Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
What an rear end in a top hat. People died to cover your rear end in that trench luke. What in the gently caress were you even thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

"I heard the voice of a dead old man who told me to turn the sensors off! He said everything would be fine if I trusted my feelings!"

I am so loving pissed at you right now and you come at me with this nonsense. What the gently caress. Did your oxygen spring a leak or something when you were on the run? I need to know you're just brain damaged and not actually loving defending this right now because if you aren't delusional from air deprivation I swear to god.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
That computer can run fifty eight billion calculations per second asswipe. You're a god damned moisture farmer.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
This is why the shot missed because you people didn't believe in the force

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
Luke was an agent of the empire. He gained the rebels trust and got into a position where they relied on him, only to sabotage their big attack.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

it doesn't matter, those targeting computers are cheap Incom crap, and hitting a two-meter target at that speed is impossible, even for a computer

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I guess hokey religions and ancient weapons were no match for a good blaster.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Luke fuming that they made him fly all the way to Hoth in a tiny, cramped X-wing just so some Mon Calamari fucker he's never met can wring him out.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Yavin 4, Yavin itself, All the other moons who the gently caress knows. All gone.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Pretty sure Palpatine celebrated by cruising over to Dantooine and blowing that up too. Then he probably cut the ribbon at a buffet or some poo poo.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

I'm sorry, I don't believe in Dantooine.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

This is Red 7. I saw that rear end in a top hat, way to go

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
*in my most high pitched mocking voice*

Just like bullseying womp rats back home. Oh it's totally possible I shot a womp rat. Well Luke maybe you shoulda asked the womp rat to take the fuckin' shot!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

We're spending a lot of time thinking about how we don't have Yavin 4 any more and I think we need to be spending more time thinking about how the Empire do have a Death Star still. Two, maybe, at this point.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Vader this is Sheev. Remember that thing about Skywalker? Yeah nevermind

Yes I'm sure.

You think he's your son? Well father of the year right here!

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 11, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Great shot kid.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Join me Luke. We're gonna have to spend like eighty, maybe ninety five days at the firing range but together we can rule this galaxy as barely mobile father and his incompetent crosseyed son.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

...did you try spinning, son?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So did Luke not go around for another pass? Because even if it managed to get a shot off at Yavin, there were no fighters left to protect the exhaust.

Did Wedge get it?

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
This is actually how one of those What If-type comics opens up.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

SlothfulCobra posted:

So did Luke not go around for another pass? Because even if it managed to get a shot off at Yavin, there were no fighters left to protect the exhaust.

Did Wedge get it?

if memory serves, the alliance was so under-funded that each x-wing was only carrying the two torpedoes. so there is no second pass. wedge or someone else could have tried, though

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Emrikol posted:

This is actually how one of those What If-type comics opens up.

And that story ends with Yoda crashing a Death Star into Coruscant.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Picturing Sheev waiting for decades as millions of stormtroopers try to actually search, room by room by hallway by gigantic open shaft, a space station the size of a chucklefucking moon for a two foot Muppet.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
'Sir we think he's using the vents to get around. We've outfitted the entire platoon with motion trackers but there seems to be some kinda glitch. Looks like an entire colony of them up there...'

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

reignofevil posted:

'Sir we think he's using the vents to get around. We've outfitted the entire platoon with motion trackers but there seems to be some kinda glitch. Looks like an entire colony of them up there...'

You know, given that Fox owned both those franchises, it's amazing I can't think off the top of my head any Star Wars / Alien crossover material. I guess Lucas wouldn't have signed off on something quite THAT blatant?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Asterite34 posted:

You know, given that Fox owned both those franchises, it's amazing I can't think off the top of my head any Star Wars / Alien crossover material. I guess Lucas wouldn't have signed off on something quite THAT blatant?

I think there was some comic that did this, but I can’t recall if it was officially authorized like the one with Han crashing on Earth and being killed (With Indiana Jones finding his skeleton) and Chewie becoming Sasquatch or something a fan did.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

fartknocker posted:

And that story ends with Yoda crashing a Death Star into Coruscant.

drat, Yoda decided gently caress Coruscant.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Caidin posted:

Picturing Sheev waiting for decades as millions of stormtroopers try to actually search, room by room by hallway by gigantic open shaft, a space station the size of a chucklefucking moon for a two foot Muppet.

