hitting to the moon.

The guy was trying to shame you into spending more money.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I can't even remember the last time I looked at anyone else's clubs

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

That guy was an rear end. Use whatever, no one cares.
HOWEVER, I will mentally pass judgement on anyone who has a staff bag.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

dangling pointer posted:

That guy was an rear end. Use whatever, no one cares.
HOWEVER, I will mentally pass judgement on anyone who has a staff bag.

I will also always make fun of my dad for doing one brand all the way through his bag, including the brand name on the bag. I don't care of anyone else does it, but his ego needs to be kept in check.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Giving dads a hard time is just part of nature.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

daslog posted:

I went from mid 20s to as low as a 16 over the past three years. All it took was getting 4 or 5 lessons a year, 2 visits a week to the driving range, 1 visit a week to the putting green (only practice lag puts and 4 footers). Now I can break 90 on a somewhat regular basis.

People will say it's all about the short game, but they are wrong. It's really about being good enough off the tee and with your irons to hit 6 greens in reg. If you can do that, you will have good enough scores to break 90. Now, if you want to go even lower, then yes the putting game becomes more important.

The lessons are good, but hitting the range consistently to drill the lessons into muscle memory are the key thing here I think. I've had lessons before and it always fixes the two major deficiencies in my swing (Leaving the club face open, and moving my spine too much that I top the ball) for as long as I am able to play consistently. But without that range time I always always fall back into old habits after a month or so.

I honestly think it's my terrible swing that keeps me at a 37 hdcp. I'm often too nervous to full send a driver because I know it's going to spin off to the right, so I lose 40 yds on a drive just to keep it straight, and my irons are inconsistent at best between topping the poo poo out of the ball 3-4 times in a row, or hitting it clean and sending it right or left.

My chips are bang on everytime I have no idea why they're so good but within 90 yds I can consistently land it on the dance floor, and my putting while not great is good enough for bogey golf.

I've made it a priority this year to get down to a 20 hdcp. I've got lessons lined up starting in a few weeks and I'm going to dedicate time out for range time to drill the lessons into muscle memory.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Clubs are almost never the problem HOWEVER if your clubs are fairly old (10+ years) newer clubs can definitely help. If you're rolling out there with a driver you got a decade ago and it doesn't have any adjustability to it, you can blame your poor results on your swing for sure but a newer driver with some adjustability can definitely make the game more fun to play. Even something as simple as just being able to close the club face at address a smidge means that if you hit it at the same point you normally do, where your clubface would have been open, now it's square.

I got a new 3 hybrid from Sub 70 a couple of years ago and hit it okay to start with but as soon as I adjusted it to sit a little more upright, it's now a consistent 220 yards dead straight.

Clubs aren't always the answer, but the clubs you have may only be holding you back from having fun.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
I'm decent at golf, and hybrid irons are fun AF.

My dad is a sweeper (shallow descent angle, little to no divot), and he hits his fairway woods and hybrids marvelously.

I'm trying to convince him to get a set of hybrid irons.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I look at everyone's clubs because i used to be a huge club ho :(

No judgment though, mainly just curiosity.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah I just think golf clubs are cool bits of tech and like talking about them. Would've ever think to judge someone's choice (other than those old box-shaped drivers).

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

xsf421 posted:

I will also always make fun of my dad for doing one brand all the way through his bag, including the brand name on the bag.
Ahem rude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I feel personally attacked by that comment. Not my fault only one maker does one length!