Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

marak squires has problems, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I think it was pretty nice of him to have it break immediately, rather than wait two months before activating.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

prisoner of waffles posted:

marak squires has problems, yeah

wait, is that seriously the same guy?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
probably the funniest thing about the js package breaking things is that at no point is any js developer going to take a moment to think about "wow, if one dude 57 dependencies down the chain can commit 'crash_app()' and it breaks thousands of builds everywhere, maybe we should be slightly concerned about an entire language built on the concept of implementing basic functions as open-source micro modules and the possibility of modules that are silently evil instead of just the obvious showstoppers"

i imagine that state actors love this ecosystem because all you really have to do is find one or two packages you can poke stuff into and you're tapped into millions of dumb apps

that said github locking the guy out of his own account is a pretty hearty lol

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i dont condone that guys lovely behavior in real life but heartily condone him taking the code offline. gently caress github caught with their pants down siding with people going "uwu but we need this code for free"

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

rotor posted:

"he should have just quietly taken his project offline"

"why cant he just protest quitely somewhere no one will hear him?"
why can't he seek counseling instead of huffing qanon vapours and displacing his personal issues onto the industry

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Gazpacho posted:

why can't he seek counseling instead of huffing qanon vapours and displacing his personal issues onto the industry

"The Industry" can go fornicate itself with a sharp stick

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

akadajet posted:

wait, is that seriously the same guy?
yes

https://twitter.com/marak/status/1320465599319990272

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol nobody should be giving this whack job any money

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

it would be kind of maddening to be struggling with homelessness while knowing that many large companies rely on your software for day-to-day operations and/or your poo poo got stolen by some vc who flipped it into a profitable thing.

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 10, 2022

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

post hole digger posted:

it would be kind of maddening to be struggling with homelessness while knowing that many large companies rely on your software for day-to-day operations.

it kind of would be yes

idk what this dudes story is but the general reaction to this by the open source "community" has been to circle the wagons to protect industry from harm soooo

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

post hole digger posted:

it would be kind of maddening to be struggling with homelessness while knowing that many large companies rely on your software for day-to-day operations.

especially after neglecting your child and burning your house down preparing for a terrorism

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

post hole digger posted:

it would be kind of maddening to be struggling with homelessness while knowing that many large companies rely on your software for day-to-day operations and/or your poo poo got stolen by some vc who flipped it into a profitable thing.
if you have a problem with people making money off of your work and giving you none of it...maybe dont release under a license that lets people freely reuse it and not pay you anything?

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
it's funny how little these companies would have to spend in order to get goodwill from the foss people.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

FMguru posted:

if you have a problem with people making money off of your work and giving you none of it...maybe dont release under a license that lets people freely reuse it and not pay you anything?

right, and to facilitate this truth we should speak out against the pervasive idea of how doing open source is inherently rewarding and good.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

something tells me this fella wasn't employable even if he didn't do open sores

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

FMguru posted:

sure. im not really defending his actions, just saying i see that as a surreal life outcome.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

FMguru posted:

I think repeatedly reminding industry that they should pay for open source support by crashing their poo poo constantly is far more likely to result in actual corporate dollars being funneled to maintainers than quietly just declining to participate in the system.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

rotor posted:

I think repeatedly reminding industry that they should pay for open source support by crashing their poo poo constantly is far more likely to result in actual corporate dollars being funneled to maintainers than quietly just declining to participate in the system.

or people will figure out caching proxies eventually and pin their deps to a version that exists in the company repo

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

rotor posted:

it just means the one or two problem idiots who do this poo poo will be banned from npm. oh look, that's what happened

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

there are better ways to "stick it to the man" than publishing malicious javascript dependencies

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

akadajet posted:

there are better ways to "stick it to the man" than publishing malicious javascript dependencies

given the manner in which his house burnt down, I think he knew that too.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

post hole digger posted:

given the manner in which his house burnt down, I think he knew that too.

he took "direct action" against ever being employed again

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

akadajet posted:

I'm not so sure there are

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
maybe set up and advertise a business entity that companies can pay for work done, regardless how it is licensed? something that this guy likely knew how to do as a startup founder

oh wait, that's something you'd do if you actually want to rise out of your predicament, not drag others into it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Gazpacho posted:

maybe set up and advertise a business entity that companies can pay for work done, regardless how it is licensed? something that this guy likely knew how to do as a startup founder

oh wait, that's something you'd do if you actually want to rise out of your predicament, not drag others into it

yeah why didn't he just solve the issue of open source authors not being paid for their work? what a slug