And the legend lives on
From the deflector dish down
Of the Green one they call
Councilman Yodiiiii

As the big stations go
She was bigger than most
With a crew and a Darth Lord most clumsyyyy!

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 12, 2022

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

"Luke, the X-wing won't fire with the targeting system disengaged. It wouldn't even make any sense: fire what, at where? I don't know if there was a gas leak in the cockpit or whatever, but you just started babbling on comms about some force and some old man, then flew right over the target."

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
*Luke, struggling with the button to turn off the targeting computer*

"ENTER PASSCODE."

"ENTER PASSCODE."

"ENTER PASSCODE."

"Obi-wan are you gonna maybe tell me what I need here or-"

"Dunno what to tell ya luke, it was definitely a lever when I was flying"

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
He eventually got it off though. Just yanked the freaking cord.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

As a kid, I thought that the whole deal with the targeting computer was that you see all these other pilots focusing on their targeting computers and just getting gunned down. It was a definite pattern. I think the idea might've been that they were too busy focusing on the computer to dodge the fighters behind them. Rogue Squadron actually added to the idea by implementing targeting computers in a way that explicitly messes with your ability to see obstacles in the trench, so it's real easy to crash.

It makes sense, seeing as how firing the torpedoes is a complicated process that distracts a lot from flying. Most of the other games made torpedoes homing weapons by default, because they were under the misapprehension that you're supposed to somehow hit other fighters with bombs. Honestly they should've had a craft with a second seat for somebody else to muck around with handling the torpedoes. That's what they did in Dambusters. And then maybe the rebellion is only going with single pilots because it doesn't have enough butts for seats. Everything about the Y-Wing's design seems like it should be designed with room for another seat in there, the dedicated bomber job, the longer cockpit with a middle-entrance, and the goddamn turret that would be near-useless otherwise.

So really, it's Han Solo's fault for not deciding to come back sooner so they'd have somebody to cover their asses while they focused on their targeting computers. Or even better, maybe if Han decided to join the assault from the beginning, they could've had two extra butts in seats to give some of those Y-Wings a dedicated bomber/gunner.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

reignofevil posted:

He eventually got it off though. Just yanked

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
You won't believe this, I had the shot lined up perfectly. PERFECTLY. All of a sudden what do I hear in my ear? "HURRR let's blow this thing and go home". Totally distracts me and fucks up my shot. And like wow what a great idea, blow up the death star. Never would've thought of that on my own. I thought we were all just there to go sight seeing. Han Solo is such an rear end in a top hat.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Here's your problem, see? A womp rat has chewed right through this cord.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What do you MEAN you didn't see the holes the womp rat chewed its way through? The dang thing's two-meters!

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

Honestly they should've had a craft with a second seat for somebody else to muck around with handling the torpedoes. That's what they did in Dambusters. And then maybe the rebellion is only going with single pilots because it doesn't have enough butts for seats. Everything about the Y-Wing's design seems like it should be designed with room for another seat in there, the dedicated bomber job, the longer cockpit with a middle-entrance, and the goddamn turret that would be near-useless otherwise.

This was explicitly the case in earlier drafts, and it was originally designed with room for more crew (a pilot, two gunners, and an astromech).

In the second draft, Luke flies one of these instead of an X-wing, and doesn't even make the killing shot at all - it's actually Threepio in the gunner's seat whose robotic brain is advanced enough to make the necessary calculations - the Force doesn't even factor into it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Robot Style posted:

In the second draft, Luke flies one of these instead of an X-wing, and doesn't even make the killing shot at all - it's actually Threepio in the gunner's seat whose robotic brain is advanced enough to make the necessary calculations - the Force doesn't even factor into it.

Should've made that movie instead tbh

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Threepio stays winning, hk47 eat your heart out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

SlothfulCobra posted:

What do you MEAN you didn't see the holes the womp rat chewed its way through? The dang thing's two-meters!

ITT no-one else in the rebellion actually knew how big a womp rat was supposed to be, except Biggs and he was off his tits.