Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Wait, where our HD Space Invaders remake then? Why is no one asking about this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Moola posted:

it is genuinely hilarious how many times SE has self owned Sideshow Bob style, Spirits Within and FFXIV 1.0 being the most obvious examples

also, consider that apparently some of the sub fee profits from FFXIV go toward funding new games. So while 14 is raking in money, it sometimes is just directly funnelled down the toilet to make the videogame equivalents of The Room, with The Quiet Man and then Balan Wonderworld lol

I mean, that's pretty good business sense? Not putting all your eggs in one basket? If anything it's a refreshing change from how Squeenix had been sending their other IPs out to die with unrealistic sales expectations while treating Final Fantasy as the only thing that matters.

Clarste posted:

Wait, where our HD Space Invaders remake then? Why is no one asking about this?

Pretty sure they've been making Space Invaders games for ages, I had fun with Space Invaders Extreme 2 on the DS.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

The last Space Invaders game I played was Infinity Gene, and it was dope as gently caress. It’s coming to Games with Gold later this month, I think.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Infinity Gene and both Extremes are super fuckin' good

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Space Invaders 64 is an underrated game that evolves the game beyond it's arcade origins with more complex mechanics and more thoughtful enemy design including boss battles.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Acerbatus posted:

Space Invaders 64 is an underrated game that evolves the game beyond it's arcade origins with more complex mechanics and more thoughtful enemy design including boss battles.

Somehow despite playing it on PC and not N64 I knew exactly the version you were talking about and that game owned as a kid.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
square was so sure that Spirits Within would be a massive hit that they created a film studio to make it. it ended up only making spirits within and a short for the animatrix and cost square 94 million dollars lmao

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
FF11 made Square so much money they let the guy who made it have carte blanche with FF14 and he decided to not look at anything in the MMO world for influence because he got high on his farts and the rest is history

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Goddamn it, Berserk Games (makers of Tabletop Simulator)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/...=h.vqqwfq48sggg

Player Xoe Alfred is kicked from chat for mentioning that she's gay.

quote:

Transcribed Highlights
Xoe: Okay, so I've read the rules, so if I'm understanding them right, there is nothing wrong with me expressing my trans-ness or gay-ness
[MOD] Jorp: Maybe you didn't understand them correctly
Jorp: Odds are the autoban script will ban you and not me but
<Some chatter about I hope it's not against the rules>
Xoe: Funnily me talking about the history of expressing my gay-ness is against the rules.
<Some chatter asking Jorp to clarify>
Jorp: There's a big thing at the top, I think it's even in bold.
Xoe: Are you saying being gay is not family friendly?
<Kicked>

quote:

Xoe: Okay, so that makes sense to me, so then, why is it that I get kicked for sharing that I'm gay? Or banned for asking if being gay is considered family friendly?
CHRY: Discussing sexuality has no place in global chat.
Xoe: Why not?
CHRY: <The same link to global chat rules>
Xoe: So, then it isn't considered family friendly then
Is gender considered inappropriate for chat too? Like sharing that I'm trans?
CHRY: Tabletop simulator is about playing tabletop games, not a place to discuss sexuality, fetishes, politics. Keep that to your private lobbies or public chats where these things are the topic at hand.
Xoe: Are you suggesting that being trans is a fetish or political?

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Endorph posted:

they own the rights to Space Invaders

I didn't realize they'd slurped up Taito at some point, but sure enough.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2022-01-10-take-two-acquires-zynga

Take-Two is buying Zynga for $12.7 billion. They are doing this to make a huge expansion into mobile markets:

quote:

Looking ahead, Take-Two expects mobile to comprise over 50% of net bookings for fiscal year 2023 as a result of the merger, compared to the estimated 12% in 2022.

Some other large industry mergers and acquisitions, for comparison:

EA/Glu, $2.4 billion (2021)
EA/Codemasters, $1.2 billion (2020)
Microsoft/ZeniMax, $8.1 billion (2020)
Tencent/Supercell, $8.6 billion (2016)
Activision-Blizzard/King, $5.9 billion (2015)
Microsoft/Mojang, $2.5 billion (2014)
Facebook/Oculus, $2 billion (2014)

Also worth noting that Zynga and Take-Two have both shown a lot of interest in integrating "blockchain tech" and NFTs into their games. Fun stuff ahead!

