Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

akadajet posted:

he took "direct action" against ever being employed again

I really doubt that. It's been eight hours and I already forgot the guys name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I'd like to point out that this is what he decided to do after receiving mental health treatment.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

looking forward to this turning out to be a gonzo marketing stunt for a new show on comedy central cartoon network

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I'd like to point out that this is what he decided to do after receiving mental health treatment.

… sounds like people itt know marak squires more personally than I do

e: yikes Twitter searches appear to deliver

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I got my initial name and exposure from writing a book for free online, but the truth there is that any random person reading a book gets to interact with it in far more depth than code and you can put a lot more of your personality in it, and then still get a book deal and make the equivalent of close to (or below) minimum wage far more easily than with code, but with as many job/speaking opportunities lined up with it.

Like thinking of it in these terms I was a god drat genius [actually: lucky] to focus on this at first, and it's worth it forever more than code.

Plus almost nobody asks you to maintain and patch a book past publication.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Also: creative commons licenses are incredibly clearer in intent than OSS licenses and I love them.

Like look at this poo poo:

CC BY-NC-SA: This license allows reusers to distribute, remix, adapt, and build upon the material in any medium or format for noncommercial purposes only, and only so long as attribution is given to the creator. If you remix, adapt, or build upon the material, you must license the modified material under identical terms.

CC BY-NC-SA includes the following elements:
BY – Credit must be given to the creator
NC – Only noncommercial uses of the work are permitted
SA – Adaptations must be shared under the same terms

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

prisoner of waffles posted:

… sounds like people itt know marak squires more personally than I do

e: yikes Twitter searches appear to deliver

IDK him, but Look at the timeline - crazy house full of bombmaking stuff, child endangerment charge, involuntary psychiatric hospitalization. Articles were written in September 2020, In November 2020 he stops updating his libraries and expects to get paid for his work. He got mental health treatment and realized what he was doing with colors and faker for no gain was delusional.

My assumption is that the reason there are no more news articles about a crazed bomb maker being investigated by the feds is that he either checked himself in voluntarily for a relatively long stay (4-6 weeks is a long time today), or he agreed to a criminal mental health diversion (no more public updates).

Also looking at the github, I don't think they locked him out to protect the giants of the industry. He probably triggered an internal process that everyone except for one ten billionth of the planet would be glad existed if it looked like their account was being used maliciously.

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 11, 2022

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Would have been fun in the psych eval - "So this code that got saved in a doomsday vault, the one massive corporations are using to exploit you - we googled it, it's real, and it seems you did that for free?".

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I really doubt that. It's been eight hours and I already forgot the guys name.

but have you offered him a job in the past eight hours

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Would have been fun in the psych eval - "So this code that got saved in a doomsday vault, the one massive corporations are using to exploit you - we googled it, it's real, and it seems you did that for free?".

there’s a vignette in infinite jest about a psych patient going into a mri that i think about frequently

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

PCjr sidecar posted:

there’s a vignette in infinite jest about a psych patient going into a mri that i think about frequently

lol u read infinite jest

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

"infinite jest" is a short form for "infinite js test", which refers to everyone's workplace's CI config

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

DaTroof posted:

but have you offered him a job in the past eight hours

This really was nothing. He pointed out that his code was unmaintaned, which was responsible post log4j. He also pointed out how important it is to hire developers with the skill to be able to do something other than glue NPM packages together. Because those were the people he hurt. The literal parasites that have built careers/enterprises off the NPM "ecosystem" without contributing much of anything back.