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

akadajet posted:

i mean maybe not the best, but its certainly a good way to do it plus its just good in general if it discourages the use of javascript

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
actually, duh, the right way to do it is to throw an incredibly punitive license on it so everyone who just blindly updates gets hosed super hard and you clean up.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Gazpacho posted:

approaching US healthcare levels of building solutions to problems that shouldn't exist

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

on the other hand a software guild/union where anyone that isnt a dues paying member can't use the software is something that i'd be in for

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Progressive JPEG posted:

on the other hand a software guild/union where anyone that isnt a dues paying member can't use the software is something that i'd be in for

hmm

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Gazpacho posted:

since we keep circling this i will try with less sarcasm: a lot of people keep getting told that they will reap real rewards from doing open source work. build a portfolio, make something useful and it is an inherent good, you will get recognized, the successful open source people do make money, etc. etc. and it is mostly bullshit. if everyone is a perfectly rational actor recognizing a supposed objective reality, sure, they're idiots for giving poo poo away to start with expecting anything. should just set up a entity charging for the work, sure. but a lot of people are getting lied to by a lot of people (and weirdly those groups overlap heavily).

which does not mean all open source is bad, or that this insane guy is good, but we at least shouldn't fool young people into devaluing their (and others) work.

e: also, this may not be everyones favorite angle on this, but imagine trying to actually organize labor in this industry with scabs already at work even before a strike starts.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 10, 2022

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

since we keep circling this i will try with less sarcasm: a lot of people keep getting told that they will reap real rewards from doing open source work. build a portfolio, make something useful and it is an inherent good, you will get recognized, the successful open source people do make money, etc. etc. and it is mostly bullshit. if everyone is a perfectly rational actor recognizing a supposed objective reality, sure, they're idiots for giving poo poo away to start with expecting anything. should just set up a entity charging for the work, sure. but a lot of people are getting lied to by a lot of people (the groups overlapping heavily at that).

which does not mean all open source is bad, or that this insane guy is good, but we at least shouldn't fool young people into devaluing their (and others) work.

work for exposure is bad

giving away your work devalues the work of others

doing volunteer work for facebook is bad

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

since we keep circling this i will try with less sarcasm: a lot of people keep getting told that they will reap real rewards from doing open source work. build a portfolio, make something useful and it is an inherent good, you will get recognized, the successful open source people do make money, etc. etc. and it is mostly bullshit. if everyone is a perfectly rational actor recognizing a supposed objective reality, sure, they're idiots for giving poo poo away to start with expecting anything. should just set up a entity charging for the work, sure. but a lot of people are getting lied to by a lot of people (and weirdly those groups overlap heavily).

e: also, this may not be everyones favorite angle on this, but imagine trying to actually organize labor in this industry with scabs already at work even before a strike starts.
yeah i agree with all this. there are ideological apparatuses that promote open source as a moral principle and others that promote goldbug/libertarian ideas among the alienated. this guy chose a path that others had a part in laying out, something to be regretted and not valorized

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

a lot of people keep getting told that they will reap real rewards from doing open source work. build a portfolio, make something useful and it is an inherent good, you will get recognized, the successful open source people do make money, etc. etc.

it sounds like this dude did get recognized. it’s just that he got recognized as a crazy idiot who nobody wants to employ. and that was before this latest poo poo

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rjmccall posted:

it sounds like this dude did get recognized. it’s just that he got recognized as a crazy idiot who nobody wants to employ. and that was before this latest poo poo

seems to me like the open source economy has provided a niche for shitlords who can't work with other people but are ok at touching computer to be temporarily useful

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

FWIW i split the difference with stuff where the source is technically available for "portfolio"/showing off purposes but it's all istp stuff that's not relevant to commercial interests, while also using a poison pill license on top of that just in case

so the work is technically "exposed" (since i like showing it off anyway) but it's not given away

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

also quick ad for sourcehut which fits this model really well because:
- the issue tracker is your personal TODO list, not someone else's way to get free work. user reports can only be sent via mailing lists
- mailing lists are an optional feature and you can just have repos that effectively don't accept bug reports

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Progressive JPEG posted:

also quick ad for sourcehut which fits this model really well because:
- the issue tracker is your personal TODO list, not someone else's way to get free work. user reports can only be sent via mailing lists
- mailing lists are an optional feature and you can just have repos that effectively don't accept bug reports
what about a repo that responds to every bug report with "lol. lmao."? could you implement that functionality?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

FMguru posted:

what about a repo that responds to every bug report with "lol. lmao."? could you implement that functionality?

github actions allow you to do that pretty easily