Which one of you guys is still playing FarmVille?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Goddamn it, Berserk Games (makers of Tabletop Simulator)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/...=h.vqqwfq48sggg

Player Xoe Alfred is kicked from chat for mentioning that she's gay.

The devs and the mod have apologized, and they've disabled global chat because surprise its currently unreadable.

https://twitter.com/TabletopSim/status/1480229909150769156

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the use of the term "family-friendly" itself is kind of telling, that's an euphemism with a hell of a history behind it

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
love when a dipshit moderator oversteps their bounds, especially when they (presumably) face backlash over it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Endorph posted:

The devs and the mod have apologized, and they've disabled global chat because surprise its currently unreadable.

https://twitter.com/TabletopSim/status/1480229909150769156
That's great news.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Their stance is basically "wait, our mods were doing WHAT?"

hopefully it's true but even if it isn't, it means they're sufficiently embarassed to be shamed into making it better

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i get "no politics in chat" policies for general chats but yeah when done badly stuff like that happens

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
a ban on politics is fine but when you try to extend that ban to being gay or transgender there is a problem

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

These are the people who used google translate to make the game available in multiple languages so I have to assume the mods are unpaid volunteers or something.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Clarste posted:

These are the people who used google translate to make the game available in multiple languages so I have to assume the mods are unpaid volunteers or something.

that's actually why blanket rules on politics are usually alright, because when your mods are unpaid volunteers it's best to give them very specific rules rather than have them have to litigate whether something counts as being sus enough for a ban or something

but yeah you have to be careful that you don't accidentally ban any discussion about being gay or something

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah, and while this isn't an excuse at all, the mod in question is so eastern european that he thinks 'transgenderism' is the correct english word choice. again, not an excuse at all, but different places have different perceptions of stuff and it's hard to get unpaid volunteers from around the globe to all be on the same page with regard to the issues of the day, even if nobody involved is actively hateful.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Tiny Myers posted:

I hope it's not considered continuing the derail to point out that pepe emotes are a good example of something that can actually be used as a "bigots are safe here" emote with plausible deniability.

They're more generally a hate symbol in that they've been heavily co-opted by the alt-right and were disowned by the creator for that reason, and can and are easily used to "test the boundaries" of a stream - I'm a mod for a few streams including one that's partnered, and I definitely notice that new chatters who end up being a problem often tend to use certain emotes like pepes or kappas, so I treat them as a red flag. They often seem to be seeing what they can get away with before pushing more outright boundaries. Banning those symbols is another way, along with proactive anti-bigotry messaging, to flag "we don't want your kind here" to those individuals.

I know they're used by some people with good intentions, and a lot of partnered streamers have their own variations on them, but several twitch channels I frequent actually disable those emotes outright or replaced them with something else to discourage use, like a speech bubble saying "Please ban me" (for pepes, because those are not native to Twitch - they're from a third party extension, so you can change what shows up). It's done good work.

That is an example of a good worthwhile emote ban that is not easily replaced by another imo.
The whole TTS situation is kind of an illustration why this sort of clear positioning is so important. Otherwise you get what Berserk Games is currently getting in their Steam reviews:
https://twitter.com/DominicTarason/status/1480525410077184006

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
https://twitter.com/JoeSondow/status/1480330254069600260

e: f,b

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Clarste posted:

Kinda related: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2757485/seeking-help-regarding-berserk-games/page/1

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

a ban on politics is fine but when you try to extend that ban to being gay or transgender there is a problem

Coming from gaming in the 90s, "Gay" was such a loaded word that I'm shocked it was not banned out of hand by automated script.

I know times are changing, but how the devil does something like this blow up like this unless its trolling? If you follow the line of questioning it appears the user is bating a ban so he can push some hidden agenda. You have some poor mod who is use to trolls and stuff in general chat and follows rule 0 in that you don't feed the trolls. Also Gay and Trans people (along with anyone else) don't generally jump directly to "I am gay". Its more something that comes out of a general chat or if someone expresses interest in someone.

So this really feels like someone was able to bate a poor mod and less like some kind of global conspiracy or company stand.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

reading that post i assume 'coming from gaming in the 90s' means 'i have just emerged from a time machine from 1991' because lol at all of that.

the hidden agenda of being gay

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah gay people online are really well known for not ever talking about being gay

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also we live in an era where people have their pronouns in their twitter bio and often have pride flags in them too, people absolutely introduce themselves with that stuff. spend literally two minutes in any online space with people below the age of 30 and you'll have a bulleted list of sexualities and gender identities you had never even conceived of before that moment.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

PyRosflam posted:

Coming from gaming in the 90s, "Gay" was such a loaded word that I'm shocked it was not banned out of hand by automated script.

