Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

PyRosflam posted:

Coming from gaming in the 90s, "Gay" was such a loaded word that I'm shocked it was not banned out of hand by automated script.

I know times are changing, but how the devil does something like this blow up like this unless its trolling? If you follow the line of questioning it appears the user is bating a ban so he can push some hidden agenda. You have some poor mod who is use to trolls and stuff in general chat and follows rule 0 in that you don't feed the trolls. Also Gay and Trans people (along with anyone else) don't generally jump directly to "I am gay". Its more something that comes out of a general chat or if someone expresses interest in someone.

So this really feels like someone was able to bate a poor mod and less like some kind of global conspiracy or company stand.

i'm gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

hello gay

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
metis please bless this thread with some sixers

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i'm gay, i like games, i'm new in town

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

PyRosflam posted:

this is not someone being banned for talking about something normal,.

guess what dipshit, it's actually extremely normal to be gay and trans and you should probably take the L and stop posting

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
if you are getting trolled by someone being gay and trans then maybe you arent very smart... while i a very smart person am not trolled by that and will simply nod my head in acceptance and not ban you for being gay and trans

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yeah I can’t believe a gay person would have the audacity to be uppity towards a moderator. They should know their place.

Sarcasm if it isn’t obvious.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

How is that an out of context statement? Read the conversation again. Slowly, so your brain can get it.

MOD: Discussing sexuality is against the rules.
Xoe: Okay. Is discussing the fact that I'm trans against the rules?
MOD: Sexuality, politics, and fetishes are against the rules.

Gender is not sexuality. This is not some new-wave hippy speak, those are two entirely separate concepts and always have been, even from well before trans people were in the public consciousness. So, if they are asking, quite specifically, about if it's okay to discuss their gender identity, and are told sexuality, politics, and fetishes are against the rules, and gender is objectively not sexuality, just in a obvious, factual sense: is being trans political, or is it a fetish?

Second question: How did the word 'fetish' enter the conversation at all? Discussion of gay/trans rights can be politically loaded, that is true, so even if I disagree that the base concept of saying you're trans is political, I'll give them that one. So how did the word 'fetishes' enter it? Who is talking about those? What does it imply that the mod brought that up on their own in response to someone asking about being trans?

commando in tophat posted:

I had no idea being gay was a gender thing
Okay, so you can't read. Expected from a c-spam poster. Here, I'll lay it out very slowly for you, so you can get it.

quote:

Xoe: Is gender considered inappropriate for chat too? Like sharing that I'm trans?
CHRY: Tabletop simulator is about playing tabletop games, not a place to discuss sexuality, fetishes, politics. Keep that to your private lobbies or public chats where these things are the topic at hand.
Xoe: Are you suggesting that being trans is a fetish or political?

They specifically asked, about being trans. Which is a gender thing. They accepted the answer about being gay and were asking for clarification on the rules around discussing being trans.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
turning out in force to defend the poor moderators from Big Gay

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Honestly, that last part in isolation reads like "Xoe" is either loving stupid or intentionally dense.

:geno: Discussing sexuality has no place in global chat.
:v: ???
:geno: not a place to discuss sexuality, fetishes, politics
:v: wow, you saying it is fetish or political???
They're obviously asking how saying that they're gay violates the rules, given that it doesn't unless you consider being gay inherently not family friendly. Here are the rules copy and pasted from before this whole sitaution occurred.
https://web.archive.org/web/20210814212817/https://kb.tabletopsimulator.com/getting-started/chat-rules/
Rules¶

Rules are open to interpretation. Do not discuss them in chat. See the "Admin Abuse?" section below if you feel they have not been enforced fairly.

Keep chat family friendly.
Please keep chat in English. You can private message other players through Steam or by using /msg <nickname> <message>
Do not try to get around filters/kicks/bans.
Do not harass players or moderators.
Do not complain about games or players.
Do not discuss chat rules or moderators. If you do not like something a moderator did, you can ask them why they did it using /msg name message in private. If they do not respond, or if you feel they have been abusive, you can contact berserkgames@gmail.com.
Bots are not allowed. GeekShed/Tabletop Simulator bots are the obvious exception.
No hate speech. Do not joke about it either.
No external advertising. You may advertise your table within reason.
Do not spam chat. Do not participate in group spam.

