Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I'm loving Jaxler's energy right now. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

3 minute world record while doing commentary the whole time holy poo poo

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Gonna add this game to my list of games I’d never heard of before this GDQ and now I wanna buy.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I'm a little confused, the commentator mentioned someone in chat saying world record is 47 minutes or so but apparently 53 is? If it was a different category I would've expected the commentator to say that as opposed to just going "nah"

rox
Sep 7, 2016

they measure by ingame time, not realtime

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Flesnolk posted:

I'm a little confused, the commentator mentioned someone in chat saying world record is 47 minutes or so but apparently 53 is? If it was a different category I would've expected the commentator to say that as opposed to just going "nah"

Ingame time vs. RTA timing. The timer on GDQ is real time, but the WR timing uses the ingame timer which probably removes loads or something.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Flesnolk posted:

In game time versus real time. Games that track time minus loads and cutscenes and whatnot have tracking of those things to keep it all fair across all platforms and consoles

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Flesnolk posted:

They track by IGT using the in-game timer. The timer also ignores loads.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
IGT, not actual time, got it, thanks :V

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
L A M P

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

IMJack posted:

"Oh yeah, this trick that's only ever been done twice, I don't expect to get it"

[does the trick]

"We didn't even know if it was repeatable because we didn't get it on video." "Well NOW it's on video!"

rox
Sep 7, 2016

host giving me pre flight captains address vibes

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I could not have asked for a commentator with a better accent for this game.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

sprinting through the streets in broad daylight dragging a half naked corpse by their neck

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Hoo boy, some parts of this game seem like they really haven't aged well.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
this game looks like it's going to fall apart basically every single second

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

The faces in this game are - I'm not sure I'd call them a treasure, exactly - but they're something.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

heads don't need bones, turns out

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpJI4X4P4JA

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
47's balloon-head sprung a leak at some point

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

oh no the head glitch persists into cutscenes, this is terrifying

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
It really is impressive how far Hitman has come from... this

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I’ve never played Hitman before, but I feel like I remember the main character having a skull bone most of the time.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah, one of the few things I remember about this game is the load times

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I'm glad they're donating, but drat, the donation messages are full of people who think they're funny and aren't

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Serious Sam 4 is a game I quit during the first level, and boy this run is not changing my mind

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
what is the purpose of the Serious Sam series

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

elentar posted:

Originally it was about walking backwards and holding LMB but I'm not so sure any more

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Judging from the comments Jaxler's Pumpkin jack run was as good as I hoped. Gotta watch later.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

elentar posted:

When Serious Sam First and Second Encounter came out, it was "look our game engine can put absolute truckloads of enemies on screen, so many that much of the gameplay is run backwards shooting". Then they made Serious Sam 2 which was an absolutely wild and overstuffed with content and art game trying to mold Serious Sam into a slightly more go forward shooter. This failed horribly, so they vowed not to do that again and now serious sam games are either spinoffs made by 5 ukranians in a bunker living entirely on vodka and ps1 demodiscs or mainline games built on the bones of a failed modern day middle east call of duty shooter knock off that sucks.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

I was given to understand that Serious Sam was a fast-paced arena shooter, at least back in the day, but this one appears to be, like...worse Titanfall?

No offense to the runner, he's doing a great job, but the game isn't really backing him up here.

e: okay this is unfair to the runner but I'm kinda just wishing this were a Titanfall 2 run now, that's a great run.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MuffiTuffiWuffi posted:

I was given to understand that Serious Sam was a fast-paced arena shooter, at least back in the day, but this one appears to be, like...worse Titanfall?

No offense to the runner, he's doing a great job, but the game isn't really backing him up here.

Serious Sam 3 is one of the absolute brownest shooters ever made, it is king brown, and was made when their middle east shooter game got canceled. Suddenly a game about hoards of wacky enemies got shoved into a realistic art style, boring modern weapons, and slower and clunkier movement. Serious Sam 4 looked at 3 and went, yes, more of that please and feels like its a very expensive shooter made in poser

Serious Sam 4 is on gamepass if you want to try it, and it is awful

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Barudak posted:

failed modern day middle east call of duty shooter knock off that sucks.

That explains him plinking away with an M4 half the time

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Barudak posted:

When Serious Sam First and Second Encounter came out, it was "look our game engine can put absolute truckloads of enemies on screen, so many that much of the gameplay is run backwards shooting". Then they made Serious Sam 2 which was an absolutely wild and overstuffed with content and art game trying to mold Serious Sam into a slightly more go forward shooter. This failed horribly, so they vowed not to do that again and now serious sam games are either spinoffs made by 5 ukranians in a bunker living entirely on vodka and ps1 demodiscs or mainline games built on the bones of a failed modern day middle east call of duty shooter knock off that sucks.

this is very instructive thanks

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Barudak posted:

Serious Sam 3 is one of the absolute brownest shooters ever made, it is king brown, and was made when their middle east shooter game got canceled. Suddenly a game about hoards of wacky enemies got shoved into a realistic art style, boring modern weapons, and slower and clunkier movement. Serious Sam 4 looked at 3 and went, yes, more of that please and feels like its a very expensive shooter made in poser

Serious Sam 4 is on gamepass if you want to try it, and it is awful

Well that sounds just awful. My condolences to the Serious Sam fans.

e: good Lord this was released in 2020, it does not look it!

MuffiTuffiWuffi fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jan 11, 2022

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
And now you're going to have slightly more of it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MuffiTuffiWuffi posted:

Well that sounds just awful. My condolences to the Serious Sam fans.

e: good Lord this was released in 2020, it does not look it!

I told you, this game is outrageously ugly.

Serious Sam 4: Planet Badass (real original title), was promoted as having the capbility to have 1,000,000 enemies in a battle at once. Its still in the game, but you may have noticed you'ce already forgotten where in this game it was used.

Also, to really capture how much Serious Sam 2's failure broke Croteams minds, serious sam 3 takes place before Serious Sam 2 and Serious Sam 4 takes place before Serious Sam 3. Serious Sam 2, not second encounter, Serious Sam 2, was also not included in the complete collection of Serious Sam for so long (like a decade+) that most people don't realize Second Encounter isn't the actual Serious Sam 2.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jan 11, 2022

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

At least there's a remix of Grand Cathedral, one of the best tracks in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
This guy really didn't bring his A game to GDQ