I know times are changing, but how the devil does something like this blow up like this unless its trolling? If you follow the line of questioning it appears the user is bating a ban so he can push some hidden agenda. You have some poor mod who is use to trolls and stuff in general chat and follows rule 0 in that you don't feed the trolls. Also Gay and Trans people (along with anyone else) don't generally jump directly to "I am gay". Its more something that comes out of a general chat or if someone expresses interest in someone.

So this really feels like someone was able to bate a poor mod and less like some kind of global conspiracy or company stand.
:thunk:

rox
Sep 7, 2016

baiting some poor mod by asking my basic human rights to be respected

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Edit misread nvm

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like no seriously im gonna give you good faith here and assume its just cultural disconnect from you probably being on the older side given the 07 reg date/'gaming in the 90s' and sutff and probably spending time in older-leaning communities but like, this is just how people talk now.

im in a couple official discords for mobile games and the self-intro channels are like 'hi im 20, im lesbian, my pronouns are she/her' and 'hi im 19, im trans' and whenever any new character gets added to a game with art they like everyone talks about how gay they are, both for the character and in general. people talk about how much they like when something is 'gender,' ie has transcoded elements to it. this is just how a ton of people online talk these days, especially younger people. its extremely normal.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

quote:

Xoe: Okay, so that makes sense to me, so then, why is it that I get kicked for sharing that I'm gay? Or banned for asking if being gay is considered family friendly?
CHRY: Discussing sexuality has no place in global chat.
Xoe: Why not?
CHRY: <The same link to global chat rules>
Xoe: So, then it isn't considered family friendly then
Is gender considered inappropriate for chat too? Like sharing that I'm trans?
CHRY: Tabletop simulator is about playing tabletop games, not a place to discuss sexuality, fetishes, politics. Keep that to your private lobbies or public chats where these things are the topic at hand.

Honestly, that last part in isolation reads like "Xoe" is either loving stupid or intentionally dense.

:geno: Discussing sexuality has no place in global chat.
:v: ???
:geno: not a place to discuss sexuality, fetishes, politics
:v: wow, you saying it is fetish or political???

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

commando in tophat posted:

Honestly, that last part in isolation reads like "Xoe" is either loving stupid or intentionally dense.

:geno: Discussing sexuality has no place in global chat.
:v: ???
:geno: not a place to discuss sexuality, fetishes, politics
:v: wow, you saying it is fetish or political???
i dont know if you know how to read but they were asking about gender. ie, not sexuality. gender is not sexuality. so if discussing being trans isnt allowed, it can only be fetishes or politics. curious how you intentionally leave out them asking specifically about that!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also why did you put xoe in quotes.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
this is a very good reason that discussions of "sexuality" being blanket-banned is a bad idea, even if what you really mean is discussions of politics relating to sexuality

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The politics triangle is left, right and trans

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

PyRosflam posted:

great post, agreed, all the gays and trans should go back to the 90s so i can laugh at them and then never think of them as human beings again, unlike moderators, who are real and my friends.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

haha what posted:

baiting some poor mod by asking my basic human rights to be respected

My point is that this person is addressing a mod, after reading the rules, and wants to talk about his sexuality on a public form about table top simulation. He/she/they attack the mod with out of context statements:

quote:

Then as soon as this is all over, said person used this as ammo to attack the rep of the business, bomb the steam account and whatnot.

If you replace gay with straight in the above context, a mod might still issue a ban but the trolling becomes more obvious. The mod is clearly but not well able to say "we dont allow conversations about sexuality in global chat for a chat about table top simulators" This would apply to anyone talking about any type for any reason.

I am saying from what's presented, this is not someone being banned for talking about something normal, its someone pushing boundaries, being asked to keep conversations of that nature to more appropriate forums, and getting mad that they did something when He/she/they pushed the subject that based on the outcome, He/she/they was going to push till He/she/they got the response he wanted.

So it feels like a troll to me.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Endorph posted:

i dont know if you know how to read but they were asking about gender. ie, not sexuality. gender is not sexuality. so if discussing being trans isnt allowed, it can only be fetishes or politics. curious how you intentionally leave out them asking specifically about that!

I had no idea being gay was a gender thing

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)