Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Valtonen posted:

If you have the influence gather an army of your current kingdom with every noble you can; bring a ton of food. Lead them to the farthest northern edge of sturgia. Run in circles until you hear that they are eating your food. Dismantle army; leave them to die of starvation; switch sides.

Yeah this is what it might come to. Right now I've been weakening the kingdom by hoarding armies and then intentionally allowing towns that I don't own to get eaten, or by throwing away army units on bad matchups. The real issue is that even if I get away from my current kingdom peacefully the other kingdoms will just murder me if I go independent.

Really seems like I should be able to go "I married your daughter maybe we could just be cool"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Ravenfood posted:

In the new version you can just make two formations of archers and command them separately.

Oh, well that is easy :unsmith:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Ravenfood posted:

Caladog keeps suggesting this lady Corein with 200 bow skill and nothing else.

This is weirdly hilarious.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

iirc Corein is Caladog's daughter so sure if he wants to marry her off he's not going to play matchmaker for someone else

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Just picked this up on a whim and really enjoying it so far. Have about a 80 man army of mostly horse archers/raiders. So far most of my time has been spent bullying bandits and tagging along with not-mongol war parties in some various wars against their neighbors.

Somehow got voted to get a castle after a battle, which immediately tanked my economy cause it had a poo poo ton of high level troops garrisoned. I ended up having to donate them to nearby towns because I was getting to the point of being perma broke.

Is there any reason to actually enter towns and explore? They are kinda cool and seem like they have neat models, but it seems like it’s basically the same options as the town menu but slower.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

causticBeet posted:

Just picked this up on a whim and really enjoying it so far. Have about a 80 man army of mostly horse archers/raiders. So far most of my time has been spent bullying bandits and tagging along with not-mongol war parties in some various wars against their neighbors.

Somehow got voted to get a castle after a battle, which immediately tanked my economy cause it had a poo poo ton of high level troops garrisoned. I ended up having to donate them to nearby towns because I was getting to the point of being perma broke.

Is there any reason to actually enter towns and explore? They are kinda cool and seem like they have neat models, but it seems like it’s basically the same options as the town menu but slower.

You can play gta medieval and gangbang on the backstreets. With self-forged “civilian” gear and a crew of companions it’s a way to do some foot combat relatively easy. In theory you could find trading tips from the people walking around but it’s highly questionable profit/time investment.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The models are mostly there for the fighting. The menus are to reduce the tedium. Trust me, you don't want to have to run through towns for everything. If anything, Bannerlord needs even more abstraction, not less.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Does anyone have a list of goon recommended mods? People have mentioned the smithing stamina one and I assume Diplomacy, anything else good people are using?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
RTS camera was my favorite mod when I played last, but it may not be updated any more.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

RTS camera was my favorite mod when I played last, but it may not be updated any more.

There's an "rts camera continued support" mod.
Or a name very close to that.
It's compatible with 1.6.5, and likely to be updated to the next version soon

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
That's great news. Really changes the game for the better IMO

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i havent played for quite a while now but some of my favorites that look like they're still up to date (for some of them, they seem to have been abandoned by the original author but after checking, it looks like theres a forked mod that claims to be compatible with newer game versions)

RTS Camera
Kaoses Tweaks (for smithing stamina regen, could be used to cheat)
Party AI Overhaul and Commands (this one might conflict with features they added into the base game, I dunno)
Improved Garrisons
Party Screen Enhancements
Better Exception Window (for debugging your mod list)
Equip Best Item

this is mostly QoL stuff. Party AI Overhaul may be superseded somewhat by new features in the base game. It or Improved Garrisons is probably the most cheaty beyond the tweak mod

it's probably best to sort by last updated on Nexus to browse to find mods that will support the current version

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
This game needs to either implement ghost commanding or taking over the next in command mid battle into native. 95% of any difficulty in battle is juggling between personally doing the battlefield role that AI is simply incapable of and trying to not get wounded and lose the entire battle because the AI taking over deciders that the archers you carefully posted on hilltop should relocate to the bottom of a pit.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Just play general by standing atop a hill and commanding people.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Tankbuster posted:

Just play general by standing atop a hill and commanding people.

if i'm gonna do that I might as well be playing total warhammer, i play mount and blade to slay some fools

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

finding a moment between cleaving nerds and dodging cavalry charges to take a breather and order your dudes around every once in a while is an important part of the gameplay imo

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

finding a moment between cleaving nerds and dodging cavalry charges to take a breather and order your dudes around every once in a while is an important part of the gameplay imo

Its one reason I can't, no matter how much I want to, play someone who fights in a shieldwall or as a Battanian noble. The horse is just too useful for commanding.