As a "local man" whose been in the news with a decent personality, credentials, and talent - whether he'll have trouble finding 1099/w2 work after this comes down to his people skills. Not the fact he made clowns out of a bunch of people for relying on unmaintained code.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
If this caused issues for people in production, all it did was pan the cameras down in the video conference to find out who doesn't wear pants.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

SYSV Fanfic posted:

If this caused issues for people in production, all it did was pan the cameras down in the video conference to find out who doesn't wear pants.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

dude is a wannabe domestic terrorist who burned down his apartment trying to be the next boston bomber.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

his open sores claim to fame is a library with constants for ansi color codes

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

akadajet posted:

dude is a wannabe domestic terrorist who burned down his apartment trying to be the next boston bomber.

its a "the worst person you know just made a great point" type situation. No one is saying he's a chill bro.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

akadajet posted:

and yet he was able to completely hose a whole bunch of production machines

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

akadajet posted:

Someone sounds mad the camera panned down.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i work on some typescript stuff and yeah some transitive dependencies via test tooling pulled in the latest version of the colors library

it just broke CI for a while, but whatever that whole ecosystem is just eternally throwing poo poo at the wall anyway so it's not any more busted than usual

so it was personally an annoyance for me but i think for most people it's basically a warning shot for why you should pin dependencies if it's anything that matters

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Progressive JPEG posted:

so it was personally an annoyance for me but i think for most people it's basically a warning shot for why you should pin dependencies if it's anything that matters

But that means having to keep track about all those notices about imperfections in the parts of your free boxtruck when you do maintenance.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

the best practice in jvm land is to pick whatever is the latest version when you pull in the dependency and then never update it ever. then five years later you do a rewrite in spring boot

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Nomnom Cookie posted:

the best practice in jvm land is to pick whatever is the latest version when you pull in the dependency and then never update it ever. then five years later you do a rewrite in spring boot

if i need a library i download it and check the jar into source control

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

rotor posted:

if i need a library i download it and check the jar into source control

lib directories haven't been a best practice since 2004 at the latest

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Nomnom Cookie posted:

lib directories haven't been a best practice since 2004 at the latest

oh no! i'm not adhering to best practices!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

rotors mother breaks down sobbing, his father tears his shirt while screaming "i have no son!"

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Someone sounds mad the camera panned down.

lol

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

rotor posted:

adhering to best practices is also a best practice

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
telling people what i made up is 'best practices' is how i get that consulting paper.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

akadajet posted:

perhaps people should use libraries with single ansi colors (1.1 million weekly downloads)

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
what the gently caress

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Zamujasa posted:

perhaps people should use libraries with single ansi colors (1.1 million weekly downloads)

it also has its own dependency

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Zamujasa posted:

i try not to front on people for poo poo they give away for free, but that guy's contributions are an utter embarrassment

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Zamujasa posted:

the function is one third as long as the list of keywords in the json file.

e:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i feel like the pathological case of dependency management for node is really driven by Problem 3 aka using open source as a resume.

"Why yes I have many npm libraries, each with several million downloads each" [each one is a one-liner]

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
if you really want a hearty lol there's always log-symbols

21,984,229 weekly downloads and 3,637 dependents

here it is:

code:
import chalk from 'chalk';
import isUnicodeSupported from 'is-unicode-supported';

const main = {
	info: chalk.blue('ℹ'),
	success: chalk.green('✔'),
	warning: chalk.yellow('⚠'),
	error: chalk.red('✖'),
};

const fallback = {
	info: chalk.blue('i'),
	success: chalk.green('√'),
	warning: chalk.yellow('‼'),
	error: chalk.red('×'),
};

const logSymbols = isUnicodeSupported() ? main : fallback;

export default logSymbols;

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

rotor posted:

i feel like the pathological case of dependency management for node is really driven by Problem 3 aka using open source as a resume.

"Why yes I have many npm libraries, each with several million downloads each" [each one is a one-liner]

this is definitely a pathological case. there's a middle ground imo. i have open source poo poo that i put on my resume, and one of my projects was a reason i got my current job, but poo poo, i'd feel like an rear end in a top hat showing someone my npm package that imports a single ansi color. wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

DaTroof posted:

this is definitely a pathological case. there's a middle ground imo. i have open source poo poo that i put on my resume, and one of my projects was a reason i got my current job, but poo poo, i'd feel like an rear end in a top hat showing someone my npm package that imports a single ansi color. wtf

what I mean is that the 'ansi-red' package and left-pad and all the others are predictable outcomes of someone whose career is incentivized to have popular open source projects

cobra farms but for lovely single-liner js packages