The rules quite obviously don't actually ban discussion of sexuality or gender at all unless you are so bigoted that you consider those things inherently not family friendly.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

PyRosflam posted:

this is not someone being banned for talking about something normal

I didn’t even see this part the first time lol

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Honestly, that last part in isolation reads like "Xoe" is either loving stupid or intentionally dense.

drat you made a worse post than PyRosflam, the person i came here to make fun of for being a terrible poster

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
this is another thing where it's almost certainly a "well intentioned but slightly clueless admin staff" thing but "family-friendly" is a very bad term to use when saying that gay/queer stuff is banned- and i'd fully expect that someone who isn't american wouldn't be aware of the connotations of that term, but still.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

PyRosflam posted:

I am saying from what's presented, this is not someone being banned for talking about something normal, its someone pushing boundaries, being asked to keep conversations of that nature to more appropriate forums, and getting mad that they did something when He/she/they pushed the subject that based on the outcome, He/she/they was going to push till He/she/they got the response he wanted.
id also like to point out that the conversation literally just started with the user Xoe introducing herself as a trans woman. In a self-introduction post. That is not 'pushing boundaries.' She was not discussing bottom surgery or how her tits had grown in on HRT, stuff that is relevant to trans people's experiences but I can also understand not wanting in a general SFW channel. She was literally just introducing herself as a trans woman because she feels it's an important part of her identity. That is not pushing boundaries.

And also you can just use 'they.' You don't have to use he/she/they if you don't know their preferred pronouns, just 'they' is fine. I also question why do you use that to refer to Xoe half the time and then use 'he' the other half of the time.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

honestly that last post in isolation reads like you're a complete dipshit

e: too slow

Weedle
May 31, 2006

sounds like the mod thinks being trans is just a sex thing. unfortunately not an uncommon perspective especially in some parts of the world. dunno what the mod's background is but this seems 2 me like a case of someone without the necessary cultural awareness to handle sensitive topics given the responsibility of doing so anyway. kind of like an sa mod

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Weedle posted:

sounds like the mod thinks being trans is just a sex thing. unfortunately not an uncommon perspective especially in some parts of the world. dunno what the mod's background is but this seems 2 me like a case of someone without the necessary cultural awareness to handle sensitive topics given the responsibility of doing so anyway. kind of like an sa mod
yeah their apology post reads eastern european as gently caress. 'transgenderism' is not a word that appears on the list of best practices.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Endorph posted:

like no seriously im gonna give you good faith here and assume its just cultural disconnect from you probably being on the older side given the 07 reg date/'gaming in the 90s' and sutff and probably spending time in older-leaning communities but like, this is just how people talk now.

im in a couple official discords for mobile games and the self-intro channels are like 'hi im 20, im lesbian, my pronouns are she/her' and 'hi im 19, im trans' and whenever any new character gets added to a game with art they like everyone talks about how gay they are, both for the character and in general. people talk about how much they like when something is 'gender,' ie has transcoded elements to it. this is just how a ton of people online talk these days, especially younger people. its extremely normal.

Can confirm.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Hi I'm trans and gay and like games

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Source4Leko posted:

:same:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm straight and cis but also like games. let's be friends.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm straight and cis

please this is a family hobby we don't discuss your deviant sexualities and fetishes here

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

quickly children, avert your eyes

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Source4Leko posted:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

please this is a family hobby we don't discuss your deviant sexualities and fetishes here

sorry I'll make an auto-ban thread

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

cheetah7071 posted:

Do we allow such debauchery here?

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
We can still be friends I'm friends with lots of deviants.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Source4Leko posted:

Do we allow such debauchery here?

your av is loving incredible for the context of this conversation

e: f;b

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i will not be in that chat, because i love politics, sexuality, fetishes, harassing other players, advertising, and things like that

vhweltall
Jun 14, 2007

Clarste posted:

Can confirm.

Different generations, like almost every other difference category of humanity in the internet age, are tremendously terrible at communicating with each other.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Can't believe anyone doesn't even clue on to the mod named Jorp, the short hand for Jordan Peterson a favorite alt right "intellectual"

It's definitely a stretch but that mod sounds exactly like the same kind of person who loses their poo poo when there's a trans character in a video game and screams about politics.

There's no defending it, but it's a mod not a company exec, and they've got to get some poo poo figured out real quick because gamers are the spiciest online space for people to review bomb over "politics"

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i will not be in that chat, because i love politics, sexuality, fetishes, harassing other players, advertising, and things like that

you don't need a discord mod, you need a discord mod

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Endorph posted:

like no seriously im gonna give you good faith here and assume its just cultural disconnect from you probably being on the older side given the 07 reg date/'gaming in the 90s' and sutff and probably spending time in older-leaning communities but like, this is just how people talk now.

i'm a 42 year old 04 who gamed plenty in the 90s and absolutely no. that poster does not deserve the benefit of the doubt, their position was that of a chud piece of poo poo in the 90s and remains that of a chud piece of poo poo today.

you, endorph, are a good poster though.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I'm straight, but I like games and friends.

Are those cool? I like friends.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i like to game

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm erm..a normal person.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm erm..a normal person.

youre named after a warhammer 40k character, this is a lie

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
HOW DO YOU DO, FELLOW NORMALS.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

youre named after a warhammer 40k character, this is a lie

*nods head sadly*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Kith posted:

your av is loving incredible for the context of this conversation

e: f;b

There's a Chick Tract for every occasion.