Also, its a pain in the rear end to switch governors and parties. I really want to swap one governor with one party leader and it seems to involve removing the governor, taking all of the troops from the party leader into my own party, then creating a new party under the first NPC. Slow.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Friendly AI being dumb as bricks is why I don't think I'll ever go beyond the crutch difficulties with half damage for friendly troops, etc.

The only thing that the AI is better at than me is that it can actually skirmish with horse archers without having to spend the entire match going "okay, now go this way. Then that way. Then this way". Commanding Cavalry is already a pain in the rear end when all they ever want to do is face tank the infantry line, but at least once you get them behind the line you can just have them charge in

In other news, I finally got my kingdom up and stable (thank you smithing for floating peace treaty costs) but man is it a colossal pain in the rear end to recruit nobles to your cause even if you have a high relationship with them. I've taken to going to major cities and just running down the list of any present nobles hoping to get the option.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Does having a kingdom turn into perma-war like previous patches?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

You get wardecced a lot but if you have good enough money flow you can tribute your way into only fighting one at a time.

Re: the new pre-battle system, I realized last night that certain siege battles will allow you to spawn your units basically at the gate rather than having to run up across a field of death. It seems that it is more common on plains forts, mountainous forts are more likely to require you to spawn on the back line.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
I find cavalry is a lot easier to command here than Warband since they will charge, peel off and charge again with just one "charge" order. In Warband they would charge in and then flail away in the most pit while getting owned by infantry.

You can always get your cav unit to follow you and lead then in and out of the fight if that's what you want.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

Its one reason I can't, no matter how much I want to, play someone who fights in a shieldwall or as a Battanian noble. The horse is just too useful for commanding.

sturgians are my favorite faction so I'm shield wall 4 lyfe but I understand how useful a horse is so I'll usually be parked up on top of one until lines meet. It's historically accurate too!

Also if you want cav archers to skirmish, don't have them Charge, have them Advance. They'll keep formation and try to stay just at their range while circling the enemy to the right. Key word "try" lol.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
I think they'll still plow in when they run out of arrows though

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
same

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

I think they'll still plow in when they run out of arrows though

yeah what I think could be a cool addition is another tier of orders, like "when you're done doing this, go do that". It would make the system way more complicated though.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I want to be able to target a formation. Most specifically, I want a way to be able to have my cavalry charge their cavalry and then pursue them, not charge head on into the advancing shield wall. Also would love to have them engage the archers sitting in a loose easily charged open formation without having to have them use "follow" and do manual loops.

Basically I want a way, any way, to avoid my cavalry from charging into blocks of infantry until they are good and engaged.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

I want to be able to target a formation. Most specifically, I want a way to be able to have my cavalry charge their cavalry and then pursue them, not charge head on into the advancing shield wall. Also would love to have them engage the archers sitting in a loose easily charged open formation without having to have them use "follow" and do manual loops.

Basically I want a way, any way, to avoid my cavalry from charging into blocks of infantry until they are good and engaged.

Id like this a lot. It’s weird because in big arm battles where you aren’t the commander, the AI gives orders like ‘protect right flank of infantry from enemy cavalry’ so the ai is there I guess? Id very much like to be able to just tell my cav to keep their cav off my archers

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Ravenfood posted:

Also, its a pain in the rear end to switch governors and parties. I really want to swap one governor with one party leader and it seems to involve removing the governor, taking all of the troops from the party leader into my own party, then creating a new party under the first NPC. Slow.

There's a mod that allows you to join a party as a soldier + get paid for it.

That's how I get my shieldwallin' in.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

dogstile posted:

There's a mod that allows you to join a party as a soldier + get paid for it.

That's how I get my shieldwallin' in.
I really should have used that and a few other QoL mods before I started because that sounds like a good start and a nice change from just horse archery or horse-large-weaponry. I like the foot combat I just can't stand commanding on foot. Which makes sense! I also like the sense of progression that seems like it would create.

e: Also would really love to have more companions with Engineering or Stewardship!

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 11, 2022

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Ravenfood posted:

Phillip VI? What are you doing on the forums?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
The true Freelancer experience is grinding your way up to becoming an elite troop, then deserting with top level gear and joining your employer's sworn enemy

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I love how you can make your pre-teen kids/siblings governors. Yeah this little girl has zero experience and literally can't be fielded as a troop but gently caress it, govern!

e: I lied. She can be fielded as a hero! She's actually got a ton of available skill points and stat boosts. She also looks 14, so that's a bit odd in the shield wall.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 11, 2022

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Sounds pretty historical though

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Do companions gain XP while governing? Like can I just throw some fresh companion in as a governor and they will naturally get good at it or do I need to keep them in an active party for a bit to level up

downout
Jul 6, 2009

causticBeet posted:

Do companions gain XP while governing? Like can I just throw some fresh companion in as a governor and they will naturally get good at it or do I need to keep them in an active party for a bit to level up

Last I remembered they did get XP in the respective categories - maybe charm, steward, trading? Like everything, there is no documentation on how it's supposed to work.

Actually, I've been wondering when the game releases if there will be some specific details on how some of this works. Or maybe if the target stops moving some better mods will come out to make the whole governing, etc bit suck less.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

causticBeet posted:

They get steward XP only, as far as I can tell. They do not gain any engineering or charm experience.

Which means that as far as I can tell the most valuable companions are engineers. Faster building and then can slowly gain steward experience as well, but the opposite is not true.

Also poo poo your baby siblings get some nice stats once they come of age. They just look really really young at the time they do.

What I want to know is: what does the "heroes generate shared experience" of one of the leadership skills do?

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 11, 2022

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

They get steward XP only, as far as I can tell. They do not gain any engineering or charm experience.

Which means that as far as I can tell the most valuable companions are engineers. Faster building and then can slowly gain steward experience as well, but the opposite is not true.

Also poo poo your baby siblings get some nice stats once they come of age. They just look really really young at the time they do.

What I want to know is: what does the "heroes generate shared experience" of one of the leadership skills do?

look for it in https://www.bannerlordperks.com/

downout
Jul 6, 2009

omg i hate that perk.

"This perk correctly grants +5 party size per town the party leader controls if he has the perk.
It also correctly gives 5% of the experience that heroes receive to each troop, divided by 20 (rounded down) if the party leader has the perk."

The hero xp part is fine; the +5 party size per town the party leader controls just ends up costing premium troops unless you always stay 5-10 below your max. It's just a huge pita

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

downout posted:

omg i hate that perk.

"This perk correctly grants +5 party size per town the party leader controls if he has the perk.
It also correctly gives 5% of the experience that heroes receive to each troop, divided by 20 (rounded down) if the party leader has the perk."

The hero xp part is fine; the +5 party size per town the party leader controls just ends up costing premium troops unless you always stay 5-10 below your max. It's just a huge pita

How so? Seems like if you're the party leader and control the towns is a guaranteed extra few troops.

Also general thought: the perks that let's you donate armor and/weapons to your troops is pretty great to be honest, but you really need both or its just a pain. Is there a way to respec perk choices?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

man the more I play with this new formation system the more I hate it. I can't easily separate bowmen and crossbowmen (you can have it prefer shields, but not all crossbowmen have shields), I can't put my spearmen in a different formation than my shields, etc. No putting low-rank troops in big mobs for training or cannon-fodder, and I can't have my companions in a retainer squad following me around as bodyguards.

I don't want to roll the patch back either because I like pretty much everything else about it (though I think my smithing is broken, I can't select anything other than daggers for some reason). Hope they get it sorted out soon, or a modder does lol